Tuesday Pucks

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Rainy Tuesday in Toronto... nice night last night 2-0-1. Late game goal in NY pushed that total.

Sides 7-6 +1.49 unit
Totals 11-14-1 -3 unit
YTD 18-20-1 -1.51 unit

BUffalo / Philly over 6 +101

Robert Esche gets thrown back into the fire tonight vs a team who for all intents and purposes can be called one of the best in hockey right now. THey are scoring close to 4 goals a night on average. Esche in 1 game so far this year gave up 4 goals on 21 shots to Pittsburgh. I dont think he has the mindset to go out and be a force to prove to Hitchcock he should be #1. Buffalo has taken at least 8 penalties in 4 of their first 5 games to start the year, and in 2 games at home they have a PK of 9 for 13 or 69%. Buffalo is scoring but also allowing goals at the same time, either givignup leads or getting behind quickly and relying on scoring to get back in it.

Going to wait for goalie info to be a little more solid as the day goes on before I make any other plays. Have plays should the goalies I want be in.

GL everyone:cheers:

Is Esche confirmed? I got burned last week on a Flyers play when they put Niitty in between the pipes...

Charvik - from the Phiily paper

Philly Inquirer:

Robert Esche will finally be released from purgatory tonight when the Flyers play the Sabres in Buffalo.

This is no gift from Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock. Buffalo is the best club in the NHL's Eastern Conference, with a 5-0 record.

The Flyers (1-3-1) tore up their roster in the off-season to add scoring throughout the lineup, but there are 15 players on this team without a goal after five games. There are eight without a point.

So don't think Hitchcock is doing Esche a favor by throwing him a bone against the Sabres. The goaltender was benched in favor of Antero Niittymaki for four straight games because of Esche's poor play in the opener, a 4-0 loss in Pittsburgh.

GL tonight

BAR - gotta have something today with a night off in most sports. LOL. GL tonight

I see no value at all in tonight's card...that said I may "borrow" some plays just for shits and giggles.

Late meaningless goal cost me a profitable night...only lost 1 unit so no biggee...GL Santa!

This is no intended favor to Esche. Guy is protecting his real tender and just throwing Esche to the wolves.

Liquid - Not much I like in the way of sides, maybe 1... if I add it will be a total or too. GL today:cheers:

Tuck - yeah, dont want to throw a guy out there you will have to lean on throughout the year to a potential disaster. GL tonight:cheers:

Charvik - lets get it...

Before this moves against me further

Adding

Calgary even

Phx / St Louis over 6 +103

BAR - the entire article is actually an interesting article... just took the rest off.. Lets get it. GL

contd.

Given the total collapse of the offense - aside from the first line - it seems that Esche will need to be nearly perfect tonight for the Flyers to get a point.

"I don't think so," Esche said. "It's a team game, always has been and always will be. One guy does not dictate the outcome of [tonight's] game. We have a really talented team. It's a matter of time before everything clicks. No one is excited with the way we have started off. We are a good team. We have to keep working and keep focused."

So why did Hitchcock pick the Sabres for Esche's return?

"I don't try getting into his head, that's for sure," Esche said. "It's an empty place."

Hitchcock chewed on that line a bit.

"Tit for tat," the coach huffed. "They are all tough [games] right now. Sure, it's a challenge. That is part of the game. Sometimes the team bails the goalie out, and sometimes the goalie bails the team out. That's what makes it a team."

The team's scorers have not bailed out the goalies much. One of the biggest disappointments so far has been Kyle Calder, acquired from Chicago in a trade for Michal Handzus in August. The Flyers expect at least 25 goals from Calder. So far, he does not have a point.

Which is why yesterday, Hitchcock switched up his lines. Peter Forsberg's line with Simon Gagne and Mike Knuble is the only one that is scoring points.

In an effort to ignite Calder, he is replacing Knuble on Forsberg's line. Knuble is moving to a line with Jeff Carter and R.J. Umberger, who have one goal between them.

"One of our obligations is to get other people going," Hitchcock said. "... Part of a coach's obligation is to give people in the lineup some help when they need help. Get people who are playing well to help others."
Calder admits he is pressing.

"You have to work hard every game, whether you play with those [top-line] guys or not," Calder said. "Play hard every shift on the ice. That is what I do. I am not a gifted goal-scorer. It's just hard work... . Some of us are in a slump right now. You battle through it. It pays off in the end."
Carter says the best advice anyone has offered him during a scoring slump is to shoot the puck more, not less.

"Just keep shooting," Carter said. "They are going to go in eventually. Why not just put it on net? They can't stop 'em all, right? It's been tough so far. We're getting chances. If we didn't have chances, we'd start to really get worried. It's a matter of time before we put them in the back of the net."

The Flyers have three measly points. They are dead last in the Atlantic Division and 14th overall in the 15-team conference.

After tonight, they will visit the Tampa Bay Lightning, who have owned the Flyers for the last two seasons with a 7-0 record, on Thursday. On

Friday, they will play the Florida Panthers on the road.

They are hoping their turnaround starts tonight with Esche in goal.

"I hear [the Sabres] are playing well," Esche said. "They've got a real good team. Should be a challenge. I'm looking forward to it."

I like that Phoenix over too... not sure about Calgary though. Is it confirmed that Kippers is in net?

So why did Hitchcock pick the Sabres for Esche's return?

"I don't try getting into his head, that's for sure," Esche said. "It's an empty place."

I think that qualifies as an "OUCH!" :spank:

I've been waiting for the Flyers to unload Esche for a puck moving defensemen. The guys a headcase and not a #1 goalie....

Charvik - I hadnt heard anything to the contrary... GL tonight

Liquid - LOL, gotta love your player saying that. I personally think he is a great coach. Clarke on the other hand... not such a good GM... cant stand the guy.

SMH - see my comments to Liquid. LOL. Not sure what Clarke has seen in any of his goalies. GL tonight

Back