Titans Win Total Betting Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Back Titans to Exceed Win Total

Oddsmakers set the season win total for Tennessee at 8.5. The Titans have the weapons and playmakers on both sides of the ball to win at least 9 games and possibly even the AFC South.

Quarterback

The Titans' hopes rest above all on the leadership and prolific athletic ability of its dual-threat quarterback Marcus Mariota. Mariota suffered a leg injury last December but the budding superstar is running and passing as if he had never been injured.

Running back

The Titans had the third-best rushing attack last season. Demarco Murray led the AFC in rushing yards. Former Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry, who dropped to a second round pick, was a gift for the Titans. He was undervalued on draft day because of his build. Most scouts thought that his only positive was size, and even that wasn't going to be such a positive, because of his long legs, which should make him easier to tackle. But Henry was impressive as Murray's backup. He did show the ability to burst laterally and be elusive. He was in general not so easy to tackle. He was also surprisingly effective in pass blocking and pass catching. The Titans love to run the ball and have perhaps the best rushing attack, including the mobile Mariota, in the league.

Wide Receivers

The Titans rebuilt their receiving corps, meaning that Mariota will need time to develop chemistry with his new and generally inexperienced weapons. The Titans really like Corey Davis, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted a player from the MAC conference who, due to ankle injuries, wasn't even able to work out with the team. Davis was a consistent performer in college. He was a deep threat who used his technical abilities as a pass-catcher to abuse opposing defensive backs. He has a second gear in terms of running ability and is constantly improving as a route runner. He does drop some passes and struggle at times with shorter routes, but he has significant potential. The Titans also signed veteran Eric Decker who, unlike Davis, does excel in the short passing game with his route-running and big-play ability, wracks up impressive numbers even when Jets quarterbacks are throwing him the ball. Him and elite Tight End Delanie Walker, whose size and speed makes him a mismatch for just about any defender, will presumably be Mariota's go-to guys.

Offensive Line

The Titans allowed the seventh-fewest amount of sacks last season. All of their offensive linemen are highly ranked, except for their guards who are above average. The Titans arguably have one of the strongest lines in the NFL, and this group of guys keeps growing in experience and chemistry.

Defensive Line

The Titans' defensive line is probably its strongest asset on defense. It doesn't have that one elite superstar, but Jurrell Casey has been to two straight pro bowls especially for his versatility. He is stout enough to stop the run but also quick enough to get to the quarterback. Behind him, the Titans have a lot of quality depth, created in particular by the signing of Sylvester Williams from the Broncos. He is one of the better defensive linemen who is effective at penetrating even higher-quality offensive lines and hindering gaps from forming in the line.

Linebackers

Although the linebacking corps lacks some depth, the defensive line benefits from the attention that its two star sack-machines at linebacker get: Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan. Orakpo and Morgan are two elite edge rushers who are excellent at applying pressure to the quarterback. Orakpo was named to the Pro Bowl last season especially because he achieved 10.5 sacks last season.

Secondary

The Titans' pass defense was what the Titans most needed to improve and that improvement has arrived. They signed Logan Ryan who played a meaningful role in the Patriots' Super Bowl run last season. Former Jaguar Jonathan Cyprien adds veteran experience. Talented youth is developing as well. The Titans signed Adoree Jackson in the First Round. He is relatively small and vulnerable to lapses in coverage. But his athleticism in the form of impressive speed and footwork allows him to recover from those lapses. Him and second-year safety Kevin Byard, who possesses good play recognition but was criticized on draft day for struggling in space against more elusive receivers, should progress into respectable additions to the Titans secondary. Byard surprised critics as a rookie particularly with his tackling abilities and will show Jackson the ropes.

The Verdict

The Titans are a monstrously improved team that already has a lot of weapons and depth in different key positions. As long as Mariota stays healthy, the Titans will have a high-level play-maker who is poised to lead this team to become division champions. He will get support from a top-notch rushing attack and offensive line and a wide receiving corps that mixes young, high-potential talent in Davis and proven experience in Walker and Decker. The Titans' defensive line is stabilized by a lot of experience and quality and helped by two linebackers in Orakpo and Morgan who excel at applying pressure to the quarterback. While the secondary still presents a bit of a question mark at the least because a lot of new players will be playing in a system that is new to them, the pass defense will no doubt be much improved.

Titans 'Over' 8.5 Wins

Tennessee coach Mularjey has no business coaching in the NFL.

The way they lost the 49 we game was ridiculous.

Straight out of the Jeff fisher playbook he pussies out and runs it on 3rd and 2 right in the middle of a huge pile to kick a fgoal with1 minute left.

You knew they left garroolo 1 minute and within 3 WIDE OPEN PASSES they are in fgoal range to kick the gane winner.

Tennessee blew the draft this season selecting Corey Davis and Adore Jackson.

This team has a pathetic defense that needed some Tone setters and defensive backs

I always thought with the 5 th and 18 th picks that Tennessee should have selected Jamal Adams and Tradaveoys white to secure their defense.

Davis and Adore were not good selections. This team would be much better on defense with Adams and white locking down the secondary.

That 3rd and 2 run up the middle by Murray was the product of the head coach being afraid to put the ball in his supposed franchise QBs hands to win the game. A first down and you’re looking at a potential GW fg w no time left instead of a go ahead fg w 1 min left. Ideally on that play you give Mariota an RPO, get him on the edge, let him make the play, but his HC has lost all faith in him to make the right read and decision so he runs it, right into th SF defense. Let’s not forget, as good a kicker as Succop is, he’s not great from 50+, believe he was 1/4 this year before that kick. Granted he was clutch and made the kick, but the defense couldn’t hold it. The d hasn’t been bad, it’s given up w lot of FGs of late but kept teams out of the end zone for the most part, but 1 blown coverage and SF was basically in FG range. I was adamant against drafting Davis at 5, never been a believer of drafting a WR so high, the 3 picked early this year have done next to nothing. He might end up being a player, just not this year. That all being said, the titans are a very very good home team and I fully expect them to give probably their best effort to date at home vs the rams on Sunday. It’s almost a must win game, and I think they slow down Gurley and make enough plays on offense to wear down the Ram d and get a win.

I just don't want to have to root for them when they play my Jaguars. Rams look so hard to beat, their two losses since their bye week have been against top NFC teams Minny and Eagles.

I just don't want to have to root for them when they play my Jaguars. Rams look so hard to beat, their two losses since their bye week have been against top NFC teams Minny and Eagles.

Rams look good no doubt, but it’s a huge letdown spot for them and I expect to titans 3rd ranked run d to make them fairly one dimensional. Our secondary has been suspect at times but I think Byard has a huge game coming off his worst one of the year and the pro bowl snub. I was really hoping week 17 jags/titans would be for the division but that looks moot now unless jimmy g continues his magic.

I don't get why Mariota didn't throw to Walker (?) going to the left on 4th down but instead went right to nobody. Such nonsense. Fucking Titans supposed to be good at home, but Rams also sick on road crushing @ Seattle and Jax too

So if Jags win they're #3 seed, if Jags lose they're #3 seed. Zero reason to be motivated and beat Tennessee. They'll let Tennessee win I think. Titans will show their cards, Jags will hide theirs (meh their division rivals, not so much to hide anyways) and get their revenge for Week 2 in Wildcard Round.

I think jags will show up and play hard next week. Tenn embarrassed them earlier this year, and I think the jags would love to kick tenn out of the playoffs. Not sure how tenn gets up off the deck after 3 straight losses. They fought today but emotionally gotta be shot.

My problem with that scenario is that even if Titans lose they still get the six seed (right?) so why would Jags put themselves at a disadvantage for the wildcard round by trying hard and showing cards when it matters less for them?

My problem with that scenario is that even if Titans lose they still get the six seed (right?) so why would Jags put themselves at a disadvantage for the wildcard round by trying hard and showing cards when it matters less for them?

If the titans lose they won’t get in. They would need sd to lose, Buffalo to lose, Bengals to beat ravens I think. Tenn has to win to guarantee being in. I don’t think there is much card showing here anyways. These teams know each other being divisional opponents and seeing each other twice a year. I also can’t see jags taking the game off after that niners loss, something to be said about going into playoffs w momentum and not sure they want to drop 2 straight and hope to just turn it back on come playoffs.

Valid points for sure. I wonder what the odds on this game will be and why they haven't come out yet. Gotta be uncertainty as to Jags' starting lineup

I don’t expect Pitt to lose today, but strange things happen on this league. They will wait till later in week until they know who is playing and sitting until posting a line. I’m assuming for titans Murray will be out.

I think Titans +3.5? if that's true...wow...that'd just be begging for Titans money

Last edited:
Wooohooo Titans opened at -6

Looks like Jags want to use this as a bye week.

No way in hell Titans don't win this

I'm celebrating 9 wins now

Considering how poor the Titans have looked lately I feel like -6 may be an overreaction. Maybe oddsmakers want people to think Titans will win automatically, being at home and needing the win, by making the line so high. I feel like this happened with UNC vs Pitt. Jags backups will play hard and its not like no starter will see the field on defense.

My Titans friend (somehow we get along...) suspects Mariota's leg is still bothering him. What do you think?

That line, just wow. I don’t think I’d comfortably take tenn -6 vs a hs team right now. They play so many close games. I don’t think Mariota has been right all year. He’s def not running or moving out of the pocket like he normally does. Partially by design, but largely bc they don’t want him injuring the leg worse. If he even runs it’s to get a few yards, not chunk plays like years past.

That all being said. I still think the jags are making a mistake here. Last thing you want to do is give tenn confidence. They already thumped the jags once this year, what if Marcus gets rolling in this game and you then get a qb coming off a good outing and a team full of confidence bc they’ve wiped the field w you twice this year?

I get the thinking but I just don't get the alternative. Why put in the effort for a game that will bring them nothing now that Steelers have won? I just don't get how they could really be motivated with the playoffs looming and the chance then to avenge the week 2 loss. It would be irresponsible to try and risk injury as opposed to giving starters a bye week. Also let INT-machine Blake gather himself. Receivers especially need to recover from injury. Let defense be fresh as well. After our bye week we dominated 23-7 so rest pays. I do worry about a repeat of 1999.

I get the thinking but I just don't get the alternative. Why put in the effort for a game that will bring them nothing now that Steelers have won? I just don't get how they could really be motivated with the playoffs looming and the chance then to avenge the week 2 loss. It would be irresponsible to try and risk injury as opposed to giving starters a bye week. Also let INT-machine Blake gather himself. Receivers especially need to recover from injury. Let defense be fresh as well. After our bye week we dominated 23-7 so rest pays. I do worry about a repeat of 1999.

I agree 100% if they got guys who are dinged and wanting them to get healthy, but you don’t want to let a wounded animal survive. Tenn knows jags in and out, a wild card game between those two is no gimme.

It’s always a tough call. I hear you about not wanting to risk injury, but it’s just the mindset of tanking the game, not sure that’s the mentality you want going into the playoffs.

That's why I like backups playing. Backups will play hard. They won't want to tank. They can look at it as a chance of proving themselves. Especially Henne. But the way that the Titans have been playing, and because Jags know Titans in and out as well, I think Jags want them at home more than any of the other wildcard candidates besides Buffalo.

Meh Titans two losses on west coast (where Jags lost as well) and a cover at home vs Rams, who are really good on the road. Maybe people are overreacting to Titans' woes a bit.

I still think if tenn gets in it’s a dangerous matchup for Jax. Even tho we didn’t show it on Sunday we have a good run d, and still have a good OL and Henry.

Yeah, it’s not just those 3 losses, they’ve been struggling even in their wins. Not in sync. If the d plays well the o can’t move the ball, if they move it and put points up the d can’t hold it. Even their wins against clev, Cincy, Houston,Balt, Indy all those came down to wire. Their best games were at jags and home vs Seattle

You think Titans were extra motivated in Week 2 to get revenge for end of last season? Players seemed to have denied it but not sure I believe them

Back