Thursday's News, Notes, UMPS, etc...- a good read for FRIDAY as well...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
God am I pissed. I had a diatribe of stuff ready to send this morning. Just when I go to send, BOOM. I lose power in the house.

It comes back on in time for me to watch the baseball games (Tribe game, how it goes OVER and Yankees cover the RL will go down as one of the biggest miracle wins of the year for those who had those sides)...

BUT I HAD NO INTERNET. No way to see my lines, so no action other than the ridiculous Padre/UNDER 7 parlay I placed before bed last night because I knew it would go to 6.5 today (with no internet, no chance to bet OVER either)...

So I pissed.

Since there are only a few more games today and we know where the umps are gonna be, I am going to post any plays I have shortly and then make notes from all of the games the last 2 days and post them later tonight.

Still sick and not drinking so I shouldn't be tired. Staying in so I should have them up for the day games a little later and then work on the night ones after I watch them all play....

GL!

:spank:

Got OVER 9 -120 and Mets/OVER parlay in Florida. Remember the Flying Dutchman had Eddings as his "UMP" in his Miami debut - and a lot of pitches that were strikes that night won't be today.

Gotta give Acta and the Senators credit for continuing to battle night in and night out. Last night they won it in 13 over the listless Phillies. The clock is on Manual; Philly fans are usually pretty passionate - does he make it through another week? How much longer can they afford to fall behind the Mets? Or is it even all his fault? Interested to hear your thoughts. I have only seen one game start-to-finish; rest are just bits and pieces. The win today helps but now Howard is banged up, Opening Day starter Brett Myers is in the pen (as a set-up man???), and at 4-10, they are still at the bottom of the barrel. Don't be fooled by the lower-scoring games with these two, as "OVER" could be a value play this weekend ... Philly was 4-for-27 with RISP, while Washington was 3-for-23 in the same spots.

Milwaukee capped a two-game sweep of Pitt and it will continue to win only if it gets good, timely hitting and decent, consistent pitching and bullpen work. That's because the defense is still atrocious, a total eyesore. Pitt continues to struggle to hit with RISP and as long as that keeps up, they'll lose the usual 90-95 games...

The Dodgers are going to be pretty good if they can stay somewhat healthy. Hendrickson was just fine as a fill-in today. They have now won seven of eight on the road. Lowe bitched and moaned last night about the ballpark, using some quote about "If you play 81 games here and can't hit, there's something wrong with you"... but he won 2 or 3 games at Coors last year. Jim Wolf was the HP UMP on Wednesday, which is weird, considering his brother Randy is a starter for LA. He should never be umping a Dodger game. Grady Little mused "So if I brought Randy in to pitch, would they move Jim out to the bases?"...

Colorado continues to cook the baseballs and try to beat you with small ball. Lopez pitched well last night but tightness in his elbow sent him to the DL today and the Dodgers tacked three onto Herges, brought up from Colly Springs, in the 9th. Rockies also gave Helton a day off. Not sure what to make, though even with that youth I expected them to contend with Arizona for third in the division so a little surprised and disappointed in their start.

Well, good to know I was able to win my bets. Considering I was without power and Internet for a considerable time today, I was locked out of betting Padres/UNDER 7 parlay (loser)... Yankees OVER 11 (shoulda lost lol)... and the Braves at the price I wanted (loser).... but did get a win with my Mets, OVER and a parlay of the two, and with Calgary on the ice.

Was about to post that play in the hockey in-game forum shortly after 8 Eastern when I lose power for FIVE HOURS... It came back briefly about 10:15 for about 15 minutes, but I knew it might be temporary so I made a tuna sammich with potato chips for supper... lo and behold, it went out again....

Anyways, catching up on today's box scores and since I'm still sick and have no semblance of time, will be working feverishly for a couple of hours updating this notes page for you guys to look at tonight and tomorrow...

rex, i really enjoy reading these recaps. I sure don't have the time to go thru box scores, and I rarely watch games. Well, unless the cubbies are on during midday on WGN.

They give me a peek as to how a team is doing outside of the obvious numebers.

anyway, thanks.

Thanks Hunt. Gonna be a long night, as this is the time of year I actually get involved with the Nuba. Call it the bookmaker in me but I can't stand to look at the board of overnights, see 14 games, and 2 fucking lines are up. Then the day of the game, three different games are open to 4-plus point middles on SIDES ONLY.

The most respected bookmaker I ever met thinks those games are garbage, and would usually give 5K and 3K on regular season games. The last 2 weeks of the year, he drops his limits to 2K and 1K cause who knows who's playin... I would be even more dramatic. A dime on the sides, a nickel on the totals. EVERY GAME IS IN A CIRCLE. People like Big Al just have their way those last 10-14 days; and while I know I should stop being stubborn and just bet them, part of me feels like I'd be stealing and that's not good business with the people I bet with down here....

Sure, Slim. As long as I continue to get positive feedback, I'll try to do as many as I can on all of the teams. As you know, it really helps when guys like SportNut, who despite being a Yankee homer (with those pitchers at least, lol)... can come in and add to what I've come up with.... and any other guys (JRose with the Royals, etc.) can add stuff about their hometown teams that might be obscure to the rest of us.

That's what this daily thread is about. Not which plays I'm on. For some reason, if I list my bases plays I've lost three straight years. Last year before we got rolling good here at CTG I was able to TRUCK the bases posting plays nowhere. Well, we gamblers are a superstitious lot... So I'd prefer to keep this an informative thread - gambling always welcomed of course, and questions about teams/plays will always be answered - that way it's a little different and maybe more helpful than other threads elsewhere...

Jot these UMPS down as possibly working the plate on Friday night....

UMP - Thursday 1B locale (or Weds, in last 3 AL games)...

KNIGHT - (Tor)
SCOTT - (Nyy)
BUCKNOR - (Sea)
REILLY - (Cws)
Hohn - (Det)
Schreiber - (Tby)
Young - (Oak)

MARSH - (Was)
WEGNER - (Mil)
JOYCE - (Col)
DeMUTH - (Sdg)
GORMAN - (Sfo)
HIRSCHBECK - (Fla)
DRECKMAN - (Cin)
REYNOLDS - (Atl)

Updates coming shortly...

The Mets continue to show why they are going to be the class of baseball this season when it's all said and done. Maine is a tremendous young talent who can throw a mid-90's fastball at the letters and still make hitters go after it. He took a no-hitter into the sixth or seventh last night, and if the Mets ever have one in franchise history, he is my new favorite to be their first to throw it (next 4-5 years). Still, he's young and should NOT be overvalued just because he beat the D-Train. There will be nights where he's off (could have been last night for example) but they just overwhelm you. Unearned runs did Dontrelle in early (four in the first) but he never really hit his spots and for one night, at least, NY had an answer for its Kryptonite.

Tonight, it was more of the same. Duque struck out 11, Met pitchers allowed just four hits, and scored six in the second inning to take a big lead. New York outscored the Marlins 20-5 and outhit them 33-7 in the two-game set. Fish have lost five straight. Cabrera left with an injury in the third and did not say when he'll be back in the lineup. Randolph batted Beltran second and Moises Alou third for the first time this season for the Mets, and it obviously worked out.

Diego set was quite interesting. The Padres split the two-game homestand, with the win
coming less than 24 hours after they lost 5-3 in 12 innings. The 11-6 win today was semi-comical, with the total being the lowest of the year (several shops were at 6.5 flat or so at some point), and Eddings behind the plate. To put some perspective on 17 runs at Petco (day OR night) and 11 for the winner.... NO team - Diego or an opponent - has scored more than 11 runs in ANY game there since Seattle beat the Pads 14-5 back on June 22, 2005 (!) - and yes, it took 25 minutes for me to find that, haha... Thankfully, I didn't have to go back to 2004 to find the last time the Pads got to 12 - it was May 15 of 2005, when they thrashed Burnett and the Marlins, 12-4.

Last night's game was frustrating for me, as I felt Wells pitched well enough to win. Eddings actually ejected him in the 12th. After missing check-swing 3rd strike in the 7th, Wells walked in the go-ahead run to the same batter (E said "no" to the check-swing); E called a runner safe at first when he appeared out. Some chirping ensued, and "E" threw out Wells, who claimed "E" called him "Fat Boy" while rubbing his belly. "E" denies saying that. Webb did strike out 13, which makes it all the more puzzling how Livan could allow them to contribute to 11 today...

Frisco completed a two-game sweep of the slumping Cards. If there were 2 games for STL to lose, these are prolly it. They are in the midst of 25 out of 27 within the Central, with these two being the respite. If you remember last year, the Cards were dominant outside the division, relatively speaking. I think they actually had a losing record (by a surprising margin) in the Central... So LaRussa really putting a lot into these games. With the power still on after the Cards went final and with DirecTV asleep at the wheel, I got some Cardinals Live on FSN Midwest after the game. LaRussa had very little to say; not a surprise considering how bad they have been lately. The loss last night where Pujols had home plate stolen had he kept running typifies the problems. He broke too early to begin with. The goal was to get the runner at first in a rundown to give him enough time to score; he was supposed to wait. The Cardinals lost only their second day game in six afternoon contests this season and fell to 41-21 in such games since the start of '06.

Frisco is still a mess. They are old and basically won these two over a slumping team and by smoke-and-mirrors (though they lost Tuesday in Colorado the same way). Moving LF Barry Bonds back to the cleanup spot provides lefty-righty balance in the lineup, but the team again lacks a true No. 3 hitter. Zito's rough start was never really a cause for concern. He was 11-15 with a 5.04 ERA in April in seven seasons with the A's.

Fortunate isn't even the right word to describe how lucky I was to get my push on the total last night in CIncinnati. Starters were dominant, but the Cincinnati bullpen was a trainwreck for the second time in three nights - after leading the league the first two weeks, if you can believe that. I don't think they are that good, but they also aren't that bad. Berkman had to snap out eventually, and Coffey just didn't have his location, never coming close to where Ross was setting up. The cheap run in the ninth was great. It was a big bet for me, so I'll call a spade a spade and thank GOd for the push.

I wrote that this morning.

Now I get to re-phrase it. I had no bet tonight. Wish I would have, as the Reds showed up and battered Woody pretty good... But for the third time in four nights the Reds bullpen fucks everything up. Cincy is up comfortably, 6-2, going into the eighth... Until giving up five in the eighth and one more in the ninth. Weathers was summoned in the eighth this time, as Narron could see it slipping away. Weathers hadn't blown a save chance all season. The Reds made two errors behind him in the eighth to help Houston - both runs they got off him were unearned. Houston has won seven of eight, including back-to-back rallies against a bullpen that hadn't given up a late lead all season. The Reds have lost all of Arroyo's four starts this season.

Hill allowed four hits in eight scoreless innings, Michael Barrett and Aramis Ramirez backed him with solo homers to pace the Flubs past Atlanta, 3-0. Chicago had lost two straight and seven of nine, but Hill won his third straight start, striking out seven and walking three, lowering his ERA to big-league best 0.41. Maybe I better re-evaluate my rating on him, because I've been against him on two of the starts and was precariously close on the other. Flubs are now 2-8 in their last 10 at Turner.

Redman's performance was far better than his first two starts, when he went 0-2 with a 12.69 ERA. Working with Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell helped Redman locate his arm slot. He yielded seven hits, three runs and two walks in 7 1/3 innings. He struck out five. It was a welcome performance, because the Braves used five relievers Wednesday (they gave up one earned run in 3 2/3 innings).

In Wednesday's game, Zambrano struggled again, walking five, hitting a batter and allowing eight hits and five runs in six innings. He gave up six runs in the fifth inning of a 6-5 loss to Cincinnati last Friday. Zambrano has a 7.77 ERA after four starts. He has given up six homers and walked 16 batters in 22 innings. A silver lining? Zambrano also struggled early last season. He was 0-2 with a 5.35 ERA after six starts but recovered to finish 16-7 with a 3.41 ERA.

I told you guys in yesterday's installment of this thread that Jones should NOT be the Tiger closer. He is the weakest link to this team besides the horrific broadcast crew that is unquestionably the worst duo on television since the start of the decade (yes, that includes the clowns up there in the ChiSox booth, as well)... KC actually should have been ahead; Meche allowed three runs but they were all unearned, as the Royals' infield is semi-atrocious defensively at this point. Gordon's error really opened the floodgates. But give them credit for continuing to fight and find a way to get me my side cash. The OVER which I liked too, never had a shot. Bondy dealt and so did Meche.

Rodney has struggled a little, giving up six runs in seven innings for a 7.71 ERA and taking the loss in half of Detroit's defeats. Soria got his first ML win and he looked solid in doing so. He struck out four in two scoreless innings. Buck, who hit the GW homer in the 10th, hit .533 on the KC 9-game roadie!

Give Baltimore credit for working Kazmir. The ace departed after throwing 102 pitches through four innings, one start after ending Santana's amazing Metrodome winning streak. Then they got to that heinous pen. Bedard moved to 3-1, doing just enough. He gave up four runs and seven hits in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out eight and walked three in throwing 110 pitches. Surprisingly, Baltimore's revamped bullpen allowed one run and six hits over 13 innings in the three-game series. A flu-like virus has been making its way around the Tampa clubhouse the last couple of weeks, so check on Friday to see who's potentially sick now.

A's starting pitchers lead the majors with a 2.07 ERA and have allowed three or fewer runs in each of the last 13 games. This time, they blanked Anaheim 3-0 to complete a sweep in the brief 2-game set at home. As I said 10 days or so ago, Anaheim was the worst 6-3 team that I think I ever saw. The Angels have now lost six straight. Kendrick and Vladdy both got hit by pitches earlier in the week and neither played. Chone was also out.

Lackey lost to the A's for only the third time in 20 starts (he's 10-3 against them). The Angels were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position. They are hitting .152 in their past 10 games in such situations. Since last Thursday's loss to Cleveland in Milwaukee, Anaheim is 0-6 and has been outscored 36-6 by the Tribe, Boston and Oakland. Amazingly, these three games at home against Seattle this weekend are the last division games Anaheim will play for three weeks - until they go to Arlington on May 11 for a weekend set.

Worst manager of the Year Race is already underway. Two more candidates threw their names into the hat today to join Charlie Manual. First up, Mr. Gibbons in Toronto.

Let's replace the BEST FUCKING PITCHER IN BASEBALL WITH OUR MEDIOCRE BULLPEN, SANS CLOSER, IN A JIM TRACY-LIKE-LEFTY-VS-LEFTY/RIGHTY-VS-RIGHTY RIDICULOUS SITUATIONAL BULLSHIT PLAN...

OK, if your starter is a lower-rotation guy, not one of the first 2 or 3, I understand. But ROY had only thrown 95 pitches through 7 1/3. This was eerily reminiscent of when Garner got the "other" ROY out of Houston on Opening Day, then watched Pirates wreck Lidge and win.

After Halladay walked Crisp (he did throw 36 balls), Gibby elected to go with Downs, who did get rid of Ortiz. Then the righty-vs-righty situation called for him to bring on Marcum to face Manny, with Frasor waiting in the wings to pitch the ninth. Well, he missed on his location and Manny hit it 9 miles. Boom goes the dynamite (that's for you, Jump)... Tie game. Cora later tripled in the winning run. But all the (dis)credit for this one goes to Gibby.

On Wednesday, I learned something - I hadn't realized Wakefield liked Toronto so much. He called the mound "the best" in the AL, and says he gets more movement on his knuckler indoors. With all these arm injuries in early April, it's a wonder some of these guys don't start working on the knuckleball at a younger age, even the power guys. He's 40 now, and when was the last time he missed a start to injury?

Just 16 runs were scored in the three game set, 10 by the Red Sox, which basically quieted the Jay lineup the way no one else has yet this year.

That pitching, and not the lineup, is going to keep Boston right there in the East. Should be a fun series this weekend, as the Yankees has zero pitching and the best lineup outside of the Mets in baseball...

Step right up, Eric Wedge. You are now in the "Worst MGR Hot Seat" - although I'm sure the good Barkeep would have told me this, oh, two years ago...

Carmona pitches a six-inning gem that baffled roughly 98 percent of the betting world, allowing just two runs. With the Tribe adding insurance in the ninth and that bum Borowski getting the first two out, you figure 6-2 lead with 2 out should be good enough. He actually got to strike two on two occasions, but could never close the deal. Phelps homers for the first time since 2005. Fine, no harm done. Posada, in the 9-hole after pinch-hitting for that disaster Nieves earlier in the game, singles. Jesus walks. Jeter singles. The wild pitch should have been a red-flag to Wedge (if there weren't already hurricane flags flying)... A) You get Borowski out of there... or B) You might consider walking A-Rod, the best player in baseball right now (as I said earlier there is unquestionably no one who worked harder in prepping for this season, and you can see it when he's out there every day)....

I would go with A - AND B... Find a lefty to pitch to Giambi. This feeble excuse of Giambi having already homered doesn't cut it. Put the shift on, play the outfielders at a reasonable depth and take your chances. You all know what happened by now. Joe's next pitch is a fastball and he hit it halfway to Manhattan.

Amazing what these pigpens are capable of. An absolutely rotten beat for Cleveland bettors - and an even better win for those who took a stab on the Jankees on the run-line.

Good news? I was thinking of these rotten bullpens, and was wondering aloud when Cleveland played Tampa. Lo and behold, it starts on Friday.

Let me give you a clue of what I like in this series. It's a four-letter word, first letter "O", last letter "R"... One word of caution - Hirschbeck is a big-time UNDER ump and he was in Miami Thursday. If he is behind the plate in Tampa Friday, that's a big waste of a great umpire. So keep your eyes open...

I told you guys in yesterday's installment of this thread that Jones should NOT be the Tiger closer. He is the weakest link to this team besides the horrific broadcast crew that is unquestionably the worst duo on television since the start of the decade (yes, that includes the clowns up there in the ChiSox booth, as well)

LMFAO! I've been watching a bunch of the Tiger games on MLB.tv lately and I realized just how bad the announcers for the Tigers were!

Horrendous! LMAO

You ever hear the Mets announcer? One of the dude sounds like Lou Holtz on the air....but I'll give him a pass cause he's probably someone famous just doing a couple guest spots

Also, cannot believe the Tribe collapsed that bad...not only was I pissed cause Carmona is my boy, but I had him in fantasy and that W would've been worth 10 points! Instead I'm down 8 points!

Santana's seven strong innings Thursday extended his streak of pitching at least five innings to 95 starts, dating to May 29, 2004. Pretty strong. He resumed his winning ways, going seven strong with seven strikeouts and dominating after allowing two early runs. Minny made their rally today on a bunt-a-thon to take a 5-2 lead. the insurance was key, as well, as Neshak (who has good stuff) gave up a 3-run bomb to Ibanez to cut it to one in the ninth. Nathan doesn't quite look comfortable yet. That should change as the season goes on. Good sweep for the Twins, who looked listless in the last two series. First time since 96 they swept the M's on the road. The Twins tested the arm of Ichiro and it paid off. Justin Morneau scored, but largely because Suzuki's on-line throw hit the lip of the pitcher's mound and bounded high to Johjima.

Washburn has allowed two, three and four earned runs in his three starts this season, yet does not have a win. The Seattle offense has got to give him more if they are going to compete for the West Division title with Oakland, as I expect they will. Santana was the first southpaw Seattle faced this season. The Mariners were the last team to face a lefty.

lol Cap... You have Carmona on your Fantasy team? Are you in a 20-team, AL-only league????

How can anyone have that clown as a starter, especially today in the Bronx, where I made the total 12 flat? hahaha

About the Mets guys, if you're talking about the SNY guys (I think that has to be them), then I don't have a problem with any of them. Darling is the ex-pitcher but he knows his shit and can be funny at times.

Funniest crew so far this year is the Red Sox guys. They are much better at home than on the road. They annoy the fuck out of me with those ridiculous accents but they do have a good sense of humor.

"That guy just threw a piece of pitzzer at the other guy. Why would you do that? And waste all that money on a perfectly good piece of pitzzer?"

LMAO, don't know if you guys saw that game the other day, a guy for Anaheim was coming after a foul ball and the fan threw a pizza at another fan. They talked about it for the rest of the inning and almost through the next half-inning. Musta went on about it for 10 minutes. The laughing was uncontrollable up there when they came back from the commercial...

Kudos to Buehrle for his no-hitter. He faced the minimum, but it wasn't nearly as dominating as it looked early on. Several balls were hit hard, but right at people. Others weren't at people, but hard enough to usually be hits. Give the ChiSox defense credit; they played like it was 2005 again. Something like that could be a prelude to bigger things, as they have sorta slogged along so far. That win, as I thought, was a carryover to tonight. The White Sox are hitting just .219 as a team, but Thome said (and I agree) that the lineup is too deep to struggle much longer. They are still 7-7 and by no means in any trouble in the deep Central.

Gagne made his second appearance of the season after being activated on April 13. Gagne pitched one scoreless inning while allowing a hit and a walk. You also have to wonder if Washington perhaps had one eye on the weekend set with division-leading Oakland, which comes to Arlington this weekend. He was a coach in Oakland the last 10 years, I believe...

that should do it. I'm a little wired; wish there was a good poker game tonight but I'll sack up since it'll be daylight here in about 2 hours and it's hard to sleep once it starts getting hot (no wind again expected Friday)...

I'll have some misc. notes to post Friday morning; hopefully this gets us all caught up....

GLTA...

lol Cap... You have Carmona on your Fantasy team? Are you in a 20-team, AL-only league????

Why yes. Yes it is an AL-Only league

Only 10 teams though

And Carmona has nasssssssssty stuff...once he puts it together he is going to be a SOLID, SOLID pitcher for the tribe...wouldn't be surprised to see him take over the 1 spot in a few years....seriously...in the draft I decided to go the route of all pitching after drafting my boy Carl Crawford #1 overall (yes over guys like Johan, Ortiz..etc)...*sigh*

My pitching is deep though and I'm 2-0 so far on the season after the first two weeks; but two guys went down this week

- Roy Halladay
- Scott Kazmir (obviously struggling, should pick up)
- Felix Hernandez (injured now)
- Rich Harden (injured now)

Those are my 4 SP's, then I slotted Carmona in the RP spot (yes they have him listed as a reliver) as well as Todd Jones

Good deal getting a SP for a RP spot...RP's aint worth that much (unless you got one of the top 3, Pap, KRod, Nathan)

Damn, I just ranted about nothing really relevant...oh well

PS - The Red Sox crew is the best! Can't wait to get back this summer and kick back and watch Don and Remy every night

haha Rod and Mario are the shit!

ever see the rod allen video of him going after the japenese pitcher? hilarious

Back