Tigers officially acquire Cabrera and Willis

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

Just reported on ESPN. That lineup is damn scary. I imagine its for those prospects. Wow. AL favorites now I would say

Actually sorry about that. I dont think its official yet but Peter Gammons said it will be done by tonight

If the Red Sox get the Santana deal done I'd still think they're the favorites, but that will be one hell of a lineup. Hopefully Cabrera is really working as hard as he says he is.

Wow...imagine that lineup...fucking Renteria too..

Cabrera, Magglio, Sheff, Pudge, Renteria, Guillen, Granderson, Polanco..

Are u fucking serious.

I think it's completely possible that Andrew Miller might be a better pitcher right now than Willis. I love grabbing Cabrera (if he stays off the big macs) but if I'm a Tigers fan I'd prefer to have Miller and his contract than Willis.

I think it's completely possible that Andrew Miller might be a better pitcher right now than Willis. I love grabbing Cabrera (if he stays off the big macs) but if I'm a Tigers fan I'd prefer to have Miller and his contract than Willis.

yea i think miller probably better but i dont think the Dtrain contract is too much of an issue with Mr Illitch... He has boatloads of $ and said he's willing to spend it to win a world series

in terms of winning next year/the year after, i think willis is the option over miller.. for the future, all the scouts rave about miller, but in watchin him last year he needs to develop his offspeed pitch and fix his control problem. If he can overcome that he will be great, however I love this trade, and like BossUp said, Dtrains contract means nothing to Illitch.

Tigers had a monstrous offensive year, i wonder just how much better they got with Cabrera in there.

They have a very solid mix of Lefty/Righties in their starting rotation, that AL Central is pretty much theirs.

1. Granderson
2. Polanco
3. Sheff
4. Mags
5. Cabrera
6. Guillen
7. Renteria
8. Pudge
9. Thames/Jacque Jones

Verlander
Willis
Rogers
Robertson
Bonderman

SICK!

I've gotta say as a White Sox fan, this sucks. And, I really like Willis, wish he would have come to Chicago.

Who knows how good he'll be in the cold, but I really like that guy.

How is Willis' 5.17 ERA going to translate to the A.L.?

Cabrera is a phenomenal hitter, and the Tigers will likely be able to resign him in two years. And they better, because they ain't getting any younger (plus, they've basically just stripped their farm system of ML-able prospects).

No doubt this makes them more competitive than last year. But let's not start handing them trophies AGAIN in December... hell, I thought June was a bit early last year.

for what it's worth, I think the Twins are poised to rebound if they hold onto Santana this year. I'll probably put a little on them to win the AL Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AL Central is gonna be stacked. Twins are going to be better, Tigers have the best lineup in the game, the Tribe is still strong. Wow.

Good points rolub. I think Willis will benefit from a change of scenery and going to a winning environment with less pressure. He will also benefit from the AL hitters not familiar with his motion etc...at least in the first year. THe big park will also help a guy like this.

I think the health of Liriano is huge for the twins to make a run after losing Garza.

The Tigers still have the number one pitching prospect in the minor leagues in Rick Porcello, his future projection as an ace will offset the loss of Miller. They are still stacked with pitching in the minor leagues. Willis isn't even in his prime yet. He will benefit greatly from kenny Rogers and Chuck Hernandez.

If these guys stay injury free, this trade is a steal IMO...Maybin has a lot of work to do..enormous potential though. Miller needs to work on control and getting two more pitches...but will be a good one. You can't argue with WIllis and Cabrera's production at their ages.

dont forget willis had his first child like 2 weeks into last season... i'm sure that was some factor to his #s dropping, whether it be big or small... plus imagine 40,000 at comerica going nuts for him as opposed to pitching in front of 3k in florida. He is still a question mark, but like Jump said, for now he gets the benefit of the doubt from me

in my opinion, people are starstruck by the names and the hype from ESPN. but consider what Keith Law has to say on Willis:

Dontrelle Willis, on the other hand, won't fare as well in the transition. Willis' stuff hasn't been that overpowering in about two years, and his fastball command was poor for all of 2007. The same aspects of his delivery that give him so much deception also make his delivery hard to repeat and put more stress on his arm. As a result, he's not the same animal that he was in 2003-05. He's been good for 200-plus innings for the last three years and may just be a guy who can soak up those innings at a below-average level, which has value but not something that matches his reputation. In the tougher league, he might just be a fifth starter.
now, are you going to believe Law or Steve Phillips?

Again, no doubt that Cabrera is a huge addition to the offense. But injuries happen, and since it's probably been a year since guys like Sheffield and Pudge have received an HGH dose, i wouldn't count on them to be playing 150+ games this year.

Detroit still has bullpen issues to work out. You look at the teams who survived round 1 of the AL playoffs, and they were teams with bullpens that could take you from the 6th inning to the clubhouse in victory (sans Borowski for the Indians).

Detroit had a lot of injuries in the pen..if they stay healthy they will be OK....if Zumaya was healthy I would feel better though.

I disagree Willis has 5th starter material..he is still young and has a high ceiling.

i hate the american league. looks like settling for 3rd at best in central for a long while now.

12:58 p.m., from Amy Nelson
• Since news broke of the Marlins-Tigers blockbuster, Detroit left-hander Andrew Miller has not heard from anyone in the Tigers' organization. One of Miller's agents ran into Jim Leyland in the hotel lobby Tuesday night, and Leyland told him the deal wasn't anywhere close to getting done. What is unclear is whether any of the eight players involved have to physically be examined, which is why the trade could be held up. So far, neither Miller nor his agents have not been told anything. Word is that the deal might not be completed until after the winter meetings -- unless there are other factors preventing it from getting done.

Miller is working out at the Tigers' spring training complex in Lakeland, Fla. He met with the trainers this morning, had his sore left knee worked on, and is now out playing golf with some of his teammates. Late in the season, Miller had an MRI on his left knee, where it turned out there was some mild cartilage damage. He's been rehabbing it ever since. Since he's officially still a Tiger, he wasn't denied treatment.

I love the pass the physical out to see reaction and the GM can pull the plug if he was raked across the coals on the deal.

BTW, IMO Willis' stuff in the AL will get rocked. No doubting Cabrera's talent though

Willis was in the NL East, pitching against the potent lineups of the Mets and Phillies multiple times a year. Sure he will get hit a bit more just because of the DH factor, but to say he is going to come here and get rocked seems a little rediculous. If he can put together another season of 200+ innings pitched at under a 5 era he could win a lot of games with the Tigers offense behind him.

who cares..cabrera is worth the price of all 4 guys if he is signed long term anyways and not losing Porcello is huge.

Well the Tigers better hope this is official as I'm not sure how the Marlins are going to react to this news. If the Tigers can deal Willis and get back a couple of prospects I like this trade. Otherwise I'm not a huge fan from the Tigers side of things. Two years of Cabrera isn't worth Maybin and Miller for 5 years. If they can get something for Willis they should.

Buzz: Willis Offered to Mets, with Pudge

Speaking with WFAN, beat reporter Sweeny Murti said…
“Omar Minaya said he inquired about Dontrelle Willis, but the Marlins were not going to deal him within the division.
images
“However, the Tigers have explored the idea of spinning him off, and they have contacted the Mets. There wasn’t an official offer presented to Omar, but what was talked about, from what I was told, they talked about spinning off Willis. In addition, though, the Mets would have to take on some salary. The Tigers are interested, perhaps, in moving Willis and Ivan Rodriguez and dumping his salary, which is $13 million next season. So, if the Mets wanted Willis from Detroit, they’d have to take on that salary. The thing is, he has a no trade clause, so to get him to waive it you’d probably have to give him another year.”
…if you recall, the talk early in the off-season had been that omar was hoping pudge hit the open market, instead of getting his option picked up by the Tigers, because he would have been the team’s first choice to replace Paul Lo Duca…instead, though, the option was picked up, and Plan B through Z were pursued

American league is going to destroy the National League this year especially if BO-Sox/Yankees get Santana.

Hate to rain on the parade here, but did I miss something?

Does Cabrera close games? Does Willis?

The bullpen dooms this team in the end, especially considering Zumaya might be done...

Hate to rain on the parade here, but did I miss something?

Does Cabrera close games? Does Willis?

The bullpen dooms this team in the end, especially considering Zumaya might be done...

No doubt thats the only issue with the team. Zumaya is ASG at best..maybe august...

They have addedsome guys recently...

they need onem ore..no doubt..Todd will be rollercoaster no doubt.

Remember, this team was leading league in runs last year before Sheff got hurt and the Yanks gotr hot..still scored a shitton...

now you replace Casey, Inge with Carbrera and Renteria....wowie zowie

TJ is a roller coaster, but he gets the job done. The Tigers did not give up anyone from their major league roster going into 2007. I trust Dombrowski..he will do what he needs, especially with Illitch as owner. If Bonderman and Rogers are healthy and productive it is going to be a great year.

Red Sox and Indians are still the teams to beat imo though.

btw..sorry the Phillies haven't been more active

we're laying in the weeds waiting to pounce!

HA HA - yeah right

I have a bad feeling Kris Bensons in my future, as is a RF platoon of god knows what because victorino has to play center...

they really shoulda looked at Andruw Jones

they coulda came up with that money - especially for only two years...a 3-4-5 of Utley, Howard and Jones woulda been pretty fierce...

Back