RetroVK

This claim is disputed
season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 1-0 +1.00
dogs 2-2 +0.42
overs 0-0
unders 1-0 +1.00

ok when i saw the lines that came out for tuesday there was one game that really caught my eye immediately. the dreaded sf giants. after creating my own line i found there was significant value with matt cain in this spot. in addition there are some considerable trends pointing to cain here as well.

cain simply pitches like a demon in california ... or when he doesnt have to travel far if you prefer.

here is matt cain's outtings in the state of california dating back to the start of june last year....

sep 25 home to san diego -------- 7 innings , 5 hits , 2 er
sep 20 home to the reds -----------6 innings , 7 hits , 2 er
sep 15 at san diego ------------------6 innings, 1 hit , 1 er
sep 9 home to dodgers ------------ 7 innings , 6 hits, 2 er
aug 28 home to colorado ----------- 7 innings , 4 hits , 1 er
aug 23 home to cubbies -------------7 innings , 8 hits , 1 er
aug 8 home to washington ----------6 innings , 3 hits , 0 er
aug 3 at san diego ---------------------7.1 innings , 5 hits , 2 er
july 28 home to florida ----------------7 innings 6 hits 3 er
july 23 home to bravos --------------- 4.1 innings 6 hits 4 er
july 13 home to dodgers ------------5 innings 7 hits 2 er
june 27 home to san diego ----------7.2 innings , 7 hits , 2 er
june 22 home to yankess ------------ 5 innings , 7 hits 5 er
june 10 home to oakland --------------8 innings , 5 hits , 1 er

i have bolded the away games and the dodger games for extra relevance. N ow granted a lot these games are at home but the consistency is astonishing. But there is some more good news ... the dodger hitting stats against cain are somewhat deceiving. sure the dodgers are hitting 29 of 89 off of cain but 21 of those hits were singles and only 8 were for extra bases .... they aren hitting him hard. he pitched 12 innings against the dodgers last year and only yielded 13 hits and 4 er.

in addition , he rates to be improving while lowe rates not to , season over season.

lowe also has some decent numbers when he faces the giants though the giants batters bat over 300 against lowe.

One of the main reasons that you have to like cain here is that he likes to throw strikes and lowe often struggles with control. in matt cains last 13 outtings he never walked more than two batters. he really mastered his conrol at the end of last year ..... traditionally lowe struggles with control early in the year.

zito and lincecum get all the publicity but i think cain is the true ace of the staff.

i will be making a play on the giants tomorrow.

As rookie in baseball I'll be paying attention to your plays all year. I just played the Giants as well as Cain is better than Lowe in my opinion. Even though the Dodger lineup is a lot better, I don't think the Giants should be getting +149 so I will take what I think is a 50/50 game. Only thing that concerns me is some of the LA hitters have hit Cain pretty damn well. I played the O7.5 too even though I don't think they corelate well at all. Guess that's why I'm a rookie, lol.

well they correlate well as far as the away team to the over ... baseball is different than most other sports ... in football its fav to the over dog to the under , same with baskets , same with hockey .... but baseball is opposite do to the last at bat factor to the home team. so the giants to the over is correlated in this spot.

giants have hit lowe every bit as good as the dodgers have cain.

more than likely you know a ton about baseball ... now just apply it and win money ,,,,, not fooling me with the rookie business OW. baseball is not the sport that i cap the best but it is the one i tend to make the most money at ... i guess cause there are 162 games a year .. makes for more bets.

well they correlate well as far as the away team to the over ... baseball is different than most other sports ... in football its fav to the over dog to the under , same with baskets , same with hockey .... but baseball is opposite do to the last at bat factor to the home team. so the giants to the over is correlated in this spot.

giants have hit lowe every bit as good as the dodgers have cain.

more than likely you know a ton about baseball ... now just apply it and win money ,,,,, not fooling me with the rookie business OW. baseball is not the sport that i cap the best but it is the one i tend to make the most money at ... i guess cause there are 162 games a year .. makes for more bets.

Appreciate the help and nice comments. I pitched in college and also a part time pitching coach at local high school when I have time so I feel like I can watch unknown pitchers and get a good feel for them (Doesn't mean I do, haha). Cain has been one guy that I know should break out here soon. There's no telling how many games last year he had given 2 hits or less going into the late innings. IMO, he should be thought of close to young guys like King Felix. BTW any advice you can give to a novice baseball bettor would be greatly appreciated and good luck tommorrow. :cheers:

I don't have a problem with you betting the Giants for value, but I do think it ought to be a bit higher myself after watching them trot that abysmal lineup out there yesterday. They were no match for Penny and I think they struggle with Lowe, as well. He's coming off an erratic season where he was hindered by an injury to his hip that has not been a factor so far in 2008. LA pitching coach Rick Honeycutt suggested Lowe to hook his spikes on the edge of the rubber, and after Lowe listened, he's seen good results. That has provided greater stability on his rear leg and given his pitches some late life.

GL today bro...

rex-

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I don't have a problem with you betting the Giants for value, but I do think it ought to be a bit higher myself after watching them trot that abysmal lineup out there yesterday.

jump <HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Offense and his terrible April numbers...two major scare factors for me.
yup i agree with both of you about this giants offense .... it is clearly the worst in baseball in my mind and they did not look good in the opener vs penny. Lets face it though ... penny has a lot better stuff than lowe at this point. suprised that you made this higher Rex as i would have made Cain a slight favorite at home to lowe ... making the plus 145 look pretty juicy to me.

Cain had a decent april last year jump so i wouldnt be too concerned .. certainly his april was better than lowes.

cain april 2007 -- 35 innings pitched , 12 hits , 6 er ... an era of 1.54. he allowed 1 run or less in four of his five april starts. his control was bad to start the year in 2007 if that is what you were referring to.. he walked a lot of guys ( 17 in the 35 innings pitched ). Cain went 6 innings or more in every april start.

lowe in april 2007 -37 innings pitched , 44 hits , 19 er , ... an era of 4.62. His best outting of last april was against the giants but he also lost to the giants at home as well. his control was also suffering to start last year ) 17 walks in 37 innings ). lowe was run out of the game in less than 5 innings in 2 of his 6 april starts last year ..... again it should be noted that he did pitch seven innings in both of his two starts vs sf in april last year.

so i wouldnt be that concerned with cains april numbers comparatively to lowes.

The number that scares me is his run support ... they dont score for cain even by giants standards.

always hard to bet on the worst team in the league but thats where the numbers are sending me. think if this game were played 100 times that i make decent money at this number so i am gonna take it.

official play

giants +145 ( cain ) pitchers listed ( lowe )
rangers/M's under 9 -115 ( padilla/kingfelix )

Last edited:
Went ahead and bet the seattle game under tonight. Almost wanted to bet this last night but after doing the weather/ump exam decided to bet it now. Great information about this game in collegekingrex thread regarding the umpire and the weather ( state of the roof ).

I predicted kingfelix as my american league cy young winner so i expect huge things from him this year. A two dollar favorite here so no way i lay that number but it does give us a likely advantage as to the number of innings pitched .... should be 8.5 innings not 9 or more.

Had my choise of under 8.5 +110 or under 9 -115 at two different books. That is pretty much what they charge for that run from 8.5 to 9 so it wasnt clear to me which might be better ..... but after the kc/det game went 4-4 to extras yesterday on a posted 8.5 total , i just decided to be a wussy and play the 9 -115.

good read vk. have to agree about the pitching matchup, just scared out of my mind by the giants hitting even with past #s. BOL today with the plays, hope ya don't have a heart attack... or just don't get angry with the giants haha.

yeah ... why do i always have money on the heart attack teams ?? tampa , pirates , astros , rangers, and now giants

BOL tonight VK - solid start and amazing info on tonight's match-ups. I am going to have a tough time betting the Giants this year despite the number though, as this is one of the worst offenses of my lifetime.

I do agree that they are the value tonight with Cain on the mound.

Good luck today kyle, cant say im gonna root for cain since i threw LAD in a ML parlay.... but you certainly have some good reasons to back him.

:cheers:

Well the thing with playing dogs is that you have to accept the fact that even on the days that they outplay their opponent , they can find a way to lose. good effort from cain as predicted ... 5.2 innings no runs allowed. sf with a 2 run lead has bases loaded one out and hit into a dp and then hennessy promptly gave up the lead ... dodgers go on to win in extras. have to say +145 likely was a good bet obviously... just didnt work out this time. Managed a tie in the seattle total ... bullpens blew up late as it was 1-1 heading into the eighth. dont think i need to comment more than that.

so results of the day were 0-1-1 -1.00 units ... if you had told me an hour ago that i would lose money today on baseball i wouldnt have believed you. hehe.

updated baseball record

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 1-0 +1.00
dogs 2-3 -0.58
overs 0-0
unders 1-0-1 +1.00

Last edited:
Well the thing with playing dogs is that you have to accept the fact that even on the days that they outplay their opponent , they can find a way to lose. good effort from cain as predicted ... 5.2 innings no runs allowed. sf with a 3 run lead has bases loaded one out and hit into a dp and then hennessy promptly gave up the lead ... dodgers go on to win in extras. have to say +145 likely was a good bet obviously... just didnt work out this time. Managed a tie in the seattle total ... bullpens blew up late as it was 1-1 heading into the eighth. dont think i need to comment more than that.

so results of the day were 0-1-1 -1.00 units ... if you had told me an hour ago that i would lose money today on baseball i wouldnt have believed you. he]quote

Tough loss for us tonight. 1-3 on posted plays for me although I later added Fla ML I also added the Min ML so was basically a wash. Most second baseman make that play but hell Durham played with Shoeless Joe and in the 1918 Black Sox scandal so what do you expect? GL tommorrow.

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

hear that . durham is no defensive stud by any stretch. Wasn't really anything abnormal about it.

sports betting so frustrating sometimes

Back