Thursday Quick Picks Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
New York Mets vs. San Francisco Giants

Handicapper Analysis

With his fastball, fork ball, sweeper, cutter combo, Kodai Senga starts for the Mets tonight.

His last, awful start against bottom-feeder Oakland notwithstanding, Senga has been having a good season.

But he's benefitted from facing a Marlin team, twice, that ranks 22ndin slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Conversely, the Giants slug .612 against Senga's pitches from righties.

They rank first in this category by a significant margin, showing that this is a unique opportunity to back them.

On the other side, southpaw Sean Manaea starts for the Giants.

He matches up well against a Met lineup that slugs .348 against his favorite pitches from lefties.

Best Bet: Giants First-Half ML at +100 with FanDuel

San Diego Padres vs. Arizona Diamondbacks

Handicapper Analysis

The importance of climate in Arizona is easily understated.

It is very dry there, and some pitchers just don't like to pitch in that sort of climate.

Padres' starter Michael Wacha is one of those pitchers, at least in part because he relies to a meaningful extent on a cutter.

His poor career ERA in Chase Field speaks against him, as does the fact that he is a fly ball-inducing pitcher.

Arizona hits .284 and slugs .455 against fly ball-inducing pitchers, making Wacha a favorable matchup for them even no matter the location.

On the other side, San Diego ranks 23rdin slugging against Arizona starter Ryne Nelson's pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Diamondbacks First-Half ML at +100 with FanDuel

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs

Handicapper Analysis

This is a rematch of starters who just squared off against the same opposing lineup last week.

Michael Grove, for the Dodgers, was fortunate to give up one run in his 5.2 innings against the Cubs last week.

He benefitted from yielding a .091 BABIP (batting average of balls in play) despite allowing hard contact over 40 percent of the time.

His 4.55 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) reflects how poorly he really pitched.

Cub starter Jameson Taillon is more reliable today because he is more well-built to face the same lineup consecutive times.

Taillon's huge mix of pitches -- he throws seven different ones -- makes it harder for hitters to grow familiar with him.

He also thrived twice in a row against the Blue Jays last year, for example.

Best Bet: Cubs First-Half ML at -128 with FanDuel

Colorado Rockies vs. Philadelphia Phillies

Handicapper Analysis

Colorado suffers from negative team rhythm.

The Rockies have lost eight straight games, and all eight of those losses came by two or more runs.

Even if they weren't enduring negative team form, the Phillies match up well against them.

Their starter, Ryan Feltner, has looked particularly vulnerable this year with his slider, fastball, sinker, change-up, curveball combo.

Philadelphia's lineup has a positive outlook tonight because it ranks fifth in slugging against Feltner's pitches from righties.

On the other side, Matt Strahm has looked great, his last start in a difficult, hitters-friendly ballpark notwithstanding.

He's primed to thrive against a Rockie lineup notorious for hitting rather poorly outside of hitters-friendly Coors Field.

Best Bet: Phillies RL at -118 with FanDuel

Los Angeles Angels vs. New York Yankees

Handicapper Analysis

The odds for this game are all wrong because they don't account for match-up factors.

Both teams are starting lefties, and the extent to which each team is ready to face a lefty wildly differs.

L.A. is quite ready. The Angels rank third in slugging .500 against left-handed pitching.

They also match up well against Yankee starter Nestor Cortes' pitches from lefties.

On the other side, Patrick Sandoval brings his good form into Yankee Stadium.

The Angels' southpaw has yet to give up more than a run in a single start.

He'll continue thriving because the Yankees rank last in slugging .299 against lefties.

Best Bet: Angels First-Half ML at +114 with FanDuel

I have some beef with your take on my guy senga! 1st about the Oakland game, there no question Senga biggest issue is commanding his 4 seamer, days he locating that upper 90s offering he gonna be practically unhittable! Days he struggles to locate it and Is forced to use his cutter to get strikes he is vulnerable, not only cause guys will be on base curtesy of walks but when they realize the cutter the only pitch he can get over the plate it becomes pretty easy to square up.

The Oakland game presented a big problem for him I don’t think we will often see, the A’s pitchers were so freaking awful the Mets half of innings were often taking 30ish minutes! All that sitting around was that last thing you want to see happen to Senga, after every one of those super long innings he came out and had a terrible time locating to the 1st couple batters, He often was able to work around it as he would find his command and fan several guys in a row. As the game went on he had to rely more on the cutter with guys on base as he couldn’t get the fastball over the plate, oakland made him pay on those get me over cutters and if that happens vs giants it could be a disaster as unlike the A’s who turned those offerings into singles the giants have a lineup full of guys that will take him yard if they allowed to sit on cutter! I wouldn’t think he will have to endure sitting thru many innings like that very often, A’s walked 17 Mets that game! Of course if he does that most likely means Mets are scoring runs.

So far it seems to have been a every other start thing with his 4 seam control, he didn’t have it the 1st game vs fish and put a lot of guys on the bases, lucky for him fish never seen him (as none the league has) so every time they got guys on bases he was able to get ahead in counts then throw the wicked fork ball which had fish hitters looking silly. In his second start again vs fish the fish did a much better job laying off his ghost fork, they made the proper adjustments but he located with his heater and was able to show them more of a slurve for his out pitch.

I’m willing to trust he has better control with the 4 seamer tonight, if that the case and he able to use it to get hitters behind in the count he will bury them, i don’t think lefties match up any better with what he throws that righties do, matter a fact he fanning lefties 37% of at bats!! Compared to 32% of righties. Maybe this a game you bet live cause it real simple, if he is locating that high 90s fastball it will be a long night for giants hitters, if he struggling to locate the fastball giants will prob hit a few bombs with guys on base.

I played his over 5.5 k’s as they gonna have to come with a higher number before I stop playing him. 3 straight cashes to start the year and I really don’t think stepping up in competition level will have much of any influence on him as his stuff elite, elite stuff can deal with any lineup in baseball imo., it more about him that day than who he facing, some teams will do more damage when he off but when he on nobody will hit him!!

I have watched or charted his pitches in every start. Im fascinated by him as I am any pitcher coming from Japan after I saw all the talent they had pitching on their WBC team! I wouldn’t want to be a aging hitter that has to go to the Japan league for a year and hope to show I can still play. Hitting that pitching no joke. I dunno how deep the pitching is in Japan league or if there a drop off after the guys in the WBC? I know Senga won their equivalent of the cy young 3x which made me instantly assume he was really good!! Cardinals need to establish some relationships and get a Japan pitching pipeline feeding the club! They need to figure something out and we don’t have a starting pitcher close to as talented as the top 5-6 guys I saw in WBC! We got Mikolas from Japan, how bout getting some the jap pitchers with way better stiuff?!??

Back