Thursday Pick

catfood

Flying Frenchman
The Calgary Flames do not allow too many 5 on 5 goals of late. They dont score too many either. Yesterday they lost because Washington has a good powerplay and scored all their goals on the PP. Atlanta's powerplay sucks. Calgary has more to play for and they have more team toughness than Atlanta. And Calgary was my pick at the beginning of the year to win it all. I still think they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Calgary Flames -0.5 2.150 :shake:

Nashville looks appetizing against Los Angeles but the odds are bad and road underdogs have been covering the +1.5 puckline against -200 or more home favourites a lot this year, so be careful.

Insane :D exactly the play I was looking at. We seem to have some sort of psychic connection in the last few days Cat, it's strange since we've mostly been looking at different situations throughout the season, rarely had matching plays, but you won't see me complaining about us agreeing on plays. :smiley_acbe:

GL tonight, I'll most likely be on the Flames myself, just trying to decide which way I am going to play them. At first I wanted to pound the PL, as the price is insane (2.95) for a team that has just recaptured their scoring touch, also going against a totally lost bunch not even resembling a team right now.

Worrying fact: this has been a home oriented series for the most part, home team being 7-0-1 in last 8 games. However, I'm looking for this trend to buck tonight as the Flames are in hunt for the division title (not only that, but they can be ANYWHERE from 1-4 in Northwest once the regular season is done) and the Thrash are winners of 1 (ONE) game out of last 10. It's safe to say these guys do not play with the same intensity any more. But as I said, I am still looking at a SU option, even ML, after all Atlanta have played 4 OTs in last 6 games. Continuance of this trend tonight or? This tells me Atlanta are not taking anything lightly, but 1 win in 10 speaks a lot about the lack of any kind of killer instinct.

Last game they were blown out by Colorado, to be perfectly honest I'm thinking the same could occur tonight. The Flames have finally found their offensive chemistry, it's been a while since these guys scored goals as easily, Iginla has become their leading scorer in franchise history, they're in hunt for the division title...Yes they did lose last night in Washington but this is a different game here, the Thrash are nowhere that desperate nor good right now. Don't forget, the Caps do not lose easily since their coaching change, it's a different team since then. Great, absolute spot on point by Cat about the PP units. Caps take advantage of their extra men chances, Thrashers do not. This is a must win game for Calgary, if they lose to Atlanta it will affect them big time.

The PL price here is great, mostly due to the fact the Flames still carry the stigma of a troubled offensive team, and the Thrash actually staying in games for the OTs. But the last game they played could indicate of how their season is going to end.

Just a thought.

also looking at (early leans):

Montreal (especially curious to hear your thoughts on this one).
Downside: Ottawa owns Habs, and it's a huge divisional clash, I will likely stay away unless something catches my attention.

Colorado (strong lean) (PL of course), I think Edmonton ends their run and slides down, starting tonight. Pinnacle not offering this yet. Would look for 2.15 or more to play the PL.

take a look at this for a sec:

* Oilers are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. Western Conference.
* Oilers are 7-1 in their last 8 overall.
* Oilers are 6-1 in their last 7 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
* Oilers are 5-1 in their last 6 games following a win.
* Oilers are 5-1 in their last 6 games playing on 1 days rest.
* Oilers are 4-1 in their last 5 Thursday games.

Great huh? These guys really stepped up. But let's analyze this a bit.

After beating Colorado (revenge anyone?) and Detroit (both in a rough spot at that time), they went on a surge.
Code:
Feb 28	LA	 Won 5-4	30-30-5	Mathieu Garon	Dan Cloutier	16,839
Mar 2	CLB	Won 4-3 (SO)	31-30-5	Mathieu Garon	Pascal Leclaire	16,839
Mar 4	NSH	Lost 1-5	31-31-5	Dan Ellis	Mathieu Garon	16,839
Mar 7	@CLB	Won 2-1 (OT)	32-31-5	Mathieu Garon	Pascal Leclaire	14,933
Mar 9	@CHI	Won 6-5 (OT)	33-31-5	Mathieu Garon	Patrick Lalime	20,619
Mar 11	STL	Won 4-3 (OT)	34-31-5	Mathieu Garon	Manny Legace

LA, CLB (twice), NSH, CHI, STL? Not exactly creme de la creme. Colorado will test them tonight, and avenge the loss in style.

Check this out:
* Oilers are 16-34 in their last 50 vs. a team with a winning record.
* Oilers are 13-32 in their last 45 vs. Northwest.
* Oilers are 6-15 in their last 21 in the fourth game of a 4-in-6 situation.
* Oilers are 8-22 in their last 30 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.

Bolded the most interesting parts.

We don't need any "Colorado owns everyone at home" trends, we all know that, right? Also, this come-from-behind effort these guys have pulled out is great. The Avs are rockin' right now.

LA price is tempting, Nashville don't seem to be in a good spot, can't put away opponents...tough to play a disinterested team though...no bet.

Dallas @ Detroit
Absolute no bet. Sit and watch game for me, will be supporting my boys tonight, but as far as betting goes, this game is a no go.

No interest in the remaining games either, so at the moment I am looking at Calgary and Colorado, possibly will play them both, will let you guys know of which bets I actually pulled the trigger on.

Cheers & sorry for hijacking your thread Cat :D :shake: should try decaf next time.:36_11_6:

Thoughts anyone? :popcorn:

BOL...i'm also liking the devils to bounce back after that 4 nothing loss to montreal and looking at montreal/ottawa over and the canucks -0.5

Great post Satyr...I dont know if I can go against Edmonton. Theyre playing for something: Anaheim owns their upcoming first round pick and the oilers seem to not want to finish in the bottom lottery group so as to not give the Ducks a good pick.

As far as Montreal goes...I find it hard to back the habs at home because this team does not have the ingredients that I think make a good team (size up the middle, 5 on 5 play etc) they lose face offs all the time, theyre getting outshot all the time lately, BUT they keep getting it done with their PP and solid goaltending. Ive been following the habs for as long as I can remember and what is happening is like 1986, it is special, they have that magic I can feel it. Not only has belief entered, it is now well anchored. Theres incredible energy in Montreal, the team and the fans, and I dont mean to get esoteric but that habs magic is like a freight train it will be hard for anyone to stop it in the playoffs. Still waiting for the numbers to come out but I do think the habs get it done tonight. Alfredsson and Chris Neil are both out and both are habitual Habs killers. But I dont know if Ill play it, sometimes I like to just watch the game and give my nerves the night off lol

Great posts satyr and cat..but those oil stats are stunning@ :| bleh...calgary pl does look tempting..two teams headed in two different directions...

True gsro, those stats do tell something and its true Edmonton hasnt beaten anyone special lately.

Thanks SC... Just read Alfie's status has changed and he will make a game time decision, so no play on the Montreal game for me.

Agree with you totally on the flames game and as far as the nashville game, I can see the preds winning by 2, maybe 3-0 or 4-1 game. Good Luck

Its been a real tough month for road teams in sports. These crap home teams are waking up and having the games of their lives when they are counted out.
Flames should have won this game easy, but Atlanta decided to play the best game of their season tonight.

Sorry for speaking too soon, cat. Just saw the score. Up 3-0, lost 4-6? B2B situation must've got them after that tough contest yesterday.

What a crazy game...wow. Btw, it seems the home team trend in this series continues, and I'm beginning to think it's no coincidence, after all, weren't the Flames Atlanta's team for like 30 years?

Sorry for speaking too soon, cat. Just saw the score. Up 3-0, lost 4-6? B2B situation must've got them after that tough contest yesterday.

Oh thats quite alright BC, I myself jumped to that conclusion also after it was 3-0 and Calgary's great record of not giving up leads too easy...It had been a while since there was a 'what shouldn't happen is gonna happen to more than one team' day in the NHL. 0-1 for the night.

Back