Tuesday MLB 01-07-2008

Unicorn

NHL Enthusiast
YTD 148-154 -16.16 Units

ytd up to 13.06: 119-132 -71.64 Units
ytd since 15.06: 29-23 +55.48 Units
----------

Hey guys. As mentioned earlier in Tuesday daily thread, I've played 3 posted plays plus one additional.

TAMPA BAY (Garza) @ 1.80 for 3.5 Units
Continuing to give support to Rays. The kids are battling and winning. Tonight may be the best shot Boston may have in this series but still, I like Tampa more. Wakefield has been pitching well over his last 8 starts or so, but Garza seems like he found his groove, too, pitching great in his last 3 starts. Although Wakefield is 19-3 in his career vs Tampa, with 3.16 ERA, in his starts @ Tampa since 2006, he's only 3-2 with not so good 4.03 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. Especially it's important that his winning streak against them ended 2 in his last start in '07 and now he's lost 2 consecutive starts against them (both at Tampa). Considering Wakefield will start on extended rest tonight (6 days), it's worth noting that he's only 1-3, 4.95 ERA and with 1.52 WHIP so far in this situation. Last night's comment about far better Rays pen still stands (now they're 11-3 with 2.01 ERA and 1.00 WHIP along with 88% save pct at home!). I'm expecting another battle tonight but hopefully, the Rays come out as winners, again.

PHILADELPHIA (Kendrick) @ 1.95 for 3.5 Units
As I've said earlier, I believe Kyle Kendrick has been way undervalued. Just a short reminder here, the Phillies are 12-4 this season when he starts. They're 8-1 in his road starts and 12-2 in his night starts while he's been pitching well of late, averaging 6 innings per starts along with 3.50 ERA and 1.22 WHIP. Kendrick will start on 6 days rest - a situation where he's been so far 4-1 with 2.97 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and .232 BAA. Great numbers, indeed. Phillies have been struggling big time lately against RHP, but considering they've been facing many good RHP over the same span (Rangers Eric Hurley, Oakland's big-inning escape artist Joe Blanton and two very good Angels' pitchers, Card's Kyle Lohse...) - I'm actually not so suprised. The good thing is that they'll face Braves' rookie tonight, Charlie Morton. Charlie looked promising from time to time but we'll see will he be able to handle Phillies big bats and some of the best situational hitters over there. Lukily, the Braves have been struggling lately, too, and will probably be without Chipper, Infante and Escobar again. A quick reminder - the Braves are only 2-10 without Jones in the lineup so far. I'm surely expecting an interesting series, but hopefully the Phillies will be able to take game one with their most reliable pitcher on the mound tonight.

HOUSTON (Rodriguez) @ 1.75 for 3.5 Units
I'm all over the Astros again tonight. They'll be facing another leftie tonight, this one being rookie, while the Dodgers will also face a leftie, Wandy Rodriguez who's been extremely efficient this season so far plus he's pitching at home. Over the last 2 seasons, Wandy has compiled a home record of 8-5 with 2.64 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and .209 BAA - really excellent numbers I'm sure any of the top pitchers will gladly take any day ;) Also, Wandy will be pitching on 5 days rest tonight, and so far he's been great in that situation, posting only 0.41 ERA (!!!), with 0.59 (!!!) WHIP and only .154 BAA! Dodgers usually hit well LHP but lately, they've been struggling against them, averaging only .223 BA, .270 OBP and 1.3 runs per game. And as I've already said - Rodriguez at home is as tough as anyone so they might have their work cut for them. Also, Kemp is questionable for tonight with some eye problems while they'll again be without their top lead-off hitter - Juan Pierre, who's been on DL for a few days now. I like Houston chances tonight, although the Dodgers have been good at bouncing back after series opener loss so far. We'll see...

And my last play (suprise, suprise)... (coming shortly)...

TEXAS (Millwood) @ 2.75 for 3.5 Units
My hidden strong lean last night were the Rangers which can be seen for those who pay more attention to some details ;) But unlike last night, when I had them as a lean because of the pure gut feeling, tonight I bet on them for some other reasons. I know the stats may be irrelevant sometimes, but I'll post a few for a start.

- TEX 22-23 on the road (almost as good as at home)
- TEX 6-4 L10 games, 3-2 L5 and riding a 2-game winning streak
- TEX 33-26 in night games (and only 10-15 in day games)
- TEX 16-11 in 2nd game overall, 7-5 after a win in 1st game
- TEX pen over their last 10 games have only 1.23 ERA (!!!) New York's over the same period have very ugly 5.97 ERA
- TEX 20-18 vs >.500 teams while NYY only 17-18 vs >.500 teams
- TEX 30-26 vs RHP (while only 9-17 vs LHP) and lately averaging .285 BA with 5.3 RPG unlike NYY who've been averaging lately only .252 BA with 4.0 RPG vs RHP

- Millwood lifetime in July: 25-20, 3.62 ERA 1.29 WHIP .252 BAA
- Millwood since joining Rangers vs NYY: 1-0-1, 2.77 ERA 1.08 WHIP, averaging 13.5 pitches per inning pitched (!!!)
- Milwood this season when going on 5 days rest, in his road starts, against >.500 teams: 0-2, 2.57 ERA (!!!), 1.79 WHIP while averaging 7.0 innings per start and 7.7 strikeouts per 9 innings

- Jeter questionable for tonight (may be rested) - he's lifetime .263 BA vs Milwood and lately, he's been one of the hottest Yankees' hitters, batting .308 (12-for-39) with 5 doubles and 3 RBI over their last 10 games

--------------------------

Ok, now for the most important part. Since for the most of the time, I'm trying to figure out what the team I'm betting on have in their heads, here's a copy/paste of some comments Rangers made after they won last night.

"That was awesome," Wilson said after cutting down Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi and Jorge Posada in order in the ninth for his 18th save in 20 tries. "We're trying to usher in a new era of Rangers baseball -- hold them down with pitching and defense.
<o></o>
"Coming in to play these guys in this old stadium and with their reputation, it was great, because all we heard coming in here in the cabs and the newspapers is we were going to get swept because we can't pitch."
<o></o>
The Rangers did pitch last night and are now two games over .500 for the first time since Sept 22, 2006. They have won three of their past four games and finished 14-13 in June.

<o></o>

"Huge," Wright said. "Awesome. That's what we needed right there -- win the first game on the road, Yankee Stadium, 2-1. It's a beautiful thing. If that doesn't give you all the confidence in the world, I don't know what would."

Ok, it seems like their approach to this series might be a bit different compared to their usual approach, although they've been playing well here over the past3 seasons, compiling a 4-4 record vs NY. As for Chamberlain, with all due respect to what he's done since his early struggles as a starter, I'm eager to see how will he fare against several top hitters in Majors, because (again, with all due respect) facing Padres or Pittsburgh hitters, or even facing usually good Astros but who've been struggling badly until like 10 days ago - is one thing, and facing one of the best AL offenses might be a complete different experience for him. We'll see, but I have no regrets about this play, Rangers win it or not.

Good luck everyone, and sorry for the last post!

:cheers:

Thanks, guys.

A successful Tuesday, indeed ;)

Read you later today... Have a nice day!

:cheers:

great stuff my man

too bad tha HOU bet didn't hit for us huh

my only play of the night.

Oh well. :cheers:

Back