UFC 253 Adesamya v. Costa Discussion

Hot take:

Here's how I know Costa is going to win; Adesanya is not going to stand in the center and trade with him. He's going to wing around the peripheral of the cage slinging fancy shit. Adesanya doesn't have the power to keep Costa honest, let alone put him away. This fight will basically be Costa chasing Izzy around until he catches him, gets against the fence, and smashes him to pieces.

Not sure what round it happens in. But it will happen

I could be wrong here, but I think Izzy is the more skilled fighter and wins this fight.

FWIW if Costa does win, you should get your money back when the fight gets overturned to a no-contest after he pisses hot.

I could be wrong here, but I think Izzy is the more skilled fighter and wins this fight.

FWIW if Costa does win, you should get your money back when the fight gets overturned to a no-contest after he pisses hot.

Izzy is more skilled. I lost a ton on Whitaker fight. Paulo gets tested by USADA. He looks juiced but it would be hard to get away with it.

The Hardy breakdown reminds how much a matador Izzy can be. Paulo looks like caveman but he is no beginner. He knows what time it is. Should be awesome. Can you imagine fans and walkout tunes. The whitaker/Adesamya venue was electric.

Last edited:

You're not wrong. Izzy is definitely more skilled. However, Paulo is more powerful, has a granite chin, and will pressure Izzy like noone has.
One thing I'm not sure about is ground game for either fighter.

Even tho this is eubanks 3rd wait cut in the last month and Vieria is real tuff I'm respecting eubanks at the moment as she is real tuff too

Seeing a lot of love for Camur. Ya, he is a young, tough wrestle boxer type. Knight only got knocked out by nchukwi. He is massive guy and he is live.

Hot take:

Here's how I know Costa is going to win; Adesanya is not going to stand in the center and trade with him. He's going to wing around the peripheral of the cage slinging fancy shit. Adesanya doesn't have the power to keep Costa honest, let alone put him away. This fight will basically be Costa chasing Izzy around until he catches him, gets against the fence, and smashes him to pieces.

Not sure what round it happens in. But it will happen

or he’s gonna follow him all around the cage and while stalking run right into a huge kick that turns his lights out. Kelvin did the same thing. He was able to hurt Izzy but he was following him and walked into huge shots and got hurt.

can Costa hurt Izzy? Sure, he’s got power if he can catch him, but there will be a severe speed advantage for Izzy here. Also, I didn’t see, but no one is concerned about costa coming off the long layoff and torn bicep?

or he’s gonna follow him all around the cage and while stalking run right into a huge kick that turns his lights out. Kelvin did the same thing. He was able to hurt Izzy but he was following him and walked into huge shots and got hurt.

can Costa hurt Izzy? Sure, he’s got power if he can catch him, but there will be a severe speed advantage for Izzy here. Also, I didn’t see, but no one is concerned about costa coming off the long layoff and torn bicep?

Great stuff. I need to keep my antennas up about bicep injury. It seems to me that experts are on Izzy and regular Joe's on Costa. Idk

His weight cut is in order.

I’ll give you credit Johnny you know way more of these fighters than I do

FWIW, I fell hard for it a couple of years ago after being more casual. I watch every fight, every card My daughter has been rolling for 2 years and at the beginning of the plandemic I watched every card, every fight on fight pass thru 2015. I love betting it. I love watching it. I'm into it. Let's go.

Great stuff. I need to keep my antennas up about bicep injury. It seems to me that experts are on Izzy and regular Joe's on Costa. Idk

His weight cut is in order.

I do find it a little bizarre I haven’t heard a thing about the torn bicep, good or bad. I’m assuming it’s fully healed and 100% but you never know if it’ll affect his striking even the slightest.

also noteworthy I believe this is costa’s 1st 5 round fight. Can he pace himself or is he gonna sell out rounds 1 and 2 thinking he can end it early and then if it doesn’t will he gas? Against Yoel he noticeably tired.

I do find it a little bizarre I haven’t heard a thing about the torn bicep, good or bad. I’m assuming it’s fully healed and 100% but you never know if it’ll affect his striking even the slightest.

also noteworthy I believe this is costa’s 1st 5 round fight. Can he pace himself or is he gonna sell out rounds 1 and 2 thinking he can end it early and then if it doesn’t will he gas? Against Yoel he noticeably tired.

The Romero fight was a war. Costa has come a long way. He has control over these issues that muscular dudes face with gassing. Dan Hardy seems convinced that Costa will of course come forward but do so more measured. I see the Gastellum punch that required him to lean as far forward with full extension to reach Izzy. It connected and knocked him down. Whitaker kept leaping into range completely open. That's the key Izzy 80" reach, crazy head movement and long legs keeping monsters out of range and picking them off when they do.

In my mind if Costa gets in his range let alone clinch, he is going to unload with so much power, I just cant get away from it.

Hooker has put his money where his mouth is, too, with the Kiwi explaining he’s put money on Adesanya getting the finish in the second half of the fight.

“My money, my actual bet down, is Israel stopping him in the third, fourth or fifth round,” he revealed. “I think Israel TKO-ing him is only paying $2.50 or something mad like that. But for him to stop him in like the third, fourth or fifth is like $9.00, $10.00 or $12.00 dollars. So, I feel like he’s gonna stop him later in the fight in the third, fourth or fifth. That’s where my money’s sitting.”

Hooker also gave his personal insight into the hotel meeting between Adesanya and Costa and suggested that the discussion might not have been as cordial as some may have first thought.

“I didn’t think it was very friendly,” he said. “Israel was just, like, poking him, right? Israel was calling him skinny, and Costa didn’t have much to say coming back. Interesting, interesting. It’s hard to read the facial expressions and intensity when the guys are wearing masks.

“From me sitting there, I know Israel quite well, that’s him poking the bear. And to me, it seemed like Paulo Costa was the one kind of downplaying the situation. I feel like Israel was the one instigating and kind of stirring the pot. Maybe he’s learning a few of my tricks. I love to stir the old pot!”

Izzy just too good imo. Leg kicks, his variety in his arsenal, he's a great counter guy. I like him to control the fight in the later rounds and keep smacking Costa with the leg.

8 inch reach advantage is huge for izzy here to keep distance and kick and jab mixed in with some power shots. He's very underrated in his striking accuracy and damage.

You did see the shots from SteRoimero right? Not saying Izzy can't hurt him, but Costa has faced much worse.

No way this goes 5. If you like Costa I’d play him by KO in round 1, 2 and if you like Izzy I’d take the ml or inside distance. Costa gonns have to catch him early. Don’t see him stopping him late, I think Izzy has a much better chance for a late stoppage with a worn down costa

Back