Toledo vs FIU Bahamas Bowl Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Panthers Will Look Golden Against Rockets in Bahamas Bowl

Bahamas Bowl: FIU (8-4 SU, 9-3 ATS) vs Toledo (7-5 SU, 6-6 ATS)

Friday, Dec. 21, 4 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Thomas Robinson Stadium, Nassau, Bahamas

NCAAF Pick: Golden Panthers ATS

With eight wins, FIU tied its program’s record for most wins in a single season. FIU is 1-2 SU and ATS in bowl games. Last year was its first bowl game under still current coach Butch Davis, a 28-3 loss as seven-point underdogs against Temple. Toledo has a richer bowl history, going 10-7 SU all-time in bowls and 2-3 ATS in its last five. Under current coach Jason Candle, the Rockets are 1-2 SU and ATS in bowl games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How They Got Here:

Toledo was fourth in the MAC West. It’s won and covered four of its past five games. It won those four games by at least 20 points while its loss likewise came by over 20 points. FIU is also enjoying a positive streak, having covered three in a row. The end of its season was disappointing though because its loss to Marshall prevented it from playing in the Conference-USA title game. The Golden Panthers finished third in conference standings.

Why The Rockets Win/Cover:

Toledo can run the ball well. The Rockets rank 18th in averaging 224 yards per game. Bryant Koback leads the team with 875 yards, 6.3 YPC, and 13 touchdowns. He’s accrued 216 yards in the past two games combined and was a big reason why Toledo scored over 50 points in those two games. In four games in which Koback ran for at least 90 yards, Toledo scored over 50 points every time. The Rockets won each of those games and covered three of four.

The Rockets can succeed on the ground against an FIU defensive line that ranks 115th in opportunity rate, which measures the frequency of opposing carries that accumulated at least four yards. In other words, FIU’s defensive line is easy to shove around. Toledo, whose offensive line ranks fourth in opportunity rate, can rely on its ground game.

Why The Golden Panthers Win/Cover:

FIU can pass at will. James Morgan used to play for Bowling Green. In 2016, he faced a Toledo pass defense that ranks very similarly to what it does now and that was led by the same coaching staff. In that game, he threw for over 300 yards and five touchdowns. Still, Morgan has grown a lot since then. He completes 65 percent of his passes, averages eight yards per attempt, and boasts a 26:7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. His top weapons are CJ Worton and Austin Maloney, both of whom have over 580 receiving yards. FIU is 4-2 ATS when Morgan doesn’t throw a pick.

Morgan can thrive against a Toledo secondary that has been relatively untested. It didn’t have to face the conference’s best quarterback, Nathan Rourke, or the second-best in terms of passer rating, Jon Wassink. Nevertheless, it only ranks 73 in opposing passer rating.

Common Opponent/Series History:

Both teams faced Miami and were never really competitive. Toledo still had its starting quarterback Mitchell Guadagni then, who is injured for the rest of the season. Koback mustered only 23 yards on the ground, although Guadagni still had a pretty good game. Toledo couldn’t stop Miami’s ground game, though, and lost 49-24. FIU was down 31-0 before vainly winning the fourth quarter 17-0. Miami proved too powerful for James Morgan and it gave FIU the same lethal dose of its ground game that it gave Toledo.

Final Verdict:

FIU will cover because it can supplement its offensive strength much more effectively than Toledo can. The Golden Panthers boast two different running backs who average over 5.5 YPC, Napoleon Maxwell and D’Vonte Price. The duo combined for 141 yards on only 17 carries against a Marshall team that ranks fourth nationally in opposing YPC. Toledo, like Marshall, will struggle to respect FIU’s balanced offensive attack. Toledo’s front seven definitely lacks the ability to hold its own against FIU’s ground game. The Rockets rank 112th in number of opposing rushes of at least four yards allowed.

Conversely, Toledo takes a big hit with the loss of Guadagni at quarterback. Guadagni’s passer rating is 31.5 higher than that of backup Eli Peters thanks to his superior completion percentage, yards per pass attempt, and touchdown-to-interception ratio. FIU’s secondary ranks top-50 in opposing passer rating and has picked off the seventh-most passes. It will keep Toledo one-dimensional.

I am required to write in this format for bowls. Bahamas Bowl was a sort of test pigeon for the new format, hence the early submission.

Not a fan at all of required templates because I value my ability to be creative. Oh well. Still think there's a lot of good info. Basically limited to 700ish words, which is probably less than I usually write, and certainly less than the Notre Dame articles where I write a lot cause I follow them so closely.

I feel formally obligated to take about a handful of fucking Xanax anytime this fucking bowl game gets mentioned.

I still am pissed off at the moose Central Michigan gave my 3 huge Western kentucky tickets and then went for 2 after the miracle ending to make sure they covered the spread.

:shootinggun::smashlaptop::smashlaptop::smashlaptop:

And I will never forget it was an early day Christmas Eve day because my aunt distinctly asked me why I was choking the fucking cat that kept jumping all over me at her house and the little fucker wouldn’t stop.

Ah, memories of holidays past and the almighty moose.

I remember when I wanted to choke a cat. I was tripping on acid and the acid was making everything echo in a vibrating sorta way so the cat‘s purring was driving me nuts in addition to the acid itself lol

Worst beat I have ever taken. I had already chalked the victory at half. Largest bet of that bowl season. Forced me into some creative money management the remaining bowl season.

This was nearly on page 4!

Go Panthers!

Both teams got embarrassed on bowl games last year so unlike so many other games, I would think both teams likely put alot into this game and hopefully we get a good game.

I just put in the +7.5 and it dropped to 7 right after. That always feels good to beat the move!

One thing with Toledo that I am always scared of when betting against them is they have good special teams that typically have an impact play in the game.

I feel formally obligated to take about a handful of fucking Xanax anytime this fucking bowl game gets mentioned.

I still am pissed off at the moose Central Michigan gave my 3 huge Western kentucky tickets and then went for 2 after the miracle ending to make sure they covered the spread.

:shootinggun::smashlaptop::smashlaptop::smashlaptop:

View attachment 36563

the worst part of this is not even the last play ... the entire lead up of the fourth quarter to that result was even more amazing. That is a bad beat that will never be defeated.
ugh. i remember this and EXACTLY where i was when they returned the kick

Last edited:
Yeah, I had Western Kentucky. We were driving on our way to a family Christmas party. I had left my house thinking this was a good bet by me, a comfortable win. I was happy. Then in the car I decided to check in on the radio and see what the final was. I heard the final couple minutes. Not a good experience and dangerous for other drivers on the road at that time! But if I can look at more objectively right now, that was one awesome finish!

Back