Top 5 catchers in MLB?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Just the best catchers in the game?

Is that a question? Now I'm really confused, because you sound confused in what you're after....lol.

The best catchers in the game will be a different list for many (not totally different, but a few of them for sure) than the best fantasy catchers.

If it's just best catchers in baseball, not for fantasy purposes (what it sounds like)...not really in a particular order (but Posey is probably #1)

Posey
Perez
Molina
Martin
McCann
Lucroy

Gomes
D'Arnaud
Ramos
Weiters

Last edited by a moderator:
Catcher is a tricky position to assess (under the non-fantasy perspective) because so much of the position and its importance comes from a catcher's ability to handle the running game and to handle his pitching staff. If you're talking about the most valuable catcher's no top 5 list is reasonable without including Yadi Molina...who is a terror on opposing runners and is in their head from the time they reach base. Posey all-around I agree is number one and Martin is interesting (and deserving top 5) because he handles staffs very well and pitchers really like working with him. So this may be the most interesting of all position assessments because defense and intangibles are almost (if not) more important than what they do with the bat.

i feel like yadi is on the decline. he was abysmal on offense last year. a case could be made for top 5, but I would choose others at this point.

i feel like yadi is on the decline. he was abysmal on offense last year. a case could be made for top 5, but I would choose others at this point.

He's on the decline for sure at the plate. But he's still the best commanding a staff and behind the dish. He's in my top 5 until he retires I think.

Mesoraco 2014:
25 HR's .893 OPS 147 OPS+

27 years old (PRIME AGE)

Catchers don't have these kind of seasons. Potential is there, if healthy no reason to think he can't repeat these numbers.

So these threads are for fantasy baseball purposes? I'm confused, Gabe. I thought before you said they weren't...that was the question that Lareux and I had for you in the threads.

Just want to clarify for everyone because the answers vary based on whether defense, intangibles, etc. are included or whether you're just looking to build a top fantasy draft prep sheet. Either is fine, just needs a bit of clarification.

I am asking who are the top 5 catchers in the game today? There shouldn't be a vast difference between both categories.

For example let's say there was a "REAL" draft and a "FANTASY" draft. Would your selections be that much different?

Maybe I am so stats oriented that it's almost the same for me.

there is a pretty big difference, esp at catcher. if it's fantasy, schwarber is probably #2 at worst.

there is a pretty big difference, esp at catcher. if it's fantasy, schwarber is probably #2 at worst.

Exactly. Cub is making the point I was trying to.

But if it's not a fantasy stats list and you have to consider how atrocious he is at throwing out runners and playing the position defensively, you can't put him at 2 if that's a major factor. But as far as his stick, he's absolutely a stud in the making.

Agree with those that say there is a big difference between fantasy and real life. Fantasy-wise Schwarber and d'Arnaud are legit top 5 options. In real life they are not, because of their defense or lack thereof.

Agree with those that say there is a big difference between fantasy and real life. Fantasy-wise Schwarber and d'Arnaud are legit top 5 options. In real life they are not, because of their defense or lack thereof.

Yes, exactly.

Mesoraco 2014:
25 HR's .893 OPS 147 OPS+

27 years old (PRIME AGE)

Catchers don't have these kind of seasons. Potential is there, if healthy no reason to think he can't repeat these numbers.

He did it for one year, and those only speak to his offense. There's no chance Mesoraco is considered a top 5 catcher in the league, he probably wouldn't crack many people's top 10 to be honest.

I am asking who are the top 5 catchers in the game today? There shouldn't be a vast difference between both categories.

For example let's say there was a "REAL" draft and a "FANTASY" draft. Would your selections be that much different?

Maybe I am so stats oriented that it's almost the same for me.

For this particular position, there is a much bigger difference between those 2 hypothetical drafts. It's not that pronounced at other positions, but there will still be differences at every position. Defense matters if we're talking best overall player, and with the catcher position the defense/calling a game/framing pitches/commanding a staff have a big impact on the list that someone would give whether it's fantasy or overall.

It's also not necessarily being "stats oriented," it's that you seem to be focusing solely on offensive stats...all the while asking who the best overall players are at each position.

Back