Tuesday Hoops with Handy

handy

Pretty much a regular
Hi there,

Welcome to Tuesday Hoops with Handy. Wow I guess I have the urge to post twice in three days. Trust me that's not a good thing. Too much posting isn't good for you.

Once again I stress that the Detroit Pistons are the best bargain on the NBA futures board. Remember one team from the East has to play in the Finals and if it's not the Heat it's likely the Pistons. Seriously, can you honestly tell me one team in the East which you confidentally believe is capable of beating Miami or Detroit in a series? Actually it's quite possible that a team might have to beat both of them to get in the Finals given the unknown playoff seating of the Heat. Look at the futures odds and you will see Detroit is still out there at 11:1 if you do some shopping. I'm starting to see a lot of 8:1 but that still is a very good deal. I'm starting to think they might be the team which wins the Chamionship. Kind of like the same thing which happened a couple years ago when they beat the Lakers. Everyone is concentrating on the Mavs and Suns but there is no reason anyone should think Detroit can't compete and beat these teams. I still think if Miami is healthy they're ultimately the team to beat in the East simply because of Shaq and Wade but they have so many inuries and aging stars that they might be a team which continues to break down as the season goes on. That's another reason to be careful betting the Miami Heat because they're probably doing their best just to get in and not be on the same side of the East Bracket as Detroit.

Here are my thoughts for Tuesday's action.

Portland at Miami - I believe the Heat win but by 9? Maybe but don't count on it. Remember all they need to do is win and remain healthy? Yes, staying healthy is probably as important as them winning. No Jayson Williams, Gary Payton is clearly over the hill, Shaq working his way back into shape. Yeah, I certainly don't see Miami losing but covering might be dicey in the 4th qtr. as stars are probably instructed by Riley to rest and not risk injury if they don't have to.

New Orleans at Memphs - Well the Hornets are certainly playing some pretty decent basketballl. Lets not forget that they started the season healthy winning basketball games with their defense. Now as many of you know I'm not one who likes to lay points on the road and this is just another example of that but do you really think Memphis is interested in winning games? I'm not sure. I think they're in a silent competition with the Celtics for the most ping pong balls so they can get their hands on Greg Oden. There is no way I would be Boston or Memphis unless I was getting a ton of points because deep down I can't stop but think about whether or not they're really trying to win. The coach of the Grizzlies is the player personell director. This may sound like a conspiracy but I think it's more like reality. Look the Celtics yesterday turned the ball over three times in the last minute with a chance to take the lead and win the game. In the end they lose on a last second shot. Are they trying to throw the game? Who knows but betting these two teams getting a couple of points isn't in my opinion a bright idea.

Toronto at Chicago - This game just smells underdog to me all the way. I know it still sounds like a tough and maybe bad bet and perhaps it is. Lets not forget this is the first game back off a long trip for the Bulls and that usually spells difficult game for the home team. Not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on this one simply because the line is so short meaning the Raptors are likely going to need to win in order to cover this game. I don't bank on 4 points to save the day. If I don't think the dog can win I'm not a player. I'm going to sleep on this one.

Knicks at Lakers - Here is another game similar to the one I just talked about. Lakers returning off a long road trip playing a Knicks team which is playing reasonable well. Lakers have gone 3-7 over their last ten games. So much for that guy who believes the Lakers are so much better with Lamar Odem. The Lakers have played better without Lamar. Remember history doesn't mean shit and if you bank on last years performance without Odem well you've been proven to be a sucker. I will always tell you that relying on what happened yesterday is a very dangerous way to forecast tomorrow. For the most part it doesn't mean shit. Believe what you want and of course you're entitled to your opinion but no one can convince me otherwise. Yesterday I saw some idiot pull up a bunch of trends on the Phoenix Suns vs. Chicago Bulls over the last 10 years. You've got to be kidding me.

San Antonio at New Jersey - I know what you're thinking the Spurs can't and won't lose 3 in a row. Well let me be the first to correct you that the Spurs can and might lose three in a row. Do I believe they will? No. However, I've seen enough of this team over the last month or so to know that laying points with them on the road is a really dumb idea. Yeah, they matchup well with the Nets and if they don't grab a win tonight they're unlikely to get one at Detroit on Wednesday. Duncan should have his way and the Spurs transition D should be able to dictate the pace and tempo of this one but laying 5.5 is fucking nuts. Seriously, why would you do that? They couldn't hold onto a 16 point lead at Orlando and now you want to lay 5.5 on the road. C'mon sober up before you make that bet.

Dallas at Milwaukee - Well the Dallas Mavs on the ML is simply money in the bank almost every night of the season. Doesn't matter what the price, what they situation they almost always find a way to win. Yeah, they probably win tonight too. By how many? I don't know but I strongly believe that you can't go wrong if you include the Mavs as part of a ML parlay with another strong bet out there.

Sacramento at Houston - Here is another game which I believe the Kings are going to grab the attention of many bettors. Not sure why other than the fact that most bettors are pretty stupid. Seriously, the Kings are one of the worse road teams in the league which happened to catch fire for a few games. Their defense sucks and they're going up against one of the better defensive minded coaches in the league. Plus, no Brad Miller and +7.5 looks like a terrible bet to me. Maybe I'm dead wrong as I have been many times before but from a logical point of view I can't give you a reason to back Sacramento on the road.

Texas Tech is desperate. Look for a big effort tonight at Texas A&M. I hate playing road dogs in college hoops but Texas Tech needs a big time effort real bad. Don't be surprised if they make a game out of it but still lose. A&M is going to make someone's life real difficult come March.

All right that's it.

Good luck and as always life is dandy when you're capping the game with Handy!!

Yesterday I saw some idiot pull up a bunch of trends on the Phoenix Suns vs. Chicago Bulls over the last 10 years. You've got to be kidding me.

hahaha who?

good thread hornets looks like a decent bet grizzlies suck

Cakeoff,

Was that you? I don't remember who posted it but I do remember seeing it. I'm telling you relying on yesterday's news is a myth. It's worthless info because the teams, coaching, maybe weather, injuries, scheduling situation are all different factors.

Think about it. How can you possibly rely on yesterday to confidentally determine today?

can't agree more on the Sacto-Houston writeup, I will go with the Rockets here, despite the look ahead factor for Houston (they're facing Dallas in 2 days and Miami later this week).

GL Handy :shake: :cheers:

Cakeoff,

Was that you? I don't remember who posted it but I do remember seeing it. I'm telling you relying on yesterday's news is a myth. It's worthless info because the teams, coaching, maybe weather, injuries, scheduling situation are all different factors.

Think about it. How can you possibly rely on yesterday to confidentally determine today?
no it wasnt me but thats funny

five stars, Handy!

goodthread.gif

What's the right trade Ben Wallace for Shaquille O'Neal? You're dreaming buddy. It almost never happens in the NBA that a team which hasn't won anything suddenly shows up and winds up in the NBA finals. Teams tend to build on their last season by lets say getting to the next round of the post season. Yeah, anything can happen but for all the hype of this Bulls team they've yet to win a round of the playoffs. Yes, they have a few experienced guys like PJ Brown and Ben Wallace but the nucleus of this team hasn't got out of the first round. Lets see them do that before we try annoiting them Eastern Conference contenders. Plus, this team has difficulty scoring and they're not going to be able to guard Shaq and Wade with the crew they have now.

imo the bulls are MUCH, MUCH better than the cavs and detroit. I know your a know-it-all handy but UR DEAD WRONG ABOUT this- dwade is my favorite player but bulls almost beat them last year and if wade doesnt get the phantom fouls bulls will win

Thanks Handy, you may be right and I may crazy to steal a line from Billy Joel.....but I think Paxson will make a move before the 2/22 deadline.

The Bulls are better than the Heat and would've won last year had they got the calls. Sounds like someone took a bath on the Bulls in many of those games. In fact I remember the Bulls were a big public underdog in game 5 at Miami get 8.5/9 after winning games 3 and 4.

Anyone who thinks the Bulls and Cavs are better than Detroit should stop what they're doing and immediately contact alcoholics annonymous. Seriously get off the sauce before you won't have any money to buy the sauce. Cleveland and Chicago are pretenders. In fact I believe the Bulls are the 4th and maybe 5th best in the East. They can't score and they're too small.

Sounds like someone took a bath on the Bulls in many of those games.

the bulls were 4 - 2 ats in the opening round of the playoffs last year vs the miami heat.

Brewers,

The Bulls may have been 4-2 vs. the number but that doesn't mean shit. They became a huge public underdog bet in game 5 which many people probably doubled and tripled up on when they saw +9 or +10 at Miami. Since most people are suck damn clueless when it comes to money management they're capable of going 4-2 and losing a lot of money.

Yes, I believe Miami was the public bets in the first four games of the series. If that were the case then people did take a bath with the Bulls because they had no idea when to bet on or against them.

Life is dandy when you remember the line history like Handy!!

no actually i didn't bet at all in the playoffs last year- im from chicago and been following the nba closely everyday- 1. lebron is overrated and his team sucks 2. det has lazy people on their team/ sheed and webber smoke dank everyday 3. i dont know why people keep saying the bulls can't score/ against pho who people say is pretty good right?? deng had 29 heinrich 29 gordon 27- these guys can shoot the lights out, nocioni is our guy who can drive hard and play reckless defense 4. i know the bulls have at least as good a defense as det. and even better at home
so don't talk all cocky telling people to quit gambling and call AA and all this shit, u dont know shit

Back