44. Patrick Sharp
45. Eric Staal
46. Alexander Steen
47. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
48. Milan Lucic
49. Semyon Varlamov
50. Kyle Okposo

No Thomas Vanek on that list?

Kessel is probably a bit too low, you're right teed. I think Malkin is too low as well, but he's #6 so it's not that big of a deal I guess...I just think he's gotta be in the top 5.

I see that The Hockey News has also compiled a Top 50 list. I would certainly trust TSN over THN, especially since THN used a panel of executives, broadcasters, and 'observers' to get their list.

The Hockey News is releasing their Top 50 in 10 players increments...they have only released #41-50 as of now.

41. ALEXANDER STEEN | ST. LOUIS | LW | LY: N/R
According to the number crunchers, only Jonathan Toews faces tougher competition than Steen does. And he scored 33 goals.
42. ZDENO CHARA | BOSTON | D | LY: 15
He has slowed considerably and is vulnerable defensively, but remains a force for the powerhouse Bruins.
43. JOE THORNTON | SAN JOSE | C | LY: N/R
His ice time is way down, but Thornton still manages to finish near the top of the league in assists.
44. PHIL KESSEL | TORONTO | RW | LY: 41
He has it all – speed, skill, a blazing shot – but Kessel remains unable to elevate those around him, though he’s an underrated playmaker.
45. VICTOR HEDMAN | TAMPA BAY | D | LY: N/R
After emerging from that awkward development stage with a struggling team, Hedman is poised for very good things.
46. LOGAN COUTURE | SAN JOSE | C | LY: 28
When healthy, Couture is good for 30 goals a season, but that trajectory could be pointed upward.
47. BRENT SEABROOK | CHICAGO | D | LY: N/R
He proved he’s much more than Duncan Keith’s wingman a long time ago and is an underrated gem.
48. JAROMIR JAGR | NEW JERSEY | RW | LY: N/R
The only player who would have been on this list 20 years ago, he remains a top possession player in the league.
49. NATHAN MacKINNON | COLORADO | C | LY: N/R
Being stuck behind Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly didn’t stop him from being an offensive force in his rookie season.
50. PATRICK SHARP | CHICAGO | LW | LY: N/R
The playoffs and Olympics weren’t kind to him, but Sharp still has the tools to be a major offensive contributor.

"but Kessel remains unable to elevate those around him, though he’s an underrated playmaker.

explain this line to me..you can't call someone an underrated playmaker and then call him out for unable to elevate those around him...it's one or the other...

"but Kessel remains unable to elevate those around him, though he’s an underrated playmaker.

explain this line to me..you can't call someone an underrated playmaker and then call him out for unable to elevate those around him...it's one or the other...

The only viable way to make sense of that sentence is to believe that other people think he is even shittier at elevating those around him than the folks at THN do.

Only thing Kessel can do is score. Hes a top 5 offensive threat in the league but also might be a top 5 defensive liability in the league

My dads going to blow a gasket when he sees that list. We've had Lightning season tickets for 3 years and he fucking HATES Hedman

Looking at the list again, Daysyuk is too low as well. This isn't fantasy hockey we're talking about...is there a better 2 way player in the game than Datsyuk? Maybe his age and the fact he's been injured a bit lately has him lower on the list? That's certainly understandable if that's the case.

Here are players 40-31 of THN's list that they revealed today. They have Datsyuk at #40, so again, take this list with a grain of salt.

31. NICKLAS BACKSTROM | WASHINGTON | C | LY: N/R
Being Alex Ovechkin’s defensive conscience is the toughest job in the NHL, but Backstrom does it willingly.
32. MARIAN HOSSA | CHICAGO | RW | LY: 32
Injuries are taking their toll, but Hossa remains an elite three-zone player and clutch performer in the playoffs.
33. MATT DUCHENE | COLORADO | C | LY: N/R
We’d like to see him score more, but Duchene is emerging as a prototypical Western Conference pivot.
34. RYAN JOHANSEN | COLUMBUS | C | LY: N/R
He broke out in a major way in 2013-14 and has the potential to be a long-term 80-point guy.
35. OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON | ARIZONA | D | LY: N/R
The smooth-skating defenseman has established himself as a 40-point man and contributor at both ends.
36. RYAN O’REILLY | COLORADO | C | LY: N/R
He’s one of the few guys in the league who’s nastier in contract negotiations than he is on the ice.
37. HENRIK ZETTERBERG | DETROIT | C | LY: 26
He will never be the player he once was because of injuries, but we still like what he is.
38. MARTIN ST-LOUIS | NY RANGERS | RW | LY: 12
He’s going to slow down at some point, right? The process has begun but not enough to deter him.
39. DAVID KREJCI | BOSTON | C | LY: 43
His reputation as a big playoff performer took a serious hit in the spring, but Krejci remains an elite setup man.
40. PAVEL DATSYUK | DETROIT | C | LY: 11
He still plays great defense and makes eye-popping plays but not with enough consistency. The Hall of Fame awaits.

Hockey News has some weird ones

Jags is not in the top 50 anymore, let alone top 100

and I love RyJo, I hope hes dicking around the BJs because he wants to come home, but he's not 34th, would be crazy to take him ahead of the guys below him right now, maybe in 2-3 years

nice to see OEL get some recognition on both lists, he's lost playing in Phoenix, if he played in Toronto there would be a statue of him outside the ACC

Back