Tulane vs Nevada Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Tulane vs. Nevada Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Picks and Betting Analysis

Tulane Green Wave vs. Nevada Wolfpack
Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Albertsons Stadium in Boise, Idaho

Carson Strong

The key to any “over” bet begins with Nevada quarterback Carson Strong.

Nevada owns the nation’s fourth-highest pass-play percentage, which reflects a fair strategy given the fact that Carson Strong is now the reigning Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year.

He’s accurate, completing nearly 70 percent of his throws and accruing 22 touchdowns to four interceptions.

His accuracy extends to deep passing plays. This season, he’s completed 18 30-yard pass attempts.

So he also has a big and strong arm, which allows him to move the ball downfield in a hurry.

Tulane Secondary

Strong has a particularly good chance to thrive on Tuesday because he encounters a Tulane secondary that has struggled throughout the season.

Don’t be fooled by the Green Wave’s recent positive performance against Memphis.

Tiger quarterback Brady White has been awful as this season approaches its conclusion. He even had a bad showing against Stephen F. Austin, which is an FCS school.

The fact remains that opposing top quarterbacks in the AAC reliably throw for around 400 yards when they get to face the Green Wave.

Among AAC teams, Tulane ranks third-to-last in pass defense. Nationally, Tulane ranks 118th in the category.

Given his accuracy along multiple levels, Carson Strong resides in a different qualitative stratosphere than White and is arguably going to be Tulane’s toughest test.

Strong’s Weapons

Strong also benefits from having top-level weapons to throw to. While tight end Cole Turner is worth mentioning, I want to focus on fellow All-Mountain West first-teamer in 2020 Romeo Doubs.

Doubs has amassed 960 receiving yards while catching nine touchdowns. Doubs has an advantage against this year’s Tulane squad, which misses a cornerback who was selected in the NFL Draft.

Like that now departed Tulane cornerback, Doubs is known for possessing great ball skills. He can really accelerate and make a play on a ball when it’s in the air.

His size at 6-2 helps him make those contested catches. But he also shows good speed on the field, which is partly why many of his longer touchdowns come on pass plays of 40 or more yards.

Doubs’ big-play ability makes him a good fit with the big-play-minded Strong.

Tulane Offense vs. Nevada Defense

Unless it’s facing the superb Tulsa defense, Tulane regularly eclipses 30 points.

Quarterback Michael Pratt deserves a lot of credit for improving the Green Wave offseason after stepping up as its starter in order to replace Keon Howard, who lost his starting job.

While he demonstrates the quickness and athleticism to run for 10+ yards, Pratt is known as a pro-style quarterback.

With his good pocket presence — where he keeps his eyes downfield and creates a propitious passing lane or angle for himself in the face of pressure — he’s thrown for multiple touchdowns in six straight contests.

Pratt is an able quarterback. And able quarterbacks have been plaguing Nevada during its last three contests.

On December 5, Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener threw for a season-high 485 yards against the Wolfpack defense.

On December 11, San Jose State’s Nick Starkel amassed his second-highest total of the season, 306 passing yards, in his contest with Nevada.

It’s not just quarterbacks who transferred from Power 5 schools who are thriving against the Wolfpack.

On November 28, Hawaii’s Chevan Cordeiro, a former two-star recruit, achieved his highest passer rating of the season against Nevada.

Running is actually what Tulane does best as it features a bevy of well-tested running backs who average 5.5 YPC or more.

While Nevada has struggled against the pass, it has allowed opposing starting running backs to have big games while they take advantage of the attention that Nevada has to devote to trying to defend the pass.

The Verdict

In this contest, both offenses will do what they want.

Pratt and Tulane’s ground game will complement each other en route to another 30+-point output.

Meanwhile, Carson Strong will produce another top-level performance against Tulane’s consistently vulnerable secondary. He will give his Wolfpack a great chance to win.

Best Bet: Over 56.5 at -110 with Bovada

56 seems fairly low for a Nevada total. Hell Tulane also. Both teams regularly score 30+. Hopefully we avoid to much rain, I see the forecasted temps appear plenty reasonable but a 50% chance of rain. Dunno how the weather men in Idaho do but I know there little to no chance I’d trust a stl forecast for next Tuesday!! Lol

This really does seem like a no brainer over. As you pointed out Nevada passing game couldn’t have asked for a better draw than facing Tulane pass defense! 8.4 per pass and a whopping 14.2 per completion the wave giving up! They also getting w average of 78 plays a game ran against them! Im
Not sure how they hold Nevada under 34? That only leaves needing wave to score 23! The only teams who Havnt exceeded that total vs Nevada were a couple mountain west bottom feeders and the always offensively challenged San Diego st who managed 21 which I assume above their average! Lol.

think I disagree with Scott’s Tulane lean. I really feel like the mountain west gets incredibly disrespected in the power rankings. I mean just the fact I see sjst at 75 which is somehow below sdst is asinine. I’ll take sjst vs pretty much every aac team not named cincy, I’d call them and Tulsa a toss up. I don’t buy how all those aac teams are ranked so much higher than the better mountain west teams? Yes the bottom the MW is pretty weak but I think Nevada, sjst, boise could play in that conf and have plenty of success. Only way to find out is to put my money where my mouth is and bet them! Although I agree the over is stronger assuming no real weather issues!

Here is my intial thoughts on this game that led me to Tulane. And it is mostly situational.

Nevada loses the MWC Title game, their reward is having to play on the blue turf in a stadium they play at all the time. Nevada was just in this bowl game last year and lost 21-30 to Ohio. I quickly looked and MW teams in this bowl are just 2-3 straight up (WYO, AF winners - Nev, CSU and Utah St losers). It's weird this year, bowls aren't really rewards, but even in a normal year, going to Boise for a bowl is not a reward for a Mountain West team.

Additionally, Nevada has had some WTF moments. Most recently...the 2nd H last week. Before that, at Hawaii. I was hopeful that Hawaii would beat them, but Nevada really didn't look like themselves. So we have a full game out of character for Nevada at Hawaii, then we have last week's 2nd H...couple that with their misleading final over Fresno, and I don't know, beat New Mexico by a whole 7 points? I see Nevada and I just see a bunch of...average I guess.

So I question the motivation for Nevada. I see some uninspiring or unimpressive play from Nevada.

Then I see Tulane who has gotten better thoughout this season. Army was a misleading final, but what is not misleading is that Tulane was the better team, they just weren't exactly 26 points better.

Suppose I will want to get up to speed on the staff changes and what that means and who is taking over. Unless I see something to change my mind, I like Tulane.

Looking through the Powersweep in Mark's Moneymaking newsleter thread showed a 4 star on Nevada, what good that means. Means nothing to me although I probably should atleast read what they have to say on it to get both sides of the story.

Last edited:
I just read the powersweep write up. At any given moment you can read better thoughts on this forum. They finished the write up saying they give a slight edge to Nevada and cite the travel Tulane must undertake to get here. A "slight edge" for a 4 star game when a 4 star I believe is their highest rated play?

I just read the powersweep write up. At any given moment you can read better thoughts on this forum. They finished the write up saying they give a slight edge to Nevada and cite the travel Tulane must undertake to get here. A "slight edge" for a 4 star game when a 4 star I believe is their highest rated play?

They must be great at marketing themselves

lol. I just read that and started rethinking my Nevada lean instantly.

There is definitely some value in the information those newsletters provide, their actual opinion on games not being one of them.

I am not familiar with all of them and can't comment on all of them, but the few I am familiar with I will say that you blow away anything they write!

I never read any of them before this week. Decent reads but agree VC blows them out the water!!

No concern about both coordinators being gone?

OK. On defense, they fired the DC and given the struggles vs quality passing offenses, I might think it is actually a positive. I see the LB coach is serving as interim DC and their new DC for next year (who was Tulane DB coach last year) is onstaff currently assisting with the OLBs. I think with Fritz knowing what they struggled with this year and having some different thoughts on how to address it can only be good.

Offense is more of a question. I suspect the O will be good and stand to improve with Long as OC. Long will OC the bowl which makes it a little weird maybe. I might rather somebody on staff more familiar with strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes and so forth. Read they are keeping terminology and trying not to change much, so it will be more of an adjustment for Long rather than the players. Obviously I would like the continuity of the old OC or somebody else on staff, it can't be all bad that next year's OC is going to do it. And Long has a resume and I believe is kind of off the same tree as Hall.

Bottom line, these things would not keep me off Tulane.

Asking twink about the weather...southern boys playing in the cold. Nevada used to that up in Reno. That too wouldn't keep me off Tulane, but would give me more nervousness than the coordinators.

Is Tulane's #1 receiver hurt or playing?

DLs Sample opted out? DL Johnson's father died, not sure if he opted out or is playing?

3 impactful Tulane players out?

Fritz presser didn't say Sample was out. Implied Patrick Johnson could "be coming back" (funeral was 12/19), he didn't sound like he knew or wanted to talk about that. Saw message board scuttle on them. I guess we don't know for sure. Fritz just said Sample "we're being careful with him". RB Huderson's father died to, Fritz said he'll be playing.

Super DE Patrick Johnson out and top notch DE Sample will be gametime decision. Leading receiver Watts also to be gametime decision.

Kind of a collection of things giving me a little cold feet on Tulane. I don't know. Harassing Strong was going to be fairly important I thought. P Johnson and Sample are the top 2 sack guys (combined 15) and top two DL TFL guys.

Looking windy for the game up there today. 18-20 mph wind from 1:00-3:00 local time. Occasional gusts to 40 mph. Starts to taper off towards the end of the game.

Sometimes this doesn't matters as much as we think it does. Sometimes it does.

Thoughts?

Looking windy for the game up there today. 18-20 mph wind from 1:00-3:00 local time. Occasional gusts to 40 mph. Starts to taper off towards the end of the game.

Thoughts?
I have always found wind to be a major factor in the first half of games. Sometimes in college coordinators can be stubborn and try to throw threw the wind and that can lead to more points by default. If your smart you stay conservative in the 1st half and run the ball, be patient and the let the other team make mistakes early. Certain pass routes work better than others but even teams that try to pass eventually find that they need to establish the run for any sort of consistency offensively. Wind can cause unpredictable points on special teams but more often than not they don't decide things. When teams are forced to be more conservative on offense it allows defensive coordinators to stack the box/focus on the run a bit more and take chances in their secondary. Even average to below average defenses can look stealthy in windy conditions. I liked the under in this one before I looked at weather but the weather should only play into my take onto the game.

Thoughts?
I'm prolly 4 hours to the NE of Boise. 2 hours ago winter began again. Not a ton of snow but wind switched from SW to NW and temps dropping

Yeah, the more it washes around in my head, I think Nevada is more worth the risk. Less unknowns, more knowns.

I don't like that Nevada just lost this bowl game last year. On the other hand, this is a rare chance to win on the blue (they've lost 12 straight there!). Last year had the typical bowl festivities, sled riding, you know stuff to enjoy. I see this as a business trip for them...they lost 2 of their last 3 and while this could be viewed as a disappointing season, it is also a chance to end the season the right way with a victory and that is the sound bytes all the players are saying.

It will be cold and windy, something that Nevada players are more used to in the mountainous elevation of Reno.

Depending on Sample's status, Tulane will be down atleast half it's starting DL, Sample would make 3/4 out. In addition to Patrick Johnson, Interior DL Da'Andre Williams is also out due to birth of child. Tulane's LBs are quite goog, but with a weaker front 7, they should become more vulnerable to the run and obviously less effective with their pass rush from the front 4. There is a Tr Fr to keep an eye on, Angelo Anderson for Tulane. And also, Nevada's best DL Dom Peterson is banged up, I will try to find an update on him.

Nevada doesn't often run it much, but I like their RBs when they choice to run.

Receivers unquestionably go to Nevada. Doubs gets all the headlines, they are very good across the board at receiver (Doubs, Horton, Stovall) and TE Turner. Tulane is an underwhelming group they need to recruit more talent to and their #1 will be gametime decision after injury last game.

Strong vs Pratt...MWC POY vs up-and-coming freshman. Like both QBs, Strong more of a proven commodity.

Coaching staff edge goes to Nevada. I don't necessarily hold it against Tulane's coordinator changes (and also OL coach) the circumstances already stated make it overall less of a concern, but the fact that Nevada's staff is completely intact compared to this game last year they were replacing 3 coaches including a coordinator, that should lead to a more cohesive grouping.

My go to guy for Tulane says Nevada passing will cause trouble. Tulane from
Memory seems to get a decent amount of turnovers.

he says Nevada. We will see.

I agree with him. Mountain west gets no respect outside boise who doesn’t really deserve this year!

It seems as if the consensus at square books on this game is over and Nevada

The later would make sense with the line drop from 3.5 to 1.5.

Thanks for updates twink. I was going to try and verify Sample on twitter closer to gametime. That makes 3/4 of Tulane's very good DL out. That alone doesn't make the pick, but it certainly doesn't help the Tulane side.

Not sure Amare Jones matters with Huderson and Carrol, but it does impact the rotation or if somebody were to get injured.

I remember when Dom Peterson got hurt vs 1st H vs Hawaii. It was a big loss. Looks like he missed the Fresno and San Jose games. It's an ankle. Seems like a lot of time to be able to play in this game, but I don't know. He's definitely a difference maker for Nevada if he can go.

Both teams could have more success running than anticipated. Tulane good at running, very good OL vs an average Nevada D who may or maynot be with their key guy in the middle. Nevada OL above average, good RBs vs a Tulane front 4 down on playmakers.

I may be following the wrong Nevada twitter guys? Chris Murray and Duke Ritenhouse no updates yet from the game. Tulane's Tom Symonds is at the game.

A lot of talk in here about this being a low total for a Nevada game; fact is, Wolfpack have played 8 games this year and have gone over the posted total for this game a grand total of two times. Tulane DL attrition is a large concern though, as that was their strength on defense. Weather has been noted here as well. I have a small play on Under 57.5 and do not feel as great about it with the Tulane attrition on the DL.

Back