UCF v. NCSU

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Ok, this one is starting to pop up on my radar screen as a low profile dog play on UCF +10.

UCF had a disappointing season last year, but is predicted to finish 2nd in the CUSA East. Also, remember how good they were in 2005. Well, they return almost everyone from 2006, have a good coach in O'Leary and go against a team learning new schemes under O'Brien.

I'm also reading stories about the difficulty NCSU is having learning the new schemes, particularly the QBs.

I see a low scoring affair where NCSU will rely heavily on their D.

I'm starting to like the dog.

What are your thoughts?

I have this as a lean in my thread for the very same reasons. I am still showing 9 at my book, not sure where you are getting 10 (Bookmaker?). If/when it hits 10 at my book, it will be a play.

I'll have a lengthy write-up on this one later.

Yep. 10 at BookMaker. I have the line capped at 8 or 9 so it's not a value bet, just a feel based upon what I'm learning about NCSU and how I think UCF will do.

If I remember right, UCF's RB Kevin Smith is a bona fide stud...I think he got hurt late last year though. However, they lost their top WR.

Rough start of the year on tap for UCF...they have Texas in WK 2, so they are going to have to put it all out there against NCSU. Looking over NCSU as a team, all I have to say is WEAK. How the F do your only wins come against AppySt, BC, and FSU last year?? But you lose to ECU, NC, SoMiss?

This is definitely a doggy that should be drawing attention soon...I can't see the public getting on this game...I like +9 and ML +400 is tempting.

Good spot RJ...will most likely throw this in the mix somewhere.

Things I like. No Moffet. LOL

Kevin Smith is a fine RB.

Thats about my take on this game.

Thanks, BigRaktor.

But, BTW, Texas is Week 3. Still your point is a good one. Need to get OOC wins where you can.

I do think that NCSU dramatically underachieved last year. Still, from the reports I've been reading from State Fans, they're worried about the game and think UCF will be tough. Also hearing that O'Brien's QBs are getting flustered under pressure by the NCSU D in practice and scrimmages.

If UCF can get some pressure on the young guys, I think they may have a chance to win but an even better chance of keeping it close.

will add my take on this one next week...

very good points and i think yall are on the right path...in charleston...need to get ready for dinner

Ok, here is my take on this one. If anything I write is wrong/incorrect, please let me know.

UCF at NCSU (-9), O/U 47

Last year:
UCF: 4-8
NCSU: 3-9

Last Meeting:
Teams have never met.

UCF returns 17 starters (8 on offense, 9 on defense)

At QB, Kyle Israel is expected to take over full time after splitting time with the departing Steven Moffett last season. Israel was fairly solid last year, throwing for 1420 yards, 6 TDs, and 5 INTs. He did have an impressive 65.1% completion mark, which dwarfed Moffitt's 55.3% mark (they had pretty similar stats otherwise). Israel is not really a runner, but he can scramble when needed, as shown by his 43 carries and 137 yards last year. I don't think that Israel will be asked to be the savior, but he will need to be decent for this team to succeed and reach a bowl. Mike Greco is listed as the back-up, he was at NC State in '05 and reportedly has 4.45 speed (according to PS).

The main cog of this team will be Kevin Smith at RB. He went for 934 yards in 9 games last season after rushing for 1178 yards and getting 2nd team C-USA honors as a freshman. Assuming he goes for a full season this year, there is no reason he can't go for 1200-1300 yards.

The biggest loss on this offense is WR Mike Walker, who had 1178 yards and 7 TDs last year. These numbers are pretty impressive considering the constant inconsistency of the QBs last year. He had half of the team's receiving touchdowns last season. They do return leading receivers #2-6, including Rocky Ross, who had a respectable 531 yards and 2 TDs last year. It would be nice for one of these WRs to step up to give Israel a go-to guy.

Four of the five OL reutrn. They are a talented group. Center Kyle Smith earned C-USA Honorable Mention honors last year. RG LJ Anderson made the C-USA Freshamn team back in '05. LT Patrick Brown also achieved C-USA Honorable Mention honors last season. With this group back, there is no reason that Smith won;t find running room.

Michael Torres returns as the kicker. He has a very strong leg. He hit a 55-yarder in high school and a 51-yarder last season. However, he is inconsistent accuracy-wise, hitting 7-11 FGs from the 30-39 yard range last year and 17-24 overall.

The defense really struggled last season, giving up nearly 29 points per game. However, I look for this group to really improve. They get their 3 top tacklers back as well as 8 of their top 10. Top sack man Leger Douzable returns after a 7 sack season. He was quite effective once the coaching staff decided to move him to DE. This team gave up 250 passing yards per game last season, and nearly 4.5 yards per carry. However, the team showed improvement as the season wound down. They held each of their last three opponents under 100 yards rushing. Also, 14 of the team's 25 sacks came in the last four games.

On the line, 3 of the 4 return, including the aforementioned Douzable, who is now entrenched at the DE spot.

Only 1 of the 3 return at LB. However, one of the non-returners, Jordan Richards, actually made the C-USA freshman team two years ago (41 tackles in 6 games), but battled injuries last season.

The entire secondary returns, and there is talent there despite their bad numbers last year. CB Joe Burnett was 1st team All-C-USA as a freshman (63 tackles, 5 INT), but could only manage 50 tackles in an injury-plagued season. Also, Sha'reff Rashad, the team's 3rd leading tackler (53 tackles) and leading interception man last year (4 INT) is actually listed as the backup strong safety behind highly touted freshman Alphonso Bryant.

Blake Clingan is listed as the expected punter. He had a nice 47.0 avg. as a high school senior according to PS.

NC State returns 14 starters (8 on offense, 6 on defense)

Daniel Evans is listed as the expected starter, but he struggled last season. He passed for 1843 yards (on 307 attempts), along with 6 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 53.1%. He may be pushed by freshman Justin Burke if he doesn't perform up to par.

They have a couple of RBs that contribute, namely Toney Baker and Andre Brown. They shared carries last year, and they combined for over 1300 yards rushing and 10 TDs. They will be expected to do the same this season in order to further ease Evans/Burke into their roles. Their top 3 WRs were expected to return, but TE Anthony Hill was injured during camp and is expected to be out for the season. He had 478 yards on 45 catches last year along with 2nd team ACC honors. He will be a big loss as he would have been a big target for the QB. That leaves John Dunlap (392 yards, 4 TDs) and Darrell Blackman (358 yards, 2 TDs) to pick up the slack.

2 of the 5 return on the OL, but those that fill the remaining spots do have experience from past years. I will be interested to see what kind of depth they have at this position.

Bradley Pierson is listed as the kicker as John Deraney departs. There is little info on him.

On defense, they lose their top 3 tacklers, but return 7 of their top 10. Patrick Lowery and Tank Tyler will prove to be the biggest losses. This team was decent on D last season, and it should continue.

3 of the 4 on the DL return, and they will be anchored by DT DeMario Pressley. He had 46 tackles and 2 sacks last year.

1 of the 3 return at LB. James Martin also returns to this unit after a long history of injuries.

2 of the 4 return in the secondary. However, it is really 3 out of four as DaJuan Morgan is simply moving from free safety to strong safety. He is the team's leading returning tackler, as he registered 82 tackles and 2 INTs last year. This is arguably the team's strongest defensive unit, as they only gave up 167 yards passing and a 51.3% last year.

Punter Jeff Ruiz is listed as the heir apparent to incumbent John Deraney. Ruiz averaged 43.3 yards per punt in junior college last year.

How I see this game playing out:

Once again, the clock should be really moving here as RB is the strength of both offenses. I believe that when these teams pass, it will consist of low risk, conservative passes that make the each respective QB more comfortable. So, I am basically expecting the same thing from each offense, except that NC St. will most likely employ a two-headed RB scheme.

On defense, the secondary of each team seems to be formidable and I doubt that either one will be beaten particularly often in this game. The key to this contest will be UCF's front seven. They were horrid against the run last season overall, but they showed great improvement toward the end of the season. If they can contain Baker and Brown in this game, I think you will be looking at a UCF cover and a possible outright win.

I think this will be a fast moving game that where field position battles and special teams could make the difference. UCF and the under 47 seems like the way to go in my opinion. 20-17 NC State.

If this goes to 10, UCF will be a definite play for me.

UCF already 10 at BookMaker.

Thanks for your insights.

Yep, I should have said 10 at my book. Unfortunately, I don't have a Bookmaker acct. right now.

Most of my insight comes from PS and research on the internet. I simply pieced my prediction together using the available info.

I have a personal rule that I don't bet against a Tom O'Brien coached team...gonna lay off this game...

just to let yall know..daniel evans has been named the starting qb...also demario pressley is on the injured list and is listed as questionable. tob said demario thinks he can play but he doesn't want to push it.

would really like to see pressley play in this one to help stop the run...cant wait till saturday

where the hell do you find +400...?

It was a marginal pass for me at +300...at +400 I may just have to play it...

I think UCF stays within 8...still a lot of uncertainties with our team and will give a team that is consistent in ucf the benefit and think they can keep it close with the running attack. we have never been known to put up points post rivers era and 8 is a lot.

Ok, here is my take on this one. If anything I write is wrong/incorrect, please let me know.

UCF at NCSU (-9), O/U 47

Last year:
UCF: 4-8
NCSU: 3-9

Last Meeting:
Teams have never met.

UCF returns 17 starters (8 on offense, 9 on defense)

At QB, Kyle Israel is expected to take over full time after splitting time with the departing Steven Moffett last season. Israel was fairly solid last year, throwing for 1420 yards, 6 TDs, and 5 INTs. He did have an impressive 65.1% completion mark, which dwarfed Moffitt's 55.3% mark (they had pretty similar stats otherwise). Israel is not really a runner, but he can scramble when needed, as shown by his 43 carries and 137 yards last year. I don't think that Israel will be asked to be the savior, but he will need to be decent for this team to succeed and reach a bowl. Mike Greco is listed as the back-up, he was at NC State in '05 and reportedly has 4.45 speed (according to PS).

The main cog of this team will be Kevin Smith at RB. He went for 934 yards in 9 games last season after rushing for 1178 yards and getting 2nd team C-USA honors as a freshman. Assuming he goes for a full season this year, there is no reason he can't go for 1200-1300 yards.

The biggest loss on this offense is WR Mike Walker, who had 1178 yards and 7 TDs last year. These numbers are pretty impressive considering the constant inconsistency of the QBs last year. He had half of the team's receiving touchdowns last season. They do return leading receivers #2-6, including Rocky Ross, who had a respectable 531 yards and 2 TDs last year. It would be nice for one of these WRs to step up to give Israel a go-to guy.

Four of the five OL reutrn. They are a talented group. Center Kyle Smith earned C-USA Honorable Mention honors last year. RG LJ Anderson made the C-USA Freshamn team back in '05. LT Patrick Brown also achieved C-USA Honorable Mention honors last season. With this group back, there is no reason that Smith won;t find running room.

Michael Torres returns as the kicker. He has a very strong leg. He hit a 55-yarder in high school and a 51-yarder last season. However, he is inconsistent accuracy-wise, hitting 7-11 FGs from the 30-39 yard range last year and 17-24 overall.

The defense really struggled last season, giving up nearly 29 points per game. However, I look for this group to really improve. They get their 3 top tacklers back as well as 8 of their top 10. Top sack man Leger Douzable returns after a 7 sack season. He was quite effective once the coaching staff decided to move him to DE. This team gave up 250 passing yards per game last season, and nearly 4.5 yards per carry. However, the team showed improvement as the season wound down. They held each of their last three opponents under 100 yards rushing. Also, 14 of the team's 25 sacks came in the last four games.

On the line, 3 of the 4 return, including the aforementioned Douzable, who is now entrenched at the DE spot.

Only 1 of the 3 return at LB. However, one of the non-returners, Jordan Richards, actually made the C-USA freshman team two years ago (41 tackles in 6 games), but battled injuries last season.

The entire secondary returns, and there is talent there despite their bad numbers last year. CB Joe Burnett was 1st team All-C-USA as a freshman (63 tackles, 5 INT), but could only manage 50 tackles in an injury-plagued season. Also, Sha'reff Rashad, the team's 3rd leading tackler (53 tackles) and leading interception man last year (4 INT) is actually listed as the backup strong safety behind highly touted freshman Alphonso Bryant.

Blake Clingan is listed as the expected punter. He had a nice 47.0 avg. as a high school senior according to PS.

NC State returns 14 starters (8 on offense, 6 on defense)

Daniel Evans is listed as the expected starter, but he struggled last season. He passed for 1843 yards (on 307 attempts), along with 6 TDs, 11 INTs, and a 53.1%. He may be pushed by freshman Justin Burke if he doesn't perform up to par.

They have a couple of RBs that contribute, namely Toney Baker and Andre Brown. They shared carries last year, and they combined for over 1300 yards rushing and 10 TDs. They will be expected to do the same this season in order to further ease Evans/Burke into their roles. Their top 3 WRs were expected to return, but TE Anthony Hill was injured during camp and is expected to be out for the season. He had 478 yards on 45 catches last year along with 2nd team ACC honors. He will be a big loss as he would have been a big target for the QB. That leaves John Dunlap (392 yards, 4 TDs) and Darrell Blackman (358 yards, 2 TDs) to pick up the slack.

2 of the 5 return on the OL, but those that fill the remaining spots do have experience from past years. I will be interested to see what kind of depth they have at this position.

Bradley Pierson is listed as the kicker as John Deraney departs. There is little info on him.

On defense, they lose their top 3 tacklers, but return 7 of their top 10. Patrick Lowery and Tank Tyler will prove to be the biggest losses. This team was decent on D last season, and it should continue.

3 of the 4 on the DL return, and they will be anchored by DT DeMario Pressley. He had 46 tackles and 2 sacks last year.

1 of the 3 return at LB. James Martin also returns to this unit after a long history of injuries.

2 of the 4 return in the secondary. However, it is really 3 out of four as DaJuan Morgan is simply moving from free safety to strong safety. He is the team's leading returning tackler, as he registered 82 tackles and 2 INTs last year. This is arguably the team's strongest defensive unit, as they only gave up 167 yards passing and a 51.3% last year.

Punter Jeff Ruiz is listed as the heir apparent to incumbent John Deraney. Ruiz averaged 43.3 yards per punt in junior college last year.

How I see this game playing out:

Once again, the clock should be really moving here as RB is the strength of both offenses. I believe that when these teams pass, it will consist of low risk, conservative passes that make the each respective QB more comfortable. So, I am basically expecting the same thing from each offense, except that NC St. will most likely employ a two-headed RB scheme.

On defense, the secondary of each team seems to be formidable and I doubt that either one will be beaten particularly often in this game. The key to this contest will be UCF's front seven. They were horrid against the run last season overall, but they showed great improvement toward the end of the season. If they can contain Baker and Brown in this game, I think you will be looking at a UCF cover and a possible outright win.

I think this will be a fast moving game that where field position battles and special teams could make the difference. UCF and the under 47 seems like the way to go in my opinion. 20-17 NC State.

If this goes to 10, UCF will be a definite play for me.

Just to correct a few things,

Steven Hauschka will be the place kicker and nathan franklin will be the punter..

look for blackman to have a good day returning kicks as he has been looking forward to this season with the additional 5 yards and plans to make the most out of it

Thanks for the corrections. For the kicker and punter I just went with Phil Steele's listings since it can be tough to find info on special teams position battles.

I have a co-worker, who goes to almost every NCSU home game. I wouldn't mind seeing the Louis. game live, this year.

He says that the team is falling apart. But, I think they will be better (in the long run), with the coaching change.

The only explanation, for the UNC loss LY, is rivalry. Unless, you believe conspiracy theories.

Dave,

Can you explain the team is falling apart. Everything I have heard is that the players love TOB and his no nonesense style and are ready to play for him.

I will be driving up to the game from GA and can't wait to see the pack in action.

Well, I've read about some players being frustrated and having a hard time learning the new system.

His comment about the team falling apart may have been out of frustration. He said that after he found out that the TE will be out for the season. But, I took it that the injury combined with learning the new system was the reason that he said it.

I do think that the team will lose less games, because of penalties. If they can limit the turnovers, they should improve over LY.

where the hell do you find +400...?

It was a marginal pass for me at +300...at +400 I may just have to play it...

Damn...I guess I should have moved early on the +400...down to +310 right now. Might be worth a 1/2 unit play. Already have so many other things locked in. We'll see how Thursday/Friday go...assuming LSU comes through I'm sure I'll find a unit for this.

Back