UEFA Champions League - Matchday 3

Hakan's Picks

Pretty much a regular
CSKA Moscow v. Manchester City
Pick: Manchester City -157 (5Dimes)

Man City will need to grab all six points in the back-to-back matches against CSKA, if they want to keep up with Roma in Group E – the “group of death.” CSKA will be missing their main scoring threat Dzagoev, who is serving a suspension. In addition, the stadium will be empty – as the club has been punished due to racist chants by their supporters. I jumped on this too early; the line is now down to -140.

FC Porto v. Athletic Bilbao
Pick: FC Porto -146 (5Dimes)

Bilbao has been horrible this season. Still not sure how they managed to beat Napoli to qualify. They are last place in Group H. The Basque team are 17th place in La Liga, having won only one game out of eight, while scoring a measly five goals. Porto are the better team, and should win this one at home.

Liverpool v. Real Madrid
Pick: Real Madrid -121 (5Dimes)

Liverpool are not the same team without Suarez. Real Madrid are currently firing on all cylinders, scoring an astonishing 32 goals in the seven matches since losing to Real Sociedad. Ronaldo has taken his game to another level, and is on pace to break all kinds of records. Madrid wins this one easily.

-Also have a strong opinion on Roma to at least draw. Roma are really good, and are especially strong at home. Bayern isn't going to win all six games, and I feel this might be the one they don't win.

Will probably add a couple more picks later.

Futbol/SoccerPicks: 9-14-1
NFL Picks: 8-6

Adding one more:

Chelsea v. Maribor
Pick: Chelsea -2 at -153 (5Dimes)

Chelsea will cruise in this one. I don't think Mourinho will rest anyone, as they are already missing Costa, Ramires, and possibly Schurrle. They should win by 3, but I'm taking -2 just in case as insurance to push. No way they win by just one.

Last edited:
Adding one more:

BATE Borisov v. Shakhtar Donetsk
Pick: Shakhtar Donetsk +102 (5Dimes)

Lucescu has been loading this Shakhtar with young Brazilian talent for years now. Big teams in Europe keep scooping them up, but he keeps finding new ones. Bernard, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Taison, and Adriano are all Brazilian, and they all are quality players. Shakhtar have a lot of experience in Europe, winning the Europa League a few years ago - and are regulars in the CL. This Shakhtar team may not be as strong as they were a couple of years ago, but they are better than BATE. These teams are no stranger to one another, as Ukraine and Belarus have a long shared history. Shakhtar will probably advance from the group, along with Porto – and I like them to win here.

Adding one more for today:

Anderlecht v. Arsenal
Pick: Arsenal +103 (5Dimes)

Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League for the last 17 consecutive seasons. They have made it past the initial group stage every year since the 1999-2000 season, and have made it to at least the Round of 16 for 11 years running. Despite their poor domestic form, and a few injuries – Arsenal are head and shoulders above Anderlecht, who have finished bottom of the group their last seven times in the tournament. Anderlecht themselves are not exactly in the best form either, having drawn their last two domestic ties. I'm not worried about Arsenal starting its third-string keeper, as they have far superior talent in midfield and up top, and will be on the attack for most of the match. Arsenal will have to take all six points from the Belgians, if they want a chance of finishing top of the group.

Futbol/Soccer Picks: 13-15-1

Adding one more for today:

Anderlecht v. Arsenal
Pick: Arsenal +103 (5Dimes)

Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League for the last 17 consecutive seasons. They have made it past the initial group stage every year since the 1999-2000 season, and have made it to at least the Round of 16 for 11 years running. Despite their poor domestic form, and a few injuries – Arsenal are head and shoulders above Anderlecht, who have finished bottom of the group their last seven times in the tournament. Anderlecht themselves are not exactly in the best form either, having drawn their last two domestic ties. I'm not worried about Arsenal starting its third-string keeper, as they have far superior talent in midfield and up top, and will be on the attack for most of the match. Arsenal will have to take all six points from the Belgians, if they want a chance of finishing top of the group.

Futbol/Soccer Picks: 13-15-1

Back