tu cleaning house

pressitup

Leader of the Adult Humor Industry
BY RANDY GALLOWAY
Special to the Star-Telegram
galloway100.png
My pleasant thoughts this morning — and really, when are my thoughts NOT pleasant? — but moving along rapidly, before you lose breakfast, I’ve got nothing except good things to say about one of our state’s most high profile newcomers.

Charlie Strong. Loving your work, man. Loving a man who says it, then does it.
<center style="padding: 0px; margin: auto; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.666666984558105px; line-height: 13.55199909210205px; overflow: hidden; height: 0px; width: auto; max-width: 410px;">

</center>If you are going to play football for Charlie at the University of Texas, he told you straight up on Day One of his Austin arrival, you will do right, you will live right, you will whiz in a random cup, you will go to class, you will make your grades, you will be a dedicated teammate, and may God himself have mercy on your young soul if you ever lay an angry hand on a woman.
Without an official confirmation yet from Strong, but based on published reports, as many as six holdover UT players, with the number possibly going to nine, or higher, have been kicked off the team at Texas. And that’s so far.
So what is there not to like about the rules, the regulations and, most of all, the walking of the talking from one Charlie Strong, new head coach of the Longhorns?
I say nothing. Absolutely nothing not to like, but there’s also an echo coming in this morning. I’m hearing the voice of the late Gordon Wood, who during his days at Brownwood became the most revered high school football coach the state of Texas has ever known.
Reporter: “Coach, what are your team rules?”
Gordon: “I don’t have any rules.”
Reporter (shocked): “You don’t?”
Gordon: “If you’ve got rules, you may have to enforce one.”
When that exchange happened many years ago, Wood gave a big smile. I think he was jacking with me. But it made sense.
What if your best player breaks a hard and fast rule the night before the big game? But that was also the ’60s and ’70s. For the right coach, players of that era ran through walls. Nowadays, players may have a coach shoved up against that same wall.
Charlie is not a coach who will be shoved. Gordon Wood would like that. I like that. But it does come with ramifications attached, particularly in this day and age. A sizable number of UT players broke Charlie’s hard and fast rules.
Based on the pulpit pounding I read from my esteemed colleague, the Rev. Mac Engel, the players doing that kind of coach shoving are the “knucklehead element” who must be eliminated from a local college football program.
Are you listening, Gary Patterson? Stop recruiting “knuckleheads.” Rev. Engel said so.
GP has certainly had his TCU problems with that element over the last few years, and lately it involves the ongoing headaches associated with once-stud defensive end Devonte Fields.
I agree with Rev. Engel. Get rid of Fields. This is twice he’s been an embarrassment, although this current case is much more serious than a year ago.
But in total disagreement with Rev. Engel, there’s also not a college football program in the land that can afford to eliminate all the knuckleheads in recruitment.
More than not, the knucklehead element tends to clean up their act in college and become productive players for you by doing right and living right.
Unfortunately, the ones who don’t clean up their act will make the ugly headlines, from Austin to Norman to all points east and west. Those headlines make your school and your program look cheap.
But just read the small-type headline every day in this newspaper. Football programs across the country are having serious knucklehead problems.
But then again, there was a noted knucklehead playing quarterback in College Station the last two years. Is any Aggie anywhere sorry?
Is there a school in the United States of America that doesn’t wish it had had that Johnny Knucklehead? Or the knucklehead who plays in Tallahassee right now?
Recruiting is the same thing as buying stock or betting horses. You make your educated wager and then hope it turns out for the best.
If you don’t make the knucklehead wager in recruiting, and if you don’t cash on enough of those knucklehead gambles, then you are going to win about five games. Then you get fired.
What Charlie Strong is attempting to find out in Austin is which of Mack Brown’s knuckleheads want to play by Charlie Strong rules. Obviously, some don’t.
Those some are gone, and others may follow. Charlie’s immediate challenge is to go find his own knuckleheads in recruiting, and then win the long-term gamble on them.
For 2014, Charlie’s looming issue is he didn’t inherit a ton of top talent. He is taking over a program that didn’t have one — not one — player drafted in the NFL in May. Seven rounds, not one Longhorn taken. That was a staggering message to a new coach.
Some of those holdover players who reportedly are now gone in Austin were going to see a lot of snaps. At least three of them were at that level. Others provided depth.
Charlie also doesn’t have a proven quarterback, unless David Ash can stay healthy. That’s real iffy, of course.
Uh-oh. A QB shortage and a depth shortage loom for Strong in the fall. The Whiny Orange Nation is not a patient bunch, but the Whinys in my circle of friends are praising the Strong-arm of Charlie at the moment, liking it that he’s kicking butt and cleaning house. I promised each one of those Whinys I’d get back to them on Strong in, like, November.
But regardless of how the 2014 season turns out in Austin, Charlie Strong was a great hire. When Mack Brown was fired, the anti-Mack was needed, provided the ’Bama cat couldn’t be lured by a trillion-dollar offer.
Charlie is the anti-Mack. Charlie is a proven coach. If he can survive long enough in Austin, it’s his recruits who will carry him, not Mack’s knuckleheads.
But imagine this: a coach who delivers his message then backs up that message. Live right, do right. If not, I-35 runs both ways out of town.
Leave a message for Randy Galloway at 817-390-7697.
<center style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;">

</center>

And that's good for them.
Too many good players in this state to mess with the punks.

JFF being the exception.

Sounds like he has the right approach, hopefully he will be there long enough to enjoy the results. I am a big fan of his.

trying to be derogatory. everyone wanted a culture change, well--here's the culture change. This makes Mack look even worst than everyone thought he was. The country club is gone, they moved it to tamu right next to the tractors and cousin kissers.

Pretty sure I said good for them as this has been going on every off season. Back to a certain west Texas running back hitting the gonja and breaking in to someone's apartment.........to steal their tv? or they stole his tv?. Damn getting old.
It's always about the whinnies. Can't even say something good about 'em.

The Ags have a qb hopeful get shitfaced and pass out in a planter, in public.

Both teams need to be strong.

We're actually excited about football again in Austin, and damn it feels good.

That clown Brown is gone. Yes, at one time he was a hard working guy who earned his money. After the 2005 title, he started the process of engaging auto-pilot. The guy ended up here a petty, soft, passive-aggressive and vindictive goldbricker. He left the cupboard bare and burned much of the goodwill he had built up. He put his buddies in positions to sit on their asses and rob the University. Now, gone is Brown's system of entitlement, his country club, the cronyism, the coddling, the softness, the thin skin, and everything else that became so nauseating over the years. Just today, on the first day of practice, our players had to actually walk the 4 blocks from the locker rooms to the practice fields. In lieu of the air conditioned buses under Brown's watch. Yes, they used to take buses.

Good god, thankfully Brown is gone. We're happy, really happy, to have a football coach now who really is a football coach.

One thing possibly missed in the article is the fact that TCU needs to avoid the same path.
We've seen a few things happen there in the last couple of years.
I'll enjoy watching Joeckel this year, even though I can do without the froggies.

We're actually excited about football again in Austin, and damn it feels good.

That clown Brown is gone. Yes, at one time he was a hard working guy who earned his money. After the 2005 title, he started the process of engaging auto-pilot. The guy ended up here a petty, soft, passive-aggressive and vindictive goldbricker. He left the cupboard bare and burned much of the goodwill he had built up. He put his buddies in positions to sit on their asses and rob the University. Now, gone is Brown's system of entitlement, his country club, the cronyism, the coddling, the softness, the thin skin, and everything else that became so nauseating over the years. Just today, on the first day of practice, our players had to actually walk the 4 blocks from the locker rooms to the practice fields. In lieu of the air conditioned buses under Brown's watch. Yes, they used to take buses.

Good god, thankfully Brown is gone. We're happy, really happy, to have a football coach now who really is a football coach.

As good as it is, you guys have to have a qb. It's ridiculous for Austin to not have a quality qb.

It's the right approach for Charlie. If you are hoping to have a culture of the scrappy 3*-4* kids overachieving, you can't have the jackasses alongside them not paying the price. I still think it's kind of a tough town and environment to instill that culture though. Pretty backwards coaching state when you think about it. The "swag" coaches are in Lubbock and Bryan-College Station. The hardass is in Austin. So lots of partying at Wings&More. Not as much on 6th street.

It's the right approach for Charlie. If you are hoping to have a culture of the scrappy 3*-4* kids overachieving, you can't have the jackasses alongside them not paying the price. I still think it's kind of a tough town and environment to instill that culture though. Pretty backwards coaching state when you think about it. The "swag" coaches are in Lubbock and Bryan-College Station. The hardass is in Austin. So lots of partying at Wings&More. Not as much on 6th street.
Im thinking UT wants to get back to the 5s and pick of the litters

God bless Charlie and he seems like a nice/good guy....Not the hire Id want but hey, If he cant win in the LongHorn Network Conference then shame on him

On the subject of Texas.....That UNT U51 is appetizing. They lost a 3000 yd passer, a 1000 yd rusher and WRs with 125 catches in '13. We've got key suspensions on offense for this game. Not sure I'm seeing 7+ touchdowns in this game.

Yeah, laying 25 out of the chute is heavy, very heavy. Given what we have in the early part of the season - BYU, UCLA, Baylor, OU....this UNT game is going to be as vanilla as it gets.

Yes was going to bring up the unt situation when I made the froggies reference.
The horns probably give a good effort for the new coach until talent takes over n other games.
It still comes down to the qb.

Anyway, we've now lost Shipley for the opener looks like (at least) with a hammy. Not sure who is going to catch the ball now. We'll just run, run, run. See the under.

Inside Texas was saying 3 weeks, max. But it makes sense to let him rest for unt. I don't think he'll be gettin a lot of looks this year with how bad this O Line is gonna be.

Back