Time to post my week 1 card so far

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Here is what I have locked in already followed by some leans ...

Temple +21.5 (CRIS)
missouri -3.5 (Golden nugget)
Virginia -3.5 (Golden nugget)
ULM/Tulsa over 47 (CRIS)
FSU -1.5 (CRIS)
SMU +11.5 (Golden nugget)
Houston +17 (Golden nugget) (.95 units)
Troy +25 (CRIS) (.95 units ) ADDED AUGUST 9

Games that I am considering :

Strong Leans
Miami ohio +6 @ Ball State
Georgia -6.5 H Oklahoma State (ELIMINATED AUG 12)
Stanford +17 H UCLA (eliminated aug 12)
Troy +26 @ Arkansas ( ADDED TO PLAYS AUGUST 9 )
Olemiss/mem ov47 @ memphis (eliminated aug 12)

Talk me off of leans

Oregon state -6.5 H Utah ELIMINATED AUG 9
Duke +6 H uconn ml? ELIMINATED AUG 12
BC -6.5 H wake forest ELIMINATED AUG 9
Syracuse +4 H Washington ELIMINATED AUG 12
UNLV -8.5 @ mighty Utah state !!! ELIMINATED AUG 12
Iowa State -3.5 H kent state ELIMINATED AUG 12
ULM +5.5 H Tulsa ELIMINATED AUG 12
miss st +17 H LSU(assumes I can get 17 someday)ELIMINATED AUG 10

I will likely be betting all my strong leans, though I could have gotten troy at 28 when CRIS first opened up and I hate getting that much the worst of the number. Also, my friend likes oklahoma state in the georgia game and he has been excellent for me when it comes to big 12 teams,,,,,, but my power ratings made this game so huge that i feel compelled to bet georgia .... get ready for backdoor bonanza for strong okie state offense.

please talk me off the other leans.

All bets are for 1 unit and I never managed any reduced juice so it's -110 on each bet ( houston is actually .95 units for full disclosure ).

update:

AUGUST 9 : eliminated oregon state and boston college as possible bets.
added Troy + 25 (CRIS)
AUGUST 10: eliminated mississippi state as possible bet.
AUGUST 12 : eliminated georgia, stanford,miss/memp ov on strong leans
eliminated duke, cuse , unlv , isu, and ulm from talk me offs

Last edited:
Talk to me about Illinois vs Missouri. I lean to the Tigers also, but I have some major conerns with the back 7 of their defense. Illinois has a big strong O-line that should handle things up front. Taking Missouri we get the weaker O-line and D-line not something I like to do when laying points. All that being said I love Chase Daniel he is way better than Brad Smith was. He has a nice number 1 wide out and a great tight end to throw to. Missouri is gonna be real hard to stop at home.

Duke doesn't cover.. they are a weak team who just lost their best defensive player (their middle LB)... they have no chance of stopping Uconn's run game

Dr atomic , here is my thoughts on that game :

The match up : Illinois vs. Missouri at St louis

Last Year:
Did not play

Missouri and how they have changed

Qb-
Chase daniel returns for Missouri and will continue to run their spread offense. He should have atleast as much success as last year and perhaps more. After a few years in the system, Daniel has an excellent grasp of the mizz offense and knows what to do with the ball (including tucking and running if need be). He is rated 8 by phil steele , 11 by lindy and 7 by athlon at the qb position this year. His back up is inexperienced but adequate. Missouri has clearly improved here with another year of experience and a supporting cast that heavily compliments daniel’s skills.

Rb- With all the attention paid to Daniel and the spread throwing game last year, junior tony temple flew under the radar rushing for over a thousand yards and averaging 5.5 a carry. The tigers return their top 5 rushers from last year and are especially deep at this position in 2007. When discussing the running backs of Missouri you also have to consider the dual threat ability of the qb. He was the teams second leading rusher and knows when to throw and when to run. The running backs and Daniel will be rushing behind an experienced line listed below.

Ol- The spread offense may seem like a finesse offense , and it generally is. But the tigers have anything but an overtly finesse offensive line. They average 308 pounds across the front and their size , coupled with the horizontal stretching of defenses that spread offense employ, will create some rather large holes this year for mizzou backs to run through. The tigers were 46<SUP>th</SUP> in the nation last year rushing the ball , averaging 4.3 a carry and I see them turning that into a 4.8 yards per carry this year. In addition to proving formidable run blockers in the tigers scheme, they have also proven to be excellent in pass protection. They only gave up 19 total sacks last year but even more impressive is that they only gave up 1 sack for every 24.5 pass attempts. When the pass protection does break down , Daniel is far from a statue and should be able to avoid some would be tacklers and is experienced enough to throw the ball away safely. The line returns 4 starters this year, all of whom are upperclassmen. The only new face is a third year sophomore that is one of the better lineman recruits that the tigers have had in recent memory. I can only see improvement from this unit and their combination of size , quickness and experience make them one of my top 25 ol in the nation and a difficult match up for most DL.

WR- For me, TE is generally the least important position on the field as far as handicapping is concerned but Missouri is the exception and I therefore am including them in the WR section. The tigers return their number one receiver in William Franklin from last year. He was injured the final few games of the year or he was likely to have had over 1k receiving yards. While they lose the second wideout in Ekwereku, he is replaced by the more talented Tommy saunders. In addition to these two fine receivers, Daniel has two of the top 5 TE in the country to throw to in Coffman and rucker. Don’t be surprised to see them both on the field at the same time either. Mizz does run a lot of 3 wide and when the two tight ends arent both on the field they do lack some depth here. Still … lots and lots of potential targets for Daniel to throw to on a team that ranked 10<SUP>th</SUP> in passing a year ago. WOW !! What an offense !

Special teams- Solid and adequate with a 41 yard average type punter and a kicker that looked good down the stretch last year. Not phenomenal but not a weakness either.

DL-Missouri uses a 4-3 defensive alignment and I have to think that this unit has taken a step back this year. They lost a couple folks to the nfl and while they return the interior of the line they will be relying on somewhat unproven juco talent to make up the difference. They finished last year giving up 135 yards a game which wasn’t as bad as it looks. They only gave up 3.8 a carry and had to face the number 8th , 17th and 28<SUP>th</SUP> ranked rushing offenses last year. They will be strongest up the middle and weakest on the ends. They return 3 players to this front that have started at least 5 games. Certainly this unit is no powerhouse but it is adequate. I’ll say a slight downgrade from last year.

Lb- Two huge losses in Harrington and Bacon, lets get that out of the way. So the question is can they be replaced? Word out of the spring camp was that Michael Keck was the best defensive player on the team. He is a true freshman with nfl potential. He will likely split time with Alexander who may finally live up to his billing now that he is not as banged up. Christopher and Weatherspoon fill out the line backing corps. Christopher is the leading returning tackler. Don’t be surprised if weatherspoon loses his spot to connell davis or if pinkel puts keck and Alexander both out on the field and pulls weatherspoon off. To me this looks like a pretty big downgrade at this position but it is loaded with some pretty highly ranked recruits out of high school. Luke Lambert also impressed in the spring.

Secondary- Darnell Terrell is a stud and they are actually pretty deep at this spot. He and Ricks account for 21 starts a year ago and gives the tigers a pretty solid set of corners. The question will be at safety but I think the pig and moore should be more than adequate and make this secondary a pretty solid one. They ranked 37<SUP>th</SUP> versus the pass a year ago and I doubt that will improve. Not because I believe that it is worse than a year ago but because I think Missouri will be defending some big leads and therefore defending the pass more. About the same here as last year.

Coaching- Pinkel isn’t exactly what I would call a master coach but what he lacks in game day adjustments he makes up for in preparation. The offense will be fine so if he can coach up the defense he should have a very very solid year. He seems very confident in his team this year and that coupled with high expectations means that he should be in this 100 percent. Below average coach in my opinion.

Illinois and how they have changed
QB- The juice is in the house !! No no no don’t run in fear, I mean jucie Williams not OJ Simpson. Williams and the Illini passing game was nothing short of abysmal last year, but I think we will see some improvement this year in part to a better supporting cast and in part due to more experience. Illinois threw for just 157 yards a game , ranking them 105<SUP>th</SUP> in the country (ouch). Williams completed less than 40 percent of his attempts and was sacked 2.5 times a game. (ouch again). His decision making was very questionable and he threw an int for every 11 completions, while throwing for less than 1500 yards. Nowhere to go but up from here. This position will be vastly more productive this year. Williams was an excellent , shifty runner from the qb position last year which helped the team rank 10<SUP>th</SUP> in the nation last year in rushing.

Rb- Illini lose top rusher Thomas but Rashard Mendenhall will be just fine as the workhorse of this team. They are somewhat thin at this position, so if mendenhall gets hurt the drop off could be dramatic. The illini rushed for almost 2300 yards last year and there is no way, no way that I see them repeating those numbers though the attack should be as solid. The reason for this will be a more balanced attack with better talent at receiver and a year of experience under Williams belt.

Ol -Illinois looks pretty strong up front. They should average just under 300 pounds across the front and have experience at 4 of the 5 starting positions. They have two very strong players in Odonnell and Millington and the rest of the line save the Rg loosk pretty solid too. This unit will open up holes for mendenhall on a regular basis and should be improved over last year. The main problem this line has shown has been in pass protection. They allowed a whopping , humiliating 2.5 sacks a game last year. What makes this even more incredible is that they failed to yield one a year ago to the buckeyes. Opposing defenders were running through unblocked all year long and if the coaching staff does not address this it will be another long year in the passing game. This unit should be improved as well.
Wr- What an atrocious performance the wr of Illinois put forth last year. They couldn’t get open , when they did the play was either disrupted already by the pass rush or they would drop the ball when Juice ever did hit their hands. There is hope on the horizon. They return their top 4 catchers from a year ago and bring in a “can’t miss” receiver in Benn out of high school. Jeff Cumberland gives Williams a speedy out at the TE position (( very very difficult match up for most linebackers)) when the protection breaks down. Kyle Hudson should improve his catch making ( some drops last year). Besides , anyone named kyle can’t be too bad. This unit is improved from a year ago for sure …… but how hard is it to imrpove from a pass ranking of 105 ??

Special teams- the placekicker is fine but I think Illinois had the WORST punting game in all of cfb last year. The balls that weren’t blocked were shanked in fear and while this has to be better than last year it is a huge weakness on this team. Improved for sure .. But like the passing offense , how can it not be.

DL- Illinois employs a 4-3 defense and returns 3 starters to their DL that was fairly effective at stopping the run a year ago (51<SUP>st</SUP> nationally in run happy big ten). Zook has recruited well at this position and that has made it EXTREMELY deep. With that said they only start one senior at the position ( though they aren’t without experience). They failed to score more than one sack in half of their games last year and they will need to improve on the pass rush if they hope to improve on the 27 pts a game that they gave up a year ago. All in all , a pretty solid unit and it makes my top 25 ol groups.

Lb- All starters are back from a pretty athletic unit led by J Leman, who made first team all big ten in linebacker heaven Big 10. This unit accounted for 280 tackles a year ago !!!!! Coupled with the DL , they are a very formidable run defense that held Wisconsin to 99 and penn state to 40 yards last year. They did struggle at times in reading the play action and covering tight ends but with a lot of experience they should be better diagnosing plays this year. They have more decent recruits in the wings making this a deep unit also. My goodness Zook is recruiting like a madman !!

Secondary - Davis and Bellamy will try to cover the wideouts this year for the illini. Both have 4.4 speed and davis started 11 times as a true freshman for the 31<SUP>st</SUP> ranked pass defense in the nation a year ago while playing in the run happy Big 10. I see this as somewhat of a weakness. The illini counted on Alan Bell to cover the opposing number 1 receiver a year ago and while now sophomore Davis has some starting experience, he will be asked to guard the best the opponent has to offer now. The other corner has very limited experience at this level and has a tendency to gamble a lot. The safety positions will be manned by Harrison and Mitchell who provide excellent run support and good tackling skills. They will provide the leadership that the two sophomores will need. This unit looks like a slight downgrade to me , losing by far their best player in the defensive backfield.

Coaching- zook. Wow…. Not a huge game day fan of this guy but he can recruit like a crazed fiend. If he can help Williams progress at the qb position , get Benn ready for big time college football , scheme the ol better for pass protection and get a punt off over 35 yards, this team could be great. Don’t look for great halftime adjustments from him though.

How I See The Game

Missouri offense vs. Illinois defense

Truth be told, I don’t believe there is a defense in the nation that can shut down the tigers offense. It is too balanced , too experienced and too potent. Missouri averaged over 30 points a game a year ago and they will average more than that this year. They will spread the Illinois defense out and let Daniel do his thing, mixing in a decent rush attack with Temple. The Illinois DL , which has been much more effective against the run will have to look to provide more pressure on the qb and account for him in the running game.
The games in which Illinois was most effective versus the run were in games that they faced immobile qb’s such as stocco and morelli. The safeties and linebackers that stacked up vs. the run or rolled coverages to help the young corners, will now be responsible for helping with the third wideout or the TE tandem of Coffman and Rucker. I look for a very balanced attack from Missouri that tends to score a lot in the first few weeks of the year. 2005 44, 35, 52. 2006 47 , 34, 27. Couple that with illini loving to allow points on the road( 27 a game in 2006) and I see a high scoring game from Missouri. I see 34 -38 points here.

Illinois offense vs. Missouri defense
I think Illinois can run the ball on the tigers. The Ol matches up favorable to the dl of Missouri and the tiger linebackers arent the greatest in the world to make up for any lost battles up front. With that said, while they can be effective , I do not think they can dominate and that will mean that they will have to make some big plays in the passing game. I am not a believer yet in juice Williams. He lacks confidence in the pocket and while he should improve this year ( a little better protection should help) it would take a lot to match what daniel brings to the table. The receivers really struggled to get open last year and dropped a lot fo passes when they did and I think Terrell can shut down the best wr tht Illinois has to offer. While I think Benn will become a stud, I think its too much to ask of him to be the man in the first game of his college career. Just the same, this team should score some points on a defense weaker than most they will be seeing in the big 10 this year. I foresee about 20-24 points here.

Final Score:

Missouri 37 Illinois 23

The Bet:

My power ranking line : Missouri -9
Current line : Missouri -5.5

Well, I was fortunate enough to hit this line at CRIS when it first opened and got a 3.5. Missouri is going to score in this game, and in every game and it is a bad match up for an Illinois team that I see being pretty darn good this year. Last year, the Illinois defense played against versions of the spread offense twice in games against purdue and northwestern. They gave up 42 to purdue and 27 to northwestern in losing both games by double digits. They lost by 6 points or more in 4 of their 5 road games and gave up 27.2 pts a game away from home. Their lone win on the road came over Michigan state last year the week after the Spartans melted down and blew a big lead to the irish. The Spartans never recovered. Offensively, the illini averaged just 15 points a game on the road last year and show little regard to the value of the football, turning it over repeatedly. While I look for the illini to improve on their turnover ratio, I have to trust daniel more than Williams when it comes to coveting the football.

Missouri on the other hand is a scoring machine, with confident, mature, experienced players all over the field on offense. They averaged over 30 a game last year and I believe will score more points this year. They will score on the illini as well. The spread offense will prevent Illinois from keeping its safeties and linebackers close to the line of scrimmage and allow for a balanced attack to gain yards on the ground. The matchup with the two tight ends that Missouri employs are a nightmare for coaches and it is difficult for me to see them not getting theirs. Given that I see Missouri putting up a lot of points , I see them leading most of the game and that will mean that Illinois will have to divert from the run game somewhat. The run game is the one spot where I think Illinois has an edge but given a deficit they will throw more and be apt to make some mistakes. This team hasn’t learned yet how to win and I think this is a very difficult spot to start learning that. They travel to stlouis which while technically not a home game ( and I do expect a good contingency of illini fans ) , I think it would be a mistake to not give mizzou a 2 pt edge for the field. So I am betting Missouri tigers -3.5 over Illinois ( current line 5.5 I believe).:cheers:

a ton of money to be made this year.. getting such a jump on things is going to make all our lives a little greener... literally

I am thinking I may need to jump on Troy +26.5 at TheGreek now.

The line on that game at Pinny just went from Troy +26 (even) to Troy +26 (-116).

I may hit it now and then hit it again if the line somehow hits 28.

Husky, us early birds should get us a worm or two:prayer. Looking over the uconn/duke game again.... can't be too hard to talk me off of betting duke ( football that is ).

Dmoney, i think you should bet that game as quickly as possible if it is a bet you are sure you are making. It has consistently moved downward from open. I SCREWED UP big time when i failed to bet this at 28 , for some reason hoping public would be all over mcfadden but again misjudged the fact that the early money is usually the smart money ( i did this earlier with notre dame game of the year line at golden nugget and now i cant bet that game). I should probably suck it up and bet it now too. the value is there ( there was some good info on this matchup somewhere on this board but i cant find it now . was it you ?). i just hate getting the worst of the number , but i guess i shouldnt allow that to keep me from making money on the game.

I'd love to see a bball matchup too this year.. my boys should be a bit better than their 17-14 mark last year lol

Here is what I did on the Troy game, not sure if this what you meant:

Troy +26.5 vs. Arkansas

Anyone else think this spread looks funny when compared to the likes of South Car. vs ULL? It's only 3 points higher while I believe that South Car is better than Arkansas and Troy is far superior to ULL, who is predicted to finish at the middle/bottom of the conference.

Troy is probably the best the Sun Belt has to offer. They also are willing to make trips on the road to face these BCS conference teams every year. They only return 5 on offense, but they return the top 2 RB, top 2 WR, and starting QB Haugabook from last year. The biggest concern is they only return 1 of the 5 on the OL, so I'll have to look further into that unit. Haugabook is talented and a double threat, and he could be tough to deal with provided he cuts down on the turnovers. They also return 8 on D.

I think Arkansas may take a small step back this year. The D is good, but it can be beat. They also lose 4 of their top 6 tacklers and 6 of their top 10. Sure, McFadden and Monk will lead the way on offense, but do you have enough confidence in Casey Dick to cover this kind of number?

I just hit it at +26.5 for the normal amount. I think the Greek opened it at around that number. If it climbs back toward 28, Troy will be my biggest play of week 1.

husky - don't think you have to worry about that bball team going 17-14 too often, just lost too much talent to nba last year. but i guess that s for college basket forum.

dmoney , thanks for pasting that in here, it WAS what i was referring to. Think I am gonna get down on this tonight too. You better not ahve moved the line !!!!!

Thanks VK - no need to worry as I don't bet enough to move the line. I would get down on it now like you said though. I'll have a more extensive version of the write-up in my plays thread later.

BTW my pure power rankings have a LARGE difference compared to what the book has made that troy/ark line. It is almost a principle bet for me when that happens anyways.

also, my pure power ranking line actually has uconn -4 so that wouldn't be a play based on pure rankings. like i said, i will go over that game again tonight ... come on husky, others ... talk me off of it. I already have temple ( that was easiest bet in my opinion ) ... do i want temple and duke in the same week ??????

I wouldn't be able to talk you off of your "not strong" leans. The only ones I disagree with are UNLV (which we already went over so I now understand what people see in that game) and Syracuse.

Looks like rb tony temple and cb hardy ricks got banged up yesterday for missouri already. can replace temple at rb easy enough because of great depth but ricks would be a hit. when i know more i will post it here. for more info on it , it is posted in rj esq , injury thread. ugh this would not be good.

I'll be on UVA with you I think thats a solid play and Temple as well but I dont see much danger in waiting for that line to move a little more hopefully...I dont see it coming back down any

I dont like your lean on Iowa St very much with a new coach and only a handfull of starters returning. They usually tend to struggle in their openers, even against AA schools. If I didnt swear off betting on MAC games I would probably be on Kent

Share your reasons for your UNLV pick? I was leaning to Utah St and the points in that one but I will admit I havent done much work with that game yet...though I did notice the line has dropped a full point since the opener

howdy hokie,
I may lay off the game for sure, leaned to betting it , then leaned to laying off and now i am inbetween there somewhere though i probably will not bet it. i have posted on this somewhere before and just pasted it here for ya.
enjoy.

I know a lot about unlv (local) so i will give you some insight into why people (self included ) feel they will be improved this year and should handle utah state on the road. I will not be betting the game, though i had planned to originally the line got away from me a little and unlv defense does make me leery of a backdoor cover. but here is why i think most folks around here like unlv, mostly short takes cause i dont want to do a whole write up.

QB-- rocky hinds was as big a recruit as we have had at unlv at the qb position since randall cunningham. the main problem with him has been injuries and he will be ready to play in this game. has never proven himself but atleast he will be in the game.

wr-- he will be throwing to maybe the best receiving corps in the mwc. they are very solid all the way to the 4th wideout spot, which would make it very difficult for utah state and lack of depth to cover 4 decent receivers. improved and solid.

rb-- they got juco frank summers coming in this year ( formerly played for Cal bears). This doesnt seem like much but as a regular follower of the program the rebels ability the last few years to convert on third and fourth and short has been horrendous and htis guy is a load. they have speed at the position in peeples . clasic thunder and lightning type thing. look for summers to get more carries as the season oves along due to ol factors pointed out below. imrpoved.

ol - unlv is strongest up the middle of the line so expect that to be where they run the most (summers). they have a kid Hawley who moved tot he center position this year and has makings of a real stud. Sanford loves his versatility but it won't matter because he will play center and only center no matter who gets hurt. They also have a player who the coaching staff has said is making incredible improvement in asiata at rt. this guy is huge, may even be pushing 340 and has improved a lot because he had basically no football experience prior to coming to unlv. on the left tackle they have a csu transfer in plunkett. so the line is improved for sure.

st - have speed at return spots. Kicker aguayo is considered very good but had tough time last year battling injuries and the punter this year challenged for the starting job last year before the eventual starter took 1st team mwc. so improved here

DL- best lineman played hurt all last year in geathers who shouldbe 1st or 2nd team mwc this year. thor pili comes in from oregon ducks ( great spring). middle of dl is suspect.

lb -beau bell will be drafted in nfl draft next spring and had to fight injuries last year. in spring jimmy miller was the better linebacker of the two ( miss state transfer). They have a lot of depth at this spot and it is pretty solid.

db - rebels lost some guys here... eric wright to nfl and another multi year starter in guice. they do get milvon james (ucla transfer) and tony cade (oklahoma sooner transfer).

so what i think people are looking at is that the returning talent of geathers, hinds, bell , and aguayo are healthier now and should be more productive. and look at this list of transfer talent:

qb rocky hinds (usc transfer , texas )
rb frank summers ( CAL fb )
wr - starters are solid. ( depth with transfers from arizona and wash st)
dl - thor pili (oregon)
lb- jimmy miller (mississippi state)
db- milvon james (ucla) and tony cade (oklahoma)

that is a lot of bcs recruits on the field coupled with geathers (likely first team mwc), beau bell likely drafted in spring, aguayo solid kicker, and arguably the best wr unit in the conference. now add in the fact that a lot of the talent was hurt last year ....the team is much better this year and i wouldnt be shocked if they won 5 games !!!!!!!!!!!!! i can see where most people dont think utah state can match up with bcs recruited talent. like i said, i won't be betting the game because the line crept into the area where it lost some of its value and i like other spots more but i can see why others like it.

Iowa state only a 1 point favorite on my pure power rankings. That should mean that the value was with kent state. This is probably the only game on the board where something just feels a certain way to me. Iowa state doesnt have many winning opportunites this year and this looks to me to be clearly their easiest game. New system for them yes, downgrade at coach --FOR SURE ... but can they handle mac talent at home ??? probably ... or maybe ....or maybe not. I did an in depth on this game too and if i get the time ill type it up for a post. it is a small lean and not unlike you many around here like the kent side, and the line move tends to back Y'alls position on the game. Still for me , like my other talk me off leans, was either a bet on cyclones or a lay off. Doing an in depth on uconn/duke tonight so doubt i get time to transcribe the cyclone/kent game until tomorrow.

I'm high on Uconn for the first few weeks before Big East play.. they are going to be a solid with their out-of-conference schedule- because it's fairly weak.. Donald Brown III(i think hes the 3rd) is honestly one of the best running backs in the country.. He absolutely tore up Louisville's defense last year. They'll have a decent O-line that will be above-average compared to Dukes D-line...

Lorenzen/Brown are the two in the mix for QB- word is that it's Lorenzen to lose(he was Juco-All American last year)- but they are both very athletic quarterbacks who can move (lorenzen was a wide reciever at iowa st, brown runs a 4.5), and they both have good arms..

Duke doesn't have a clear cut QB either, and i don't t hink they'll have it together week one..

I really just think Uconn is too dominant and will overwhelm Duke with their run game which will subsequently open up the pass..

Uconn has solid defensive backs this year, so i don't think Duke will be able to muster much of an aerial attack...

Either No-play or go huskies if your still undecided kyle..

Since i bet the virginia game , i will paste my original post concerning this match up here. the post was made july 24. i have called chris long, chuck long so many times this year already that i wont even bother editing it.

enjoy

MATCHUP

VIRGINIA at WYOMING

LAST YEAR : Wyoming 12 VIRGINIA 13 (OT)

I was lucky enough to watch this game last year and it was one of the stranger games that I saw all year long. For the most part, I would say that Wyoming actually outplayed Virginia in this one. They rushed for way more yards , and produced more first downs than Virginia and the QB play of the cowboys was also superior to inept Virginia QB play. The cowboys faked two punts in this game successfully for first downs ( gained roughly thirty yards on each fake) one of which led to a made field goal. The cowboys also fumbled a ball at the one yard line and it was recovered in the end zone for a touchback by the cavs. The cavs struggled to move the ball at all on Wyoming in a game that was dominated by defense. It was tied at 6-6 going into overtime and after Virginia scored to make it 13-6 the cowboys converted a fourth down for a td but then failed to make the extra point ( he had also missed a field goal or two). Virginia was 9 point home favorite.

Wyoming and how they have changed

QB - Last year the cowboys started Doss at qb in this game but a few weeks later he was replaced and Karsten Sween ended up being the starter down the stretch. He returns as the starter this year and I expect him to be one of the better qb’s in the mwc along with caleb hanie and brian Johnson. He did a great job of not making mistakes with the ball. This is an improvement for Wyoming at this spot in general but especially given that Doss started and failed against this Virginia team last year.

RB- Seldon and Moore are a decent duo for the running back position. I see this unit as the strength of the offense but they will need a hole to run into and I am not talking about one in the ground to hide in. see below. I think this unit is a slight improvement year over year both in general and for this matchup.

OL- Ouch. This does not look good for the Wyoming cowboys. They return zero starters to their position last year and only two overall. They will be starting two freshman and zero seniors. This generally spells for disaster and that is why despite some decent backs to run the ball I can’t see them having much space to run into. The cowboys gave up 40 sacks last year and managed only 3.6 a carry in the rushing game. As bad as they were last year , I still can only foresee them being worse this year even though the numbers will likely be better. Hard to believe but this is a downgrade from last year both in general and especially in this matchup.

WR - This unit is average at best but they at least have some game time experience and some catches. They ranked 85<SUP>th</SUP> in the country in pass offense last year but these guys might struggle to get open against good secondaries and they will have to get open quickly if the Wyoming line plays the way I expect it to. This unit is about the same as last year and if the line could somehow play half decent and give sween time to throw they could improve on that 85<SUP>th</SUP> place but not by much. Again, this unit is about the same as last year.

Coaching/home field - I think Glenn is a pretty decent coach (certainly one of the better coaches in the MWC ) and I also think that Wyoming has the largest home field advantage in the conference. Same coach , same system. Wyoming is the same here as last year but now they have the home field edge.

Special teams / TE notes - Punter is adequate and while the kicker has a decent leg he doesn’t have much accuracy. It would be hard to duplicate all the successful fake punts from a year ago and especially against Virginia who they torched with it twice. This unit should be better than last year in the standard way of judging kickers/punters but it will be hard to make up for all those fake kicks.

DL- Another ouch unit. This team not only loses every productive player from it’s starting group last year but is looking to play 3 sophomores at the three DL positions. Never works . NEVER. This team only gave up 3.2 yards a carry and were 23<SUP>rd</SUP> in nation versus the run. But this unit is a huge downgrade and look at the schedule they played last year and you can see where some of those stats came from. HUGE downgrade and even more so in this game than in general.

LB- Wyoming returns three starters from a year ago and this was a pretty good group of guys. Two seniors and two juniors anchor them here and one has to think they will be pretty solid at this spot. This unit is a substantial upgrade from a year ago in general and for this game.

Secondary- I couldn’t believe this when I saw it , but Wyoming was 8<SUP>th</SUP> in the nation versus the pass last year and while they return two of the four from the defensive backfield they will miss the Wendling kid who went off to the nfl. The wyomings of the world don’t produce that many nfl talent players and they can’t replace him back there. It is impossible for this unit to be better than last year. Impossible. I will get a tattoo of the Wyoming cowboy logo if they surpass last years pass defense. So while the corners look good, the safeties might blow a coverage or two, though they really don’t look bad. All in all a good unit but one worse than last year.

Returners - Hoost was a pretty damn good return man last year and one would expect that he would only improve. Got to say this should be better for Wyoming. Anyone know if this guy is related to Ernesto ?

Virginia and how they have changed

QB- Last year in this spot the cavaliers started olsen and then went to McCabe. By week 4 Virginia started Sewell and now a sophomore he will be in charge of the cavalier offense. He struggled a bit last year especially on the road ( last two away games 0 points at fsu and 0 points at Virginia tech) but did show some good signs with mobility (he actually has more rushing yards than any returning player) and ability to read defenses (comparatively) . Some of his troubles have to be attributed to an OL that was young ( 2 junior 2 sophomores 1 freshman) but that line is matured now and should produce him better protection. The kid has talent. Overall I see this position as an upgrade in general and a big upgrade for this game.

Rb- Team loses Snelling but Peerman looks adequate as a replacement. They look deep, if not average at this spot on the field and I look for them to be slightly worse as far as talent goes but much much better as far as production goes. All in all this unit is slightly worse than last year in general and in this game.

OL - This unit is usually the strength of Virginia teams but was pretty cruddy last year. They managed to open holes to the tune of 99.9 yards rushing a game ( ouch ) and gave up a whopping 35 sacks. The running ability of Sewell probably cost them a few extra but also might have saved them a couple. They were really young last year , starting zero seniors but now the entire line returns ( one of my favorite things to see in the preseason). In addition to them all returning, the blocking schemes for a left handed quarterback should now be the norm for them unlike last year when they spent the whole spring and start of the year with blocking schemes for a righty. The left side of this line is particularly strong and that is where you should expect to see the cavs run the most (315 at tackle and guard). They average 301 across the front and with more experience should be able to push some folks around. Always love it when the whole line returns and especially at a school where they recruit OL well and develop that talent. This should be a huge improvement over last years team in general and even more so for this game.

WR - ouch. They lost a stud in ogletree in the off season to an injury and the remaining projected starters have a combined 6 catches. Ouch ouch ouch. This unit is a HUGE downgrade despite the fact the Qb should be better and have more time to throw it is hard to see who can step up and replace a talent like ogletree. This unit is a huge downgrade in general and for this game (though it is hard to figure how this team can produce less through the air than they did in this game last year).

DL- This should be the anchor of the entire Virginia team. We all know about chuck Long but the best part is that Al Groh loves the whole unit. He RAVES about Fitzgerald and they have a quality returning senior at NT. This should be an upgrade over last years unit that scored an impressive 30 sacks a year ago. Upgrade in general and upgrade as far as this game.

LB - Return with three juniors and a senior and this looks like a very
talented group. They have had a full year now to learn the blitz packages of this defense and this is a pure quality looking unit. This is about as good a set of linebackers as one could expect to see starting for a program like Virginia. Al Groh can recruit and he can teach and this unit should be even more solid than a year ago. Huge upgrade both in general and in this game

Secondary - Wow !!! They return all but one in the secondary and they are so deep at this spot it is sick !!! So as a whole this defense returns 10 of 11 starters and they are loaded at the one spot that they lost a starter !!! This defense should be absolutely incredible ! What makes it even better looking is how well they played last year ( throw in the cruddy offensive production and that makes this even more impressive).
They were 17<SUP>th</SUP> in yards allowed , 41<SUP>st</SUP> against the rush , 15<SUP>th</SUP> against the pass and 22<SUP>nd</SUP> in scoring !! That is pretty impressive for youngens’ in the ACC even if the conference was a bit down last year !

HOW I SEE THE GAME

Wyoming Offense Versus Virginia Defense

How on Earth is this team going to score on Virginia ??? The OL has no one starting at the same position as last year and looks like it should be dominated by the DL of Virginia. Hell if you take away 59 yards of fake punts last year the cowboys rushed for 109 yards on 36 carries ( 3.0 per carry). Play action isn’t likely to work often and it is hard to figure how these average receivers get open against a solid secondary. The Virginia unit has played a whole season together and shut down a better looking offensive Wyoming team last year. I feel bad for qb Sween here. I think he has ability but there is just no way we can see it in this spot. I doubt they get shut out at home but I can’t see them scoring more than 13 against Virginia’s loaded defense.

Virginia offense versus Wyoming defense

I think Virginia knows that Wyoming can’t score on them and I expect Virginia to play pretty conservative on offense which plays into their strengths anyways. Look for the Cavs to run left , then run left again and then run left again behind the two 315 pounders on that side. Unlike the Wyoming offense, I see the OL of Virginia completely outmatching the young inexperience ( 3 sophs come on !) DL of Wyoming. This should lead to Wyoming having to load the box , bring up safeties and leave them more vulnerable to the big play that Virginia should not be vulnerable to. Although the cornerback/Wide receiver matchup is probably the most favorable on paper for the cowboys. I also see Sewell making at least one big play with his legs. Depending on just how many times the Wyoming offense goes three and out , I see Virginia putting up 23 - 27 here.

FINAL SCORE Virginia 24 Wyoming 10

My power ranking line : Virginia Cavaliers minus 4 at Wyoming Cowboys
Line I expect to see : Virginia minus 4.5 - 6.0

What to bet : Well, if I haven’t said it once, I’ve at least said it twice ….you can’t use power rankings in a vacuum and this match up looks absolutely horrid for Wyoming. While I am concerned about Virginias offensive production on the road last year they should have more than enough short fields to make scoring in this one possible. Given last years game they won’t be looking past the cowboys either. When one team has total control of the trenches on offense AND defense and the other team has no real playmakers on either side of the ball ( lost wendling) it makes for a really really good betting situation if the spread is under a td. I think Virginia is the bet. And it rates to be low scoring so I will have to look at the posted total and edit this if that is a play ( I hate the inverse correlation though between favs and unders ).

NOTES : One interesting tidbit for this game is that it features two left handed starting quarterbacks. :tiphat:
<!-- / message -->

kyle,

sorry to interupt your thread...

dmoney,

I completely agree with your analysis of the Troy game...I'm on them +26 as well...

I'll just add one other thing to VK's stellar points on Mizzu vs. the fighting alumni.

The skill and talent of TE's Coffman and Rucker allow Mizzu to show ACE personnel (two TE's, two WR's, and one back) in the huddle forcing the opposing defense to keep it's base personnel in (usually 3 backers). In this instance, look for Mizzu to flex out one or both of the TE's in it's traditional spread look thus getting favorable secondary matchups.

When teams start trying to counter the base personnel with a nickel back, Pinkel can do any number of things to get favorable matchups in the running game. I.E. a balanced line to run stretch plays, motioning Rucker into the backfield as a lead to iso the nickel back, or go unbalanced to run reverses and counters off of strongside running plays when defenses try help the nickel.

In otherwords, Mizzu will be able to dictate offensively what they want do against virtually every opponent on their schedule with equal or lesser talent. And as VK says, they'll still score a bushel-load of points against good D's as well.

Excellent information on the use of the tight ends TFight !

I took the worst of it and bet Troy today +25 at CRIS for .95 units. I am very upset with myself that I did not pull the trigger on this game earlier but with so much downward momentum , I felt like I could wait no more.

After further analysis, i have eliminated Oregon State and Boston College from being possible plays. I will be laying off both of those contests. Obviously I still believe the value of the line is with them , it just isn't significant enough to warrant a bet.

I will put all edited text in bold in my original post to avoid confusion.

Also , i fell asleep while doing more research on uconn/duke .... imagine that. should have info ready for post tomorrow. sorry for delay.

eliminated miss state as a possible bet today. atleast i will be able to cheer for everyone else this way.

I'll just add one other thing to VK's stellar points on Mizzu vs. the fighting alumni.

The skill and talent of TE's Coffman and Rucker allow Mizzu to show ACE personnel (two TE's, two WR's, and one back) in the huddle forcing the opposing defense to keep it's base personnel in (usually 3 backers). In this instance, look for Mizzu to flex out one or both of the TE's in it's traditional spread look thus getting favorable secondary matchups.

When teams start trying to counter the base personnel with a nickel back, Pinkel can do any number of things to get favorable matchups in the running game. I.E. a balanced line to run stretch plays, motioning Rucker into the backfield as a lead to iso the nickel back, or go unbalanced to run reverses and counters off of strongside running plays when defenses try help the nickel.

In otherwords, Mizzu will be able to dictate offensively what they want do against virtually every opponent on their schedule with equal or lesser talent. And as VK says, they'll still score a bushel-load of points against good D's as well.

:shake:

As promised , if a little late..

The matchup: connecticut at Duke

Last Year: Did not play

Duke and how they have changed:

QB- Duke has somewhat of a QB battle brewing in the fall. Thaddeus lewis was the man last year after Asack ( is there a worse name for a qb anywhere in the world ?) violated academic rules at the university and was suspended for the year. Jones is the front runner at this time and started 11 games last year for the Blue Devils as a true freshman. Jones was very very impressive down the stretch of last year after taking some lumps early in the season. In the last 7 games of the season he was 125 of 238 (52.5%) for an average of 211.7 yards a game. This is impressive because of the defenses faced and how those teams rated versus the pass last year. Florida state (56), miami fl (40) , Vanderbilt (51), navy (32), boston college (59) , georgia tech (49), N carolina (48). A 211 average for the year would have put them roughly in the top 55 last year in passing offense. With a years experience , and everyone back on the offensive side of the ball, those numbers should improve on their 76<SUP>th</SUP> ranking of a year ago. Zack Asack is probably the more gifted of the two qb’s as he is also a decent running threat but given his suspension, it is more likely than not that Lewis would get the nod to start the year. Asack spent the year off hanging around practice facilities of the New England patriots and has reportedly kept himself in good condition. He provides them with some depth at the position … or if he were to overtake Lewis, the opposite is true. Lewis showed improvement throughout the year and this is the first time in awhile that Duke has the same starting qb returning to start the next year. Big improvement over this time last year at this spot. Roof has indicated on numerous occasions over the off season that this version of the Duke offense would be much more aggressive in the passing attack and the added attempts and completions should bolster not only Lewis’ stats but his learning curve as well. As you would expect the overall talent here isn’t on par with top programs.

RB- duke has three rb’s that will likely all see some playing time. Boyette , Boyle and Drummer. This entire unit got banged up last year and banged up pretty early in the season to boot. These aren’t McFadden or stewart or slaton by any stretch . They averaged only 98 yards a game last year(99<SUP>th</SUP>) but started the year with a true freshman at QB and opposing defenses were geared towards stopping them without much fear of a pass offense to burn them. Down the stretch as the QB and offensive line progressed and the passing game became more effective so did the backs. They averaged 129 a game in the last 6 ( again we are talking miami fl , vandy , navy, BC, Georgia tech and N carolina here. Not chopped liver ) on the ground and are far healthier now than they were all of last year. Much like the qb position we are looking at below average talent and both positions will depend heavily on the offensive line play. Atleast they have lots of game time experience in the group.

WR-Duke will mostly employ a two wideout , one TE , FB and HB look on offense. The tight end is one of duke’s better recruits and I look for better production from that spot on the field. Duke returns their three best receivers in Riley ,Chestnut and Wright. Roof will probably start Riley and Wright due to upperclassmanship but chestnut might be the most talented of the bunch and should see considerable playing time. In my mind this is the weakest wr unit in the ACC (actually might be better than Virginia given stud injury) and they are not an extremely athletic bunch. However, their production should go up considerably with superior qb play , superior ol play and a more open playbook in terms of number of pass plays. Improved here .. But still not very good. Duke just doesn’t recruit well enough.

OL-If you know the way that I think , then you know that I love it when an entire offensive line returns ……. Not sure if you have noticed yet but … the entire offense returns this year. For most clubs I would be going nuts over this …. But the players returning aren’t even going to be playing in Canada or Europe let alone the nfl. Back to the offensive line. This unit showed the most improvement of any for the blue devils last year. They are now a year more experienced , mature and stronger. They average 290 across the front , so they are a bit smaller than you would like … but they also averaged 11.6 starts between them last year. In addition they have an experienced TE and experienced FB to help in the blocking schemes. They will need that help as they won’t be able to physically dominate other teams.

Notes: I have mentioned several times above how this offense improved as the year went along last season. Below is a list showing some of these improvements

Scoring average first 5 games: 5.4
Scoring average last 7 games : 21.7

First downs per game first 5 games: 14.0
First downs per game last 7 games: 17.7

Average yards rushing per game first 5 games: 70.2
Average yards rushing per game last 7 games: 118.2

Average yards passing per game first 5 games: 148.0
Average yards passing per game last 7 games: 211.7

Turnover margin first 5 games: -7
Turnover margin last 7 games: -1

Total yards per game first 5 games: 218.2
Total yards per game last 7 games: 330.0

Time to talk about their crappy defense.

DL: Duke will use a 4-3 defensive alignment this year. They lose Nichols and Camero but these two only accounted for a combined 43 tackles and 1 sack. They will be led in the middle by Vince Oghobaase, who by college career end will be one of the best DL to come out of duke in some time. The other inside position will be manned by Cliff Respress. Senior Patrick Bailey will start at one end.. He is VERY undersized but very quick for the postion. The other end will be manned by okpokowuruk ( is that an ewok name or a pokemon name ?). The line has really decent playtime experience and is one of the more talented dl that duke has had. They gave up a horrendous 168 yards rushing per game and an average of 4.6 a carry. They only averaged about a sack a game last year and if you throw out the Virginia game ( 5 sacks) you can see that they really struggled to get a good rush.. Expect Bailey and the ewok guy to improve the rush from the ends and a year of experience will only make oghobaase that much better and he was thought highly of coming out of high school. Duke actually has a bit of depth for a change at this position and I see it as a much improved unit over last year. They may have to be, because the line backing is not good at all.

LB-Duke only has one returning starter to the line backing corps but he was their leading tackler a year ago. Involved in an incident during the off season he has been suspended indefinitely and it is unlikely he will be playing in the Connecticut game. This means that duke will have zero returning starters to the linebacking unit to start the year. As you might expect with duke, they are not very deep at this position and the loss of tauilili hurts them a lot. With the return of Asack this year and the emergence of Lewis last year , former qb jones has been converted to the outside linebacker spot. Hard to expect much out of this group with Tauilili out ….. If he is reinstated prior to game … they be ok.

Secondary- Duke will be starting new corners this year. At one corner will be converted wide out Junior Jabari Marshall. He has tons of speed but his technique is questionable and needs improvement according to Coach Roof. The other corner position is somewhat up in the air. Leon Wright (so) , Evalio Harrell (sr) and Tony Jackson (fr) are all possibilities. There is very little experience at this position on the field and they may need safety help when they face quality receiving groups. They gave up 227 yards a game through the air last year and it would have been more if other teams weren’t running the clock down with big leads. The safeties actually look pretty solid with experienced starters in Aye-Darko (jr) and Chris Davis (sr) combining for 23 starts a ear ago. Unless speedy Marshall develops, it could be a major weakness to go along with weak line backing . This would make the back 7 one of the worst in D1 football. If however, Marshall combines skill with his athleticism and the safeties can aid in defending the run more often …. The defense as a whole could be better than a year ago.
Special Teams- Duke was atrocious in field goals last year … atrocious. Returning junior starter Joe surgan connected on 30 % of his field goals (ouch !) and they were all pretty short kicks, indicating that he may not have a great leg. Duke missed an unbelievable 5 point afters last year too. The punting was also questionable and duke currently has several folks competing for that spot. One major concern for the blue devils is their lack of depth at linebacker and secondary positions. Given this fact Roof won’t be using his best athletes on kick coverage and the already athletically challenged blue devils will likely struggle in stopping long returns this year. With all of this …….. I think this will still be an improvement over last years team as it is hard to imagine a worse year in field goals and PAT’s.

Coaching - I am not going to lie…. I have not had the pleasure over the last few years to actually watch Duke football and do not have a good grasp of whether coach Roof has his kids well prepared or whether he makes the necessary in game adjustments. His record of 5-34 including a 20 game losing streak (23 if you don’t count the victory over VMI) is anything but inspiring but I suppose he has to be given some slack as it is hard to recruit to duke for football. Doubt we will be seeing him coaching any major programs anytime soon.

Connecticut and how they have changed

QB- The likely starter come game day will be tyler lorenzen ( ahhh the memories of covering games with a similarly named qb at Kentucky brings a tear of joy to my eyes). Lorenzen was a juco all american qb and I think he might be the third best at the qb position in the big east behind Brohm and White. There is talk of a qb competition but I would be shocked if Dennis Brown got the nod. The pass offense of the huskies was horrendous last year , with horrendous qb play . It ranked 110<SUP>th</SUP> in the country while producing a measly 141 yards a game. In the defense of the passing game, uconn suffered some injuries on the line that hurt them in pass protection …. Causing a decline in the pass game as the year wore on. Ilike the addition of the lorenzen kid and think the huskies will be much better this year at this position. Hernandez who played qb for them last year has switched to wr but he is capable of running the offense, so you have to consider uconn to be three deep at this spot.

Rb-Do you know what team was 13<SUP>th</SUP> in rushing last year ?? If you said “Connecticut” then you are correct. The huskies rushed for 183 yards a game a year ago though it is not as impressive if you look at how they fared against d1 competition. In five of their 11 match ups vs. d1 they failed to rush for 130 yards. And rushed for 116 yards a game over the last 4 road games. They return their number 1 rb, sophomore Donald Brown and he can flat out play . He should be even better this year. Lou Allen is the back up who will spell Brown when he gets too many carries. The huskies ran the ball 61 percent of the plays from scrimmage last year and you can expect them to run first this year as well. I do look for that play calling ratio to become more balanced as the huskies should get better qb play and will not have to rely on the rush completely.
WR-Hernandez, Kanuch Taylor and Jeffers should all see significant time at the wr position this year for the huskies. Hernandez played some qb last year but is likely to be a better receiver than he was a quarterback (not too hard if you watched him play last year). He brings a lot to the table (hell might be good for some trick plays too) in his athleticism and knowledge of the offense. As a whole this unit is not very attractive on paper and is likely the worst in the BE conference. I think they will be more productive than last year however. The combination of a banged up offensive line , bad qb and a good running back made for few pass attempts for the receivers. With lorenzen at qb , with an ol that should provide better pass protection and with teams focused on stopping rb brown there should be both more and better opportunities for uconn receivers to get open. They have a quality TE in Steve Brouse who is also a pretty good blocker in their run game.

Ol-They have some big dudes on this offensive line. They average 314 pounds across the front !!!! This unit was really banged up last year and while that hurt them in 06 it should help them some in 07 as the line has decent experience now. Last year they were a pretty good run blocking unit but awful in pass protection. Even with mobile qb they gave up an average of 2.7 sacks a game against D1 competition !!!! Wait it gets even worse ……they were sacked once for every 10 times they attempted a pass !!! They need to improve in this aspect if the huskies are going to have any consistency this year. They should , however, be good at creating some push for talented rb Brown to run behind.

Special teams- uconn has a pretty good return man in that little fast fella Larry Taylor. He has been explosive and shifty at times in the return game and has also been solid in decision making when the ball is in the air. I like him as a return specialist and he will have another good year for them in my opinion. Last year uconn did have some punting problems but Edsall liked the incoming freshman Taggart and they have desi cullen in the event that Edsall doesn’t want Taggart to split duties as kicker and punter. Edsall made a point in recruiting to improve their kicking game and it appears he has an answer. Assuming they can snap the ball better this year ( I think the long snapping guy was either hurt or missed some games last year which contributed --correct me if I am wrong ) they should improve a lot in the kicking game. I think they have a big edge over duke in special teams.

DL-uconn lost their best defensive lineman in rhema fuller and return two starters to the DL . This unit is VERY undersized but likewise they are somewhat quick. They gave up an appalling 180 yards rushing a game last year. Disgraceful. I guess you can cut them some slack as they played the following RUN HEAVY teams last year( wake forest , navy, west Virginia and Rutgers). They managed about 1.6 sacks a game vs. D1 and put little pressure on qb’s all year. In short , they were terrible. They are going to get run over a lot and will need support from the linebackers to help them out. I am completely unimpressed with this unit.

LB-As unimpressed as I am with the DL , they may get assistance from the linebackers. Lansanah and Henegan combined for 191 tackles last year and return for their senior seasons in 2007. This is clearly the strength of the defense and they will be forced to make a lot of tackles due to the inferior DL that uconn has placed on the field. The other line backing spot will either go to Jarrell miller or freshman scott lutrus who impressed coaches in the spring. I like the mixture of skill and experience that this group brings to the table and it is probably the best line backing crew that Edsall has had at Connecticut.

Db- Have to like the corners that the huskies bring back this year. Both starters Butler (jr) and Branch (sr) looked pretty good last year in helping the huskies to the 25<SUP>th</SUP> ranked pass defense in the nation. That ranking was helped by their inability to stop the run and the fact that they played the run happy teams listed earlier. They rate to be better this year. The concern lies in the safety spots…… I think by mid year that sophomore free safety Robert Vaughn will be a decent player but he still has a pretty steep learning curve and donnell ford on the other side would not be playing for most schools. They lost a lot of depth at this position too with several “dismissals” of cb’s in the off season. Like the cover corners but fear a blown coverage by the safeties.

Coaching- What can you say about Edsall ?? He took uconn D1 and fields a competitive team. He coaches with integrity and expects dedication from his players to the team. This definitely has long term benefits for the program. He has gotten new facilities and garnered community and school support. He makes good in game decisions and coaches to win. I love this guy as a head coach. There is a lot of consistency with this staff and the same basic philosophies have been in place at the program for years now.

How I see The Game-

Duke offense vs. uconn defense:

Duke will improve dramatically on pts per game this year and I think they end up averaging 19-20 a game. I think most folks expect duke to do a lot of passing and while I agree that they will pass more in this game and in general this year ,I also look for duke to have some success running the ball with an experienced line and an undersized DL that they may actually get some push against. They will be balanced in their attack , though I don’t see the wr getting open consistently vs. the uconn defensive backfield. While they lack big play type guys they should be able to pound out first downs and keep the below average defense of uconn guessing a little. The balance will help duke neutralize the linebackers of uconn somewhat and they should get enough through the air to put up some points with a more experienced qb this year. I have pointed out numerous times how this offense improved and feel that the defense that uconn fields is a far cry from what duke saw at the end of last year in conference play. I see them scoring 20-26 here.

Uconn offense vs. duke Defense
Uconn should be able to run on duke. They are huge up front and duke is small. They have a talented back in Brown and the linebackers of duke are unproven. They will be aided by a decent pass attack led by lorenzen. What hurts duke in this match up is that the defensive backfield is inexperienced at corner and very experienced at safety. Due to uconns ability to run on duke the quality safeties will have to cheat toward the line of scrimmage and leave the newbie corners unprotected at times, While the uconn receivers don’t exactly strike fear into you , they are likely to get a few big catches on play action. In addition I like the uconn TE match up vs. the line backing of the blue devils. Much like the duke offense I see uconn having plenty of success on the ground with a good mix of pass. Also like the duke team I see them having to pound out first downs without much great playmaking ability outside of rb Brown. I see them scoring from 23 -28 here.

Final Score Uconn 27 duke 23

My power ranking line : Connecticut -4

The bet

No bet. There is not enough value in my opinion to bet either side. While I make the line and final score a 4 point spread by analysis there are concerns for me on the duke side that I usually give less credence to but consider more here. 1.) they don’t know how to win. 20 losses in a row. 2.) while I do not really handicap turnovers the duke offensive system ( especially considering the DB’s of uconn) lends itself to more turnovers than the huskies system. 3.) I don’t know what the hell to expect from the duke kickers. They have been utterly atrocious and a few missed gimme kicks in a game like this can be the difference between cashing and crying. In short I would not be surprised if duke won outright but I would also not be surprised if uconn won by a couple of td. Why bet here when there are better spots ?? I promised this write up so I put it in even though I am eliminating it as a play for me.

good luck to whatever side you are on in this one !!:cheers:

Last edited:
Eliminated the following plays from my strong leans list today
mississippi/memphis over
stanford plus 17
georgia -6.5

eliminated the following from my talk me off leans

duke plus 6
cuse plus 4
unlv -8.5
isu -3.5
ulm plus 5.5

my card for week 1 barring a major line shift creating aplay is basically set. i will bet miami oh ( my only remaining considered bet) if i can get a 7 .. if not i will not play it. best of luck this year and in week 1 folks !

Nice read...as I agree with you on most.
Especially the Virginia, Houston, and Troy games. Just wish I could have hit Houston and Troy when the lines were that high...not so sure I will hit them now. But will most likely lock in Virginia soon.

just a side note to the uconn/duke game. ncaa just declared lb jarrell miller of uconn ineligible for 2007 season. so it will be the talented freshman starting at the third lb spot.

jarrell miller was 2nd on the depth chart behind lansanah, so he wasn't going to get a ton of time anyway..but still a blow

First the good news !!!!

Card went 1-0 in thursday action, cashing the over in the tulsa/ulm. Ulm moved the ball less effectively than expected and major rain and wind hit the field half way throught he third quarter making a clear over turn into a sweater of sorts.

the bad news is that i could have gone under 54 at station casinos at kickoff but decided to keep my value. i would have middled the game.

how my thursday leans fared that i did not play.

STRONG LEANS

miami ohio ---- decided not to play this game unless it hit a 7. it never did and i did not bet it. not only did miami oh cover but they won outright. ( grats redbearde and others who pulled ml trigger ). Of course, i expected more scoring in this one so my analysis of the game may have been off anyways.

TALK ME OFF LEANS

thanks for talking me off of them

iowa state -- clearly the wrong side and a bad football team

miss st -- closer than final score indicated but very glad i layed off. in fact silver lining in this final in that i may get value in line vs tulane

ulm -- wrong side. tulsa was the better team and warhawks were very outcoached. again once i layed off was sort of hoping they got jacked so i can get value later vs lesser.

unlv -- at time i had the lean hinds was going to start and with him they would have covered this easily in my opinion. as it was .. glad i didnt bet it at this number when i liked it as i would have been stuck with it.

oregon state -- right side. pounded ball on utah.

not sure how I missed your thread VK.

Don't you wish you had GT+9 from the Golden Nugget? I would wager my life on that line, I would sleep in mud and eat tree bark if I lost that game with that spread.

I am starting to come around on Missouri and UVA, possible late addition for me. I like the Troy play as well..

Overall great thread and looking forward to a long and profitable season

etg , dmoney:cheers:

so mad at myself for missing that line etg on the gt/nd game. never got to play the game as it fell under my parameters due to my laziness.

dmoney - i am pretty happy with my lines. unhappy that some really good cappers are against me on some of these ...

lots of good folks on navy, though i am in love with temple here.

garfather ( the ml king) and some others like oregon

see texas tech getting lots of love

atleast jumponboard is with me on some of them.

would be somewhat angry to lose in week 1 due to enormous number of hours i put into cfb preseason

Last edited:
Back