Toyota Owners 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Toyota Owners 400 Preview and Pick

NASCAR Cup Series: Toyota Owners 400
Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. ET (FOX) at Richmond Raceway in Henrico County, Virginia

Weirdness

The start of this NASCAR season continues to be weirder.

After Chase Briscoe of all drivers won in Phoenix, William Byron earned his third career victory in Atlanta before Ross Chastain collected his first career win last week in Austin.

You really have to start to ask yourself: when will the big names start to take over.

Anyhow, this season has not been completely hard. It has been and remains hard for a driver to win back-to-back races.

Briscoe didn't accomplish this feat nor did Byron. We can feel certain that Chastain won't do the same, either.

So, when considering which driver will most likely win Sunday's upcoming race, we can eliminate at the very least Chastain from consideration.

Race Info

For this Sunday's race, drivers must complete a total of 400 laps.

As has always been the case this season, there are three stages for this race.

Stage 1 requires drivers to complete 80 laps. Stage 2 consists in the next 155 laps. Finally, Stage 3 terminates upon completion of the 300thlap.

By now, an entry list has been published for this race.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

37 teams/drivers are listed for 40 spots. All of the familiar faces will be there.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined via qualifying.

On Saturday, drivers get a practice session that will start at 10:30 a.m.

Qualifying is scheduled to happen right after the practice session, at 11:05 a.m.

It will be a single-car, one-lap, two-round qualifying.

Track Info

Richmond Raceway has several fitting nicknames.

It is known as: "America's Premiere Short Track," "Strawberry Hill," and "Action Track."

As these nicknames suggest, Richmond Raceway is uniquely short.

Because it is short, bettors will want to keep an eye on the aero package that's being used.

Typically, drivers have complained that it is harder to pass on this course except for, maybe and eventually, the long runs.

Drivers who collect penalties or infractions and are disadvantaged in their starting position by them will inevitably suffer in their finishing position.

As for the track itself, we are back on an asphalt surface.

This track has .75-mile laps. So, in completing 400 laps, drivers will have completed 300 miles.

Despite its shortness as a track, it has a unique "D" shape that facilitates high speeds. These high speeds help justify the "action" part of one of the track's nicknames.

The banking is rather moderate and so it does not contribute to the higher speeds at this short track.

Each turn is banked at 14 degrees. There is eight degrees banking on the frontstretch and two on the backstretch.

Drivers I Dislike

I shouldn't quite say that I dislike Ross Chastain. He has earned four straight top-three finishes.

Plus, he made up tremendous ground in those last four races.

However, this is not always an easy track to make up ground on. So, I am skeptical about his ability to maintain this pattern of poor starts and strong finishes.

I dislike Denny Hamlin as he continues to struggle despite having favorable starting positions.

Unlike others such as Joey Logano, Hamlin has yet to earn a top-10 finish.

I also dislike Kyle Larson for whom Richmond is one of the more difficult tracks.

Even worse than Hamlin, Larson has suffered three races in a row where he failed to finish better than 29th.

My Guys

While I like Logano a lot more than Hamlin given the latter's awful racing form, my absolute favorite guy for this race is Martin Truex Jr.

Truex Jr's career numbers at this track are ugly. But they reflect his earlier struggles here and they belie his recent triumphs.

He is now a consistent force at Richmond where he has earned five top-five finishes and three wins in his last five tries.

For the above reasons, I recommend betting on Logano to finish ahead of Hamlin and Truex Jr. to finish ahead of Larson given the latter's poor form and lackluster history at Richmond.

Best Bet: Logano ahead of Hamlin at -115 & Truex Jr. ahead of Larson at -110 at Bovada

Based on history you should bet on Truex, Hamlin, and Bell this week.

I think the best way to bet this week may be to bet on boring but steady short-track guys at plus money if matched up against Hamlin, Bell, and maybe Truex.

I may look to bet on guys like Almirola, Dillon, and Blaney who are usually Top 10 to 15 at Richmond against some of the guys that are normally good at Richmond but have not performed well this year.

This is a good Truex and Hamlin track but the Toyotas have been crap. Bell has been a little better the last couple races.

Matchups that I am considering:

Logano -115 versus Hamlin (in VCs writeup)
Almirola - 115 versus Suarez
Bell -120 versus Briscoe
Almirola -115 versus Cindric
Dillon -105 versus Suarez

I bet 0.5 unit:

Dillon +100 versus Cindric (I will probably add more after practice and qualifying)

Think I'll just stay away from the Cup race this week. 1st short track race with the new car. Toyota has dominated Richmond, but I'm not ready to bet Hamlin and Truex yet.

Larson burned me last week. Not generally a good Hendrick track, but Bowman won last year.

Will the under 30 years old for age of the driver win streak continue?

I played one Xfinity already:

Allgaier -110 over Nemechek 1u

May add a few more after practice and qualifying.

Allgaier qualified 14th. Nemechek 2nd. Nemechek is in a good car but I'll still take my chances with JA.

The Toyotas looked good in qualifying as well as the Stewart Haas cars.
Yeah, I am still interested in Almirola, Bell, Blaney, and Dillon to a lesser degree.

I will not bet against Truex.

Maybe against Hamlin.

Cindric's car does not seem exactly right. He was the slowest of the big Ford cars. I will probably still fade him with Almirola and add to my Dillon bet if the odds do not move.

Larson and Chase did not look like real threats to win, so possible to fade them.

BAS still had their odds to win up so I threw 0.2 units on Almirola to win at +3300

For Xfinity:

1 unit:
Josh Berry -120 over Allmendinger (DK)

0.2 units:
Josh Berry to win @ +1200 (DK)

I may add once BAS or BM puts their odds back up.

For Xfinity:

1 unit:

0.2 units:

I fade Berry on road courses but short tracks are in his wheelhouse. That's a really good price. He was +650 earlier in the week.

For Xfinity:

1 unit:

0.2 units:

-1.4 units, I would make that bet again and will bet on Berry on short tracks again.

So the odds have really gotten away from me on the bets I was looking at and BAS did not put Dillon versus Cindric back up, I bet:

2.5 units:
Austin Dillon (0.5 unit bet +100 prior to practice and qualifying & 2 units -125) versus Cindric (BAS & DK)

2 units:
Almirola Top 10 -110 (DK)
Harvick -130 versus Briscoe (DK)
Harvick +110 & +100 versus Byron (BAS)
Bell -110 & -113 versus Byron (BM)
Truex -115 & -117 versus Larson (DK & BM)

1 unit:
Austin Dillon -125 versus Suarez
Bell +110 versus Blaney (DK)
Harvick +110 versus Blaney (BAS)
Logano -110 versus Hamlin (BM)
Truex -110 versus Blaney (BM)

0.5 units:
Almirola -155 versus Cindric (this moved from -115 before qualifying but I wanted to have something on it) (BAS)
Harvick Top Ford +400 (DK)

0.2 units:
Almirola +3300 to win

I am on Harvick, Truex, Dillon, Almirola, Bell, and to a lesser degree Logano
I am against Blaney, Byron, Cindric, Larson, Briscoe and to a lesser degree Suarez and Hamlin

It seems like a lot of people are on Blaney today and against me.

A lot also on Kyle Busch

Last edited:
Cindric to the rear. It is good for me that he is going to the rear, but they probably fixed whatever was wrong with his car.

So the odds have really gotten away from me on the bets I was looking at and BAS did not put Dillon versus Cindric back up, I bet:

2.5 units:
Austin Dillon (0.5 unit bet +100 prior to practice and qualifying & 2 units -125) versus Cindric (BAS & DK)

2 units:

1 unit:

0.5 units:
Almirola -155 versus Cindric (this moved from -115 before qualifying but I wanted to have something on it) (BAS)

0.2 units:
Almirola +3300 to win

I am on Harvick, Truex, Dillon, Almirola, Bell, and to a lesser degree Logano
I am against Blaney, Byron, Cindric, Larson, Briscoe and to a lesser degree Suarez and Hamlin
Added:

1 unit:
Bell -115 versus Briscoe (BAS)

Updated Bets:

2.5 units:

2 units:

1 unit:

0.5 units:

0.2 units:
Almirola +3300 to win

Added:

1 unit:

Updated Bets:

2.5 units:

2 units:

1 unit:

0.5 units:

0.2 units:
Almirola +3300 to win
Richmond:
Xfinity -1.4 units
Cup +9.2 units

Nascar Total (2022):
Xfinity +4.4 units
Cup +34.74 units
Both +39.14 units

I tailed on all your 2 and 2.5 unit DK plays today. Looks like I went 4-1. Great job. Thanks.
Yeah, if you did not bet the Almirola to finish in the Top 10 bet, you went 4-1. I went 4-2 on those bets.

Back