Staff member
3-Pack Mixed August 10: 1 Side, 1 Prop, and 1 Parlay

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Tampa Bay Rays
Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 6:40 p.m. ET at Tropicana Field in St. Louis

• Matthew Liberatore reliably struggles against lineups with at least a pulse
  • Tampa Bay has the edge both in its starting pitching and in its bullpen
  • Key trends foretell a Rays win

Who Starts for St. Louis?

Matthew Liberatore starts for the Cardinals tonight.

Especially against lineups with a pulse, Liberatore is worth fading because his foothold in professional baseball is tenuous.

The fact that he is, at best, a fringe-professional pitcher is evident in his 6.93 ERA.

It's also evident in his most recent starts: before allowing five earned runs in 5.2 innings to Minnesota, he allowed four earned runs in 0.1 innings in Miami.

Liberatore hands out a lot of cheap gifts in the form of walks.

Liberatore's Arsenal

But Liberatore has more significant problems with his arsenal.

He throws a fastball, curveball, sinker, slider, and changeup.

As heat maps show, he has an awful tendency to leave pitches in the middle parts of the plate where batters tend to do greater damage.

Tampa Bay has the advantage of already being intimately familiar with Liberatore, who used to be a Ray.

Tampa Bay's Pitching Edge

The Rays have a twofold pitching edge.

One, they start Zack Littell.

Littell enters today's game in strong form, having allowed a combined total of two earned runs in his last two starts, which took place in Houston and Detroit, respectively.

Two, they have a much stronger bullpen.

St. Louis's owns the eighth-worst bullpen in terms of ERA, whereas Tampa Bay has one of baseball's better bullpens.

Key Trends

After yesterday's Cardinals' victory, this is just the spot in which to expect a Rays win.

St. Louis is 0-6 in its last six games following a win.

Conversely, the Rays are 4-0 in their last four games following a loss.

Best Bet: Rays RL at +113 with BetOnline

Colorado Rockies vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 10:10 p.m. ET at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles

• Ty Blach reliably struggles against quality lineups
  • Mookie Betts is enjoying a tremendous August
  • Betts matches up well against Betts

Who Starts for Colorado?

Ty Blach starts for the Rockies today.

Once again Blach, in his last start, showed his true colors: he allowed eight hits and four earned runs in 4.2. innings to St. Louis.

It is clear that his recent strong starts before his last were the product of soft competition: he had succeeded against A's and Marlins lineup that rank bottom-five in runs per game.

His failure against St. Louis shows again that lineups with a pulse reliably thrive against him.

Because the Dodgers' lineup has more than just a pulse, it will score a lot of runs today, which means that individual Dodgers batters will accrue many at-bats and thus get more chances to achieve their hitter props.

Blach's Arsenal

Blach throws a sinker, changeup, cutter, and curveball.

He throws his sinker more than half the time.

This pitch lacks quality but he also doesn't have alternatives.

His sinker suffers from average and unimpressive movement and from a tendency to land in the more middle parts of the strike zone where batters tend to do greater damage.

While his changeup and curveball also yield high slugging rates, his cutter is the most vulnerable.

Opponents slug .632 against his cutter.

Mookie Betts

My favorite Dodgers batter to invest in tonight is Mookie Betts.

Betts is having an amazing August: in this month, he's batting .342 and slugging .763.

His outlook tonight is especially positive because he matches up superbly against Blach.

He is 16-for-49 with a .796 slugging rate against Blach's pitches from lefties.

Best Bet: Mookie Betts Total Bases over

Kansas City Royals vs. Boston Red Sox
Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Fenway Park in Boston

• James Paxton is in a good bounce-back spot
  • The Red Sox match up well against Kansas City's low-quality starter
  • Boston's cold hitting form will keep the game under the posted total

Who Starts for Boston?

The Red Sox start James Paxton tonight.

Paxton is in a great spot because he's coming off a bad start and he reliably bounces back.

He yielded an ERA over 4.00 in three starts before his last one.

In each of the starts that directly followed such an outing, he allowed two earned runs or fewer.

A similar trend applies to the start directly following one in which he collected a loss.

Paxton's Arsenal

Paxton's repertoire makes him reliable in general.

In descending order of frequency, he throws a fastball, cutter, curveball, and changeup.

His fastball, for example, is difficult to hit because it enjoys relatively strong horizontal movement.

Moreover, he ably distributes it along different parts of the strike zone.

But his second- and third-most frequent pitches are his most effective ones: opponents slug .385 and .216 against them, respectively.

Who Starts for the Royals

Alec Marsh starts for Kansas City tonight.

Marsh reliably allows opponents to be productive.

This is evident in his most recent starts: in his last 11.2 innings as a starter, he's allowed twelve earned runs.

Marsh's Arsenal

Marsh throws a fastball, slider, changeup, and curveball.

He lacks a pitch that he can really rely on.

Opponents slug .488 against his fastball, .533 against his slider, .864 against his changeup, and .600 against his curveball.

Boston's Lineup

Boston's hitting outlook is strong because it ranks sixth with a .435 slugging rate against Marsh's pitches from righties.

However, Boston's consistent struggle lately to score more than a few runs per game ensures that the game will stay "under."

Best Bet: Parlay Red Sox ML at -227 & under 10.5 at +100 at +188 with BetOnliine

I don’t trust Rays pitcher (man that team has been wrecked by starting pitcher injuries, feel bad for them). Doesn’t he throw mostly fastball, cutter, splitter? Cards offense can deal with that, often smashes cutters. I love Rays offense tonight tho (as I text you), I love playing team totals against Liberatore anyways, I’d think tonight a even stronger angle since rays know exactly what’s wrong w him, that why they traded cards this bum!! I see they don’t have one lefty in lineup, I doubt that a accident. I love me some rays team total over or game over as I think cards could score some runs too.

I didn’t see a Thursday discussion thread! Hope everyone is doing well. Not much changed here, lots of time at the dr/hospital getting treatment, Theresa is actually holding up way better than I thought, maybe it hasn’t been long enough yet but I expected her to look like walking death as you see lots of unfortunate folks w late stage 3, she is tired a lot, I have to help her some days but for most part she eats and hasn’t been getting real sick, she did start getting sores in her mouth that made it harder on her but think they getting those under control with some medication. I havnt had lot of time to worry bout capping but miss it and talking with ya’ll. I just needed some time: I dunno how much I’ll be betting anytime soon but I’m gonna try to post every now and then at least. Next week is big for us, they hope to see that the cancer is getting smaller before they move on to next step so fingers crossed! Hopefully things looking up before football starts! Lol

I don’t trust Rays pitcher (man that team has been wrecked by starting pitcher injuries, feel bad for them). Doesn’t he throw mostly fastball, cutter, splitter? Cards offense can deal with that, often smashes cutters. I love Rays offense tonight tho (as I text you), I love playing team totals against Liberatore anyways, I’d think tonight a even stronger angle since rays know exactly what’s wrong w him, that why they traded cards this bum!! I see they don’t have one lefty in lineup, I doubt that a accident. I love me some rays team total over or game over as I think cards could score some runs too.

I didn’t see a Thursday discussion thread! Hope everyone is doing well. Not much changed here, lots of time at the dr/hospital getting treatment, Theresa is actually holding up way better than I thought, maybe it hasn’t been long enough yet but I expected her to look like walking death as you see lots of unfortunate folks w late stage 3, she is tired a lot, I have to help her some days but for most part she eats and hasn’t been getting real sick, she did start getting sores in her mouth that made it harder on her but think they getting those under control with some medication. I havnt had lot of time to worry bout capping but miss it and talking with ya’ll. I just needed some time: I dunno how much I’ll be betting anytime soon but I’m gonna try to post every now and then at least. Next week is big for us, they hope to see that the cancer is getting smaller before they move on to next step so fingers crossed! Hopefully things looking up before football starts! Lol

Discussions pointless without the bank!

Hope your girl continues to battle and you hear great news next week. Prayers up.

Discussions pointless without the bank!

Hope your girl continues to battle and you hear great news next week. Prayers up.

Man I’m worried, it’s great she holding up so well to the treatment (I’m so proud of her), but they keep saying the bleeding should stop and she keeps having bouts of it not to mention other disgusting shit that would make you look at pussy the way I imagine @VirginiaCavs does (not like us normals who love it!!! Lol). No sense making more of it than it is till we go see the higher ups next Wednesday, I’m not a dr so wtf do I know? It might be going great!!

I think the worst for me isn’t taking care of her and house, I’m ok with that other than shit keeps breaking!! Our ac went out the week it was 105 all week! The hardest is my whole adult life the woman I’m with has doubled as my secretary so I’ve never had to do any this adult crap like make calls. Appointments, bills, all that shit normal ppl do that I find excruciating! Lol. I’ve gotten pretty good at it I guess, lot of the nurses or dr’s comment how on top of shit I am more so than most ppl, I guess Theresa was always so organized im trying to keep it that way. The only thing that has me ready to lose my shit and go postal is this low down cock sucking prudential short term disability shit, these Mfers love collecting money from everyone year after year while mostly nothing happens to them. Then shit does happen and all a sudden these Mfers seemingly forget the deal and go out their way not to pay shit!! I’m getting so tired of dealing w these assholes and we still havnt seen a dime!! Today we get email saying one dr or another hasn’t filled out one of their bull shit forms, we call dr office and they tell me they did it, I believe them and I know 98% the time they on top of anything like that cause unlike the insurance company they actually give a shit! So get back on phone with these pole smoking scumbags for 15 min till they finally decide they do have wjayever the fuck it was they had to have!!! Apparently that wasn’t the magic forum tho cause still no money!! We up to a fucking month and a half they owe us for and they got us begging for shit that technically ours! I swear I can’t even say what I’d like to do to these ppl!! Who knew I could find a group of Mfers I hated more than lawyers! I’m close to getting one of them, don’t even care if they take half, hell I’ll pour gas on the check and light it, I just want them to write it!!!

Jfc. Sorry I came back to post that guys. I woulda never believed Liberatore could do this to anyone, let alone team who shoulda known exactly what to expect. I never seen him strike out this many, go this long, or not allow runs!! I think he shut milw out for 5 innings once but it didn’t look like this. Call me crazy but this the end of rays season imo. I mean they been more and more screwed every time another starter went down. We all knew when you peak In April and may you probably not winning it all, but getting shit on by this pitcher is just the final sign they shouldn’t even make the playoffs, they might have built up enough equity to make it but that cool, they instant fade in 1st round!

Back