UCF vs Auburn Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pick Motivated UCF to Cover Against Heavily Favored Auburn

No. 12 UCF (12-0) plays No. 7 Auburn (10-3) on Monday, January 1, at 12:30 ET in the Peach Bowl. Auburn opened as 8-point favorites, but are now favored by as many as 10.

Psychology is a crucial betting angle in bowl games. This was already evident in the Oregon vs Boise State game, when the previously high-flying Ducks produced only 2 offensive touchdowns and were never in the game, despite being favored by 8 points, because they were emotionally reconciling themselves with the departure of Coach Taggart.

Auburn is dealing with disappointment. They had been in the playoff discussions but were left out of the playoffs in favor of a team that they had beaten soundly.

The Tigers don’t have anything to gain by beating UCF, but UCF has everything to gain by beating Auburn. They were never in the playoff discussion because the committee refused to respect a mid-major school. So they have no reason to be disappointed, but every reason to be pumped by the prospect of achieving a tremendous upset against a major SEC program in order to maintain their undefeated season. Head Coach Scott Frost will depart for his new job at Nebraska. But he decided to coach UCF in the Bowl Game to help finish what his team started.

In order to score enough points for a cover, Auburn will have to rely on its quarterback play to stretch out UCF’s defense and otherwise make its offense more prolific. Auburn is 0-3 ATS when throwing for fewer than 200 yards. In those 3 non-covers, the opposing quarterback was more efficient and threw for more yards.

UCF’s defense is underrated. They have misrepresented themselves on national television by being involved in high-scoring affairs with a lot of quick scores. Against USF, all of UCF’s touchdown drives lasted less than 3 minutes (UCF also had a kickoff return touchdown). Against Memphis, Memphis had nearly 7 more minutes of time of possession and the game went to overtime. Quick scores tend to lead to quick scores from the opponent, who gets the benefit of facing a poorly rested defense.

In terms of opposing passer rating, UCF’s pass defense ranks 45th. For instance, they held SMU’s Ben Hicks to a season-low 106 rating. On the season Hicks' rating is 144.7.

McKenzie Milton will outperform his Auburn counterpart at quarterback. Milton is acclimated to the spotlight, heaving led his team to a victory in the superbowl-like atmosphere against USF on primetime television. Milton is prolific: 69 percent completion, 3795 yards, 35 touchdowns to 9 interceptions, 497 rushing yards on 5.3 YPC. Of course his numbers are inflated by soft competition. What makes Milton trustworthy is the versatility of his skill-set. He is dangerous throwing and running. But unlike most mobile quarterbacks, he has a high completion percentage because of his accuracy. He is accurate in short throws but also ranks among NCAAF leaders in passer rating in deep passes, deep passing touchdowns and yards on deep passes.

Auburn backers will say that UCF hasn’t faced a team of Auburn’s caliber. But it’s also true that Auburn hasn’t faced a quarterback like Milton, nor has Auburn's physical defense yet encountered an-tempo play style like UCF’s that can wear them down.

The Verdict

UCF will cover because Milton is a prolific quarterback who can outperform Auburn’s quarterback. UCF can score enough with its up-tempo offense and secure the cover with its underrated defense. The Golden Knights will be more motivated to prove themselves.

NCAAF Pick: UCF +10

Last edited:
Will be opposite here. AU is used to playing as the little brother. There coach chose to stay in the midst of being lured away. UCF has not seen a d-line with the talent AU fields. Big mismatch with AU O-line and UCF D-line. Big receivers 6’3”+ on the AU side. Just don’t think a SEC school is going to let a nonner push them around.

Good read.

Hicks stat might not apply after tonight ....

Lmao didn't his o-coordinator depart? These bowl games are obviously a different betting beast than regular season. Smu so out of it. I'll add it's Hicks' regular season rating. Thanks

Psychology is a crucial betting angle in bowl games. This was already evident in the Oregon vs Boise State game, when the previously high-flying Ducks produced only 2 offensive touchdowns and were never in the game, despite being favored by 8 points, because they were emotionally reconciling themselves with the departure of Coach Taggart.

Auburn is dealing with disappointment. They had been in the playoff discussions but were left out of the playoffs in favor of a team that they had beaten soundly.

• Oregon is a team that thinks they should be top 10. Being in that no name bowl is alot different than a New Year's day bowl. I do not see the correlation between Auburn & Oregon in this example
  • To your point, their HC just left...Auburn's just signed an extension
  • tOSU, Wisconsin, etc. were disappointed too
The Tigers don’t have anything to gain by beating UCF, but UCF has everything to gain by beating Auburn. They were never in the playoff discussion because the committee refused to respect a mid-major school. So they have no reason to be disappointed, but every reason to be pumped by the prospect of achieving a tremendous upset
  • examples of showing when this did happen - Boise v. Oklahoma (i think it was) and when it is not the case ... NIU vs. whoever it was and got murdered
  • no team, not in the playoff, has anything to gain in theory outside of the loving to play the game
  • Since Thursday, I don't think motivation has been in question for any of the teams....Auburn would be the first, don't see it happening
UCF’s defense is underrated. They have misrepresented themselves on national television by being involved in high-scoring affairs with a lot of quick scores
  • this entire bowl season you've pointed out team's competition via their resume. Ex: TCU v. Bryce Love run game. Who the heck has UCF played to make you feel confident saying they have a good defense? Even if slightly under valued, they literally played no one of note that you can hang your hat on and the offenses they did play that are solid did quite well anyway you want to slice it
Auburn backers will say that UCF hasn’t faced a team of Auburn’s caliber. But it’s also true that Auburn hasn’t faced a quarterback like Milton, nor has Auburn's physical defense yet encountered an-tempo play style like UCF’s that can wear them down.
  • maybe it exists, but where is the justification that Milton is as great as you are painting him to be? You are saying things like prolific, acclaimed, etc. but nothing that really supports it
  • Auburn has not faced a QB of Milton's caliber.... Bryant, Lock, Fitzgerald, Fromm, Hurts

so, i just really disagree with the majority of what you say in the above. I haven't laid the 10 yet, maybe I will.

I was thinking of Auburn and Iowa a couple years ago, when Iowa had just needed to win to get in

UCF held Memphis to 13

I do support my point about Milton. Like his leadership in deep passer rating. Whereas Bryant can't throw down the field, Jalen can't throw at all, Fitz has accuracy problems, Fromm can't carry an offense, Lock isn't versatile like Milton is...

Last edited:
I was thinking of Auburn and Iowa a couple years ago, when Iowa had just needed to win to get in

UCF held Memphis to 13

I do support my point about Milton. Like his leadership in deep passer rating. Whereas Bryant can't throw down the field, Jalen can't throw at all, Fitz has accuracy problems, Fromm can't carry an offense, Lock isn't versatile like Milton is...
They held Memphis to 13 once, and had 2 abysmal performances vs. USF & Memphis. so, 66% of the time versus a quality offense they got gashed. Regarding the quality of QBs Auburn has faced we will just disagree there. If Auburn DL decides to play, Milton will have less time than Darnold.

They held Memphis to 13 once, and had 2 abysmal performances vs. USF & Memphis. so, 66% of the time versus a quality offense they got gashed. Regarding the quality of QBs Auburn has faced we will just disagree there. If Auburn DL decides to play, Milton will have less time than Darnold.

Quick scores breed more points.

We will just disagree here. I am still not sold on laying 10 points (ever) so have been teasing Auburn down. It is a good story nonetheless of the undefeated snubbed small school versus the SEC.

UCF held Memphis to 13

Other than Mizz, I don't think the UCF offensive line is as good as clemson, bama missSt or georgia though either.

Auburn had to play Georgia/Bama/Georgia in a 20 day span to earn a playoff spot and almost pulled it off. Imagine running that gauntlet and earning a game against a non-Power 5 team as a result. I certainly would not have cared at all in this spot as a 20 year old, let alone enough to win by dd.

On the other side you have UCF with its superior staff staying for one last game, which reinforces positive vibes throughout the locker room. They’re playing against a top 10 SEC team that never recruited any of these guys, all the motivation in there.

I’d be significantly more surprised by an Auburn cover than by a UCF victory, this has been my favorite spot all bowl season. Think all you guys are missing the boat here.

Auburn had to play Georgia/Bama/Georgia in a 20 day span to earn a playoff spot and almost pulled it off. Imagine running that gauntlet and earning a game against a non-Power 5 team as a result. I certainly would not have cared at all in this spot as a 20 year old, let alone enough to win by dd.

On the other side you have UCF with its superior staff staying for one last game, which reinforces positive vibes throughout the locker room. They’re playing against a top 10 SEC team that never recruited any of these guys, all the motivation in there.

I’d be significantly more surprised by an Auburn cover than by a UCF victory, this has been my favorite spot all bowl season. Think all you guys are missing the boat here.

100% agreed

Happy New Year, gentlemen. This game fascinated me. I look at this matchup and I see a hugely similar scenario with WMU / Wisky last year. Which makes me even more on the fence about betting this game because WMU lost by what...8?

The Auburn interest factor vs. their sheer line dominance on the LOS is going to tell us a lot about what this Aubbie team is made of. Plus I think about SEC teams playing in bowl games that are of 3rd or 4th level to them and I always come back to my Utes basically dominating a superior-Bama team that never wanted to be in that Sugar Bowl game in the first place.

Cannot remember the last time I was this befuddled how to Cap a bowl game. All thoughts appreciated.

When half of the reason, if not more, to choose UCF is "Auburn doesn't care" or "won't be motivated" is not backed by anything. For the majority of this bowl season there were maybe only 1-3 instances where a team just seemed to not be motivated. Heck, even FSU came to play against So. Miss.

So, why would Auburn not be motivated for a New Year's day bowl? I think the one point no one has said yet is why they WOULD be motivated against UCF....everyone is tired of hearing they are undefeated, should be in the playoffs, blah blah blah blah blah.

Oh yea, and they have talked shit to Auburn. I am not saying this means Auburn wins by 100, but to think they will just not show up as a primary reason for taking UCF does not seem like a good move.

Motivation is a huge factor in bowl games. So capping psychology, can be right or wrong, is valid capping Herangehensweise.

There is recent precedent for this scenario: Iowa vs Stanford.

Who said UCF should be in the playoffs? VK is a very smart dude but he is not on the playoff committee, which never considered UCF. Auburn had to beat Georgia to get in. But didn't and know play a 10-point dog, ouch.

Idk what other bowl teams have to do with Auburn. If anything, the fact that there have been unmotivated teams speak of hope for me. In your earlier post Rambler, you totally strawmanned my point about Oregon by exaggerating my intention behind mentioning them.

and everyone is bringing up Auburn's "lack of" motivation. There is not too much precedent this bowl season or others that really justifies it. Stanford-Iowa I assume you mean when Iowa lost by 1,000 points. I don't think that was a lack of motivation versus being the most overrated team in the country and playing a top 10 type team....

Iowa = UCF
Stanford = Auburn

If the line didn't jump to 12 I would have played the 10...womp womp.

Auburn should be psyched they still have gus, i bet they were scared when arky came knocking, this game will be telling to me about the gus energy going forward

I think UCF's tempo and the mobility of its qb can help offset mismatch at los. Like in cbb teams use tempo when they cant rebound so well. Inter-sport parallel I know chill.

Just want to say that everybody's opinion of Milton should be changed. In the first half he was obviously nervous, missing open passes that any quarterback completes. But in the second half he was doing exactly what he's been doing all-year, including in the biggest games against USF and Memphis. And against Auburn's defense. Versatile, electric playmaker on the ground and in the air. And UCF's defense deserves some respect too.

Back