UFC 194 (one play)

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Yoel Romero +123 (medium)

I'm probably more excited to watch this matchup of two cartoonish-looking physical specimens than I am the Rockhold/Weidman & McGregor/Aldo fights. Both fighters are up there in age -- Souza is 36 and Romero 38 -- and while Souza has much more MMA experience in the octagon, Romero has traveled the world as a world-class wrestler, medaling in five total world championships as well as earning silver (2000) and bronze (2004) medals for Cuba in the Olympics before making the decision to pursue MMA in late 2007. Winner likely faces the winner of Rockhold/Weidman for a title shot, so a lot at stake here, especially given their ages.

Souza aka "Jacare" (72-inch reach), who is riding an 8-fight win streak (5-0 in UFC), is one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world with several BJJ world championships to his name. The Brazilian has made huge strides in the stand-up game as he's proven inside the UFC octagon with his quick, straight powerful jabs. Jacare has won by submission 73% of the time by using a combination of size advantage, elite grappling and the aforementioned improved technical striking in order to take his opponents to the ground to set up the BJJ.

Romero aka "Warrior of God" (73-inch reach, southpaw), who is 6-0 in the UFC, is one of the best I've seen at shooting for a double leg takedown (besides Bones) as well as taking his opponents down via the inside leg trip. His movements and balance around the octagon for a man his size at the age of 38 is mind boggling. WoG is known for his wild fights and unpredictability which have some MMA analysts labeling him as a low IQ fighter. Unlike Jacare on the feet (who is more reserved), WoG is a dynamic, swing-for-the-fences power striker who sports a 90% KO/TKO rate so far; he is surprisingly accurate with those creative leg kicks and haymakers from all angles... and that superb balance makes him less susceptible to counter strikes. After the "stoolgate" incident from the Kennedy fight (funny few were talking about the illegal glove grab tactic by Kennedy to set up the near KO), I saw a portion of the MMA betting community begin to doubt WoG (5d opened Romero +145 and saw it at +170 at one point vs Machida), and WoG responded by finishing off Machida in the 3rd via elbow strikes from the halfguard in what was a dominant performance.

This one should be a toss-up at best, so feel like the value lies with Romero here at the current #. Romero's Olympic wrestling background will make it hard for Jacare to take him to his comfort zone. Even then, I'd give a slight edge to the BJJ guru on the ground. I see Romero setting the pace while at the same time keeping Jacare off balance, being first to the punch and the overall more explosive fighter on the feet. Jacare won't be able to bully him in the clinch, that's for sure. If he can keep it standing, I like Romero's chances at getting his 6th UFC knockout.

GL

Last edited:
Romero wants nothing of Rockhold.

Romero wants nothing of a 5-round fight. Granted he emptied his tank in that first round when he smelled blood (probably should have been stopped after seeing Jacare wobbling back to his corner), WoG's gas tank at 38 is like that of an SUV. Romero has better head movements than Weidman when both have their legs, but yeah, Rockhold is going to T-off on that ass if WoG doesn't get that first round KO/TKO like Belfort did back in May 2013. I was guilty of not factoring in conditioning as much I should have despite the whispers of Romero's tank getting drained quickly during his previous fights. Hard to see this one making it to the championship rounds.

Back