Thursday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
OK, it's time for another profitable college football season. As with last year, I won't be posting my amounts. Usually will just be a 1-5 unit deal, and to make it easier here I will just say small, medium or big bets...

First game of the season, and my alma mater hosts Miami (Ohio) at the new Scheumann Stadium, where a nice crowd is expected to gather in this opening MAC tilt. The Cards won in Oxford last fall, snapping a long skid in the series. It started a run of three wins in four games to close out the year, with the loss being 34-26 at Michigan. Ball State is a rising player in the conference thanks to Nate Davis and a high-octane passing game. Miami had a rare down year in 2006 but most key players are back, so expect a winning season this time.

The Cardinal defense will be overmatched by most folks, and Kokal and Murphy are plenty good enough to expose some weaknesses. On the other side, Davis should be able to generate offense in bunches through the air. It should be a high-scoring, back and forth affair.

Prediction: Ball State 37, Miami 34
The play: OVER 51 for a big bet.

Not interested in Barfalo/Rutgers. Coin toss.

Everyone's got a lot of love for LSU around here but I don't see any value in trying to lay three touchdowns to a divisional foe who will be amped to show its improvement, especially when a game against a national power is around the corner.

Trends all favor LSU, however, so I'm not going to take the dog yet. If I see 20, I'll get involved but I only made the game 16 so it already seems high and is unlikely to go up any more. Pass.

Phil Steele's love for Kent State has found its way into this line in Ames. Come on folks, are you telling me that the Flashes are on par with Iowa State at a neutral site? Give me a break. Gene Chizik is worth the four points alone here. Bret Meyer is by far the best player on the field, and the Cyclones open up the new era with a win.

The play: Iowa State -3.5 for a small bet.

Anyone who bets on UNLV/Utah State ought to be sent to the mental home.

Utah/Oregon State is the most intriguing game outside of Saturday all weekend for my money. Each team has a lot to prove and a lot coming back. I have both of these teams rated higher than most (i believe) and will be on both most likely in other early matchups this season.

Sean Canfield, who was Matt Moore's backup last season, will start for Oregon State, and fellow sophomore Lyle Moevao will make his entrance in the second quarter. Consider that OSU has one of the best tailbacks in the country in fifth-year senior Yvenson Bernard, a solid offensive line, and a defense that swarms to the ball and you're talking about a good football team. Utah, 8-5 last season, has nine starters back on a high-powered spread offense, and I'm a big big fan of run-threat quarterback Brian Johnson.

Part of me sides with the Utes because of the Johnson factor, especially with the Beavers breaking in new quarterbacks... but OSU has won 22 consecutive nonconference games and Riley is 13-0 in nonconference games at home. Hard to buck that stat. No play in the first half, but I will watch closely.

A lean to Tulsa over Northeast Louisiana in the shit game but nothing for now - I know that Weatherbie returns a lot and he's a hell of a coach so I'll watch the first half and maybe get involved at the break... I'll try to post those plays in here early when I'm around a computer. For the late game, I'll be at the bah...

Good luck!

:cheers:

Great shit Rexy..been looking forward to your thoughts for this and the Sat card as well..

I'm involved in nothing now but just in the process w/ RJ of lettin that Tulsa line continue it's freefall before most likely playing it..

GL this year.

Welcome back to another season, Rex.
I'm liking Miami here, and would like a win because I've split my money ML and +6. Iowa State on my list at one point, then took em off. You've got me thinking again - my original idea was a mirror image of your post.
Leaning toward OSU as a home tean fav.
best of luck this year.
bull

Great thoughts Rex...BOL to you this year. I'm going to be in the mental home for this first weekend I guess...

:cheers:

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Good health to ya
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Everyone's got a lot of love for LSU around here but I don't see any value in trying to lay three touchdowns to a divisional foe who will be amped to show its improvement, especially when a game against a national power is around the corner.

That's the catch, CKR, Miss St has no improvement!!! Please tell me one position at which they upgraded?

QB - Can't be any worse than last year.
O-line - Best under Croom; 7 with starting experience back.
Secondary - more experienced
Kicking game - also more experienced

I think they'll be better than you want to give them credit for, B.C.... but we'll find out in about 50 hours either way!

Thanks fellas...

Can't be any worse than last year = last place in the SEC West

lack of talent = lack of talent (although experience can serve some good)

Miss St O-line is the only group of that team I will pay any sort of compliment to this season. You think Miss St is better than I give them credit for, and I think you are overrating them, as they will finish in the last two spots of the SEC West yet again... either way, like you said, we'll find out in approx 50 hours!!!

GL this season, CKR... thanks for the info this offseason

CKR--

ISU-Kent is on neutral site?

I agree. Kent is getting too much respect but I would have to see something from Iowa State before betting them in Week 1.

I looked into your MAC total because it sounded good to me. But then I reviewed Phil and one of Phil's points is that in the last 22 meetings the average score is 39 ppg. Last meeting LY was about the same.

What, besides the facts you give, makes you think this will be such a high scoring game?

QB - Can't be any worse than last year.
O-line - Best under Croom; 7 with starting experience back.
Secondary - more experienced
Kicking game - also more experienced

I think they'll be better than you want to give them credit for, B.C.... but we'll find out in about 50 hours either way!

Thanks fellas...

I lean with you out that one Rex, but I would let you know that they guy that was going to do MSU's kickoffs and punts is out for the season now with a broken bone in his foot.

BOL Rex :cheers:

Hope you have a great season this year. Love checking out your posts. Its always a great read. May look into your Miami Over more. :shake:

RJ - The meetings traditionally are low scoring, but Ball State has a very good offense for MAC standards, and the defense will struggle against a lot of teams. I expect each team to score in double figures in each half.

Good luck everyone, I totally agree with the play. I tried to post a writeup I did for my friends blog but it got screwed up. I'd fix it, but it's only 45 min till, I can't wait for this season to start.

Well Sexy Rexy I might tail you on that OVER.

I agree there's no value on LSU but I don't see how Messy moves the ball. They will play hard... but to no avail... they simply won't move the ball.

80% on ISU doesn't bother you?

great write up on that total, best of luck. Not sold on isu as they are very young. hope they hit for u though as I'm staying clear of that one.

nope Spek... I make my own line and when I see value I bet. I could care less who is on my side and who's not...

At my shop, the volume in Kent/ISU is about equal - of course, i've kept the line high all week, hahaha...

Back