Time to post my monday april 7 baseball

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
ok looking at monday ....

Giants +105 --- no way. This game has a giants win written all over it.

-home opener for giants
-matt cain was nasty at home last year.
-matt cain gave up 4 runs or more at home just twice last year in 17 starts ( 4braves. 5yanks )
-matt cain failed to yield more than two earned runs in his last seven home starts
-matt cain had great april numbers last year.35 innings pitched , 12 hits , 1.54 era. look at that again..... he was basically giving up one hit every 3 innings in april in 2007
-matt cain continued his april good pitching in his first start this year pitching 5.2 innings allowing just 3 hits and zero runs.
-matt cain has nice dat/night splits
-stuff to junk angle applies for giants hitters after facing sheets today
-matt cain owned the padres last year. here are his numbers last year vs the padres ...
41 innings , 24 hits , 11 er , 2.42 era ... padres batted .173 against him
-the current padres roster is batting just .188 against him
-maddux pitches FAR better at home than on the road
-maddux pitches better at night vs day
-maddux is old guys ... you cant be great forever .. up and coming young guy vs old and declining guy. no one has loved maddux over the years more than me ... but by years end he will be michael jordan in a wizards uniform.
-the giants are not exactly world beaters with a bat in their hands ... but in the national league ... the padres lineup is the closest thing to the giants... it is miserable.

after checking umps and wind tomorrow and the number i may also consider an under bet ( maddux ahs pitched decently vs giants in the past and giants are always capable of not scoring ) though i do not like day game unders nearly as much.

This particular bet is my favorite to date of this young season. With all the hate for the giants i suspect the line will move even further to my advantage so i wont actually bet until morning.

rest of plays coming later tonight i hope.

Last edited:
seattle/baltimore over 9.5 ------There are quite a few things to like for the over in this particular game....

-First one of my favorite angles comes in two fold here and that is the "stuff to junk" angle. Both of these teams just saw long innings of the best pitcher the other team has to offer in guthrie and Hernandez. Silva and Cabrera are a notch or two below.

-Day game in that stadium generates a lot more runs than an average game in that stadium

- we have a pretty decent over bias for having O'Nora behind the plate calling balls and strikes. he was a good over unp both in 2006 and 2007. In the only game he called this year , there were 15 runs scored and 11 walks ... yes 11.

-cabrera really struggles with control sometimes and that could hurt if onora indeed calls the game.

--cabrera home era was 6.42 last year

-cabrera struggled with control in his less than stellar season debut with 5 walks in 4 innings

-get two bullpens that i do not have a lot of faith in

-five of seattles major bats hit over .300 against cabrera

-orioles current roster bats .365 against silva

-silva is a run worse in the day as compared to night

-silva is a run and a half worse as a road pitcher ( 3.42 vs 5.03 )

-there is a concern that it has been awhile since the o's have seen silva

-Silva struggles in the small parks on the road especially

-Daniel Cabrera just got rocked last year by the mariners
-2007 vs seattle 18.1 innings , 23 hits , 16 er , 8 walks

so i will be betting this unless there is major wind blowing in tomorrow.

gl with your bets tomorrow. possibly more plays incoming.

BOL vk - great anaylis.

looks like wind is projected to blow in from RF at about 10 mph in the balty/seattle game. still like the chances without that factor

thanks renew ...

thanks for weather tip too. 10mph i cna live with.

further analysis of onora shows that he isnt quite the over ump that i thought he was. I am just remembering last year but checked him out and he isnt a great over guy. So you all might want to take that part of the analysis with a grain of salt

Yep , like I said we think alot alike. Definetly the first play that caught my eye seeing Maddux favored in SF. The Giants lineup is weak and Durham has missed sometime but is back now. I found it laughable that they sat Rowand(bruised ribs) , WInn and Molina today putting out one pathetic lineup when you include Vizquels absence. Could only guess he was trying to make a point doing that when your down 4 starters from an already bad lineup what are you looking for ?

Matt Cain throws gas is an upand comer that is great to fade usually because he is so good and gets cheap numbers except he cant win games alone. So people will continue to back him in unfavorable situations because most of the time he will pitch good and not be the direct result for the loss. Here at home and as a dog to Maddux and a so-so SD lineup seems TASTY.

Next start I would hope people dont get to excited about Ben Sheets because this lineup was a Fn joke and remember this MILW will kill LHP .

Just want to see who actually plays for SF...

The four-time Cy Young Award winner is 5-0 with a 2.83 ERA in nine starts versus the Giants since May 9, 2003. In three starts against San Francisco last season, Maddux went 2-0 with a 1.86 ERA.
The future Hall of Famer lost his first start at AT&T Park in 2000, but has posted a 2.72 ERA in winning his last six starts there.

Another UNDER ?

Cincy hosts Philly:

I would look closely at Philly. Probably one I play. It doesnt take a brain surgeon to realize that Cole Hamels is quickly becoming one of the premier LH SP in the game. The one flaw Cincy could have is versus tough LHP even though I feel its slightly better vs LH this year. Hamels probably sends Junior to the bench with Freel in his place. Freel is 0/7 this year and 1/7 against Hamels lifetime but suprisingly the RH hit just 143 off LH last year. . Griff had a nice day at the plate today but hit something like 235 and 207 last 2 years off LHP and faced Hamels a couple times going 0-2 with bb and 2Ks. The good news is there 2 best hitters have been Keppinger and Phillips so fcar both RH who hit well against LHP (362 and 341 LYR). Only Phillips has faced Hamels going 0-5. The rest of the lineup will probably be Valentin behind the plate if healthy ( hamstring issues) who is 222 BA , 296 OBP and 298 SLG % in his career vs LHP with 3HRs in about 240 atbats. Not a good matchup but worse possibly if the LH Bako goes. Bako not a good hitter to begin with has WORSE numbers then Valentin vs LH's a 171 BA , 221 OBA and 256 SLG%.!!

Hatteberg might play first over Votto. Hard to imagine them letting Votto play against Hamels. Votto a bigtime prospect failed to win the 1st base job that was pratically handed to him in ST is 2/11 so far and Hatteberg is 1/12. Hatteberg doesnt see many LHs usually getting just 35 atbats ( Conine & Aurilia I believe platooned with him in the past) and hot 205 LYR , 237 the previous and about 235 for his career with a 670 OPS. Votto to his credit ws 7/26 with just 2 Ks cs LH last year but just 2 doubles and 1 rbi to speak of.

Encarnacion is key for them vs LH as a RH batter but has struggled so far. Just 2 for 16 he does have the walkoff HR and about 7 bbs so doing some things right. One thing I noticed is most of the Cincy guys havent fared well vs Philly pitching in there careers ( Encarnacion sub 200 but 6 knocks). He did hit 284 vs LH last year after struggling at about 247 to start his career . Dunn only 3/17 so far , 260 in his career off Philly pitching , 241 career vs LHP and 237 , 273 and 197 L3 years off LHP. Leaving Patterson another guy with a . career 179 clip off Philly pitching and hitting .250 at the moment. Patterson is inconsistent hitting 310 LYR (6/11) against LH after 207(4bb/29K) and 169 (5bb/36k)which followed a consecutive 289 marks but only 11 bbs and 68Ks for him. You can see the huge improvement in cutting down strikeouts for him vs LH . Still being a LH facing such a good LH is a negative and his track record shows he can clearly struggle vs them.

The 11 Reds who have faced Hamels in their careers are a combined 4-for-35 with 17 strikeouts.

Most reds hit well in day games but Phillips just 228 Last year would be a concern since he is such a key vs LH.

Arroyo is 1-6 in 7 day starts 5.36 ERA and 326 BAA. His problem here is I think a guy who throws a slurve struggles vs LHB because they usually dont have much of a secondary pitch without some sort of great changeup or maybe forkball , splitter evenhavy sinker. None of which Arroyo possessses.

His 2 years in the NL his night and day splits well have been NIGHT AND DAY occurrences ! See for yourself . LHB are at 282 career vs him compared to 242 and he made some strides last year gettingto about 272 except RHB went from liek 202 to 285 vs him in 2007. . You have Rollins , Utley , Howard , Jenkins to deal with. So not a good situation with his poor day splits and made worse with the abudance of LH hitters Philly has. Last year Philly hit better inday games but Rowand who exceled at 332 10 hrs is gone to SF which is a nice plus for SF backers if he can play. Already this year they have hit better in day games. All 6 returning players hit at least .280 in day games , Feliz 273 and Jenkins 303 (compared to 230 at night) for there respective former teams.

Philly has Lidge back but not sure if he will be available yet in B2B games. Hamels pitched real solid vs Wash 8inn 5 h 1 run but they lost so nice bounce back spot for him. Last year only a slight dropof for Hamels whenhe traveled but did have a couple of rough day starts and thats the only knock him so far. Just 6-5 compared to 18-9 at night. Also 5.14 ERA 1.48 WHIP and 278 BAA compared to 3.03 ERA , 1.05 WHIP and 218 BAA. I am guessing the few bad starts he has in his career have come in day games but he has struggled in some interleague starts as well @ Cle , @ Balt and vs TB while only four or 5 NL teams evenhave ERAs slightily above 4 vs him and his 1st strat atWrigley was teribble in 2006 2 inn 9 hits , 9runs and 5 earned. The key is @ Great American he has been excellent. His ML debut there 5 innings just 1 hit , noruns , 5bb and 7Ks and then last April complete game , 5hitter 1 run , 2bb and 15ks. Though both were at night.

On paper its a great matchup for Hamels and a bad one for Arroyo. Cincy doesnt have Ross at catcher which would be an upgrade , they have lost super subs like Aurilia and Conine past few seasons and traded Lopez and Kearns all guys hwo contributed from the RH side...

Just hope the price stays relatively cheap after reds played well . Hamels was -140 in the past @ CIncy facing Ramirez and Milton so Idont want to pay above 150 really...

Others -

Pirates will have trouble vs LH pitching with J. Wilson and Sanchez not playing have to check there status. They only managed i earned off hendrickson but the new DP duo of Rivas and Gomez has produced bioth went 3-5 yesterday and 3 of 9 Saturday as Gomez has always hit LH well.

Like I said hard to back SEA but would you want to ride Cabrera? Over possibly
?

Looking at CHI balanced lineup and there momentum from a 3 game sweep of DET and there home opener they look real cheap to me. The Twins have struggled to scoe and now they go on the road and Blackburn makes his 1st road start and his relief appearances last year away dont look so good. If it gets to 8.5 and over will be enticing. He was good vs LAA because he got LH out which he didnt do last year can he do it again? Vazquez was okay his 1st game and Morneau heating up hi s him well. LHB will be the key and besides the M&M boys and Kubel role players Lamb and Tolbert could see action . That was JJvys downfall vs CLE the inability to get there LH out.

Houston -120 at home for there opener a nice edge with Wandy being HOME and Wellenmeyer getting much respect on the road. Wellenmeyer is probably no more then a 6 inning guy at this point and thhis is one stacked HOU lineup.

Yanks -190 ? Moose was a pitch or two away from stayinmg out from trouble but that is osmething maybe often said with him this year. There is truth to it though as I believe there was a tight zone and an error possibly in his last start. Guys like Moose cant win with tight zones they need the Glavine expanded version . Hammel despite terrible career splits pitched well in both his starts at the Stadium last year but only went as deep as five innings. Real cold weather might call for another UNDER seems to be the way to figure out Yankee totals or hitting at least.

LAA +110 ? Simply thinking of fading CLE vs LHP . Danks and Eveland shut down there offense and while Buerhle was ripped he was held back 2 or 3 days just so they could start a LH in that series and it backfired IMO. To much rest probably left him flat and his routine messed up.

Guess I will be back tmrw to chat some more and talk about what I DID play...GL bro:cheers::shake:

Vazquez was dirty last year vs the twins. Outside of him the twins really killed us. We been swinging the bats great and showing that 04/05/06 swagger. Cell should be rocking since we come in 1st in AL Central.

I dont lay chalk but thought i get more value in
redir
. Prolly just watch or hope twins go up 1-0 or something and get an ingame bet in on CWS.

ok so now i have an under i want to discuss.

indians/angels under 9 ------ the following is why i am considering a play on the under in this game.

-First davantage is we are playing at night in a big stadium , though both pitchers dont seem to have an overwhelming preference between and day and night

-saunders has pitched well against the indians. in last years start he went 6.2 innings , allowed just 4 hits and 1 run.

-saunders has pitched well in april ... 1.96 era last year in about 18 innings and he continued that trend with a good outing in his first start this year.

-cleveland is just not seeing the ball well at the plate right now. Their batting average is low and what they are hitting .... is singles. only 10 doubles and 4 hr thru six games

- i dont like cleveland vs lefties
-Coming into this game , Carmona rates as having the best stuff that the angels will have faced to date. Some could argue millwood right now ... but they didnt hit millwood either.

-vlad is off to a slow start

-to make it worse for vlad ... i cannot find an at bat against carmona ..... tough to hit this guy when you havent seen him before. Now with vlad ... the guy can hit the ball off the bounce it seems .. very good at putting wood to the ball no matter where its pitched ... so not sure how that plays out .. but certainly hurts vlads chances to get to carmona early

-in fact the angels as a team have not seen him much. 29 at bats , just 7 hits and none for extras.

-carmona has pitched well in april. last april he gave up 2 earned runs or less in 3 of 4 april starts.

-both pitchers are coming off dominating performances and should have confidence.

-both pitchers avoid trouble and get out of trouble. What i mean by that is that they dont walk a ton of guys, they throw strikes .... and when guys are on the get double plays ... two very solid ground ball pitchers.

-carmona eats innings. in his 32 starts last year i think he failed to pitch 6 innings or more in just 3 ... 4 if i missed one. so can count on him for innings and less likely to get the bp screw job.

So what i am looking at boils down to two hot pitchers vs two lineups that have seen very little of them and what they have seen they havent hit well. playing in a big park, at night when the ball does not carry as well. On paper it looks like a nice bet.

concern with the bet is that saunders has not pitched well at home in this park.

so still need to check weather and umpire but it looks like a bet.

Had some more on this one for you but i spilled diet coke all over my notes. think i got most of it in here though.

Also, was gonna do a writeup on hamels and the phils but sportsnut has a more orgainized version of what i was gonna say ... and a few extra details that i had not even taken into account. I believe almost all the at bats mentioned in that post from nut were in one game ... a complete game pitched by hamels last april in cincy .. 5 hits 1 er. cincy cant hit lefties at all ... no need to elaborate more on what nut posted about this game. i will be on the phillies tomorrow.

have some smaller leans on over in the braves/rockies mostly based on hitters past success vs the starters ..... under in the twins game... a few angles there but enough concerns that i likely lay off

not much else interests me at this point ... so looks like phillies , under cleveland.angels , over sea/bal , and the giants. ... and maybe over in colorado.

thanks renew, nut , brewer , centex , ramble for contributions to the thread and anyone else who posted while i was typing this shit with sticky soda everywhere.

luv that halo/tribe under. ball does not carry at the Big A at night, especially when the air's moist...as it's been.

btw...i gave up betting on Cain last season. it was unreal. at least 6 or 7 times i was on him, he threw a fuckin gem...only to be blown by the pen.

btw...i gave up betting on Cain last season. it was unreal. at least 6 or 7 times i was on him, he threw a fuckin gem...only to be blown by the pen.

aint this a fact ... it was amazing ... no run support and no bp support ... game after game ... i had a few of those too , yanks. Feel your pain on betting on him. Still , he cant be hardluck forever ... his stuff is just nasty.

Also to be clear .... after i saw what they came out with for the total in that giant game i have been priced off wanting to bet it . Wont be on that total

great work VK ! very informative & impressive !:smiley_abcs:
good luck man ! :shake:

Kyle...youre like a human sports encyclopedia...

Good luck today. Im all over the Gnt's myself today as well.:tiphat:

official plays

sea/bal over 9.5 +102
giants +102
phillies -145
clev/angel under 8.5 -117

numbers got worse for me overnight. oh well , not gonna cry about it..instead i am just gonna go back to sleep. good luck today everyone .

here's your Reds Lineup

Business Man's Special Lineup

Ryan Freel CF
Juan Castro SS
Brandon Phillips 2B
Adam Dunn LF
Jeff Keppinger 1B
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Norris Hopper RF
Paul Bako C
Bronson Arroyo P

The Phillies are throwing left-hander Cole Hamels. Phillies lineup is the same as yesterday's, except for Hamels.

The Reds are leading the NL with 54 strikeouts in six games. They haven't led the league in strikeouts since 1992. That, in fact, is only time since 1967 the led the NL.

GL to all

Well it was easy for 8 2/3 innings guess there had to be some drama...Phillies win 5-3!! Passed on both earlier games gonna be on SF and possible the WSOX but not cray about that price...:cheers:

Good Luck with SFG on it myself for 1.5 units but cautious about this game.

Cain was awesome vs SD but still was 0-5 in those starts after winning 3 of 4 in 2006.

Key LHB for SD vs him
Giles 3/20
Gonzo 5/26
Edmonds never faced

RHB:
Iguchu never faced
Kouz 1/12
Greene 6/23 4 Hrs
Hairston 1/8 HR 4Ks
Barrett 1/12 5Ks

Fuckin 17 for 101! Thats beyond insane. Some concern that Cain threw 113 pitches in his 1st start over 5+ innings. So many pitches in so few innings equals a LABORING START regardless of results. Last year he went 90 his 1st start but after that was quickly above 110 for the next 3 starts and dominanting which quieted some of my concern.

Maddux was great in day starts last year and vs SF past 2 years. Neither guy gets hit much. SF w/o Durham and Winn here will leave Roberts , Rowand and Molina as the keys here. Cain was about -120/-125 vs Maddux last year at home and SD won 4-2. So the opening line may have not been that cray after all since SF is clearly weaker then last year. Neither team is hiiting much SD 22runs in 7 games and SFG 12 runs in 6 but SF was away and SD home. Maddux also didnt pitch that poorly versus Hous it was the fact he allowed 3 solo Hrs.

Gonna ride the DESPERATE SFG in there home opener but they could be worse then we envision. :cheers:

Nice analysis on the SD/SF game.

I think Cain should have a good showing being that this is the golden anniversary of the Giants in SF. Maddux & the SD bullpen should be able to control an already weak SF lineup.

I'm on the under... even if hile does think it's in Petco.

GL VK

BC: That was something way to funny about that total today and how it was moving. Seemed like the easiest UNDER ever and I just didnt like how it moved and they allow 3 runs in the first. Which another reason I was hestitant about backing SF , if runs were going to be scored then my best asset Cain was gonna be neutralized . Didnt see how that SF lineup could rock any SP at this point. Was gonna play the SD first to score prop and pussed out...oh well...I hope they repeat the Peavy/Penny game from a few days back for ya...BOL:shake:

I hope they repeat the Peavy/Penny game from a few days back for ya...BOL

A 3-run 1st inning didn't resemble the Penny/Peavy matchup... haha

I've got a shitty lineup, two decent SP's, two under-prone teams, wind blowing in at 20mph, and I am still sweating this... 6-1 in the 8th... at least I got 8 so I can spare a run and push.

Well my concerns were correct SF is worse then WE thought they were and especially when Durham and Winn dont start. So happy I passed on the Cubbies and WSox...or not !

6 more outs !!! get em !!

Took Houston with Wandy at home and fading STL vs a LH SP who I mistakenly thought they did well against.

Took NYY -1.5 RL and probably should have laid the price instead...but smaller play....Hammel hasnt pitched since 3/25 I believe and know he has to pitch in NY. Not a great matchup despite his 2 decent outings last year in NYY. NYY is playing to NOT lose a series to TB something they have emphasised in the past ( winning series) , fading TBhaving a winning road trip already 3-2 , and banking on Moose against wa weaker lineup then Tors being able to escape a jam or two. Posada and Giambi out helps the under along with the weather . Betemit playing good defense at first...just think NYY has to score 5 or 6 here and would hope its 3 or 4 at best for TB..

Looks 1-1 up 8th inning in LAA...didnt get a chance to play one since I wasnt home for it...overall great day in MLB , Philly , NYY -1.5 , Houston all cashed lost on SFG but wasnt suprised . Also had Under @ COL like I mentioned in the overnight thread weather seemed condusive for an under , had a small play on Florida as well....even my leands did well..happy man !!

GL tmrw !

I'm glad Atl's pen decided to blow the one-run lead they held all game long! They couldn't give up just one run or three runs or five runs; no, Atl's pen had to surrender just enough runs to fuck my ML bet on them. At least the under 10 cashed to help ease the pain, but damn does it blow to lose like that.

Kyle I was on that disaster in Anaheim with you. 2-1 game going into the 9th win the Angels pen and the final is 6-4! You got to be kidding me.

Sorry bro...unbelievable a 1-1 game gets turned into 6-4 in 1 lousy inning thats beyond belief...feel stupid for even commenting on it...

The state of the BULLPENS is hands down the worst I have ever seen in my life. Definetly the past 10-15 years....I said to myself looking at some of the pens when I was glancing over teams 25 man rosters as ST ended are some of these teams Fn kidding?

Well Seattle blew another game , ATL has blown a few, Philly tried real hard to blow the early game and now 7 FN runs in the 9thinning of a 1-1 game ! Gonna take alot for me to like an UNDER as I lose a few already or pushed that were 1-1 or scoreless for a good 6 innings...

1-3 today minus 2.17 units.

giants ... didnt get the pitching i expected.
sea/bal ... couldnt muster any runs down the stretch
phils ..... hung on
indians/angels .... eventually a pea-sized strike zone like that creates runs. 13 walks 5 in the ninth inning alone.

will have to get it back tomorrow.

updated baeball record
updated baseball record

season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 6-1 +4.75
dogs 6-9 -1.37
overs 1-1 EVEN
unders 1-1-1 -0.17 units

yeah it was ugly. just have to start capping tomorrow , cant worry about that stuff too much .. likely gonna average around 3 bets a day for the next several months. eventually we are on the good side of a wierd game like that. sorry for any who might have tailed today.

yeah it was ugly. just have to start capping tomorrow , cant worry about that stuff too much .. likely gonna average around 3 bets a day for the next several months. eventually we are on the good side of a wierd game like that. sorry for any who might have tailed today.
No doubt we will win one like that in upcoming games. Never remember those though, lol.

Last edited:
For Tuesday have interest in Texas in the day starts or should I say the most interest. There is definetly a nice situational edge to backing NYM being that Philly swept them twice in SEPT and ruined there season winning those 7 games . Price will be the deciding factor for me . Like that NY was off today while Philly had to leave Cincy. The Yanks are somewhat tough as I rode them the last 2 games. Jeter seems doubtful and not sure of Giambis status . However we finally have depth . Betemit at SS and Ensberg at 1st base isnt so bad. Clearly having Giambi back though is a plus. Hard to honestly see value in NYY with Bannister looking sharp and NY going from night game to day game in a different time zone. Low scoring?? Boston and Detriot. One team is finally home after touring the globe Florida to Japan to Cali tto Toronto and finally in Boston. Dice K looked sharp last meeting and Rogers was solid . Possible UNDER? Is Det rememdy getting away from home? Might be if Boston is still flat from the travel as the bats are whispering...

Thats all so far getting some zzzzzz

Back