RetroVK

This claim is disputed
season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 17-13 +1.67 units
dogs 20-17 +8.02units
overs 2-3-1 -1.00 units
unders 8-3-1 +4.58 units

ok here is what i am looking at for monday..........

giants/dbacks under 9 ----Seems to me we have a nice low scoring game matchup here. Owings is off to an incredible start this year including a dominating performance against these very giants. Owings is 3-0 and has pitched atleast 6 innings in every single start. He has allowed just 5 er and 12 hits in 19.2 innings pitched. He is also striking a lot of guys out with 19 in those 19.2 innings. He has had great success vs the giants roster which bats just .164 against the guy in 61 AB. And as bad as the giants lineup is in general it is even worse against lefties this year where they bat just .206 as a team. Hard to fathom them rocking owings here .... so it should be an easy bet on the dbacks right ?? Well not really ... they are a huge favorite at home and i think we all know the dangers of laying runlines with home teams. And they just have not had much success vs Correia. They bat just .205 off the guy in 78 AB and Correia has looked pretty decent as well to start this year. He gave up two ding dongs in the game vs zona earlier this year for 4 of the 5 runs he allowed in that game. but over 6 innings he gave up just 3 other hits and 3 free passes. And as good as the zona offense has been it has not been nearly as good against righthanded starters where they bat just .261 as a team. In his one road start this year Correia pitched very well against the brewers though they also touched him for two homers. So I dont see why Correia should not have success here. If he can manage to keep the ball in the park or atleast limit the homer to a solo shot he should be just fine. Prefer the under to any other options here , and it is likely my favorite play for monday... though without umpire info yet it is always difficult to say for sure.

Cardinals +100 -- Once again we have stud ( or close to ) right handed pitcher up against that brewer lineup that just cant seem to hit them. Brewers are batting just .226 vs all righties and i think wainwright has better stuff than your average run of the mill righthanded pitcher. In a previous game to milwaukee this year , wainwright went 7.2 innings , 1 hit , 1 er ...... so he has confidence vs these guys already as well. Not suprisingly Wainwright has nice numbers against the brewer roster where they manage to hit him at a .225 clip in 79 AB while walking only 8 times and homering only once. In addition Wainwright has shown good early control to keep the brewers off the bases via the free pass. He has gone 7 innings or more in all 3 starts and has given up 2, 4 , and 1 er in those starts. Pretty impressive. The cards are also coming off a home spanking to the giants which has to sit in their stomachs a little bit. They have not looked comfortable at the plate the last two games but i think they will be ok here vs Villanueva. In 16 innings to start this year villanueva has given up 23 hits and 11 er and has given up 7 BB. So while Wainwright has started well , villanueva has not. In addition , the cards rocked him last time .... he went just 4,2 innings , gave up 8 hits and allowed 5 earned runs. Also ... Pujols owns this guy .... 7/18 with 2 hr. Love that after two not so pujols- like games vs sfgiants. Cardinals are batting .289 off of righties this year and see no reason why they cant do similar here. Really , you are asking both teams to perform differently than what past performance would indicate here in order for the brewers to win. So I will take my chances with the more likely scenario as i see it and bet the cards.

rockies -110 --Redman pitched well in 2 of his 3 starts this year , giving up just 2er in each of those games. He was roughed up a little in his start vs the dbacks but Arizona is lighting up just about every lefty they see so i suppose i can cut Redman some slack there as well. As a team the phillies bat just .212 off of Redman and it is even less if you were to throw out jimmy rollins who wont be playing. As good as the phillies lineup is they have not hit lefties particularly well , averaging around .226 as a team. They just won an emotional game at home , at night , against their arch rivals the mets and now must travel several time zones to face the rockies. So it is a bad spot for them as well. Redman has not gone long innings so far this year and that would be my once concern as rockies bullpen has to be hurting a bit right now after lots of action the last week. Kyle Kendrick takes the hill for the phillies and while it is always dangerous to bet against anyone named kyle , i think there is good reason here. Now the rockies have only seen kendrick a few times , so this has to be taken with somewhat of a grain of salt ...... but when they have seen him,,,, they have hit him. They bat .364 as a team against him and have hit for 5 extra base hits in just 33 AB. In his two road starts this year, kendrick has failed to go more than 5 innings in either game.... combined 7.1 innings 12 hits and allowed 11 runs , though only 5 of those were earned runs. He has struggled throwing strikes all year and that could hurt him even more in the thin air of colorado. He has issued 9 walks in just 14.1 innings pitched. It gets worse ... the rockies love to see righthanders. Barmes, Holliday , tavares , atkins , helton all bat atlest .280 vs righties this year . I stated in an earlier thread , i dont think this guy is still in the rotation for this team come summer time.. Lots of good indicators pointing to a play on the rockies here and i did it.

i have already played all three of these games ... official plays post incoming. There is a chance that i could get a bad umpire for the total but i dont see this number doing anything but getting worse so i went ahead and bet it ... and pray that i get an under guy for the game.

Have a small lean to pittsburgh and the over in the same game but i dont trust those two offenses enough to go over a 9.5 and since i like the pitt side a little it means over 9.5 in 8.5 innings played. So I laid off the total .... waiting to see how the line moves but maybe if pitt somehow becomes even money or plus money it might be worth it ... hard team to invest in right now though..... likely passing ... just sort of thinking out loud here.

Congrats on SF win yesterday... Fucking Looper did not show up.. Good for you bad for me..

Like your thoughts on the Cardinals today.. Funny how this has worked out. The Cards face the Brewers in two series in the L10 days and do not face Sheets, Suppan or now healthly Gallardo in any game.. Yet the Cards throw their best two Wainwright, Lohse in both series... More interested in the afternoon game on Tuesday.

How do the Cards react today after the beat down over the weekend? I do think they bounce back but no play for me...

Most underrated SP staff in MLB= SF Giants.... Probably some value there for awhile..

Note: Mulder pitched 6 shutout innings in AA game Sunday and looked very sharp with fastball reaching the 90's.. He'll be back in 3 weeks and I suspect either Looper or Pineiro is odd man out of rotation.. Cards will have some starters to trade and I hope they get a shortstop that can hit..

Changed my mind.. just put in 4 units on the cards @ -105.. Not going to start my own thread so documenting here if you don't mind.. Very good value and these are the spots I am going to play..

GL today VK:cheers:

santa - thanks for the edit

tee - thanks bud . I think we have value with them today. i would think it would be piniero that is the odd man out but laRussa suprises me sometimes with what he does and unlike the manuels or bakers of the world he is usually right. Will be interesting to see what happens ... any word on carpenter progress ??

My one concern today is that the cardinals have not looked particularly comfortable at the plate the last 18 innings.

BTW your future is looking ALOT better than mine is to start the year ... really hope the reds bats are just slumping right now ... otherwise i have miscapped the team. Pitching is as expected atleast. .... Especially the bullpen improvement.

gl to us today

Changed my mind.. just put in 4 units on the cards @ -105.. Not going to start my own thread so documenting here if you don't mind.. Very good value and these are the spots I am going to play..

GL today VK:cheers:

Copied from a PM to another poster in case anyone is interested in my reasoning today:

Will likely play the cards the next two days as I love the pitching matchups in both..

Look at Wainwright's numbers at Miller Park.. Brewers are batting .193 off of him.

I need to watch the Brewers much more closely but I think there will be value against them when Sheets or Gallardo are not pitching..

At even money I have a clear pitching advantage and a Cardinal lineup that should hit Villanueva who has been horrible this year. 16 IP, 23 hits 11ER. Cards pounded him for 8 hits in 4 innings LW and I expect more of the same. And as I said I am fading the Brewers when Sheets or Gallardo are not pitching..

Also, I think the Cards offense will be inconsistent this year as we have seen so far.. Some games good and some games bad.. I take note when the Cards have faced three legit pitchers in a row (Cain -who they hit hard, Linecum, Sanchez) and then face a pitcher that is a downgrade from the previous run.. Good hitters hit bad pitchers especially when they haven't seen one in awhile..

... any word on carpenter progress ??

Tracking it closely.. Not a single setback yet.. From cards beatwriter:

Staff ace Chris Carpenter is ready to take the next step in his rehab: throwing live batting practice. Once he clears that hurdle, he could start pitching for real in minor league games. It’s early, but the Cards are getting every indication he will return to the big leagues during the summer.

very good point teedub ... i call it the "stuff to junk" angle and have mentioned a few times in my threads. It is an especially good angle for totals when two teams have just seen the opposing aces and then face off against guys who have fastballs that top out at 87 mph and/or doesnt have the movement that they just had to deal with the day before. The ball just looks a lot bigger.

"stuff to junk" Like it.. Never heard it called that before.

Can work the opposite way also "junk to stuff" if you will, although doesn't apply here as Harang was pretty salty yesterday against the Brewers.. I see it alot with Wainwright though. (also Sheets).. Bet Wainwright against a team that has faced his type in a awhile.. Not many pichers out there have the sharp 12-6 curveball Wainwright possesses (ask Carlos Beltran) and it can be a big factor to adjust to..

Good thread..:shake:

GL VK and Tee...

Enjoyed the comments...

Had SF myself yesterday and remember Tee saying he liked SF in the series but passed. I realize he played STL yesterday as well type of thing I have been doing lately...eyeball play and then let the numbers change my mind OR in my case manipulate the numbers to change my mind...the human mind!

Anyway went with MILW..I agree with alot of what you are saying. I like VKs comment about his concern with STL bats cause its not easy to break out of funks especially when they started better then expected..love the junk to stuff angle and also use the 2nd time in a week theory...tough for the same SP to beat the same team and same SP in a weeks time IMO...backing Villanueva is he had some success vs STL previously....

I have to go play ball be back later...wish you guys GL...:shake:

Nice win on Cards although they are struggling at the plate as VK correctly pointed out...Concerning for me as I decided today I was playing both games in Mil. Looking at it harder now.

Nut doesn't miss much.. I did say I liked the Giants in the series at plus money but talked myself out of it..:hang:

Note to Brewer backers: you have serious problems at the back end of your bullpen and you aren't hitting in the middle of the lineup.. Fade material for me sans Gallardo and Sheets starts. Disappointing club IMO..

Getting closer to fulltime mode in MLB. Still gathering.. I will be active on the Giants when the rotation turns over again.. Think there is value there.. Cubs are fooling everyone and the value is about to kick again against them... Just what I am seeing guys..

alex , sportsnut :cheers:

tee- agree with you about value on the giants ... i think i may have more bets on them so far this year than any other club..... losing a little bit on them so far but the lines on some of these giant games have been ridiculous imo.

jpicks -- np jpicks. You liked the dbacks at ml or rl ... so that would have come in for ya as well , or may have if you bet it also. I try to read all the mlb ingames , even when i did not participate in them each day , cause sometimes there is some good mlb discussion for the next day in them. Correia did exactly what we both thought ... pitched well but gave up the longball.... Still think there was more value and less sweat and juice to the under as compared to the side.

ok we had a decent day today going 2-1 and netting a 1.00 unit profit.

cards -- my worries came to fruition for this game as the cards bats were a bit silent... but wainwright did his job and the game ended up being decided by the bullpens ... cards score one off turnbow in top of 9th and isringhausen closes it out for the win and a 1.05 unit dog win.

rockies -- once again my worries about the bet came to fruition , only this time it cost me the money. The rockies got out to the early lead 3-0 , gave up two to make it 3-2 , then pulled ahead 5-2 , ...... and then after redman gave up two more it was necessary to rely on the bullpen of the rockies to stop the phillies offense. Knew going in that this unit has been taxed heavily of late and unfortunately they couldnt come through as the phillies went nuts on them and won by a final of 9-5. a net loser on a favorite of 1.05 units.

giants/dbacks under 9 -- owings pitched and hit well ( 2-3 ) and correia did what we expected ... he pitched decently but gave up the ding dongs..... a solo shot and a two run shot. Brandon Lyon came in and closed the door for us in the ninth. Happy to collect this winner for an under bet win of 1.00 units ...... and also locking us into a 1.00 unit profit for the day.

will be back later with tomorrows thoughts but i can tell you now , despite the large card , i dont like much.

updated baseball record

season record to date:
future - reds over 77 wins 1150 to win 1000
favorites 17-14 +0.62 units
dogs 21-17 +9.07units
overs 2-3-1 -1.00 units
unders 9-3-1 +5.58 units

Back