Tuesday March 03, '09

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
Well I've become lazy. To easy for me to read all the great thoughts in the discussion thread and not do my own due diligence. Have to say thanks to all that contribute to the discussions though as I can't complain about the last month. Still doesn't feel right and the only way that I can make myself accountable is to post my own thread with my thoughts in it. Anyways enough of all that....

PLAYS
Bucks -3
Grizz +15.5
Pistons/Nuggets Under 188
Bulls/Cats Under 192.5
Magic -7

Bulls@Bobcats

Yuck. Lean Bobcats only because their schedule is a bit more brutal than the Bulls coming up and they seem very interested in actually making the playoffs. Not to say that the Bulls don't, but just a change of philosophy for the Cats. Bulls should have momentum off of the 4th quarter vs the Rockets and I do expect them to win the 1st half. Lean towards the Bobcats in the 2nd half. Very rare for them to lose both halves of a home game. Total looks about 4 or 5 points inflated. Has a LOT to do with the Cats totals they ran up against WC running teams. Probably would play the under at 194, but pass at 192. If the Bobcats are down at half a play on them in the 2nd half is likely. Also would like to see the total run back up to the opener.

Suns@Magic

Weird correlation in the past with these two teams. Suns cover and the under vs the Magic covering and the over. Just worth being aware of. Nash is questionable and I really have no idea if he plays. Don't think it makes much difference honestly. Hope he plays as I like the Magic to run away with this one. Suns have played in two buildings since the ASG. Home court and Staples Center. I want to see their running game hit a real road venue. Off of a huge win over LA playing the first of a 4/6 with games @conference foes Houston and SAN seems like the perfect spot to fade. I'll be playing against the Suns @ORL and possibly @MIA. I do believe that this little high profile run they've gone on since the ASG will make them overvalued again. Orlando is way to efficient on the offensive end for the Suns to give them 105+ possessions in a game. 122-106 final seems likely for the Magic. Hoping they're favored by less than 8.5.

Nuggets @ Pistons

A cluster of outside issues here. Carmelo and AI are partying somewhere watching this one with unrelated issues. Pistons would normally be set up for a letdown here, but no chance with Billups coming home. Denver is in a spot where they can't really lose. Bad 0-2 road trip if they do with a b2b against portland and utah on deck. Not the scenario they are looking for being 3 games out of the 8th spot in the west. Agree with BAR that we make see some jitters/great defense as this is a pretty important game for both squads. Hard to get a great read here.

Nets @ Bucks

Played the Bucks at -3. A few different reasons I like this one but the most important being that the Bucks are sitting in the 8th spot in the East and can create a 2.5 game lead over the Nets and possibly a 2 game lead over the Bulls with them at Charlotte. Both teams are more than likely to lead the back end of their respective b2b's but the Nets will be the team looking ahead as they have the C's at home and have personal matters to settle. (SF has some nice comments on that issue). Think the Bucks can take care of NJ before folding to the Cavs.

Bucks -3

Haven't looked at 3 of the last 4, but will tomorrow. Played the Grizz at +15.5. The TWolves can't stop anybody from scoring these days, Indy as a road fav? yikes, houston/toronto i have little interest in.

Last edited:
Congrats to Anthony for getting a night off to hang out with his old friend AI by pulling a little shenanigan.

Nuggets suspend Anthony one game

THE SPORTS NETWORK
The Denver Nuggets announced on Monday that the team has suspended star forward Carmelo Anthony for one game due to an undisclosed incident in Sunday's loss to Indiana.

Anthony will serve the suspension on Tuesday against Detroit, a battle between teams that swapped point guards Chauncey Billups and Allen Iverson in a four- player trade earlier this season.

"There is a code of conduct that we take very seriously, especially from a leader and co-captain," Nuggets vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman said. "Carmelo knows this and regrets what happened. He is a very competitive person and made a poor decision in the heat of the moment. We look forward to having him back on Thursday and will have no further comment at this time."

adding this for this line....(bolded)

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony was suspended one game for an in-game transgression in Sunday's loss to the Indiana Pacers, the team announced Monday.

Details of the transgression were not disclosed.

The Nuggets' leading scorer, Anthony originally was counted out of Tuesday's game at Detroit due to a personal issue. Vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman then announced Anthony's penalty just hours later.

"There is a code of conduct that we take very seriously, especially from a leader and co-captain," Chapman said.

"Carmelo knows this and regrets what happened. He is a very competitive person and made a poor decision in the heat of the moment. We look forward to having him back on Thursday and will have no further comment at this time."

Following Monday's practice, the team said that Anthony might have to return to Denver for the aforementioned personal issue. However, Chapman said that it is not a legal matter.

Anthony has averaged 21.6 points, but he has shot just 29 percent from the field (12-of-41) in the last two contests.

According to Rotoworld they said that multiple sources claimed that Carmelo refused to leave the game against Indy when Karl was trying to sub for him in the 3rd quarter. No sources quoted though.

Interesting.

Haven't seen lines yet. Detroit and or under would be on my radar at this point.

Denver with two HUGE games on Thursday and Friday. Just two games seperate the Nuggest, Jazz and Blazers right now. Potential for the Nuggets to go from HCA to 8th seed just that quick.

BOL of luck on your picks J.... on the other side with you on the Bucks game. strong lean on Magics over Suns ATS depending on the line.. i have a strong feeling Nash will play but will be limited to minutes. i predict this line to open at around 2-3 magics favored.

another note.. dont know if i will play the Grizz and Lakes.. as Rudy Yag is probable cause of an ankle injury.. One of Grizz highest scorers..strong lean on the OVER 2H, as this could be a blow out without Rudy Yag... i see Lakers resting players and both squads will just put up baskets 2H.... either way bro... ... BOL.. hope you cover :cheers:

I think whats going to happen is we see a big inflated number here because of Melo's absence . Pistons grab some attention by winning @ Boston on TV on Sunday ...think we see about a -6 + here . Was thinking around Det -2 but w/o Melo we go higher obviously ....Curious though because DEN has been laying -2 to teams like Chi , Indy , around -3.5 to Milw and lost all SU . Det wouldnt be much stronger then those teams so thinking PK if Den had one a roadie. Since they havent was expecting more like -1.5 to -2.5 but Melo absent...

Melo has been terriblelast 2 games like 12-41 shooting..

Remember DET stole one @ Den w/o Rip or Sheed...oh and Melo missed that one as well...Could be a great spot for an Under if we get something in the 180s still...:cheers:

Added two totals:

Bulls/Cats Under 192.5 -- thought about it some more and still think there is enough value.

Nuggets/Pistons U188 -- Opened at 189. Very surprised it opened this high. Nuggets 10-3 to the under w/out Carmelo this year in regulation and two of those overs were at home. BAR makes a good point about the nerves being a little tight as well. Just hoping they don't play the 1st half as friends and treat it like an all star game. Think the game is to important for both teams for that to happen.

would be nice to see thoughts on Memphis. GL today JP. Good to see the day thread

It'll be this afternoon, but I'll have one for ya.

BOL of luck on your picks J.... on the other side with you on the Bucks game. strong lean on Magics over Suns ATS depending on the line.. i have a strong feeling Nash will play but will be limited to minutes. i predict this line to open at around 2-3 magics favored.

Line opened at 8 and got hit down to 7 immediately. Since I was looking for anything less than 8.5 I'll wait this out and see if Nash plays. If he does and the line dips to 6.5 I'll be playing the Magic. I do see a DD win as probable.

I think whats going to happen is we see a big inflated number here because of Melo's absence . Pistons grab some attention by winning @ Boston on TV on Sunday ...think we see about a -6 + here . Was thinking around Det -2 but w/o Melo we go higher obviously ....Curious though because DEN has been laying -2 to teams like Chi , Indy , around -3.5 to Milw and lost all SU . Det wouldnt be much stronger then those teams so thinking PK if Den had one a roadie. Since they havent was expecting more like -1.5 to -2.5 but Melo absent...

Melo has been terriblelast 2 games like 12-41 shooting..

Remember DET stole one @ Den w/o Rip or Sheed...oh and Melo missed that one as well...Could be a great spot for an Under if we get something in the 180s still...:cheers:

Had to go with the under with the openers. Still possible that I'd add Denver, but I hate having a side and total on a game.

Say it loud, say it proud Denver!
This IS a NBA game.

I think that translates to you liking denver? :)

Extremely interesting article out of the Orlando Sentinel

Howard Reacts To Jabs From Shaq (The Big Diss)
posted by Bschmitz on Mar 3, 2009 9:05:04 AM

Magic center Dwight Howard said he was "shocked" at some of the things Suns center Shaquille O'Neal has said about him.

"I try not to think about it. Some of the things I hear, I am shocked to hear him say that," said Howard, his trademark smile gone.

What has Shaq said?

Well, it’s all pretty much a variation on the same adolescent theme: I’m the original NBA Superman and Dwight can’t carry my, er, cape.

"You know, it’s normal for a kid to copycat his idol, but you know he can never be this good," Shaq has said.

Shaq was asked by CBSSports' Ken Berger recently if Howard was the closest thing to being the next Shaq. O’Neal scoffed.

"No. Not at all. He’s a good player. He can jump. But no," he said. "I was the type of player that they had to have secret meetings and change the rules and do all that. Probably never be another me. He’s a good player, but everything he’s done, I’ve invented. So I’m not impressed."

Sports Illustrated asked O’Neal --- who sports a Superman tattoo and often wears Superman pajama bottoms to practice --- whether Howard’s Superman shtick bothered him.

"Doesn’t bother me. I can’t be impressed by something I invented in ’92 (his first year in Orlando) . I mean, you look at what he is doing, I’ve been there and done that," O’Neal said. "Every street he is driving down in Orlando, I have been on that street. Every nightclub, every restaurant. . .. I have been there and done that.

"Until he wins three, four championships, then we can talk about him. But right now, he is just like every other big guy. ‘You can run and jump, but you haven’t won yet."’

Ouch. Ouch. And ouch.

Oh, and let us not forget the sight of Shaq bouncing a pass between Howard’s legs during the all-star game, leaving Dwight red-faced.

Of course, it just might be Shaq being Shaq. He has always been a giant entertainment center, flooding the league with pro wrestling-type propaganda.

He’s The Big Tweaker (ask favorite target Kobe and most recently, Toronto’s Chris Bosh, whom Shaq recently called "the RuPaul of big men.")

Before being asked about Shaq’s comments, Howard, 23, praised the play of The Big Comeback this season. He said he even taped the Suns’ game on Sunday against the L.A. Lakers and watched it twice, scouting the newly forceful Shaq, who turns 37 on Friday.

O’Neal scored 45 points in a win against the Raptors and 33 to beat Kobe and the Lakers, who, oddly enough, began Shaq’s ‘09 Reunion Tour. After facing the Magic tonight, The Big Diesel motors to Miami for a game on Wednesday against the Heat.

" I can’t stop Shaq from saying anything. I just wouldn’t expect that coming from him," Howard said. "But the only thing I would expect from him is that he would try to help me improve my game and that’s it."

Has he?

"No," Howard said.

"Like all the other big guys (do), you know, like Hakeem (Olajuwon), Pat Ewing, Dikembe (Mutombo), Bill Russell, David Robinson . . .tried to help me improve…Taking shots at somebody else, I wouldn’t do that."

I think Shaq might have a bit to much bounce in his step after the last two games. If there is a guy in the league who can absolutely expose Shaq for being on the downside of his career it's Dwight. The Suns have been running a ton, haven't had a day off since the ASG, just played the Lakers (and won), and go to Shaq's old home tomorrow in Miami, plus a long flight across the country. I'm liking the Magic more and more by the minute as they've had two days before this game and two off after.

Hi JP,

the Bucks wants to take this game as they're at home and have the next match very tough against the King. Ok, that looks obvious. I could also understand the way of your thinking about the Nets, but that sounds not so reasonable for me. First, why should they think so much about their next match vs Boston, when today's way more winnable match for them? Hey, let's be realistic here, how close can they keep with the Celtics tomorrow, if they've already were beaten by them by 20 and 30? It's a normal thing, that they (esp Harris and VC) wants to prove something before their crowd. But don't think it's a good deal to throw away today's game because of that. Bucks are fave coming into this match, because of the record at home, but let's not forget how did they struggle against th Nets before. As you mentioned, the Nets are 1.5 behind the Bucks, so they have chance to make it closer. What's more, they'll have another tough game at orlando this week yet.... just my two cents... gl on your other sides.

eh I think itd dtermined that we're playing Orlando, only question is now or later? the immediate jump from 8 to 7 might suggest it continues going down? I kinda wanna lock it in now at a semi-key number (as far as key numbers go in basketball) at 7. you?

Hi JP,

the Bucks wants to take this game as they're at home and have the next match very tough against the King. Ok, that looks obvious. I could also understand the way of your thinking about the Nets, but that sounds not so reasonable for me. First, why should they think so much about their next match vs Boston, when today's way more winnable match for them? Hey, let's be realistic here, how close can they keep with the Celtics tomorrow, if they've already were beaten by them by 20 and 30? It's a normal thing, that they (esp Harris and VC) wants to prove something before their crowd. But don't think it's a good deal to throw away today's game because of that. Bucks are fave coming into this match, because of the record at home, but let's not forget how did they struggle against th Nets before. As you mentioned, the Nets are 1.5 behind the Bucks, so they have chance to make it closer. What's more, they'll have another tough game at orlando this week yet.... just my two cents... gl on your other sides.

Some very good thoughts. Put yourself in the two different spots. Would you think you'd have a better chance of winning a game going to Cleveland or going home to face the Celtics w/out Garnett?

I typically don't buy into the fact that any NBA player thinks they have no shot of winning a game going into it. They all have to big of egos. Especially a veteran like Vince Carter. The Nets were up 5 points heading into the 4th last year at home to C's before getting outscored by 14. You have to think that there is a feeling inside of the locker room that they can actually beat them.

Also have to think that Carter has the mindset that I'm sick of kicking the shit out of the Bucks, but I'd really like to beat the Celtics on my home court. He has yet to beat the big three, but does have a couple of single digit losses to hang his hat on. Especially when you consider what happened to him and Harris in the last game against the C's.

NJ still isn't playing any defense and that's very dangerous against a Bucks team at home.

eh I think itd dtermined that we're playing Orlando, only question is now or later? the immediate jump from 8 to 7 might suggest it continues going down? I kinda wanna lock it in now at a semi-key number (as far as key numbers go in basketball) at 7. you?

I guess I just don't have a great feel for what kind of a move we'll see once Nash's status is announced. I think I'd lean towards taking it now rather than seeing it hit 8.5 if he's announced out.

Damn, had not read the Howard Shaq stuff. going to have to step that bet up. :shake:

tailing ya today JP as i'm too tied up with ridiculous browns rumors that will never even happen to even begin to research....hope you do well

:cheers:

jpicks -was liking the Magic too, but after that article...well, thanks - good shit

i have to agree w/ songo - i really don't see the Nets looking ahead of any game in their situation. every game is big for them. no, i'm sure they are not thinking they will lose to the C's, but i'm sure they see the bucks game as not only more winnable, but also as a needed win since they are going up against an even tougher opponent in the next two games...on the other hand (and i'm not exaggerating) i am 3-31 with games involving the Nets - i'm not playing it, and unsure who wins it, just don't see the nets looking past it

bol tonight

Wednesday Openers

Cavs -13.5/197
Celtics -6/194.5
Knicks PK/214
Jazz -7.5/201

Nets ML :)

tailing ya today JP as i'm too tied up with ridiculous browns rumors that will never even happen to even begin to research....hope you do well

:cheers:

:seeya: I hope you do well also.

jpicks -was liking the Magic too, but after that article...well, thanks - good shit

i have to agree w/ songo - i really don't see the Nets looking ahead of any game in their situation. every game is big for them. no, i'm sure they are not thinking they will lose to the C's, but i'm sure they see the bucks game as not only more winnable, but also as a needed win since they are going up against an even tougher opponent in the next two games...on the other hand (and i'm not exaggerating) i am 3-31 with games involving the Nets - i'm not playing it, and unsure who wins it, just don't see the nets looking past it

bol tonight

I guess part of today's play has a lot to do with the fact that I think the Nets win SU tomorrow. One big jigsaw puzzle. Win or lose there has been some great discussion about the game. In the end I just don't see how Vince doesn't have aspirations to beat the C's at least once during their current roster form. It's not going to happen in Boston with KG back so this is his best shot. We'll all find out soon enough though. :cheers:

good stuff man

Orl was on my radr before comments so i like that

have to agree on Detriot Unda as well..see a nip/tuck game and few possesions with Mr Big Slowdown's return to motown

lean Nets here as well but Bucks playin good ball of late at home..may wait til HT

gl

Thanks guys. A little update on Nash:

Nash likely to play tonight vs. Magic

by Paul Coro - Mar. 3, 2009 12:33 PM
The Arizona Republic

Suns guard Steve Nash is planning to play tonight against Orlando after missing a week of action due to a right ankle sprain.

"It's still sore," Nash said this afternoon, "but it's a lot stronger. Today, I feel ready that I can give it a shot and get through it."

Nash has missed eight games this season, the most he has been out in a season since the 200-01 year in Dallas when he played 70 of 82 games.

If Nash plays, the Suns will go back to the lineup with Grant Hill starting at power forward, which fits just fine against fellow pseudo power forward Rashard Lewis.

I'm soo close on Magic, but I think that line is tight.
I expected -5 or -6 especially after Phoenix's performance
on Sunday. Those linesmakers are sharp this time of year !!

BOL !!

Back