Week 1 results:
ulm/tulsa over 47 WIN
temple +21.5 WIN
Virginia -3.5 Loser
missouri -3.5 WIN
troy +25 (.95 units) WIN
Houston +17 (.95 units) LOSER
fsu - 1.5 LOSER
smu +11.5 LOSER ( WHOOPS A TAD OFF HERE)

week 2 card

oregon state -3 (CRIS) LOSER
colorado +14.5 (CRIS) LOSER
oklahoma state -23 (CRIS) WINNER
mizzu -6 (CRIS) WINNER
utah state +24 (CRIS) WINNER
Temple -3 ( CRIS) LOSER

strong leans

michigan -6 ELIMINATED SEPT3
fresno state +17 ELIMINATED SEPT7
texas -9 ELIMINATED SEPT3

talk me off leans

baylor -6 ELIMINATED SEPT 4
washington +4.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 5
e michigan +5.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 7
kent + 15 ELIMINATED SEPT 3
penn state -13.5 ELIMINATED SEPT 5
cuse +23 ELIMINATED SEPT 5
unlv +27 ELIMINATED SEPT 3
WVU -24 BECAME A SMALL LEAN SEPT 3 ELIMINATED SEPT 7

Last edited:
GL on your plays. Utah St might be my fav play of the week....that line seems way too high to me

by power rankings alone it is way off. it is a bad matchup to some extent but is still too high. i agree with you.

GL this week VK - I knew once I saw that Oregon St. line that you would be on it. :smiley_acbe:

On Temple with you. Also like Fresno and EMU, though I thought we would be getting more points there. Be back later tonight to really dig into these games.

dmoney - the oregon state line is somewhat confusing to me. it is my favorite play though i didnt put an extra 5 percent on it. outside of qb i cant find where cincy is better. shrug.

temple basically played even with navy ( maybe slightly less than even) in their first game and this time ALL the fans at the stadium will be temple folks. front seven should be drooling at sight of buffalo after defending the option last week. also always good for teams that play navy to have the extra few days to recover from grueling physical games like that.

okie state is going to lay the hammer down this week. i promise that they score in the forties. i PROMISE.

the colorado bet is a pure value bet. the line is skewed due to colorado past performance the last couple of years and ASU incredible performance. i made it a 10 , so getting past the 10 , the 11 the 13 and the 14 made this huge value in my mind. i like asu to win the game.

utah state is a total over reaction to one week of football. power ranking line is way off on this game and if you want to trust wyoming offense to cover a spread like this then you have bigger balls than i do.

missouri is another game where i made the line a 10. see second half of memphis game to get an idea of some of my thoughts here. without looking at matchups specifically i make illinois a 5 point favorite on neutral site over mississippi and the matchup is even better for missouri than illinois was. i am confident missouri can score on anyone... mississippi .. not so much. i would actually be shocked if mississippi won straight up and that makes the number look juicy too.

I like Missouri a lot. First, Ole Piss was very fortunate to come out with a win. Memphis QB straight up shit their chances away in the 1st half with that INT return for a TD. Second, the Memphis QB carved up Ole Piss secondary for 350yards, I am sure Chase Daniels can do that as well. I think this is at least a 10+ point win for Missouri

Are the michigan and texas lines over reactions ?????

i mean if you watched the baylor/tcu game ... they struggled to move the ball at all on baylor. is the stud dl playing ???

also ... houston went into oregon and outplayed them in my opinion and now they travel to the big house to play a game against the team that might be angriest in all of college football. tough spot for oregon ... too bad .. i was hoping it would be the other way around. thought houston could give oregon enough trouble to keep the score close ( as i said above i think they actually outplayed the ducks on sat) and of course thought michigan would crush appy state. then i was thinking i could get value on oregon. but instead oregon wins by VERY deceiving score and michigan lays biggest egg maybe in cfb history. the line reflects those things. reluctant because oregon can score and score fast and the backdoor cover is an option for them even if the "real" michigan does show up. if last saturday was the real michigan then oregon will crush them. the other thing i dont like about the michigan side is ..... bellotti vs carr.

is TAMU strong enough offensively to lay these kind of numbers vs a team that i have power ranked at 50th in nation ? both teams run a lot and that makes it harder to cover these numbers , especially since i think fresno can score on them. at miami also lingers in tamu future the following week.

thoughts on my strong leans ?

good input ettg. agree with your thoughts and how you saw the miss/mem game. also .. as strange as it seems .... the game vs memphis is a BIGGER game for mississippi than missouri is ( due to rivalry and due to recruiting wars).

nice number cb. do you think that line moves off the 17 ? am i under pressure to decide now ???

Note sure VK..It is up to 17.5 at 5dimes now, but still 17 everywhere else I look. The Greek must have got a big bite on A&M to be the lone wolf who has it at 18.

Are the michigan and texas lines over reactions ?????

i mean if you watched the baylor/tcu game ... they struggled to move the ball at all on baylor. is the stud dl playing ???

also ... houston went into oregon and outplayed them in my opinion and now they travel to the big house to play a game against the team that might be angriest in all of college football. tough spot for oregon ... too bad .. i was hoping it would be the other way around. thought houston could give oregon enough trouble to keep the score close ( as i said above i think they actually outplayed the ducks on sat) and of course thought michigan would crush appy state. then i was thinking i could get value on oregon. but instead oregon wins by VERY deceiving score and michigan lays biggest egg maybe in cfb history. the line reflects those things. reluctant because oregon can score and score fast and the backdoor cover is an option for them even if the "real" michigan does show up. if last saturday was the real michigan then oregon will crush them. the other thing i dont like about the michigan side is ..... bellotti vs carr.

is TAMU strong enough offensively to lay these kind of numbers vs a team that i have power ranked at 50th in nation ? both teams run a lot and that makes it harder to cover these numbers , especially since i think fresno can score on them. at miami also lingers in tamu future the following week.

thoughts on my strong leans ?

I am actually staying far away from the Oregon and TCU plays even though it seems like the entire board already has those two locked in for the week. I can completely understand the plays from purely a value perspective, but I just don't like spots like this with a team eager to prove they are better than what was demonstrated last time out. With that said, no way I would play the other side in either as I am not convinced that either of these two are indeed better than what I saw in week 1. I will wait till week 3 to begin to form my opinion on both Texas and UM.

the old .... believing your lying eyes trick. maybe i should lay off those two games too. but if michigan was 6 3 days ago i would have pounded it without blinking and then bragged to the world that i held such a valuable ticket. a lot can happen in three days though ..... sorry lloyd.

eliminated texas and michigan from my strong leans. tough when i ahve to decide between all my offseason work and my lying eyes.

also eliminated kent and unlv from my talk me off leans.

added wv to my talk me off leans list .. it is growing on me.

ok first writeup of week2. miniaturized these writeups a bit but am willing to answer any questions about probable gameplans , specific matchups or talent levels etc etc etc if anyone asks.

The matchup : Missouri at Mississippi

Last year: Mississippi 7 Missouri 34 at columbia, mo

Missouri dominated this game a year ago. They rushed for over 200 and passed for over 250, dominating the rebels from start to finish. They averaged over 5 a carry on offense while holding ole MISS to under 3 a carry. Daniel was 25 of 41 while the MISS qb was 13-29. Missouri outgained Mississippi by roughly 300 yards. Mississippi fell behind early and that limited their gameplan somewhat and were forced to throw more than they would like with bad qb schaeffer. Total domination.

Missouri offense vs. Mississippi defense

This is a nightmare for Mississippi. The ol of Missouri did a decent job of protecting Daniel last week vs. Illinois and I have Illinois defensive line ranked in my top 25 of that unit ranking. The DL of Mississippi is actually pretty good but given Missouri ‘s performance last week, the tigers should be able to give daniel plenty of time to throw. When he does throw he will be seeing a lot of open nfl caliber tight ends. With a very strong line backing unit a year ago led by Patrick Willis the tigers were still able to achieve mismatches with the tightends vs. the linebackers. Willis is gone and the linebackers are the biggest weakness on the Mississippi defensive side of the ball. The secondary of Mississippi got torched by the spread attack of Memphis last week and qb hankins. Hankins threw for 343 yards and connected on 41 of 60 passes. No offense to Memphis folks but Daniel and company are a better group. The Memphis offense gained 467 yards and 30 first downs vs. the Mississippi defense. They scored only 21 but were victims of 5 turnovers and a blocked punt. In short Memphis was fairly dominant vs. the Mississippi defense. Daniel should have similar results. As I have stated before about this Missouri team , we know what we are going to get from them offensively … a lot of points consistently week in and week out.

Mississippi offense vs. Missouri defense

Mississippi did not look spectacular in their 23-21 victory over Memphis this past week. They started off the game well driving 92 yards for what would be their only offensive TD of the game. Let me state that again .. Playing Memphis , Mississippi did not score an offensive td following Memphis’ first defensive possession of the season. The rebels had just three decent drives in the game … the 92 yarder mentioned above, a 13 play 71 yard drive that ended on downs at the Memphis 20 and a 13 play 52 yard drive that resulted in a missed field goal. The only other offensive points that the rebels were able to garner was a field goal after a 9 yard drive that started deep in Memphis territory following an interception of Memphis. Mississipi’s other points in this game came from a blocked punt for TD and a 99 yard int return for a td. After the initial drive they managed just 183 total yards of offense and were 1 of 7 on third down conversions from the second quarter on. Missouri’s defense is not a bone crusher for sure but is certainly on par with what the Memphis tigers bring to the table. The rebels averaged under 3 yards a carry last week and they are going to have to throw to keep up with mizzu. Qb seth adams, while adequate and improving is too inexperienced to count on for that. Illinois last week was able to effectively throw the ball due to pretty good protection provided by a top 20 offensive line and decent athletes at the wr positions. Outside of oher for the rebels the ol looks questionable to me.

How I see the game and why I bet Missouri -6

Not trying to beat a dead horse but Missouri can score on anyone and I have ample reason to believe that they can score on Mississippi. They scored on them at will a year ago, Memphis spread type attack moved the ball very well on them last week and Missouri is loaded at virtually every offensive position with experience and talent. Missouri has the tight end weapons that can exploit the Mississippi line backing weakness and a veteran junior qb who will not be rattled on the road visiting an sec opponent. One would have to assume that Missouri scores over thirty points in this game a high percentage of the time. That is the rub … Mississippi never scores over 30. They have not scored over 28 points in their last 28 games. How do they keep up ? If they fall behind early they have to rely on seth adams to complete passes consistently and win them a game late. They didn’t show they were capable of this in his first start.
Final score : Missouri 36 Mississippi 20

Reasons of concern:
-Missouri is a terrible road favorite and Mississippi was 3-0 vs. the spread as a home dog last year
-pinkel vs. orgeron is a major coaching mismatch in favor of the rebels
-Mississippi at the end of last year showed the ability to compete with top notch sec opponents

Lookin good VK, glad to be on a side with you this week. Your write-up is definitely alot more detailed and convincing than mine, but they both pretty much say Mizzou should dominate most aspects of the game

vk... i see the Missouri game the exact same way as you, nice writeup..

Curious why you eliminate Baylor.. From what I gather, Rice was really bad in the opener

VK- I do not post hardly ever, but I have been doin' this for some time. I'm mostly a situational and trend better. The trend is a Mizzou fade. In the last 10 years, the Tigers are 0-6 if their second game is on the road. Not a strong argument, I agree....But check out this one. Missouri on the road after a straight-up win for the first time in a season is 0-10 in last ten years.

I watch the UM/IU game and agree the Tigers can score, but so could the Illini with a second string quarterback. Missouri back doored that cover with Juice going out very early.

The game is a no bet for me.

Gl and Peace.

yup there are several trends that look bad for missouri in this spot. my take on it ( and i am less of a trend player than most prolly, i am a matchup guy) though is this is a different level of missouri team than what they have had most of the last decade. also , i think the juice williams injury hurt the tiger side of the bet last week. did illinois score an offensive point with juice on the field ???? they had the blocked punt but i think he got injured without leading them on a scoring drive. the mcgee kid looked better to me. with that said , i stated in another post i thought the illinois side was probably the better side of the game last week. i think most folks would agree with me that illinois is a bit better than ole miss though. there are some other trends on the mississippi side that favor them as well. like i said, i am not really a trend player as i dont think a tyler palkos performance in a given game relates heavily to how dan marino did in that game two decades earlier but i know a lot of folks make money following trends. i am somewhat of a math guy so i understand statistical significance but it just isnt my style. the fundamentals of my capping say mizz is the play .... hope i break these trends ... and i hope i break my trend of going .500 last week.

If Juice Williams was still in the game when IL was down 37 to 13, Mizzu would have probably gotten a defensive score or two. The fact of the matter is they prepared for a mobile QB and got a drop back passer instead. At that point, the coverage packages and blitz packages they had installed all off-season became ill-designed.

I love Mizzu and Ok State here as well.

TexasFight:cheers: <----- but only 8oz coronas. just kidding. Agree with your thoughts on illinois come from behind issues if it was juice throwing the ball.

renew- not something i was necessarily hoping to do but have to take value where i think it exists. gonna be hard to find this game on tv i think.

Curious why you eliminate Baylor.. From what I gather, Rice was really bad in the opener

This was my original thought as well. I watched most of the baylor/tcu game and baylor was actually more competitive than the final score indicated. But i think you can point to a lot of factors for that. tcu was in a definite lookahead spot and played vanilla offensively either because they could afford to or because they lack weapons and firepower. baylor moved the ball some on tcu which was a little bit impressive but TCU played without their best DL blake ( illness ??? drug test avoidance ?? whatever). The score in the game was a deceiving score. All in all a decent game for Baylor and then they get rice next who just lost to friggin nicholls state. I immediately targeted this game as a spot i thought i could bet baylor. i was hoping for a -4. since i saw the tcu game i didnt really need to examine the box that much other than to verify that what i saw happening was actually what was happening. so then i looked at the nicholls state game. rice lost to nicholls state .. pathetic. the box score .. also pathetic. But you have to look past the box score somewhat in that game. the game was played in a downpour at rice stadium. there were several delays due to lightning and offensively moving the ball was a nightmare. a very bad situation for a team learning new schemes under a new head coach that thrives on getting the ball to their best player who is a wideout. they should still beat nicholls state obviously but you can no longer give the box score the same credence as a normal one as it was a "weather game". Rice could not take advantage of WR dillard in this one. Then the line came out -6 which was higher than my power rating number slightly and probably a product of baylor and rice performances in week 1. I still had a lean to baylor but only slightly. I dont trust them to score and rice is still basically an unknown since you can basically throw out the first game. if the game fell to a 4 i might look at it again ... but whatever value i felt was left in the baylor side wasnt enough to warrant me putting my not so hard earned cash on. thats why i eliminated it.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I eliminated some of my talk me off leans today.

pennstate was eliminated due to the fact the line has moved dramatically and i lost my opportunity at value with it. the line is probably about right now.

washington -- this line also moved beyond some key numbers and fell below some of my betting parameters. still wouldnt be suprised to see an upset in this one but the value loss in the line eliminates it for me

cuse - upon further analysis i have no desire to play syracuse at all. some of the analysis of syracuse also lowered my opionion of washingtons victory last week and thus these two eliminations are somewhat tied together.

wv has been growing on me as capper after capper around here makes valid points to the blowout scenario. stays in the talk me off leans section.

fresno - likely playing this game. waiting for my final report on TAMU from my big12 insider in texas before i put my money on it though.

emu -- i actually like the e mich side more than when i originally put them on my "talk me off " leans list. the problem is the line has dropped slightly at the same time.

Thought i might share some info from another capper in my thread to help support my play on oregon state. i know some folks are concerned about the beavers traveling across the country to play a decent cincy team in a night game on national tv. I either stated above or in someone else's thread that i dont see where cincy is better than oregon state other than qb. to support my position i am using collegekingrex unit rankings below to show how another capper views these units. he listed top 30's for each unit.

QB ---------------- OREGON STATE -N/A CINCINNATTI -N/A
RB----------------- OREGON STATE - 26 CINCINNATTI - N/A
WR --------------- OERGON STATE -N/A CINCINNATTI N/A
OL ---------------- OREGON STATE -11 CINCINNATTI N/A
DL----------------- OREGON STATE -24 CINCINNATTI 22
LB ----------------- OREGON STATE 6 CINCINNATTI N/A
DB ----------------- OREGON STATE N/A CINCINNATTI N/A
ST ---------------- OREGON STATE 2 CINCINNATTI N/A

I did not check the dates he started these .... i suspect that they were made after the stroughter situation as oregon st didnt make the wr list. also there have been some injuries to the punter at oregon state so i am sure they would fall in his special teams rankings now. Still the only top 30 unit in his rankings for the bearcats is at dl ... and they are facing his 11th ranked offensive line. meanwhile oregon state litters his lists. it is just another mans opinion but i tend to agree with sexyrexy on most of his lists for the most part.

just another tidbit for folks. outside of the spot .. which isn't the best for the beavers .. i dont see where the bearcats have an edge. makes -3 look yummy to me. plus chance stroughter returns this week either to take punts and kickoffs or to see some action on the field. apparently he is practicing with the offense again this week.

wow VK, You def just talked me out of my Baylor lean, thank you very much. I had no idea about the rain/delays in the Rice game, just saw they lost to Nichols State and saw the box score and thought "automatic fade". Baylor is not exactly a team I trust very much either. Great insight

etg - yup , sometimes the box doesnt tell the entire story. if ihad to play this game it would still be baylor. the good news is ... i dont have to play this game.

dmoney has an article in his thread quoting riley as saying stroughter will see some action. says he is in football shape so it can only help in my opinion.

That was a strange game today between cincy and oregon state. it was not what i expected on some levels and was what i expected on some others.
i expected oregon state to be able to run. despite the loss of perry the ol looked as though it should have been able to run the ball. they generated no push. there were some key plays early that led to the snowball that occurred. the first was the dropped long pass by stroughter. it was by no means an easy catch but one i think most number one wideouts ( including him ) make a majority of the time. the first int was also huge as it gave cincy the early lead with a made fieldgoal. then serna misses a field goal which was big. then with the game tied 3-3 and an open receiver deep canfield threw the int to the covered player that led to cincy getting a 10-3 halftime lead. i actually still felt pretty confident at halftime as the cincy offense did NOTHING in the first half. in the second half a missed snap by cincy was rolling around at the fifty with four oregon state guys and one cincy qb. the cincy qb recovered it. there were in fact numerous missed opportunities on blown snaps that resulted in unrecovered fumbles. on the ensuing punt stroughter was hit prior to catching the ball and the ball was recovered at the beaver 1 or 2 yardline. it was a blown call but that stuff happens. after cincy punches it in, oregon state is suddenly behind the eight ball and forced to throw. going in we knew the qb play was the one negative to this play and that proved to be accurate as the oregon state qbs threw int after int. this game really could have gone a lot differently as without turnovers cincy simply could do nothing on offense. i believe they were held under 1 yard a carry. turnovers are a part of football. i havent figured out how to cap for them yet or dont know if thats even possible but it was the reason that this bet got flushed down the toilet. despite the loss, i felt that i had most aspects of this game capped pretty accurately save the inability of the beavers to run effectively. the special teams domination by cincy has to be an anomaly as i still believe the beavers have better returners and better placekicking with the punters being about the same. hopefully we can get them on saturday.

Eliminated fresno st , eastern mich and west virginia today

fresno st -- a bit worried about the 12th man in this one....The two teams played high school clubs last week so it is hard to figure out where they really are. my preseason power ratings have been anything but consistent to start the year, so i will wait to see what these teams bring to the table before i wager for or against them.

emichigan - dr bob ruined my line.

wvirginia - i just eliminated two games i like more than this one so i cant bring myself to play it.

:cheers:

you know it BAR !!

You get Joe Pa and i get the friggin aggies of utah state. crud.

go nittany lions ... go aggies !

Back