Todd Haley will coach the Chiefs

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Tough loss for the AZ staff.

Also, Boldin says his relationship with the Cardinals front office can't be repaired.

In a related story, Smokedawg just joined Habitat for Humanity in an effort to start construction on Boldin's new home in a Philly suburb.

hes barking about his relationship being irreconcilable with the cardinals...

hes at the pro bowl....

a certain fat stubborn motherfucker is coaching him in said pro bowl....

What's truly great about this is, other than you getting some exercise and helping out a transitioning family, is that if Boldin is available, it opens up the market on Housh.

Here's the truth which you and I (and most Birds fans) know. We're almost certainly not going to trade for Boldin or anybody. But we may spend money on Housh.

The odd thing is, however, it might actually be smarter to trade for Boldin even though you'd probably have to redo his deal. Because of what's going on as far as contracts with the O-line simply spending money on Housh or anybody might not be all that smart.

Either way, if either show up in Philly, I stick to my 24 per game statement.

yeah i hear ya...but i was reading some articles on Housh the other day (ill find em for you in a minute) that werent that appealing

something along the lines of his career YPC average is equal to James Thrash's worst year or something...

I would much rather have Boldin....but hes a Rosenhaus guy...we'll see

I was listening to the radio the other day and they said something I agree with...the WRs are ok if you get a stud TE...and the TE is ok if you get a stud WR....

Now they just need to get one or the other...personal preference ranking:

1. Boldin
2. Winslow
3. Gonzalaz
4. Housh

From the700level.com:

Just how desperate are Eagles fans to embrace change at the wide receiver position? Enough to accept the least productive receiver in the NFL? A large majority of supporters and experts agree the Eagles require a weaponry upgrade prior to the '09 campaign, however they once again enter the fray without a definitively viable alternative, unless you count yourself among those who feel T.J. Houshmandzadeh is the solution.

Housh appeared on Mike Missanelli's show yesterday afternoon and gave locals the chance to get to know the premiere free agent receiver and ultimately garnered the radio host's endorsement. Immediately following the interview, they went on to characterize Housh's '08 average of 9.8 yards per catch as not bad.

Except it was the worst in the NFL among starting wide receivers.

True, he played last season with a backup QB. Unfortunately for Housh though, this was the second year in a row.

The wide receiver had nothing but positive things to say about the Eagles and the city of Philadelphia. He is favorable to playing here, is willing to accept warranted criticisms of his play on the field, and is impressed with McNabb's ability to win with the likes of Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. Join the club.

However the standards he is expected to meet are on the football field, and little in his career points to answers for the Eagles. He is a 32-year-old, 6'1" (maybe) possession receiver whose career average YPC is precisely the same as James Thrash's all-time single season low. This is the playmaker the offense has been waiting for?

Besides the distinct possibility of adding an overrated veteran to a stagnating offense, the front office must consider the financial ramifications of such a signing. Last season's top free agent WR, Bernard Berrian, received a six year deal worth $42 million, $16 guaranteed. As a blueprint for Housh's contract, it suggests $8 to $9 mil per year and at least $20 guaranteed. Do those numbers even come close to matching the estimated impact?

And finally, how much has playing across from Chad Johnson affected Houshmandzadeh? Were his best days entirely the result of more aggressive coverage across the field? Has he acquired a poor attitude while playing in a me-first, losing environment?

I'd place the odds of the Eagles signing the Bengals receiver rather low anyway. He's an older player who has done little to showcase himself as the kind of weapon that can truly alter a defense's gameplan. As far as upgrades go, it couldn't hurt to have him in the fold, but it's at least questionable just how much this addition would actually improve the passing game.

I love how a thread about the Chiefs turns into a thread about the Eagles.

Which, of course, is how it should be.

I love Winslow, but I'm not sure he's going anywhere and frankly I have questions about his durability.

I actually think we could get a TE in the draft. There are a couple of good ones out there and I think just as your list illustrates, you need some speed at that position.

The reason I like Housh--and I am actually with you in that I'd rather have Boldin, but if Dallas set the market at a 1, 3, & 5, we'll never get him--is that I think he has some speed, runs good routes, and has good hands. That's all we need right now. If we have Housh, Curtis, and Jackson, I am fine with our WR corps because we have Avant coming off the bench and he's proving to be a good safety valve that Donovan trusts. That's four guys who can either make plays or will have chances at plays.

I also like Brent 'Tom' Celek. Obviously the guy's not a top tier TE, he's kind of a poor man's Kevin Boss, but I can live with him if we upgrade on the outside.

Conversely, if we could draft a TE stud, I also agree with you, it would improve our WR corps by extension. Just like when LJ Smith first came in. With LJ and Chad Lewis out there, it almost seemed like we had good receivers.

if arizona thinks theyre getting a 1, a 3 and a 5 for Boldin theyre dreaming

just because Jerry Jones is a fucking moron, doesnt mean everyone else in the league is

hopefully...

it does worry me that the Giants have a glaring need at WR (assuming Plax goes to jail...which he should...apparently its like a 95% conviction rate on whatever he was charged with)

Plex should go to jail, but he won't. You and I know how the system works.

If he's smart he'll cop a plea and do a month or two right now in the offseason and be on probation for the next three years with community service.

Whether or not he'll be back with the Giants, though, is still a question to me no matter how much Brandon Jacobs says he wants the guy back.

In a story related to the original topic, part of me thinks this hiring of Haley takes Gonzo off the market anyway and he stays in KC.

Frankly I don't really want Gonzo. Unless we're playing for a SB in one of the next two seasons only, simply because I think he's getting up there. I'd personally like to see this team build for a longer run at multiple trips. The defense is building out that way, Desean is really young, Curtis has years left, Donovan's in his prime even though people think he's over the hill.

yeah i hear ya....but i think the shelf life on dawkins is one, maybe 2 years...

and really what about westbrook? peter king doesnt think he'll ever return to 2007 form...so maybe 2 to 3 years left for him?

Gonzo is still a stud...look at his numbers this year on that shitty team

I do think Gonzo goes out like Chad Lewis, basically a stud right until the end. So he does have that.

I also agree, I think B-Dawk is good for two, maybe three more--it's one reason I keep hoping they'll draft a stud replacement so Dawk can teach him some things on his way out the door.

Westbrook is sort of an enigma to me. He always seems to get dinged up, but always seems to come back fine. I think he's got a good three more years in him, but I too worry about his health.

But I do think this window could be bigger than folks think if it's handled right.

For me, honestly, right now I'm worried about what the hell they're going to do on the O-line with the contracts of Runyan and the rest. Because if that comes apart we're looking at a seven win team again.

the one guy i think they will go out and spend a ton of money on if he hits the FA market is Jordon Gross

But i dont see carolina letting him go

Yeah, he might leave, but he ain't comin' to Philly.

You and I know what they need to do. Find a way to get Boldin out of AZ, draft O-line, a TE with speed, and a replacement for B-Dawk and/or more DL/LB depth.

Oh, finding a real FB wouldn't hurt either.

Do that and I think we're in business.

damn Hailey to the Chiefs

McDaniel to the Donkos

some damn good OC's

but the Cable man still gonna win the afc west

I have discussed this numerous times with my friends who agree that the eagles need a WR, I think the opposite.....think about this scenerio. The eagles resing Runyan, move Andrews (I know huge question mark) to the othe tackle and then draft one of the big tackles in the draft and grrom him for two years down the line to take Runyan's spot. With the other first rounder take the TE from Oklahoma State, then find a way to trade some of your picks to maybe move up in teh second and go after a Shon Greene or Lesean McCoy. there you go you have solved so many issue, you got a good TE who can do it all, a future stud tackle and a RB to go along with the aging B-West. This TE can make the WR's instantly better and I dont personally think that a combo of Curtis, Jackson, and Avant/baskett/et al is that horrendous.

Well, releasing and replacing Runyan may now be a foregone conclusion now as his knee surgery has turned into microfracture surgery with an almost six month recovery process.

At his age, he may never be back to what he was with this surgery. But he's as competitive as anyone in the league so it's tough to bet against him.

I'm like the idea of replenishing O-line in the draft and drafting a stud TE--if that guy's truly there. I'm not sure someone like Shonn Greene will be around long enough, though, for the Eagles to take that lineman, that TE, and him, too.

I didnt see that microfracture thing about runyan until last night. I guess that is really not an option then. I guess you could now trade that 1 and lito and a late round pick for a WR or something, also i would hope they now consider going after someone like Jordan Cross. The o-line is a huge concern right now.

I don't think Gross ever gets to free agency.

I think they'll draft O-line with their one and then again deeper in the draft. They do have a real choice, though, if they wanted to trade that other one and say a three or a four for Boldin--which, by the way, Arizona would be stupid not to take.

Oddly enough, I think Runyan comes back. I don't think his financial options are that many because of the surgery and I think the Eagles know he'll work his *ss off to get back. When that guy says it's not over for him, based on how many consecutive games he's played, and how much pain he's played through, I believe him.

Back