Thursday Play Article: UCF vs FIU

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Like the ever wise BAR predicted, my being banned from Covers is increasingly feeling like a blessing in disguise.:tiphat: I'm always surprised how somebody who is from the area of one of the teams I happen to be capping pops in and is able to set me straight without being a jerk like most of the guys on Covers and make for some extra good discussion. :cheers3:BOL :tiphat:

FIU Lacks the Weapons To Keep Up With UCF

UCF is currently favored by 17 points in their season opener on Thursday at home vs FIU. UCF enjoys multiple match-up advantages against FIU that should help them procure an easy win.

UCF: An Offense Growing in Respectability

Under Scott Frost, who became Head Coach for UCF last season, UCF went from being a winless team in 2015 to a 6-win team in 2016. A big reason for the improvement was the transition to a "UCFast" system: UCF's offense was 38th in plays per game last season because Frost wanted them to pick up the tempo. A fast tempo makes it difficult for an opposing defense to make necessary adjustments and make substitutions, meaning that defenders will become more quickly fatigued. The thing is, a quick-paced offense takes a lot of practice to run. UCF returns key offensive players who will enter their second year under Frost. Beginning Thursday, we should see an even more efficient UCF.

Efficiency is key because UCF lacks that Heisman candidate, that big playmaker or even a quarterback with a big arm that can take over a game by himself. UCF has a number of tools that will help them dominate the game by controlling a lot of time of possession. McKenzie Milton is UCF's rising Sophomore quarterback. The dual threat talent has drawn comparisons to the likes of Marcus Mariota and caught the attention of former Pro Bowl quarterbacks such as Donovan Mcnabb. He won't get the ball down the field, but he is a playmaker who makes use of the talent that he has round him.

Milton has another rising Sophomore talent behind him in Adrian Killins. Killins was a reserve player last year. But he showed a lot of speed and athleticism that helped him average 6.5 yards per carry and break off a few big plays, including an 87 yard run. Against FIU last season, he ran for 86 yards (61 of which came in one run) in 6 carries and a touchdown.

Milton's best target is Tre'Quan Smith. He is the undisputed number 1 receiver, partly thanks to departing talent and Tristan Payton's suspension. Smith is best known for his big-play circus catches and produced a very respectable 853 yards last season. The versatile Killins also provides another target out of the backfield.

UCF's offensive line is not reliable, but also doesn't create a huge problem because of Milton's mobility and Killins' big-play ability. UCF has a strong rushing attack and is profiting from the developing chemistry between Smith and Milton. FIU returns most defensive players, but the ones they do miss include their leader at linebacker, Davison Colmon, and some meat in the interior line. I expect FIU to have problems dealing with Killins up the middle, especially because Killins also has the speed to break outside. UCF's rush attack should keep FIU's defense honest. But even though FIU's secondary is very experienced, they were somewhat of a joke last season in terms of number of yards allowed and turnovers forced. FIU's defense was punished for not being able to get itself off of the field.

Can FIU Keep Up with UCF?

A large part of UCF's success last season stemmed from their strong defensive play, but they lose all four starters from the secondary. UCF's most exciting new face in the secondary will be Alabama transfer Shawn Burgess-Becker who UCF coaches have been touting as an offseason standout. FIU does not have the offensive firepower with which to exploit UCF's developing weaknesses.

FIU does return a lot of experience on offense, but also brings in a new coaching staff. The offensive coordinator is new, as is the defensive coordinator and the Head Coach. I love Butch Davis as a coaching selection in the long run because he has proven to be able to turn teams around--has anybody forgotten the 2001 Miami Hurricanes? But this is Davis' first year. Besides having to teach his old dogs new tricks, Davis will have to deal with players that he didn't recruit.

Davis' first disappointment will be quarterback Alex McGough. McGough boasts all of 3 career 300-yard passing games in his career at FIU. So he's not the guy that one wants to exploit a weakened secondary. The rising senior is also coming off of his worst career season, where he threw almost as many interceptions (11) as touchdowns (13). Training reports have it that McGough went back to the basics during the offseason.

While FIU does have a respectable running attack with the speedy duo of Alex Gardner and Anthony Jones, they share UCF's problems up front with blocking. While UCF's offensive line will not get punished for their deficiencies because of Milton's mobility and FIU's own weaknesses and departures on the defensive line, the same cannot be said for FIU. UCF's strength will be its defensive line. They were one of the nation's most underrated last season in their first season with defensive coordinator Erik Chinander's 3-4 system. They possess a heavy proportion of talent and depth with which to rotate players in order to keep them fresh. Tony Guerad surprised last season by leading the line with 62 tackles. He will be helped by senior Jamiyus Pittman and a lot more.

The Verdict

The key is in the trenches. UCF can run down FIU's throat with Killens and Milton, while FIU lacks the interior line to put up a fight. FIU lacks the big play quarterback to keep up with UCF's trio of Milton, Killens and Smith. But FIU will also struggle to mount a rushing attack behind an offensive line that will be outmatched by the depth and talent of UCF"s defensive line.

UCF -17

Last edited:
Disagree with a lot of your conclusions but your write up is full of information, as always and your play is thought out.

Cannot wish good luck on this one but when I lose, I can be happy that you cashed.

I can only reciprocate amigo :cheers3:

Maybe UCF wins by 17 and we can be complacent :tiphat:

Feel free to provide some counterpoints...these admittedly aren't teams that I normally follow closely:boxing:

running a lot of plays is good if you are better (which in this case they are) but while they ran 975 or 977, their opponents ran something like 1008. I don't think there is a qb edge for ucf, i don't think there is a coaching edge for ucf, and i don't think ucf can reload on defense either. 113th team in the nation in yards per play on offense last year so they would have to improve a lot from that before I started laying three scores with them. I mean they ran 977 plays or so and only 51 for 20 yards or more. They didn't make big plays. Granted the one team they woodshedded was FIU but that was a big revenge game for UCF and I think last years blow out gives a motivation edge to FIU in this one. FIU got bigger and faster in the offseason so a lot of the physical edges should be diminished as well. I actually see a lower scoring game .. something like 30-17 or 30-20 or there about.

I am usually wrong though. So enjoy spending my money

Ok, good stuff.

Your second point about plays run by opponents is a non-sequitur from the first. I think Milton has a lot more upside in his second year under Frost in a system he fits in well as a dual threat than a guy who is coming off a gross season and has to learn a new concept from his new offensive coordinator and head coach. Continuity vs change. You cite ucf's yards per play without putting it in context here next to fiu's defensive numbers. Their big play back was a reserve last season. He himself had many big plays in relation to his small workload and he can pull them off rushing and passing. I don't think they need so many big plays though, this spread is 17, not 30. They just need to win three quarters by 7-3 an one by 7-0. I saw that defeat, chalked it up personally to fiu being in a rough patch in the season. Last year was last year i can't imagine ucf taking fiu any more lightly. Fiu's offseason improvements consist of new recruits who perhaps add depth but are still unproven. Fiu also lost some core play in the middle of their defense.

Meh i'm wrong a lot too amigo. This is just one game and there are many more to come.

Last edited:
Why would it be a bad thing?:tiphat: Are you in the jinxing business? You're a very smart dude:cheers3: but any smart dude can make bad plays sometimes. And any noob can make great plays sometimes. As a former philosophy student at UVA I see it being all about the level of reasoning behind the play:boxing:

Where did all the mass of smilies go? I loved overusing those things.

I have points and yes I'm a City fan. Remind me before Saturday and I'll put some essay together that will go unread about this game. In flops.

Just too tired to do it tonight.

Will be Fri night at earliest but yes, in fact it might be whittled down to a couple paragraphs. I'll copy/paste what I sent to VK with a couple brief thoughts but I'm just exhausted with end of the month this month. And I honestly don't have a massive opinion about this one, but I do have an opinion.

C/P coming in a sec. I'm happy to expand if/when I have the attention span to do it. That's not now lol.

Takes a lot out of me to do write-ups in virtually any sport when they hardly get read, sometimes I just wonder why I take the time. And my opinion isn't strong but do feel UCF will come guns a blazin against the in-state rival in which they likely have some high school rivalries and far better talent. Not that I degrade the chip on the shoulder FIU team either, I don't. But the talent disparity is real. Throw in the couple personal fouls we know FIU will absorb at minimum and I've got no problem laying the number. You obviously disagree but I won't be surprised to see UCF hold them to single digits.

Simplified thoughts, I can get into it more but do realize I'll never be an x/o handicapper. First week can be tough on me, I like situations. But I do have more thoughts.

You mean I obviously agree? Yea I get that about the write-ups, I get paid but they also get edited to the point where I don't dare to read the finished work and it sucks knowing that people will only read the butchery that the editors commit on my article.
Why are you so out of it? Maybe wear sandals when you write too and not just during golf?

And I don't wear sandals, I wear flops. Virtually everywhere, except on the golf course lol.

It was 108 here today, will be triple digits for another month. Can't imagine wearing anything but.

Ooo dry heat no humidity, I always wonder what that feels like. Bama humidity can feel brutal:boxing:, makes me want to take naps

Don't laugh but it's been around 40% humidity and everyone just gets angry, always the case 5 months into triple digits and monsoon season, it's a high number given the temp. I grew up in 90+% humidity in the Midwest and have spent my share of time in the southeast in terrible humidity, hell spent 10 days in S Fla in late June/early July and that was miserable...but this is no joke. Everyone just ready for cooler temps, it's literally 6-7 months of heat but the first 5 are dry and fine....this is that time of year where no one smiles at each other lol

That sounds awful. That was precisely one of my favorite things about the upper midwest when I was there, people smiled at each other. I can't believe the Arizona Cardinals are able to practice in that heat

I apologize, my work and sleep schedule didn't allow me to expand which I promised to do, kinda making me question whether I should even post picks as opposed to just hang in discussion threads because I'm always happy to discuss the "why" but sometimes lately that's been in the middle of the night for me. I've done write ups in different sports but often get no response so just don't know if the effort is worth it but I did tell you I'd get back to you on this and instead not only didn't give you much, I woke up close to 3pm today and it was game time. So typical take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Hope you do well this season mate.

UCF has a "clown car" of talent! Anouncer said it twice!

Good call VCavs

I apologize, my work and sleep schedule didn't allow me to expand which I promised to do, kinda making me question whether I should even post picks as opposed to just hang in discussion threads because I'm always happy to discuss the "why" but sometimes lately that's been in the middle of the night for me. I've done write ups in different sports but often get no response so just don't know if the effort is worth it but I did tell you I'd get back to you on this and instead not only didn't give you much, I woke up close to 3pm today and it was game time. So typical take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Hope you do well this season mate.

Well I would definitely like to read what you have to say. But no sweat mate, i'm in college so I know what a busy schedule it's like...:boxing:one can only do what one can do and priorities come first, which isn't write-ups. Hope you've been able to rest up and find time to catch America's finest men. Enjoy the action and I hope you do well, too amigo :cheers3:

Back