Top 5 pitchers in baseball

Greencastle

The Doc
If your team could call on any 5 pitchers in the league, who would you want in your rotation?

I'd say:

Roy Halladay
Carlos Zambrano
Felix Hernandez
Johan Santana
Brandon Webb

list looks good...except replace felix and roy with beckett and peavy. If you need a big game i'd want those 2 pitching

yea he isn't have as great a year.... but come playoff time in a game 7 who would you rather have felix or beckett? Being that clutch washes alot of sins

Peavy is a nice pitcher, but in that huge park and in the national league he has it kinda easy.

He has been known to struggle a bit on road vs good hitting teams like he did this year against the Yanks and Cubs.

Thought you meant this season...that's why the one guy up there said you can't put Beckett on the list.

So are we dating back to the start of baseball? Active or past? Dead, alive....currently... ?

Your list seems to favor the pitchers doing well this year...soo...with that, Cliff Lee belongs there...

More direction please ;)

Yes, I'd like to have more direction, too.

Best pitchers currently active? I'm gonna combine the 'proven commodities' with 'what has he done this year?' angle...

If that's the case...

Give me

Halladay
Peavy
Harden
Webb or Haren (I could make arguments for both, and Haren hasn't proven it over the long haul but when healthy, he's awesome)
Ben Sheets (?)

It gets tough for me after the first three.... lol....

Thought you meant this season...that's why the one guy up there said you can't put Beckett on the list.

So are we dating back to the start of baseball? Active or past? Dead, alive....currently... ?

Your list seems to favor the pitchers doing well this year...soo...with that, Cliff Lee belongs there...

More direction please ;)

Current pitchers that you would want on your roster today that you can build your team around for the future.

Cliff Lee is not a bad pick, but if I could go with any pitcher in the game, I'd would want somebody a little more proven.

:shake:

Current pitchers that you would want on your roster today that you can build your team around for the future.

Cliff Lee is not a bad pick, but if I had the choice to go with any pitcher in the game I would want somebody a little more proven.

I gotcha, that makes more sense. I like you and CKR's list for that criteria... :shake:

if you are looking for guys to build your team around for the future and basing it on potential along with ability, my list looks like this

Roy Halladay
Jake Peavy
Tim Lincecum
Dan Haren
Edinson Volquez

if you are looking for guys to build your team around for the future and basing it on potential along with ability, my list looks like this

Roy Halladay
Jake Peavy
Tim Lincecum
Dan Haren
Edinson Volquez

Very good point. This guy is only getting better and going to be a stud. That other guy is a stud too...Cueto. Well, he was earlier in the year.

i'm ammending my suggestion earlier. doc halladay has to be on this list. hard to come up with just 5 but based on the critera here is my official list....

peavy- probably my top pitcher when you account for stats,clutch,gamer
halladay- possibly the best pitcher this season plain and simple
webb- what he's done the last 3 years puts him on this list
santana- when he's on, maybe the nastiest stuff in all baseball
beckett (explanation above)

i'm ammending my suggestion earlier. doc halladay has to be on this list. hard to come up with just 5 but based on the critera here is my official list....

peavy- probably my top pitcher when you account for stats,clutch,gamer
halladay- possibly the best pitcher this season plain and simple
webb- what he's done the last 3 years puts him on this list
santana- when he's on, maybe the nastiest stuff in all baseball
beckett (explanation above)

Halladay was the only no brainer for me. I agree, he may be the best pitcher in the game this year.

Cliff Lee is not a bad pick, but if I could go with any pitcher in the game, I'd would want somebody a little more proven.

How sure are we Roy Halladay is going to be a top 3-5 pitcher 3 or 4 years from now. I really don't see too many good seasons left for him.

Roy is built like a horse and mentally is one of the sharpest pitchers in the baseball. He's not a big power/strikeout pitcher either, so his arm hasn't taken too much stress.

He's got plenty of good years left.

Wait, Nick...you have a point even though I hate Pap.

Castle....is this ROTATION or just best pitchers we'd want. LOL sorry to ask so many questions but I could go SO MANY diff ways on this...

Johan Santana
Josh Beckett
Brandon Webb
Roy Halladay
Scott Kazmir

yea just realized you said rotation...

hrm I'd have to go with another Lefty, so CC and Lackey instead of the relievers

I think Brandon Webb is the most overrated pitcher in baseball though. I dont even think I would put him in my top 10

Back