Time to post my sunday april 27 baseball

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Took a day off yesterday as i was feeling a bit burned out and didnt cap a game.

ok here is what i am looking at for tomorrow.

braves --- Smoltz comes in with an ERA and WHIP both under 1.00. He has pitched against the mets bats for years and they have proven that they really just cant hit him. They hit .233 off of him in over 400 plate appearances. Smoltz is a great day pitcher as well,,.... last year he had a 3.41 day era and this year he has pitched 11 innings in the day allowing just 1 run. The mets as a team are batting just .229 vs right handed pitching and are now facing a pitcher that is allowing his opponents an average of under .200 to start the year. Nelson figueroa takes the hill for the mets. ERA is 4.05 with a whip of 1.20 coming in this year. The braves have not seen him much but did hit him well when they did. 7/18 with 2 doubles and a hr against him. Fig has looked decent in two home starts priot to this against the brewers and the nationals but those were much better matchups for him. brewers bat just .231 vs righties ( their woes in that regard are well documented throughout the forum ) and the nats bat just .233 vs righties. The braves are a different monster as they bat a whopping .286. Fig doesnt seem ot like the day either ..... 6 innings pitched , 9 hits 5 er this year .It has been awhile since this guy has been pitching in the majors but if you go back to 2004 ( last year prior to this for his mlb action ) he was A LOT worse in the daytime as opposed to night,...8.53 era and a batting avg of .385 against vs a nightitme era of 3.45 and a .222 batting average against. Better pitcher , with a better matchup , with better daytime splits here and i only have to lay 20 cents. i'll bite.

phillies/pirates under 9 --- This is a pretty straightforward bet. I guess I am likely one of the few fans of brett myers but it is hard not to like him when he sees the pirates lineup. They have batted just .234 against him in 94 AB and he has kept them in check with a .294 obp. Bay has hit Myers pretty well in the past but he is about the only one .... laroche .172, , sanchez .125 , paulino 0-3 ( meaningless really ), mientkiewicz .222 , mcclouth 0-2 ..............so if he can pitch carefully to Bay he should have great success here. in 2006 myers was good in the day .... 3.00 ERA and an opponent batting average of .241 , In 2007 a 2.70 era and an opponenet batting average of .186 and so far this year in two starts a 4.24 era and an opponent average of .269. The pirates average .239 so far this year vs righties at the plate and again ..... if Bay and Nady dont hit , they dont seem to have a chance. So to repeat myself , if myers can find a way to limit Bay's production, I don't think the pirates can have success. Maholm takes the mound for the pirates and he has been a stud at home so far this year. He has pitched 11.1 innings at home this year , yielding just one run. Like Myers , Maholm has shown the ability to throw strikes as well ... so limited free bases for the opponent. There is some concern that in limited looks at maholm the phillies have hit him pretty well. He has held his opponents to 2 er or less in 6 of his last 7 home starts ...though the exception in that streak was to these phillies. For what its worth the phillies are batting just .248 vs lefties this year as well and at some point the loss of key bats is going to show up in run production. This is the end of a very long road stretch for the phillies and i think they are ready to call it a trip and hit home. Situationally i like maholm to shut down the phillies a bit and myers just seems to match up well with the pirate bats. So hard to decide on a side ... but not the total. take a shot at under 9.

Rockies --- Francis vs loaiza is all i really need to say here. They appear to be begging for rockies money with this line but i am not going to let that deter me here. Lets start with Loaiza for the dodgers ..... First thing we know is that they arent letting him go long innings. I mean that even if he is pitching well he just doesnt have the stamina built up in the arm right now to expect him to go long. I doubt it matters here because the rockies rate to rock him ( pun intended ). The rockies are a team built to destroy righthanded pitching and they also have a history of getting to esteban. They bat .386 against him and have 7 extra base hits in 44 AB. Helton just kills him. Francis takes the hill for the rockies and was considered in the preseason to be their ace. Would be very disappointing for the rockies if francis didnt record a win in the opening month. So far this year when Francis is NOT facing the dbacks he has pitched pretty well. 14 innings, 14 hits , and just 4 er. That also entails his last 14 innings of work so he is in good form. The concern here is that the dodgers have had considerable success against Francis in the past.but that was the distant past ............here are his last four starts vs dodgers...bolded the away games

sep 18 won 3-1 at home 6.2 innings , 6 hits , 1 er , a solo shot
aug 19 lost 4-3 at dodgers 6 innings , 6 hits , 2 er
july 28 won 6-2 at home 7.2 innings , 7 hits , 2 er
april 9 won 6-3 at dodgers 6.2 innings , 5 hits , 2 er

don't see much of a reason to expect the dodgers to perform much better than their last four other than how much better they have been hitting at home compared to on the road to start this year. Even if they do get to Francis some , i think the rockies can outscore them. Worth the -105 i laid

i played all three of these already ..... official plays post incoming.

season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 19-16 +0.21units
dogs 24-17 +12.95units
overs 2-4-1 -2.00 units
unders 10-4-1 +5.53 units

official plays

phillies/pirates under 9 -105
rockies -105
braves -120

gl gang

shit dude these all look like winners, I was thinking Rockies but didnt pull the trigger. No Bucco's play tonight?

nope , think both pitch well tomorrow and i am certainly hoping the pirates win ( 8.5 innings instead of 9 is always good for an under ) .

GL VK...

really like that Pitt under as well and might add Pitt since they have won 8 of the last Maholm starts at home . Myere has even lost 2-1 and 3-1 in the past...might take +1.5 RL since runs should be at a premium...also agree with fading NYM and Figuerora though Ithink there lineup showed signs of breaking out today and Smoltz mainly has pitched vs shit lineups so far. He went 5 vs NY in his 1st outing of the year but the pens have been worked alot lately and that would not be good....so might go 8.5 over first then ATL.....Figuerora should get hit....

Didnt look at the Rocks game yet...but dont think Francis is right at the moment...gl:cheers:

From the other thread..sat discussion...

Interested in the game @ Pittsburgh.

Philly ends a hectic week that started with the Sunday nighter vs NY then travled to COl , Milw and Pitt with Monday off I think they might rest some players. Then again they dont have much depth and just gave Howard 2 days off. Pitt hasnt played that badly at home and is trying to avoid the sweep before heading on a trip starting @ Shea. One would think they emphasize getting a WIN before traveling since they got there asses handed to them last trip. Ya know the one were they were outscored 48-12 over 5 games after stealing the 1st game in LAD.

Bottomline is Maholm started turning his season around in June of last year . His past 10 starts at home Pitt is 8-2 and 6-4 under losing 1 game by a run as well. In those 10 starts Pitts staff allowed 3 runs or less in 7 and 4 runs or less in 8. Outside of the game he left this year due the rain delay he went at least 6 innings every time and mostly 7 innnings. The last 8 starts at home in 2007 he went 56.2 Inn 54 H 22 R 21 ER 17 BB 36 K 4 Hrs on top of the 11.1 Inn 10 H 1 R/ ER 3BB 8 K in 2008 so far.

10 starts 68inn 64 H 23 R 22 ER 20 BB 44 Ks 4Hrs allowed 2.91 ERA 1.24 WHIP

Now his worst strat in this 10 game stretch happened to be vs Philly . It was one where struggled early allowing 2 big Hrs and after 2 innings had allowed 6 runs but settled down to shutout Philly over the next 5 innings. So not weighing that negatively since he did some good things.

This series both Pens have lived up to the early season reputations as Philly's has produced a real solid road ERA and Pitts has been fantastic at home. SO far in 2 games 17.2 Inn just 4 runs and 3 earned. Clearly SP has sucked in this series.

Myers back in the rotation has now thrown 100+ pitches 3 straight games and I wonder if that has any effect. His track record is sound vs Pitt as he lost both starts there 2-1 and 3-1. Granted they were from 06 and 05 but Pirates arent hitting much so doubt they could have fielded a worse lineup. Career wise 9 runs in 34 innings and 5 in 12 away. Pirates are hitting below 240 vs RHP and Philly just below 250 vs LHP.

The total The way I see it is I doubt we see that 9.5 tmrw but Morris vs Kendrick was 10 and this SP matchup is significantly better and it took sloppy play in consecutive ganes to see DD runs even today there was just 17,18 hits which isnt that many when you see 12 runs..Hallion behind the plate cant hurt . Like I said the other day dont go cray looking at ums but hey if you think you have a fat number and you see an UMP who in 6 games has 5 unders and 3 shutouts it cant be a bad thing. The only over for him was his last game when Arroyo allowed 7 in 1 inning still just a 9-3 game. He has had some solid SP but they guys are just as good if not better then most of those.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl>G</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>GS</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>W</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>L</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SV</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>CG</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>SHO</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>IP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>H</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>R</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>ER</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>HR</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>BB</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>K</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>ERA</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>WHIP</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>BAA</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right><TD class=yspscores align=left height=16>Day</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>62</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>49</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>24</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>12</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>4</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>2</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>1</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>327.1</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>293</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>144</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>137</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>44</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>107</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>290</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>3.77</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>1.22</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>.237</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=right><TD class=yspscores align=left height=16>Night</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>135</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>99</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>37</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>36</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>17</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>4</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>1</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>627.2</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>663</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>344</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>325</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>95</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>226</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>505</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>4.66</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>1.42</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>.272</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Myers like most hard throwers seems to enjoy pitching in day games. Malhoms splits arent very solid but I doubt many of those starts were at home. Funny that Mayers @ Coors vs Franics the total was only 9 this week...

So want to see the lineups but with good pens and good SP Ilike the Under here as well as Pitt to avoid the Sweep....Philly lineup 47-205 vs LH but alot of Hrs with 13 but as I said Malhom allowed only 4 last 10 at home although 2 were to Philly..Maholm just 8 runs of support in 4 starts thinking Pitt wins 4-3

Also at Shea probably like the over for the exact reasons I like the under here. Lower scoring series @ Shea keeps the number lower. I think Smoltz faced Santana at home and saw an 8.5 total while Figuerora was getting 9,9.5 versus Wash and Milw much weaker offensive teams. Figuerora labored through 5 @ Wrigley 7 hits and 5 walks. Think Chi left like 33 MOB on that game...both pens a bit taxed of late ..Hudson went 3 and Maine left after 5 innings...want to see if Chipper starts but if its get to 8 have to look at that hard want to see the weather as well....also Smoltz 1st start he lasted 100 pitches as well but really more interested in the fact he has faced weak lineups. Mets hit the ball alot better today and ATL made some real good defensive plays to keep the game close. Wright got a hit finally and I think Delgado hit one deep that got held up by the wind. So positive signs there and Smoltz was always solid @ Shea seems to always allow about 3 runs...I expect Figuerora to get hit and he did allow 2 runs in a earlier outing vs ATL earlier.. same total as Hudson vs Maine...?? to big then IMO..

At the Jake...tough since neither SP has a good track record vs opponent and Wang looked shaky vs WSox but battled ...Yanks dont hit much vs LHP on the road and that trend continues so far going 3-0 Under so far. Sabathis supposedly looked like the CC of old last start. Yanks have a ton of LH hitters and with Jeters offensive decline at least IMO it falls heavily on ARods streaky shoulders vs LHs. So far 136 abs vs LHP and just 6 extra base hits ...2 of each.. Huge issues since wlost Sheff and even Bernie Williams with Damon and Abreu replacing them . There was a stretch really till late in the year probably when Duncan arrived when NYY just dodnt score vs LHP away..think at one point NYY was 2-14 SU away vs LHP and then won its last 3 in Sept...8-5-2 Under in the 1st 15...8,4,0,1,3,2,7,1,2,0,4,10,5 is what they scored in those games started by LHP..so basically thinking about an under depending on Joba's status...Cle doesnt have many LH to worry about and if Wang is solid he is tough on RHB...

Possible interested in Boston but need to catch up on Beckett ...also Texas and STL look intersting.....

looks like we have some similar thinking today sportsnut. Throw in Hile on the pittsburgh total and i am starting to feel pretty good about that one.

lets make some money please

He is solid. Good footwork ( thats what coaches said last spring anyway ).

I had him rated as the third best guard in the WAC behind Hercules at hawaii and behind tad miller of boise st. I have not exactly been great at figuring out how college talent translates to the nfl ( leaf > peyton as i recall ...whoops ). Very solid college player though. shrug.

looks like we have some similar thinking today sportsnut. Throw in Hile on the pittsburgh total and i am starting to feel pretty good about that one.

lets make some money please

Little sweat there in the b8th whe they intentional walk McLouth for some reason down 5-1 with 2outs...Sanchez is next but if you dont get him then you face3-4-5 and I believe Condrey walked the pitcher in taht sequence...more great managing...anyway important thing is Pitt won 6-1 ! Also for me very nice since the game at Shea went over 6-3 and I for some reason even played the Mets +1.5 RL..game at the Jake Yanks win 1-0...nice start so far really need SDG though to finish a 4 team parlay and have some ML as well.....

Good Luck the rest.....and sorry I hijacked your thread but to lazy to start my own and I figured two strong opinions would be more a benefit then any thing else....:shake::cheers:

ok 1-2 on the day minus 1.25 units, a brutal way to lose the dodger game.

rockies -- Loaiza pitched well ... which was amazing. truly amazing. Francis pitched well but was victimized by questionable decision by the manager and a pitcher rbi. With two out and a man on third early in the game Hu came to the plate for dodgers. They intentionally walked him to get to the pitcher. Loaiza singled and the run scored and a moment later another run was knocked in to give the dodgers a 2-0 lead. The rockies later tied it at 2-2. The rockies had many chances from that point forward stranding runners in scoring position in the 7th , 8th, 9th and 10th innings. Tulowitzki was atrocious again ..... hitting into a dp with bases loaded and failing to get a hit again later with risp. The guy is not just not hitting , he makes TERRIBLE outs so far this year. Corpas continued his struggles and those of the rockies bullpen in general , as he walked the bases loaded in the bottom of the tenth before giving up the game winning single to loney. Just a terrible loss.

phils/pirates under -- probably the only bet i wouldnt make again and it was the one winner of the bunch. Maholm pitched a complete game and myers pitched a subpar game as the pirates cruised to an easy victory. Plenty of chances for this one to go over , most notably the bottom of the eighth. Feel fortunate to have cashed this. Given how well maholm pitched and i still had to sweat this heavily , i have to question the play a little ... not sure i bet it again,

braves -- The bet was on smoltz here to continue his excellent pitching vs the mets and the start of this year. He couldnt do it. What was interesting was how the game revolved around delgado. Delgado has a history of success against smoltz and smoltz knows it. He pitched around delgado and gave up a walk and then gave up the unlikely homer to casanova. After that , Smoltz felt forced to throw strikes at delgado and he homered and then later on he homered again off ohman. I have no problem with this bet , just one of those instances where figuerroa outpitched smoltz. I can live with that.

this marks the third losing day in a row for me dating back to thursday ( no bets saturday ). So for anyone who might be tailing me , this might not be the best time.

updated baseball record

season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 19-18 -2.04units
dogs 24-17 +12.95units
overs 2-4-1 -2.00 units
unders 11-4-1 +6.53 units

i was pretty heavy on the rocks myself. Thanks for following up as I didnt know why they lost. The magic from late last summer isnt there right now. You know your stuff, appreciate your selections and opinions.

Back