Tuesday NBA Discussion

Lunchbox

out to lunch
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA
Tuesday, March 24th</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/24
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>641
642</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> LA LAKERS
OKLAHOMA CITY</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>8
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>7½
205½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>7½
205½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>03/24
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>643
644</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> DETROIT
CHICAGO</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>191
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>191
5½ </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>191
5½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/24
5:35p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>645
646</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> GOLDEN STATE
SAN ANTONIO</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>207½
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>207
9 </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>207
9 </TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>03/24
7:35p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>647
648</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> HOUSTON
UTAH</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>193
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>193
6 </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>193
6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, its one & the same. Lunch got superstitious about how posting affected his betting outcomes, so pretty much quit posting here or all but so at blankets.

Lunch was cool as fuck and sharp too, I used to e-mail with him. Lunch if you're seeing this by any chance, come back!

LA line is intriguing. They've been struggling it seems, although i was away last week, and OKC has everyone back and is actually off a road win against OKC. I'm thinking nothing looks good to me tomorrow, but I may have to take a look at Utah. Best home team in the league, imo, and they get a hot Rockettes team coming in but the line's 5??? Makes me think Utah blowout but i really don't know.

...thanks to everyone for the Wizards info as i got a win for the day to neutralize the Creighton collapse

Actually both sides are right. 8 is either very big or very small depending on what the Lakers decide. Haven't figured out what they want but I hope everyone understands the result will be decided by Kobe and Phil.
First thing that strikes me is that the Spurs after this game and posibbly in this game may be a fade for at least the next 4 games after this and possibly the rest of the season. Please note i included the visit by the Clippers.
When the Spurs lost to the Rockets, Finley once again showed up with nothing. This has been going on a while. Resigning him was a mistake that many Spur Blogs mentioned. They lost the game to the Rockets because Parker had a terrible game going 9 of 24. They lost it because Duncan playing 34 minutes in real pain was 8 of 22 and only able to pull in 6 rebounds which for Duncan is incredible. He actually made 7 of 8 free throws. Duncan and Parker are the core that holds the team together. Not discounting Parker rebounding but without real rest that may not be possible for Tim. They are going to play GS and then go to Atlanta the next day and get whipped. They are going to come home playing worst of 4 without 2 days off in 17 games and if the Clippers have a speck of manhood left they can win. Maybe the Clippers do not have a speck. NO though in another 2 days will nail them and then in2 days if Manu is not back OKC playing at the Spurs should have a good shot.
Pops is in damage control right now. God knows what his line up will be a Atlanta. I trust GS and Nelson not at all but this is a great shot for Nelson to nail them. Right now pops is praying for any win. Beating teams up is the furthest thing from his mind. Can we trust GS to play with Dallas the next day. This really looks like their only shot in the next 3 games but it is at a site where they never win. That is where i am at right now.

Last edited:
I decided to trust Pops and went to take the points with GS. Not available at 5d and the Greek. Need to think faster. Expect that will drop but who knows..

I just find 8 to be a bit insulting to the Lakers. The HCA race between them and Cleveland isn't getting much attention, but I think it's as intense as any playoff race. It could very well decide the NBA championship, and both those teams know it. For LA to lay only 4 baskets to this team at this juncture in the season is really puzzling to me. Last time they played at Okie City it was what 107-92 or something? Should be something similar to that.

Suns creeping up to the Mavs. Only 3.5 out.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=yspsctbg><TD class=ysptblhdr height=18>Western Conference</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=2 height=18>Team</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>GB </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>1.</TD><TD>y-LA Lakers</TD><TD align=right>-- </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>2.</TD><TD>* Houston</TD><TD align=right>9.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>3.</TD><TD>San Antonio</TD><TD align=right>10.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>4.</TD><TD>* Denver</TD><TD align=right>10.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>5.</TD><TD>New Orleans</TD><TD align=right>11.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>6.</TD><TD>Portland</TD><TD align=right>11.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>7.</TD><TD>Utah</TD><TD align=right>12.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>8.</TD><TD>Dallas</TD><TD align=right>13.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>9.</TD><TD>Phoenix</TD><TD align=right>17.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>10.</TD><TD>Golden State</TD><TD align=right>30.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>11.</TD><TD>Oklahoma City</TD><TD align=right>35.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>12.</TD><TD>Minnesota</TD><TD align=right>36.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>13.</TD><TD>Memphis</TD><TD align=right>38.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>14.</TD><TD>LA Clippers</TD><TD align=right>39.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>15.</TD><TD>Sacramento</TD><TD align=right>40.5 </TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap width="1%" height=1><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD><TD noWrap width="79%"><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD><TD noWrap width="20%"><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Meanwhile check out the east. You got Chicago in the 8th spot but with 5 teams chasing them. And the Pistons aren't a lock either. The east is up for grabs, but really it's a 3 team race to win it.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=yspsctbg><TD class=ysptblhdr height=18>Eastern Conference</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=2 height=18>Team</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>GB </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>1.</TD><TD>y-Cleveland</TD><TD align=right>-- </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>2.</TD><TD>y-Boston</TD><TD align=right>4.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>3.</TD><TD>x-Orlando</TD><TD align=right>5.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>4.</TD><TD>Atlanta</TD><TD align=right>15.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>5.</TD><TD>Miami</TD><TD align=right>19.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>6.</TD><TD>Philadelphia</TD><TD align=right>21.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>7.</TD><TD>Detroit</TD><TD align=right>22.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>8.</TD><TD>Chicago</TD><TD align=right>24.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>9.</TD><TD>Charlotte</TD><TD align=right>26.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>10.</TD><TD>Milwaukee</TD><TD align=right>26.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>11.</TD><TD>New Jersey</TD><TD align=right>27.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>12.</TD><TD>Indiana</TD><TD align=right>28.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>13.</TD><TD>New York</TD><TD align=right>28.5 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD height=18>14.</TD><TD>Toronto</TD><TD align=right>32.0 </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD height=18>15.</TD><TD>Washington</TD><TD align=right>42.0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The problem with that assumption is the next game they play is against Detroit which diverts them and OKC may be more valuable to them as a sparring partner than as a punching bag. Understand clearly that they will do what they want to do for their reasons and it is the handicappers job to figure out what the Lakers want.
I actually think this could be a 195 final.
They trashed OKC after not trashing Minn just before playing the then contemptible Suns. Here they just beat a good team and have a serious game up next. Expecting to duplicate the last result seems odd. I think the line maker made not have made a mistake on this game. This game may go under and oKC may be allowed to cover.

Suns creeping up to the Mavs. Only 3.5 out.

Suns died the moment they lost at home to the Howardless Mavs.

Both teams have 12 games left to be played.

Dallas has the following wins: vs GDS, @MIN, @MEM, vs NOR, vs MIN and a final game of the season vs a HOU team who'll have everything locked up by then (division title & seeding). So that's 6 wins minimum (some might argue with my sticking NOR there, but its part of a B2B head to head set, and Nawlins hasnt been playing well enough to take both of those, so if they won in Dallas I'd say they'd then lose the return game at home).

To overcome a (current) 3.0 game deficit/make up 4.0 games (to lead Dallas in the standings), PHX needs 4 wins to the Mavs 4 losses, and then to match Dallas for all further results.

12 games left -
PHX 4 wins (incl. the game at Dallas) + matching the Mavs 6 wins + whatever
DAL 4 losses + 6 wins I've pointed out above + whatever

That means PHX needs to win 10 of their final 12 games at minimum (the + whatever could mean PHX needed to win possibly 12 from 12 - there's no reason to assume dallas will lose every difficult game they have left. I count 5 of those, 3 they get at home). And if they lose the fixture in Dallas, because Dallas currently leads the season series 2-1, it'd be 3-1 to Dallas and PHX's task then gets even more difficult since having a tied season W/L record means Dallas would own the tiebreaker, so PHX would need 5 wins to Dallas 5 losses, then a further 6 wins plus whatever.

PHX has some of these fixtures left in their season outside of their visit to Dallas: @POR (B2B vs POR's 2 days rest), vs UTH & @ UTH (they win both? don't buy it for an instant), vs HOU (who, unlike when they face the Mavs, still won't have things locked up), @ NOR.

After all that, it boils down to this. PHX is a total mirage. They're fucked barring a miracle run from them and a miracle losing streak from Dallas. Dallas has already had their serve from an irate owner. PHX is RIP.

Last edited:
Unlikely would be better. Probably very unlikely. They play Utah twice and Houston once. 2 of those games are at home. Right now I think they have to do 2 very hard things. They need to win at home against Utah and I think I would make them a small favorite to do that. Then they need to go into Portland b-b and win. I think if they win those 2 games then the situation is worth talking about. i think there is some real chance that apart from Dallas the Spurs and possibly NO could have extended bad luck. But to start the Suns need the next 2 wins before any true hope appears.
Let me be clear. For a good while i have really disliked this team. But I now believe they have gotten much better. This game tonight against a decent team was beyond them in the past. They have grown. So i will give them a punchers chance which may be small but its not gone yet. Right now its hard to see it but I think they are better right now than Dallas NO and if Manu does not get back soon than the Spurs so lets not bury them yet.

Last edited:
houston catching 5.5, playing some good ball, and in a revenge spot?

utah 1-2 ATS on 3+ days rest...

gonna give houston a hard look tomorrow. but coming off the SU win in SA just two days ago worries me.. hope its not a letdown spot.

damn, guess its not a revenge spot necessarilly... last time they met 3 weeks ago was also in utah. weird.

I think Houston gaining a divsion lead last time out and w/a chance to really distance themselves from the reeling Spurs will energise them here, plus the fact on top of that recent loss in Utah they lost that 1st round series to them in last season's playoffs. I'm liking that game to be the one that ends the Rockets road Under streak (6 games long), and for that to happen the road team will need to show up.

i'm also thinking the Rockettes are getting too many points. I'm not sure they win this one but i could see it falling within 5 points if H-town really wants this one, which it seems like they do if they want to keep the Southwest Division lead

I think this the time of year when teasers and ML plays become more favorable. Yesterday had a great teaser with ATL, BOS and MIA all big favorites at home against teams playing for nothing.

Today I see the Lakers and Spurs as big faves against teams playing for nothing. Also we have Detroit and Houston as good road teams playing for in playoff-type games and getting 5 1/2 each. The question is will either team lay down at the end?

Detroit as a road dog has DD losses to CLE, MIA, UTA and BOS. I don't see the Bulls in that class.

UTA as a road dog has DD losses to ORL, POR, DEN, LAL, SAN and CLE. Quite a few teams, but all better than CHI.

I like a pair of 8 point teasers, 1/2 unit each on LAL +0.5, SAN Pick and DET +13..5, and on LAL +0.5, SAN Pick and HOU +13.5, both at -120.

BC, before i opened this discussion i was going to ask you about the total for utah/rockets.
If you look at houstons last 5 games their defensive fg% is tremendous 40.7, then look at who they played, I am not taking anything away from houston just looking at it from a betting perspective. a banged up San antonio a bad twolves, went to ot with a bad functioning pistons a bad playing new orleans and San antonio again not exactly strong offenses.
Now they play at utah who has had a few days off that likes to get out and run avg 105 at home and shooting 49%. Houston can score and utah doesnt exactly shut you down on defense. I will be taking the over for a big bet..

Lakers are 47-21-1 SU in the 3rd Q
Their last 3 games they are 3-0 ATS and SU in the 3rd Q

Lakers are -1.5 for the 3rd Q tonight

Houston Rockets are 41-23-8 SU in the 1st Q
Their last 7 games they are 3-0-4 in the 1st Q

Houston is +1.5 for the 1st Q tonight

rip and sheed are both out and the line opens at 5? i must be missing something

is anyone important out for the bulls?

Nothing wrong with the Rocket pick fundamentally. As a road dog I think 9-6-1 first quarter. Lakers is shaky. Lakers at home in the third and away in the third are different animals. Your play will work fine probably if the Lakers have a bad first half. If they have a good first half you are in dangerous shape. Usually make third quarter bets at half time. GL

Last edited:
I cant find the article but I've read Pops will sit Duncan for sure either today or tomorrow. I assume its today with line going down and obviously this being a very winnable game for them even w/o him.

<table class="s_playerNewsTable" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="s_playerNewsTitle" style="background: rgb(212, 0, 38) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width=""><table class="s_playerNewsTitle" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left"> Derrick Rose out Tuesday, iffy for Thursday</td><td style="" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td><td style="background: rgb(212, 0, 38) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" width="14">
right_corner_player_news.gif
</td> <td width="6">
pixel.gif
</td> </tr><tr> <td>
pixel.gif
</td> <td class="s_playerNewsLeftBorder">
pixel.gif
</td><td class="s_playerNewsText">
nba_Rose_small.jpg

Derrick Rose will not play on Tuesday because of a bruised and sprained wrist. He is questionable for Thursday's game against the Heat.
Rose, who injured himself on a dunk during Monday's game, said his wrist is so sore that he can't turn a door knob. He has been told to rest for two or three days, and based on that last bit of information we're not too optimistic about his availability for Thursday. Check back soon for updates. Mar. 24 - 6:42 pm et
Source: Chicago Sun-Times </td></tr></tbody></table>

BC, before i opened this discussion i was going to ask you about the total for utah/rockets.
If you look at houstons last 5 games their defensive fg% is tremendous 40.7, then look at who they played, I am not taking anything away from houston just looking at it from a betting perspective. a banged up San antonio a bad twolves, went to ot with a bad functioning pistons a bad playing new orleans and San antonio again not exactly strong offenses.
Now they play at utah who has had a few days off that likes to get out and run avg 105 at home and shooting 49%. Houston can score and utah doesnt exactly shut you down on defense. I will be taking the over for a big bet..

Utah is 12-3 to Under last 15, 7-0 to Under last 7 at home
Houston is 11-4 to Under last 15, 6-0 to Under last 6 away

Utah is 0-4 ATS last 4 at home
Houston is 6-0 ATS last 6 away

Basic trends say Houston covers an Under game

1 at least won't go to script, imo.

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: rgb(212,0,38); -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Derrick Rose out Tuesday, iffy for Thursday</TD><TD align=right>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> </TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: rgb(212,0,38); -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial" width=14>
right_corner_player_news.gif
</TD> <TD width=6>
pixel.gif
</TD> </TR><TR> <TD>
pixel.gif
</TD> <TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>
pixel.gif
</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>
nba_Rose_small.jpg

Derrick Rose will not play on Tuesday because of a bruised and sprained wrist. He is questionable for Thursday's game against the Heat.
Rose, who injured himself on a dunk during Monday's game, said his wrist is so sore that he can't turn a door knob. He has been told to rest for two or three days, and based on that last bit of information we're not too optimistic about his availability for Thursday. Check back soon for updates. Mar. 24 - 6:42 pm et
Source: Chicago Sun-Times
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

nice hopefully that winds up helping my ben gordon over 20.5 points prop

warriors go 2-7 from the fucking ft line and miss the first quarter cover by half a point

this shit is so annoying sometimes

duncan only played 4 minutes in the first half and before the game they talked about lettin him sit out one of the back2back games..
without him golden state should have a decent chance of winning this game, because duncan is the kind of player that can hurt them, and oberto is not....
does anybody know if he is going to play more minutes in the 2nd half??

What a comical line that Lakers shit was. I really hope you guys all smashed that one, b/c it doesn't get any easier than that play.

My wins are always painful Killa. Lost on the first quarter OKC. Interestingly Kobe, Gausol, and Odom all played the first 12 minutes. At half time took OKC plus .5 for the third and under 103 so ended up a frustrated plus. Final total was 196 instead of 195. actually think it was minus .5

Last edited:
Lakers are 47-21-1 SU in the 3rd Q
Their last 3 games they are 3-0 ATS and SU in the 3rd Q

Lakers are -1.5 for the 3rd Q tonight

Houston Rockets are 41-23-8 SU in the 1st Q
Their last 7 games they are 3-0-4 in the 1st Q

Houston is +1.5 for the 1st Q tonight

nice 0-2 haha

Utah is 12-3 to Under last 15, 7-0 to Under last 7 at home
Houston is 11-4 to Under last 15, 6-0 to Under last 6 away

Utah is 0-4 ATS last 4 at home
Houston is 6-0 ATS last 6 away

Basic trends say Houston covers an Under game

1 at least won't go to script, imo.

hmm..by the look of this...the UNDER seems to be on track to keep going. And for a while Utah looked to be on the verge of blowing them out, but Houston rallied back. You think they stay in this? Scary thing is being AT Utah...the Jazz could easily come out on a 9-0 run to start the 3rd and bam, Houston could be done.

Yep, I saw this coming, though the first half had me nervous. Tough to beat the Jazz there.

dude Hou should have got so many ft's in the 4th q but the refs didnt call shit. When they called that charge on Wafer was bullshit should have been a and 1. Korver wasnt even set.

Jazz are like Wisky in college then get unreal calls at home, thats why they cant do shit in the playoffs :whip:

All I know is I got fucking caught in bewteen the 2nd H total ...played some at 95.5 over and got the rest at 96.5 . Naturally ends on 96 pts ! Fucking a straight bet and a parlay with Utah ....320 dollar swing ..

Back