Tom O'Brien to NCSU

Wolfpack17

Treasurer of Fondy Fanclub
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>REPORT: Tom O'Brien to NC State </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
358628.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top>By James Henderson
Pack Pride
Posted Dec 6, 2006

According to NECN Television, Boston College head coach Tom O'Brien will be named the new head coach at NC State.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

NECN: Tom O'Brien Headed to NC State
"Sources close to Boston College football coach Tom O'Brien tell NECN that O'Brien has been offered and will accept the head coaching job at ACC rival North Carolina State. "This ends O'Brien's successful 10-year campaign as the Eagles' boss where he resurrected a troubled program and brought them back to respectability."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Anyone have any opinons on this feel free to share? He average 8 wins over the last 8 season...and won 6 straight bowl games...what do yall think?

He supposedly will not coach in bc's bowl game

Yep..I had heard earlier today but wanted to make sure I was positive before posting....What do yall think?

Thanks bro....good stuff...

I don't know about this hire...but I will say...NCST gets good players...as long as O'Brien can recruit down there to, he's probably what they need..

A straight shooter that demands respect..

9-3 this year and 8-4 last year..would take that over 3-9...he also is one fluke play against ncsu from playing in the acc championship game this year a

Not sure if this is a step up?

Anyway UNC will dominate that area for a loooonng time

Well, now NC ST can be assured of going 9-3, 8-4 every single year and teasing their fans with ideas that they are actually a top 5 team, while disappointing every year...

Oh, wait, that was my BC hate showing through again. Hopefully BC replaces him with Art Shell!

I know the penalties will be much improved..of course it cant get any worse with being last in the nation year after year personal foul after personal foul...we will see what he brings to the table...im sure he will have a very short leash...

Seabass said:
Well, now NC ST can be assured of going 9-3, 8-4 every single year and teasing their fans with ideas that they are actually a top 5 team, while disappointing every year...

Oh, wait, that was my BC hate showing through again. Hopefully BC replaces him with Art Shell!

Seabass,

Is that the reason BC was ready to get rid of him that he couldnt take them to the next level? BC has no fan base and that is why they get sent to crap bowls..If State was 9-3 this year we would be playing in the peach...

I never heard that they were about to get rid of O'Brien. As I view it, he was pretty good for their program-his players had SOME occasional discipline incidents, but nothing to really embarass the college (unlike BC Basketball).

You are absolutely right about BC not having a fan base. I'm not sure how often you watch them, but if you listen to how loud it gets in Alumni Stadium when BC scores, it is about the same as when their opponent scores. It is just unreal. The BC community likes going to games when it is convenient for them, but it isn't rabid up there at all (granted, the last time that campus got rabid, BC lost to FSU).

I don't think you should be too excited, but also not disappointed with this pickup. O'Brien is going to keep you as a good program, and if all works out, you might have a couple decent years. His teams are almost always prepared...

yeah..i would like for our teams to be prepared and cut back on penalties..i do not consider our program to be "good" right now..i need consistency and an 8 win avg right now would please me then i can start complaining..but im interested to see who he brings with him and what type of recruiter he is. i have looked at his recruiting rankings from the last 6 years or so and it seems he is in the top 50 to 60, but would like that to step up. he does win with the talent he gets and with i believe the #1 offense in the acc this year it is a step in the right direction

Absolutely a good hire for NCST imo. He's done a fine job at BC with little or no support from the administration and alumni and it obviously turned into a dead end job for him if he was willing to leave for NCST. I think he will be embraced in Raleigh and turn things around.

even w/ the King of Recruiting going to Chapel Hill, w/ both Carolina, UGA, and FLA, along w/ the Vick part of UVA...there's plenty of talent to go around....as long as he can still sell sweepers door to door in the South the same as up East...

I'm honestly amazed by his choice to go to Raleigh........

NCSU has been getting good talent recently, but I honestly think much of that is Chuck's florida mining....

Certainly the penalties will be better.

I'm seeing no downside for NCSU here....I'm just sitting here with my jaw scratching my belly...why would Obrien come to Raleigh....?

Is NCSU paying him 10 mil per year or something similarly stupid? Fanbase, okay, I get that...but geez.........

Really speaks to how shitty it is to coach up in BC. BC was lucky to have someone like O'brien. College Football is an afterthought in NE. Like Seabass said, there is no following for that team. They have one of the most non-existant home field advantages in college football. They have an old crappy stadium, and no one wants to show up when the weather gets bad. It really shows you how much they overacheived with O'brien. They are going to take a step back with whoever they end up with.

:smiley_acbe:

I appear to be in the minority here in saying that I think this is not a good hire for NCSU. They are only taking a small step forward here bringing in a guy who I think the game has passed by. OB is second only to Al Groh in the ACC in terms of overly conservative guys who get their team up at home, but consistently lose games to lesser opponents on the road. You saw it in that last Miami game; that team was unmotivated and had a terrible gameplan. This has become the norm for BC during the OB years, as they look good to start out and win a couple home games as underdogs, but then lose to NCSU, Wake, and Miami by simply getting outgameplanned.

Uncle Galtie does not approve of this hiring :down:

I think its an absolute steal for NCSU and probably not a real great decision by O'Brien. Score one for the NCSU AD whoever he/she is.

J Galt said:
I appear to be in the minority here in saying that I think this is not a good hire for NCSU.

Uncle Galtie does not approve of this hiring :down:

I understand that perspective, but who better could NC State possibly get?

Back