• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Tragedy at Saratoga (Parcells Horse)

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
Maple Leaf Mel was in the clear and going to win easy and somehow with 2 strides of the Finish the horse collapses. It looked like the horse may have snapped the lower half of his leg. Maybe the sickest thing I’ve witnessed in all of sports.
It’s so bad Fox left the coverage at Saratoga to cover a harness race.
Rosario is fine but the horse suffered a catastrophic injury. Unbelievably sad.

The thing that makes the thoroughbred so brilliantly fast is also the thing that makes it the most vulnerable. An 1100-1200 pound animal running on ankles not much bigger than humans.

You can put whatever safety measures or medication rules and committees you want, but this still going to happen, unfortunately.

This will add fuel to the anti-racing sectors and once again another black-eye for the sport.

The thing that makes the thoroughbred so brilliantly fast is also the thing that makes it the most vulnerable. An 1100-1200 pound animal running on ankles not much bigger than humans.

You can put whatever safety measures or medication rules and committees you want, but this still going to happen, unfortunately.

This will add fuel to the anti-racing sectors and once again another black-eye for the sport.
You’re right. This particular accident is going to make some waves.

Regardless how ugly the injury is, that it happened in a big graded stakes race is a disaster on top how awful it already is
I hold my breath on these big race days, hoping this doesn't happen. But, yes, all things considered today, this is a major blow to the sport.

This horse was home free. The vision in my head of the horse getting up and not able to plant the front leg is so unfortunate. When they came back from commercial one of the announcers was heard saying, OMG. Was probably euthanized on the spot at that moment. Brutal

Brutal, dark weekend at Saratoga, starting with Friday and the late pick 4 being cancelled due to weather, then Saturday's Test tragedy with Maple Leaf Mel on national TV, followed by another catastrophic injury to Even Summer on Sunday in the 4th race on the turf course that led to a late move off the turf for races 7, 9 and 10 that basically diluted all multi-race wagers with a bunch of ALL bets, even though the races were still run.

Power outage today cancels the 5th race, with rest of the day on hold. This is the meet from hell.

Back