Time to post april 6 baseball

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Welcome to another baseball season for all of us. We have a lot of hard working guys and a lot of solid handicappers in here. Together we should make some decent coin this year. For my part , in an effort to increase overall profit , I am attempting to push some of my smaller edges this year. This likely means more fluctuation , more games played and a lower overall winning percentage but it should also mean more money in my pocket. I will be betting two units on all games that would have qualified as a play last year and one unit on all games where I am pushing the smaller edge this year. So for those of you dumb enough to tail my picks , the two unit plays are ones that will have qualified over the last bunch of years. Spring thru fall are my times of the year for handicapping for profit ( basketball and hockey are not for my wallet ) and I hope that continues this year.
With the CTG brown-nosing out of the way lets look at my first recommended plays of 2009.

Two unit recommendations
Washington nationals at Florida Marlins under 8 -110/first 5inn under 4.5 -115 ( 1 unit each )

One unit recommendations
Seattle Mariners +135 hernandez vs liriano
Texas rangers +114 lee vs millwood
Kansas City Royals +125 meche vs buehrle

Nats/fish under 8 -110 -- There is almost too much to like here in a lot of ways and this is by far my favorite play of the first big card of baseball. John Lannan has proven to be a warrior on the mound and is rightfully the opening day ace of the nats staff. He is coming off his worst outing of the spring where he admits he was unable to keep his pitches down and in the zone , falling behind hitters. Previous to that outing he had given up just 3 earned runs in 18 innings of spring ball. I know it is something I preach on almost a daily basis when it comes to baseball but not having seen a pitcher is a huge detriment to hitters and that is actually the case here with the marlins. They have a combined four AB against lannan ( 0 hits ) and when up against a stud of his caliber , early in the season for the hitter … that plays well for the under. Lannan rarely strings bad outings together and is one of the most consistent pitchers in the league at this point. He keeps his pitches down and the ball inside the park. This is important with the big wall in left. Lannan also was an excellent April pitcher last year. Marlins hit around ..233 vs left handers last year and as mentioned this is a solid lefty they havent seen before. In addition , Lannan is both a better pitcher away from home and during the day. His daytime Era is half a run lower than at night and he is an incredible 1.68 runs better away from home. He is a warrior. The Marlins trot ricky nolasco out there. Nolasco is coming off of 7 innings of no hit baseball against the tigers where he struck out 8. In march he pitched 15 innings , yielding just 5 hits and 1 earned run. As a team the nationals bat just .186 against this dude and have just one ding dong in 70 AB while striking out 17 times. Given current form of nolasco , early season advantage to the pitcher , and being on the road , I don’t see that history making a u-turn here. Last year vs. Washington he pitched 13 innings , gave up just 7 hits and three earned runs. I can see Nolasco having a special year. I expect two pretty dominating performances from these guys in this game. One thing we should always remember about totals betting is that ( as a general rule ) both teams need to score in order for a game to go over the total. I have a hard time expecting either guy to get rocked. There is always the bullpen concerns and for that reason I split the two unit play into first 5 innings and full game.

I am still capping out this card and any remaining plays will be posted later in this window unless it is added after first pitch has been thrown monday. pet peave of mine when posted plays posts are edited after first pitch , tip off , kickoff , faceoff etc etc ....

good luck everyone

Last edited:
BOL tomorrow VK. I'll be reading daily hoping to learn how to cap baseball. Appreciate your thoughts as always.

there he is. ive gotta say I agree with ya on those plays. hope that doesnt hurt ya with my luck. BOL VK

Certainly like the Rangers. Royals should have some bright spots this year, heard they are postponed until Tues.

Good luck this season VK. Liking Tex and your Was/Fla Under. Lannan and Nolasco are a couple "hidden value" guys I've got my eye on.....Lannan most likely only on the road though...he was clearly a better pitcher away from DC.

No taveras and no dickerson in the opening day lineup for redlegs. Will be a good barometer on how they may handle lefties with the lefty shade to their everyday lineup...

Reds ml anyway though :)

Gl tomorrow bro

Good Luck bro....

Cant say I would disagree with much . Only thing is I like how Meche is pitching but think Buerhle and the WSox are going to win . I recall KC really struggling away vs LHSP and not sure Soria is as good as last year or in form either ...however I clearly understand the attraction to the play....and its rained out as well..lol

:cheers:

Well , nothing like starting hte year with a postponement. obviously the royals bet will be void.

fondy -- thank you sir

jpicks -- would hardly say i am good enough to teach but some of my favorite angles are in this very thread. batter v pitcher , day/night home/away splits , familiarity of pitcher , current form ..etc etc. Some of those angles are very solid for baseball.

renew -- glad to have your agreement mr renew. still doing the building stuff down there ?

tendog -- saw your thread , like most of those dogs. thanks for stopping in my thread bud

scarf -- i think part of that road/home disparity is lannan toughness. He shows up to win and probably bears down more on the road where he expects less from his offense.

cogenman -- amen to that.

bar -- I don't know what buy shamwow you mean

grump -- yeah i actually leaned towards mets but obviously wont lay that price. Worried harang cant get wright out. Might be biased from the amount of coin i lost via harang last year.

nut -- yup kc does struggle some vs the lefthanders but i just think that the royals do that more against the strikeout type of lefties .. buehrle is more the pitch to contact type. 31.2 ip 35 hits 14 er vs him last year ,, though a lot of the offense came in one bad away start for buehrle. Buehlre has struggled recently on his first start of the year the last couple. meche didnt have a great spring but was rounding into form the last few appearances.

yup VK - just finished my 2nd House this past week. Family got screwed by contractors... but they are happy with the results now. I dont really do much of the harder stuff since a lot of our volunteers are skilled or do it for a living (contractors/plumbers/electricians). Still enjoying it, probably doing it for 1 more year.

Good stuff. Good luck! With you on that Nationals/Marlins Under for 1 unit. Also was on the Royals. Lots of good info on that under, a good play; now let's hope it hits like it should.

yup VK - just finished my 2nd House this past week. Family got screwed by contractors... but they are happy with the results now. I dont really do much of the harder stuff since a lot of our volunteers are skilled or do it for a living (contractors/plumbers/electricians). Still enjoying it, probably doing it for 1 more year.

admire the shit out of you for your work there. better man than most of us

Good stuff. Good luck! With you on that Nationals/Marlins Under for 1 unit. Also was on the Royals. Lots of good info on that under, a good play; now let's hope it hits like it should.

umpire is the concern right now ... not a believer in fading umpire tendencies so if we can get neutral or better we should be just fine.

VK GL this season hopefully you stick around for the whole season this year

likely bailing around callups at first sign of negative flux. Traditionally that is how it has gone for me and there is no point in fighting it. The lineup changes and pennant races contribute to inadequacies in my capping .. some of the fantasy baseball guys like fondy and them have better understanding of the guys in the minors that get called up late in the season. Also begin concentrating on college football/nfl and baseball capping suffers i think. Just hope to have another good year like last few seasons and i will be happy with that. i should probably just check my history and not wait for the negative fluctuation and stop at a certain date.

Yes sir, recently saw it for the first time. Really enjoyed it - that ~10 minute scene where he goes up 9 mil and then loses it all is amazing.

my favorite scene is where he is mad about the price of the bag...... classic gambler mentality right there. loved that if you remember what i am talking about.

i love that movie.

When will we now who the home plate umpire is? Don't these get announced already?

we should know about an hour or half hour before the game or so .. shorty gwarner herewego rex timh or someone i am forgetting usually gets the stalking threads up. just hop in there.

my favorite scene is where he is mad about the price of the bag...... classic gambler mentality right there. loved that if you remember what i am talking about.

i love that movie.

Yep - where its free for customers but the woman charges him $5 since he isn't.

That's maybe as close to the real thing as a movie has ever gotten. Hoffman really sold it the whole way.

after that it rotates so the guy calling first base will be behind the plate the next game.

Yep - where its free for customers but the woman charges him $5 since he isn't.

That's maybe as close to the real thing as a movie has ever gotten. Hoffman really sold it the whole way.

:36_11_6: yup .. really related to the guy at that point.

Ok, thanks for the reminder as I could not remember the rotation. So the guy at first is always the guy on deck as far as home plate. OK. The more I look at that Seattle game I like it, still liking the under too.

Ok, thanks for the reminder as I could not remember the rotation. So the guy at first is always the guy on deck as far as home plate. OK. The more I look at that Seattle game I like it, still liking the under too.

i like the under too. mauer out , ichiro out so basically the best hitter on both teams ( not to mention the only two hitters for either team with success against hernandez or liriano in the past ). Hernandez is in great form but i have a problem here in that i like the mariners side more ... and the number is 7.5 and since i need a mariners win that is a 7.5 over a full nine innings in the american league. Better spots for under money for me at other points i think but i can see the love for it. small concern on lirianos april last year too though that is prolly more to do with returning from injury than anything else.

likely bailing around callups at first sign of negative flux. Traditionally that is how it has gone for me and there is no point in fighting it. The lineup changes and pennant races contribute to inadequacies in my capping .. some of the fantasy baseball guys like fondy and them have better understanding of the guys in the minors that get called up late in the season. Also begin concentrating on college football/nfl and baseball capping suffers i think. Just hope to have another good year like last few seasons and i will be happy with that. i should probably just check my history and not wait for the negative fluctuation and stop at a certain date.

well, we need a guy like you to stick around but GL with whatever you chose. Join the contest again this year too :cheers:

If these Yahoo stats are correct appears none of the Twins batters have faced Hernandez, is this right? Limited at bats for the most part against Liriano. I think I will stay away from the under here, as the Mauer out also could hurt the pitching and calling the game. Think I will join you here on the Mariners.

Just wanted to drop in and say GL VK.. I played the Nats/Fish 1st 5 UNDER as well.. May not make sense but I mainly bet 1st fives UNDER and full games OVER.. Just makes sense to me and I don't trust bull pens to keep it locked down. I rarely play full games because of that alone

If these Yahoo stats are correct appears none of the Twins batters have faced Hernandez, is this right? Limited at bats for the most part against Liriano. I think I will stay away from the under here, as the Mauer out also could hurt the pitching and calling the game. Think I will join you here on the Mariners.

twins vs hernandez
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=20></TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width=130>OPPOSING HITTER</TD><TD width=35>AB</TD><TD width=35>H</TD><TD width=35>2B</TD><TD width=35>3B</TD><TD width=35>HR</TD><TD width=35>RBI</TD><TD width=35>BB</TD><TD width=35>SO</TD><TD width=50>BA</TD><TD width=50>OBP</TD><TD width=50>SLG</TD><TD width=50>OPS</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Joe Mauer</TD><TD class=sortcell>14</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>.571</TD><TD>.647</TD><TD>.929</TD><TD>1.576</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Justin Morneau</TD><TD class=sortcell>14</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>.143</TD><TD>.250</TD><TD>.143</TD><TD>.393</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Michael Cuddyer</TD><TD class=sortcell>12</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.077</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.077</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Delmon Young</TD><TD class=sortcell>7</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>.143</TD><TD>.143</TD><TD>.143</TD><TD>.286</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Jason Kubel</TD><TD class=sortcell>6</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>.333</TD><TD>.333</TD><TD>.333</TD><TD>.667</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Joe Crede</TD><TD class=sortcell>4</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>.250</TD><TD>.250</TD><TD>.250</TD><TD>.500</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Nick Punto</TD><TD class=sortcell>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.333</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.333</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Alexi Casilla</TD><TD class=sortcell>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.000</TD><TD>.000</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>Totals</TD><TD>64</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>.219</TD><TD>.306</TD><TD>.297</TD><TD>.602</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just wanted to drop in and say GL VK.. I played the Nats/Fish 1st 5 UNDER as well.. May not make sense but I mainly bet 1st fives UNDER and full games OVER.. Just makes sense to me and I don't trust bull pens to keep it locked down. I rarely play full games because of that alone

and lose all the drama that the bullpen brings ???? smart man.

most people named crimson are smart :)

Maybe it's living in ATL for so many years but no BP can be trusted with any lead, under any circumstances

Ok, thanks for the stats. Just played the Mariners for 1 unit. I like it. Worth the risk/reward. I see some slight value here.

I see why so many like Texas, but just can't pull the trigger on the Rangers. There is a little value, but not sure I can trust Millwood. Game on paper should be a score-fest. If Millwood was catching 130 I would be on it.

Ok, thanks for the stats. Just played the Mariners for 1 unit. I like it. Worth the risk/reward. I see some slight value here.

I see why so many like Texas, but just can't pull the trigger on the Rangers. There is a little value, but not sure I can trust Millwood. Game on paper should be a score-fest. If Millwood was catching 130 I would be on it.

i know you are a believer in the fishy line though , k.

the average joe doesnt know about lee's spring or the fact that most of the baseball guys i respect around here think last season was a flukish one for cliff. They will see the better indians team with last years american league cy young guy on the hill vs the lowly rangers. agree that the line is shorter than what i was expecting ( not what i think it should be ) but i think they are inviting indian money.

nice +day kyle

how often do you post plays/ how many per day on average? Thanks and Gl this season

the number is going to rise this year sfcapper. pushing my smaller edges ... probably averaged about a play and a half a day last year... i will average 3 this year. the two unit plays ( or two one unit plays split like todays loss ) are the ones that would qualify in years past as well.

the number is going to rise this year sfcapper. pushing my smaller edges ... probably averaged about a play and a half a day last year... i will average 3 this year. the two unit plays ( or two one unit plays split like todays loss ) are the ones that would qualify in years past as well.

GL this season. appreciate the writeups :shake:

Washington nationals at Florida Marlins under 8 -110/first 5inn under 4.5 -115 ( 1 unit each ) First five LOSS -1.15 units , full game LOSS -1.10 units

Seattle Mariners +135 hernandez vs liriano WIN +1.35 units
Texas rangers +114 lee vs millwood Win +1.14 units
Kansas City Royals +125 meche vs buehrle postponed void

favorites 0-0
dogs 2-0 +2.49 units
overs 0-0
unders 0-2 -2.25 units

overall +0.24 units

obviously was wrong about lannan today. Seems his last ST start carried over to todays action.

Back