Toyota / Race Mart 350 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Toyota / Race Mart 350 Race Preview

NASCAR Cup Series: Toyota / Save Mart 350
Sunday, June 12, 2022 at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California

Last Week's Race

Last week was the Enjoy Illinois 300 in the World Wide Technology Raceway, which made its debut on the NASCAR Cup Series circuit.

Despite its newness in the NASCAR Cup Series scene, this event enjoyed a tremendous fan atmosphere.

The fans also had a lot to enjoy on the track.

This race went to overtime where Joey Logano and Kyle Busch engaged in an intense battle.

Logano prevailed, taking the win over Kyle Busch to earn his second win of the season.

Given Logano's successful effort, he has positioned himself second in the NASCAR Cup Series standings behind Ross Chastain who, despite this last race, remains on top.

Kyle Busch, meanwhile, has moved into sixth.

For this week's betting, it is Logano who I wish to focus on.

We should exclude him from our list of candidates to win this upcoming race because it is very rare to win consecutive NASCAR Cup Series races.

Race Info

This week is the Toyota / Save Mart 350 on the Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 110 laps.

There has been some confusion in this regard because previous renditions event required drivers to complete only 90 laps.

However, fans and spectators urged NASCAR officials to reintroduce the Chute into this race.

Because NASCAR drivers will, like they used to before 2019, race the chute while the race will stay at 350 km, drivers are going to complete 110 laps instead of 90.

As has almost always been the case, there will be three stages for this event.

Stage 1 will require drivers to complete 25 laps. Stage 2 ends upon completion of the 55thlap. Stage 3 consists in the final 55 laps.

Entry List and Starting Lineup

The entry list for this race has been posted already.

On this entry list, 36 teams/drivers out of 40 possible spots have been established.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

Qualifying for this race will take place on Saturday afternoon.

It is scheduled to take place from 2:30-3:30 p.m. ET in multi-vehicle, two-round fashion.

Practice, scheduled for 1:30-2:30 p.m. ET on the same day, will precede qualifying directly.

Track Info

With the Chute back, Sonoma Raceway will feature wild corners with spots where passing will be precarious.

Given this added possibility of fatal mistakes, we'll want to rely on drivers who have a proven history at this track -- with its Chute layout -- before 2019.

Therefore, ignore results at Sonoma that took place after 2018 when there was no Chute.

Chute or no Chute, this is a road course with an asphalt surface.

My Favorite Matchup

Bovada is offering a matchup betting opportunity that I wish to take advantage of.

It involves supporting Denny Hamlin who has really turned things around.

Before Ross Chastain initiated contact with Hamlin and ruined his race last week, Hamlin had earned three straight top-four finishes.

Hamlin is matched up with Chastain.

I like Hamlin because he has enjoyed strong performances in the Chute layout whereas Chastain has not.

My Guy

In terms of choosing a straight-up winner, I like Martin Truex Jr., who won the last race at Sonoma, in 2018, that had the Chute layout.

Truex Jr. has cultivated a strong reputation for road racing. He has two career wins at Sonoma with the Chute layout and, more recently and in addition to his 2018 win, earned a top-five finish in 2016 before engine problems derailed his hopes in 2017.

I recommend investing in Truex Jr. to win this race.

For the above reasons, I like Hamlin to beat Chastain and Truex Jr. to win.

Best Bet: Hamlin at EVEN vs. Chastain & Truex Jr. Outright at +1000 with Bovada

Toyota / Race Mart 350 Race Preview

NASCAR Cup Series: Toyota / Save Mart 350
Sunday, June 12, 2022 at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California

Last Week's Race

Last week was the Enjoy Illinois 300 in the World Wide Technology Raceway, which made its debut on the NASCAR Cup Series circuit.

Despite its newness in the NASCAR Cup Series scene, this event enjoyed a tremendous fan atmosphere.

The fans also had a lot to enjoy on the track.

This race went to overtime where Joey Logano and Kyle Busch engaged in an intense battle.

Logano prevailed, taking the win over Kyle Busch to earn his second win of the season.

Given Logano's successful effort, he has positioned himself second in the NASCAR Cup Series standings behind Ross Chastain who, despite this last race, remains on top.

Kyle Busch, meanwhile, has moved into sixth.

For this week's betting, it is Logano who I wish to focus on.

We should exclude him from our list of candidates to win this upcoming race because it is very rare to win consecutive NASCAR Cup Series races.

Race Info

This week is the Toyota / Save Mart 350 on the Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California.

For this race, drivers must complete a total of 110 laps.

There has been some confusion in this regard because previous renditions event required drivers to complete only 90 laps.

However, fans and spectators urged NASCAR officials to reintroduce the Chute into this race.

Because NASCAR drivers will, like they used to before 2019, race the chute while the race will stay at 350 km, drivers are going to complete 110 laps instead of 90.

As has almost always been the case, there will be three stages for this event.

Stage 1 will require drivers to complete 25 laps. Stage 2 ends upon completion of the 55thlap. Stage 3 consists in the final 55 laps.

Entry List and Starting Lineup

The entry list for this race has been posted already.

On this entry list, 36 teams/drivers out of 40 possible spots have been established.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

Qualifying for this race will take place on Saturday afternoon.

It is scheduled to take place from 2:30-3:30 p.m. ET in multi-vehicle, two-round fashion.

Practice, scheduled for 1:30-2:30 p.m. ET on the same day, will precede qualifying directly.

Track Info

With the Chute back, Sonoma Raceway will feature wild corners with spots where passing will be precarious.

Given this added possibility of fatal mistakes, we'll want to rely on drivers who have a proven history at this track -- with its Chute layout -- before 2019.

Therefore, ignore results at Sonoma that took place after 2018 when there was no Chute.

Chute or no Chute, this is a road course with an asphalt surface.

My Favorite Matchup

Bovada is offering a matchup betting opportunity that I wish to take advantage of.

It involves supporting Denny Hamlin who has really turned things around.

Before Ross Chastain initiated contact with Hamlin and ruined his race last week, Hamlin had earned three straight top-four finishes.

Hamlin is matched up with Chastain.

I like Hamlin because he has enjoyed strong performances in the Chute layout whereas Chastain has not.

My Guy

In terms of choosing a straight-up winner, I like Martin Truex Jr., who won the last race at Sonoma, in 2018, that had the Chute layout.

Truex Jr. has cultivated a strong reputation for road racing. He has two career wins at Sonoma with the Chute layout and, more recently and in addition to his 2018 win, earned a top-five finish in 2016 before engine problems derailed his hopes in 2017.

I recommend investing in Truex Jr. to win this race.

For the above reasons, I like Hamlin to beat Chastain and Truex Jr. to win.

Best Bet: Hamlin at EVEN vs. Chastain & Truex Jr. Outright at +1000 with Bovada
It will probably be a good idea, in general, to fade Chastain this week as he will likely be more careful when on the track and does have payback coming.

Added:

2 units:
McDowell -115 over Custer (BAS & Bovada)

1 unit:
Allmendinger -120 over Cindric (BAS) I now have 3 units on this.

Added:

1 unit:
Haley +145 over Erik Jones (BAS) (I just don't understand this line so I bet it)

Unless the BM lines move a lot, this is probably all that I will have. I wanted to fade Stenhouse because he looked so bad in practice and qualifying and is generally not great on road courses but all I could find was a matchup against Burton.

3 units:
Allmendinger -120 over Cindric (BM & BAS)

2 units:

1 unit:
Haley +145 over Erik Jones (BAS) (I just don't understand this line so I bet it)

I did not know Allmendinger was going to the rear, not good.

To the rear: Bell (steering), Allmendinger (exhaust), Jones (steering), Ware (plus pass-through for tech fails)

Unless the BM lines move a lot, this is probably all that I will have. I wanted to fade Stenhouse because he looked so bad in practice and qualifying and is generally not great on road courses but all I could find was a matchup against Burton.

3 units:
Allmendinger -120 over Cindric (BM & BAS)

2 units:

1 unit:
-0.15 units

Back