Twinkie Gives Club Soccer A Try, WITH QUESTIONS???????????????????????

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
So I am kinda intrigued by UEFA Champions League PLay, which I think ends in June this year. I saw PSG beat Chelsea( I like that Zlotan guy, and I think I hate Chelsea because I am supposed too right?)

I want to get into it a bit. Can someone link me some good places to check shit out, and maybe tell me where it all stands, etc.?

Also, I gotta admit. I knew about the FA Cup from last year. Teed and I chatted online about it and I found this one of the most fascinating things in all of ports today. Couple that with the footage I saw of Reading vs Bradford....so fucking cool. Looked like a match from another time, and the bloody fans were on the pitch. I mean the fans could touch the players, and it looked fucking intense....So I wanna about this too. FA Cup is just so neat that we could win the thing just like the big teams can....

So let us talk about it, and educate me please:shake:

OH YEAH.....I may bet the shite

I can appreciate that google actually won't answer everything

Where do you begin? You have your regular domestic league play (French, English, German,Scottish, etc..)

Each league is allocated a certain amount of Champions League spots and Europa League spots. (Europa league is the secondary league after CL)

The allocation of teams is based on the UEFA league rankings. Right now its

1. Spain
2. England
3. Germany

all three of those leagues get 4 teams into the Champions League and 3 Europa league spots (its has a lot more spots then the CL)

4. Italy
5. Portugal
6. France

These three get 3 teams in the CL, and 3 in Europa

and keeps on going down the line. 10 more teams get 2 CL spots and 3 Europa, other wise most countries only get 1 CL spot

The goal of any team, other then winning the domestic league, is to make the Champions League (big TV money)

You also have the other end of the spectrum, which is the bottom of the table. In most countries the bottom 2 or 3 will get relegated to a lower league, or they might play a playoff in some leagues. This makes whole league exciting all year round, everyone has something to fight for.

You also have the domestic cups. These are basically in season tournaments that are randomly drawn. In some countries if you draw, you replay the game. Most countries have just 1 domestic cup, but England has two. This happens just like the CL, during the regular season.

The champions league actually starts sometime in July, with the play in stages. These are basically very small teams from countries like Luxembourg or Albania or something. The group stages start around September once the playoff stages has worked itself out.

I think its pretty key to find a team and start cheering for it, buy a jersey even maybe.

Me and teed are Tottenham
Orangemonk and Toronto mike are Aston Villa
KJohnson is PSG

no your explanation is great but wiki will give you much more detail if you want to learn the real details

and PSG are a team I pull for but prefer City

Think I remember you making a thread like this last year, but I'll give it another try...

Champions League would be the equivalent of the NCAA Tournament, while Europa League would be like the NIT or CBI
You have your "power" conferences like England, Spain, Germany and Italy which would be the equivalent of the ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac 12
You have your mid-majors like France, Holland and Portugal which would be the equivalent of the Big 12 and Big East
You have your top level "programs" like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United who have the ability and resources to attract top players like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Syracuse.
No real equivalent of the league cups, although the closest would be the conference tournaments I suppose

Also, you can't touch the ball with your hands...

I think its pretty key to find a team and start cheering for it, buy a jersey even maybe.

Me and teed are Tottenham
Orangemonk and Toronto mike are Aston Villa
KJohnson is PSG

Brentford

will be in the premier league next season

Think I remember you making a thread like this last year, but I'll give it another try...

Champions League would be the equivalent of the NCAA Tournament, while Europa League would be like the NIT or CBI
You have your "power" conferences like England, Spain, Germany and Italy which would be the equivalent of the ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac 12
You have your mid-majors like France, Holland and Portugal which would be the equivalent of the Big 12 and Big East
You have your top level "programs" like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United who have the ability and resources to attract top players like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Syracuse.
No real equivalent of the league cups, although the closest would be the conference tournaments I suppose

and if you want to equate it with CFB, Manchester City are Alabama - they pay their players the most

Only reason I like City is that I wasn't into it at all til end of Premiere League season 2012

The way that finished against United of all clubs, just something amazing I'll never forget, made me more than a casual US observer of the game

Man U is Michigan, living on former glory and making questionable manager hiring decisions

damn this was far better then mine

See 20 responses....good shite lads. Haven't read the lot, but....Manuk(he still here?) bestowed me a Southampton fan(guess why? lol).....but something I think I like Stoke City Potters maybe(Peter Crouch there still?)

Good shit tho...keep comin and I be back in a jif

Thanks

Also, please post your favorite side of all clubs

then if you prefer others in certain leagues please

:shake:

always room on the Aston Villa bandwagon if you want!

I'd look into seeing what clubs have supporters clubs set up in your area. being able to go watch the game with fans of your team and meet new people will probably get you more into it. They'll also be able to explain the club/opposing clubs more so you understand. I'd say watch a few games, find a player/team that feels right, buy a blank kit, and go for it. pretty much what I did with Villa, played FIFA with a bunch of teams, liked a few of their players for whatever reason, bought a kit and the rest is history

having traveled to Germany many years ago and taking in my first Bayern match i was hooked...its FCB for me and nothing is a close second

images

you cant beat the EPL for overall top to bottom competitiveness but German Bundesliga is one of my fav leagues to watch

i took the family to Disney last summer and we went to Epcot and before we did anything, the moment we passed thru the turnstile, my son and I made a bee-line to the world showcase, ran str8 to Germany to snatch up some FC Bayern gear...haha

and Hughie613 lewis nailed the comparison...:shake:

Last edited:
If you want to lose money, bet the BPL.
If you wish to make money you bet on smaller leagues.

The books are very sharp on the big leagues and thus you are wasting your time capping it. Think about it, this is a global game with a shit load of leagues/games to wager on, a lot of books will make mistakes and will overlook certain lines.

You almost never want to bet on the big boys because the odds are crap and rightfully so but the key is "intention" Just like any other sport, there are often "look ahead" spots where teams will field a weakened team for the sake of resting key players for the next match.

Derbies/Rivalries are crucial. It can be a city/town derby or just two teams that just plain hate each other. Duke/UNC Yanks/BoSox is like Barcelona/Real Madrid.
During these matches you will generally see a lot of cards just because the heat of the moment. One thing you have to remember here is the crowd does play a major factor as they usually egg on players to do certain things.

Some teams will have massive home field advantage due to the dimensions of the pitch thus it will effect style of play.

I will be back with more thoughts but it's a general idea.
Don't be fooled with 0-0 scorelines, i'm sure you've seen your share of boring NFL/CFB/CBB games but there are guys here who can say they've watched some entertaining 0-0 games.

Oh and if you want to be a Villa fan be ready for a ride as they are fighting to survive relegation but also in the semi's of the FA Cup...either we win the Cup and get relegated or win the Cup and survive...either way we will win the Cup :)

Twinkie, the most important thing to remember is when you say a club team name be sure to put the word "are" after it. The word "is" unacceptable. Always love that.

I remember watching that Man City win happen. One of the coolest things I've watched as a sports fan. Sort of like some of you, I basically watched some matches/fixtures and just picked a team to pull for. My EPL team it Tottenham. Love watching Kane. But I can't help but pull for Bayern Munich. Don't care for Man City really, even though they are apparently the Alabama of English soccer

I like how everyone roots for fair to shitty teams in the BPL. No wants to admit they like Man U or Chelsea? Lol. I've noticed this in real life too. American soccer fans truly don't want to admit they like one of those two clubs in fear of being ostracized from their fellow footballers. In other words it's not "cool" to like them. It's ok in any American sport to root for a front runner; just not soccer. Y'all know I'm right about this. Keep holding your whole cards close to the vest, fellas! Cheers, mates! :-)

What? Said I like City for the very reasons listed above. That's about as front runner as it gets.

But I would probably care half as much if I didn't watch that 2012 season finale live.

What? Said I like City for the very reasons listed above. That's about as front runner as it gets.

But I would probably care half as much if I didn't watch that 2012 season finale live.

It's not always about you, KJ. Let's not turn this into another CG vs KJ part XXXVIII. My point still stands and is worthy of an Internet discussion - why are American soccer fans so afraid to say they like Man U or Chelsea? There can be more than one answer.

Started out pulling for Grimbsy. Then switched to Yeovil. Then pulled for Southend and next up was Millwall. Now I pull for Bristol Rovers

I like how everyone roots for fair to shitty teams in the BPL. No wants to admit they like Man U or Chelsea? Lol. I've noticed this in real life too. American soccer fans truly don't want to admit they like one of those two clubs in fear of being ostracized from their fellow footballers. In other words it's not "cool" to like them. It's ok in any American sport to root for a front runner; just not soccer. Y'all know I'm right about this. Keep holding your whole cards close to the vest, fellas! Cheers, mates! :-)

Strange, I'd say close to 90% people I know who watch EPL are fans of United and have no problem admitting it

Yeah I could def see that. I think people on here don't have a problem either for the most part

I know azkid and dylanphan are big United fans

Haven't seen any Chelsea fans on ctg besides JGalt. Nor do I know of any United fans besides who braves listed. KJ and I are City fans. Lots of Spurs fans, who are you a fan of CG?

... I think you meant Man United, GPS. No biggie. Just clearing it up for ya.

Responding to Alan Tongue for the jab at Alabama for paying players the most.

I agree with you about not choosing front-runners in soccer. Part of it for me was that there was nothing natural or organic about me picking a team. It wasn't that a team was always on TV, or got the most press coverage, or a hometown or regional team, or any other ways many people come to be fans of the Yankees, Notre Dame, Duke, etc. So making a conscious effort to pick a team in EPL, I wanted a team that had some history, wasn't always battling for relegation, and had some future aspirations of being a top team. Tottenham fit my eye the most. Every other team I like is based on who I play as on FIFA. Thus, I also like Bayern and Juventus. Used to like the Spanish juggernauts, but bored by them right now.

Haven't seen any Chelsea fans on ctg besides JGalt. Nor do I know of any United fans besides who braves listed. KJ and I are City fans. Lots of Spurs fans, who are you a fan of CG?

I'm that guy ... Man United. Keep dreaming 7 will one day come back and make it all better not that it is awful right now.

Strange, I'd say close to 90% people I know who watch EPL are fans of United and have no problem admitting it

here I would say its 40% United, 40% Liverpool, Arsenal 10%, Spurs 5%, rest 5%

up until like 2 years ago half those United fans still thought CR7 was on the team tho

Only jerseys I see around PHX are United and team USA, every now and again I'll see Celtic

theres a lot of expats here, which is where I think the big Liverpool group comes from, otherwise my guess is it would be more tilted to United

outside of PL it's Barca shirts

I support the team my family has for decades.

Last year had a kid he naturally woke up at 6 Saturday and Sunday, got into epl because you can only watch so many episodes of yard crashers. Got into Liverpool....they scored a bunch and this year they are boring as fuck...so now I enjoy watching Kane. He's a beast.

I am also a benteke fan. But I'm convinced he was on the take a few times this year. I guess I'm more of a fan of players over teams since pool is good but boring to me

Back