RetroVK

This claim is disputed
season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 3-0 +3.00

dogs 6-6 +1.63
overs 1-0 +1.00
unders 1-0-1 +1.00

ok ....... some thoughts on a couple games that i am looking to bet tomorrow.

reds -150 -------In my mind this is the biggest pitching mismatch of the season to date and it occurs at home for the reds. I guess the price is not more punitive because of the phillies lineup but thats the rub ... they dont hit harang at all.batting just .231 against him. He pitched against the phillies only once last year and his stat line looked like this ... 6 innings , 8 hits , 5 er . 3 of those came on a two out three run jack by ryan howard. I consider Harang one of the elite pitchers in the national league and he has already been a hard luck loser once already this year. he went 6 innings allowing 3 hits ( 2 homers ) and 2 er. Harang has also been very solid in the month of april historically. But we all know Harang is good. ........ Adam eaton was good five years ago .... but not recently. First of all, he got hit fairly hard by the reds the only time he faced them last year....6 innings , 6 hits , 3bb , 5 er. That was at home but that is a difficult stadium to pitch in ....... but he is both awful away from home and awful in april. last april ....look at these stats ... you might not even believe them ........ 28 innings pitched , 32 hits ,, 14 walks , 24 ER. he gave up 4 runs or more in 9 of his 15 away starts last year and gave up atleast 2 in every away start .... in addition, only three times did he allow just 2 runs and that was in the pitchers parks ... san diego and nymets ( twice ). Just not logical to believe that he goes out and pitches a 1 or 2 or even 3 run ballgame in this park especially in a day game. So I think I have a great chance to win this bet in two different ways .... 1. Harang pitches his normal game and shuts down the phillies bats ..or 2. Harang shows up with less than his good stuff and the reds simply outscore the phillies to win. At home , so I decided to bet it on the moneyline rather than lay the 1.5 runs with only 8 innings to bat in. Speaking of being at home .... consider this when deciding if this bet has value ..... if it is just -150 at home .... what would the line be if this match up were to be played in philadelphia ? i bet it already at -150.

i will also be betting the best team in baseball tomorrow .. the sf giants. thoughts on that coming later

Good Luck VK. Couldnt agree more with Harang tmrw. Everything you said was right on.Eaton struggles on the road , struggles in day games ,struggles vs LHB and got hit hard in ST...Cincy losing tonight seems like a good thing...BOL:shake:

Probably going to be fading this pick, not fading you, just fading someone else that has this. Health on it.

just for discussion... is this stat right?

I see they hit .308 last year vs him, or are we talking about current roster in their careers? you said .231. Lifetime #'s for Harang aren't pretty vs Phils but I didn't look to see when those games were played.

I lean over/phils in this one, so good health if I do play the Phils. otherwise GL vk.

current roster renew. and thanks for luck if you dont bet the other way. And i wont be cheering for you to win that bet tomorrow ramble. hehe.

Alrighty then ... have bet a big favorite so now it is time to look at a big dog. the mighty san francisco giants.

giants +155 -- this line is almost impossible to believe. A baseball game where I get the better pitcher and 55 cents. Look , I know everyone is going to pop in here about the giants offensive woes .... and for reason ... they are pathetic offensively but not pathetic enough to warrant manny parra being a -180 favorite. Lets examine Parra for a second. First thing that i want to say about him is that had it not been for injuries to capuano and gallardo ... this guy would be pitching in the minors right now, but instead he is laying a price i do not even like to lay when i have santana , or webb , or peavy. The brewers 5th or 6th starter warrants that kind of chalk ? But I digress.... the giants have hit parra well in limited at bats ... 5 of 16 ( .313 ). In defense of Parra all five of these hits were singles. But there are some interesting things to consider with Parra ..he loves getting lefties out ....problem is that the giants 2-7 will all be right-handed bats. Parra yeilded an average of .280 to righties last year while just .174 to lefties .... there are no gimme outs due to his specialty of beating lefties. He also gives up 1.2 more runs per nine innnings in the daytime as compared to night. Also , the kid is not experienced with the starting pitching role in regular season mlb action. I never like those kind of pitchers to go long innings in a game and the brewers used up their best long relief guy in torres yesterday ... so if giants can run Parra we get second tier bullpen guys. The opposite of all the things i dont like parra for in this game ... i do like correia for. First , unlike Parra his day game pitching ( 3.27 era ) has actually been better than his night pitching ( 3.50 era ). Second , he doesnt have a weakness pitching to lefties or righties as he holds them both to under a .260 average. Third , his numbers vs brewers batters are superior to Parra vs giants batters. Granted in both cases the ab are extrememly limited. Outside of weeks and Hall , no one on the brewer team seems to have a good feel for him and Fielder only faced him once , walking (no idea if this was intentional either...didnt look it up ). Fourth , at the end of last year correia proved that he can go 6 or 7 innings in a starters role. In addition, he proved he could start on the road ....here are correias road starts last year.

aug 14 at braves ....................4.1 innings pitched , 4 hits , 1 bb , 0 er
aug 31 at nats .......................6 innings pitched , 5 hits , 1bb , 2 er
sep 5 at rockies ......................6 innings pitched , 4 hits , 0 bb , 1 er
sep 17 at dbacks ....................5.2 innings pitched , 3 hits , 5 bb , 2 er
sep 28 at dodgers ...................6 innings pitched , 6 hits , 1bb , 5 er

pretty damn good..

He had one start vs milwaukee at home where he went 5.2 innings , 5 hits , 2 er and no walks.

in relief against the brewers last year he went 2.2 innings gave up 2 hits and allowed no runs.

ok the brewers have better hitters , i get it ... but the giants are still a major league baseball team and they go to war with the better pitcher and situation. At +155 this has to be a profitable bet long term. taking a shot on the crappy giants.

Renew ...... Harang did not have a start against the phillies in 2006

in 2005 he started vs them twice and got rocked both times.

todays official plays

reds-150
giants +170 ( roflmao )
braves -125

ok it turned out to be mainevshudson again today after yesterdays rainout ....... the extra day of rest helps the braves bullpen and makes the bet even better and last time i expected the line to move the other way and bet braves -135 .... so the situation got better and my line got better. got to love it. if you are interested in my thoughts on that particular game i have a writeup in my friday "time to post" thread.

good luck in whatever you bet today.

Last edited:
We got Cincy VK ! Good call waiting on the ATL game now..and actually have decided to play BALT tonight...

Thanks everyone !!

had an ok day with results but a great day of capping.

giants +170 loser ---- had a shot ... tip my hat to parra , he had good stuff and pitched extrenely well ... giants were no hit thru 5. Still had plenty of chances to win and the game went as expected for the most part. would definitely bet it again at that number,

reds -150 --- won this one the way that i did not envision , with eaton pitching his ass off and reds winning it with a walk-off. Since i even won in that fashion , i feel pretty good. Might have misjudged eaton as he pitched better today than in any road start last year. jury is out but i wont be in near the hurry to bet against him as i was today. of all my bets today this is the one i would be least likely to make again though.

braves -125 ---- went EXACTLY like i said it would , though with more total runs than i expected ( holbrook behind the plate calling strikes ... though more often balls. ). I mean , maine went just 4 ... hudson went 6 or so ...blah blah blah ... perfect.

2-1 +1.00 units on the day. take it every time.

updated baeball record

season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 5-0 +5.00
dogs 6-7 +0.63

overs 1-0 +1.00
unders 1-0-1 +1.00

Back