Three Upsets Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Daily Upset Alert: MLB Underdog Picks

Arizona Diamondbacks vs. San Diego Padres
Tuesday, April 1, 2021 at 4:10 p.m. ET at Petco Park in San Diego

Don’t Worry About Madison Bumgarner

There is a tremendous amount of betting value available to the Diamondbacks in this game for two reasons: one reason is the preseason hype that San Diego is receiving.

A second reason is Arizona starting pitcher Madison Bumgarner. Bumgarner performed awfully last year. So recency bias may misguide bettors to underrate him this year.

I don’t want to simply say that we should forget last season because of how unusual it was.

But for Bumgarner, last season’s unusualness affected his training regimen. His Spring Training started out great. But then the shutdown happened.

He completely lost his positive form as evident in, among other things, the stark reduction of his fastball velocity.

2021 promises to be a bounce-back season for Bumgarner, though, who has the form and extra motivation to reestablish himself as a pitcher worthy of starting on Opening Day.

His career opposing slugging rate against Padre batters is inflated by the number of home runs that he allowed to them last season.

Yet Padre batters are still only hitting .208 against him.

Among those Padre batters, two starters will be absent today due to injury: catcher Austin Nola and center fielder Trent Grisham.

Yu Darvish

Oddsmakers fail to account for the streak of bad starts in San Diego starter Yu Darvish’s season-opening performances.

Darvish has yielded an ERA higher than 6.00 in three of his last four first starts of the season and an ERA over 5.00 in all four of his last first starts.

Moreover, his numbers are terrible against active Diamondback batters, many of whom will get to see him from the left side today.

They hit .296 and slug .565 in 108 combined career at-bats against Darvish. Look out especially for lefty David Peralta, who is 4-for-7 (.571) with two homers in his career against Darvish.

Because of the price attached to Darvish today, you can take the underdog on the run-line.

Best Bet: Diamondbacks First-Half +.5 at +122 with Bookmaker

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Colorado Rockies
Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 4:10 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Coors Field in Denver

Clayton Kershaw

The Dodgers are favored so heavily largely because future Hall-of-Famer Clayton Kershaw is on the mound.

Kershaw’s career success justifies the heavy chalk. But his current pitching form does not justify the chalk and that’s what we’re concerned with now: with how Kershaw looks now.

in Spring Training, Kershaw yielded a 10.22 ERA in 12.1 innings.

More concerning than his ERA is the reduction in his fastball velocity. In Spring Training, his fastball ranged from 88 to 90 mph.

German Marquez

Colorado’s starting pitcher today finds himself in a favorable situation: he has allowed one run or fewer in each of his last three season debuts.

Moreover, Marquez has grown past his prior struggles against the Dodgers. He’s allowed two runs or fewer in his last four starts against them.

Marquez’s success against Dodger batters stem from the increased variety in his pitching repertoire.

Dodger batters typically do well against fastballs. So with his reliance on his 96-mph-heater, Marquez didn’t match up well against Dodger hitters.

But he’s mixing in other pitches to the point where, last year, his fastball usage reached a career low for him.

Concentration

As an added bonus, we get to fade the defending champions. Three of the last four World Series defending champs have lost on Opening Day.

Sometimes, the concentration is missing because Opening Day involves a celebration of the prior season’s accomplishments.

Best Bet: Rockies First-Half +.5 at +116 with Bookmaker

Chicago White Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels
Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:05 p.m. ET at Angel Stadium in Anaheim

Lucas Giolito

We get to fade White Sox starter Lucas Giolito as he finds himself in a spot that is unfavorable in two respects:

Career-wise, he’s worse at night, where his ERA is 5.05, compared to 3.22 in the daytime.

A similarly strong distinction exists between his readiness in March and April and his readiness in later months.

He is characteristically a slow starter, yielding a 6.70 career ERA in March and April.

Dexter Fowler will prove to be a positive addition to the Angel lineup tonight as he is one of three active Angel hitters who slug at least .800 in their career against Giolito.

Dylan Bundy

Dylan Bundy does not share Giolito’s proclivity for slow starts as Bundy has allowed one run or fewer in each of his season debuts against teams not named the Yankees.

Bundy will face a White Sox lineup that misses slugger Eloy Jimenez due to injury, but still faces pressure to live up to the hype that it’s receiving.

The sabermetrics love Bundy. His xERA (expected ERA), for example, reached a career low 3.06 last year, making him a strong candidate to produce a solid ERA this season.

He improved himself by throwing fewer fastballs and mixing more off-speed stuff into his arsenal. This improved variety will be useful as it allows him to miss more bats.

Based on their numbers last season against the fastball, the White Sox would also prefer to see more fastballs.

Best Bet: Angels First-Half ML at +100 with BetOnline

You had me right up until “Fowler will prove to be a positive addition”,, lmfao. Interesting stuff, I really didn’t look far into any these 3, you make them all sound pretty good!! I might play the mls, fuck that half run! Only need 1 of those 1st 2 to win if ya play the ml.

Joined you on halos (so of course that be the one loser! Lol). Just cause I had to go cash tickets anyways so played halos Ff and game over 8. Good day regardless what happens in this one!

I consider myself very lucky to have done so well today because this is, as you may know, not at all my typical reasoning. But it's hard to do my usual match-up analysis early in the season, especially opening day. Also, the Dbacks were pretty lucky because I was counting on the starters. Just a pretty lucky day for me! I hope extra that Angels FF cashes since Banky is riding with me!

I dunno that it was luck, playing against overvalued teams yields good results!! Really don’t think teams should be laying -200 or more on opening day, one being at coors where anything can happen!

While you here what you think bout cards today? Great American park kinda been a house of horrors for waino in recent years! If that isn’t bad enough his numbers with randizzo behind the plate are awful! It been years since he called one of waino games but that makes it even more damning in a way cause not like it was during the time it looked like waino was finished. I’d think if he struggled with this ump in his prime it be even worse now that he more reliant on needing the corners!!

Cards have given waino lot of run support in recent years, I know that totally random but I’ve always thought guys tend to battle harder when he on the mound!! Cold didn’t slow either offense down gm 1 in this band box, now it warmer w a helping breeze out to left today! Can’t see any way to go besides over 9!!

Only concern would be reds pen pretty much shut us down, could be it was just a awful start by Castillo that made our offense look good!! Lol. I do have more hope for our lineup than I have in recent years! Carlson showed a lot of promise in the playoffs and has picked that up so far, so far O’Neal seeing the ball pretty well, if he allowed to play every day and not yanked every time he has a 0-8 slump he gonna hit 30+ bombs imo. Obviously we fixed the lack of all star production in heart of order with goldy and arenado, I’d like to see Carlson hit 2nd with goldy/arenado slid back a spot to 3-4!! The biggest bummer at the moment is dejung isn’t living up to the career trajectory I thought he had going on a few years ago! I’d prefer they went Carlson-goldy-arenado-O’Neal as 2 thru 5 and slide dejung back to 6th or 7th spot until he proves something to me!

While you here what you think bout cards today? Great American park kinda been a house of horrors for waino in recent years! If that isn’t bad enough his numbers with randizzo behind the plate are awful! It been years since he called one of waino games but that makes it even more damning in a way cause not like it was during the time it looked like waino was finished. I’d think if he struggled with this ump in his prime it be even worse now that he more reliant on needing the corners!!

Cards have given waino lot of run support in recent years, I know that totally random but I’ve always thought guys tend to battle harder when he on the mound!! Cold didn’t slow either offense down gm 1 in this band box, now it warmer w a helping breeze out to left today! Can’t see any way to go besides over 9!!

Four different Red batters -- Tuck, Moose, Votto, and Suarez all have solid career numbers vs. Waino. So that's obviously a good thing.

I do worry about Cardinal hitting. The lineup is so righty-heavy and Mahle's recent and career splits seem relatively drastic in terms of how he performs vs. lefties and vs. righties. Like he has a 6.16 FIP vs lefties in his career, but 3.52 vs righties.

Only concern would be reds pen pretty much shut us down, could be it was just a awful start by Castillo that made our offense look good!! Lol. I do have more hope for our lineup than I have in recent years! Carlson showed a lot of promise in the playoffs and has picked that up so far, so far O’Neal seeing the ball pretty well, if he allowed to play every day and not yanked every time he has a 0-8 slump he gonna hit 30+ bombs imo. Obviously we fixed the lack of all star production in heart of order with goldy and arenado, I’d like to see Carlson hit 2nd with goldy/arenado slid back a spot to 3-4!! The biggest bummer at the moment is dejung isn’t living up to the career trajectory I thought he had going on a few years ago! I’d prefer they went Carlson-goldy-arenado-O’Neal as 2 thru 5 and slide dejung back to 6th or 7th spot until he proves something to me!

Cards produced zero runs after the 4th inning. Since the playoffs two years ago I really worry about carrying over. Card bats cooled down in the blowout win vs Atlanta and then stayed very very cool hitting-wise against the Nats.

I’d probably put dejung 7th. Let Yadi hit 6th, that way if our big bats get on and then O’Neal strikes out as he will do plenty, then yadi will come up with men on with one or 2 outs, I’d prefer his situational hitting in that spot over dejung.

Cards produced zero runs after the 4th inning. Since the playoffs two years ago I really worry about carrying over. Card bats cooled down in the blowout win vs Atlanta and then stayed very very cool hitting-wise against the Nats.

I know, they didn’t strike out any vs Castillo either then they started fanning a bunch after he left!! Like I said I’m still far more optimistic than years past as the lineup looks way more legit on paper!!

Four different Red batters -- Tuck, Moose, Votto, and Suarez all have solid career numbers vs. Waino. So that's obviously a good thing.

I do worry about Cardinal hitting. The lineup is so righty-heavy and Mahle's recent and career splits seem relatively drastic in terms of how he performs vs. lefties and vs. righties. Like he has a 6.16 FIP vs lefties in his career, but 3.52 vs righties.

i didn’t dig too much into Mahle, figure if reds touch waino up cards will be able to muster a few at least!! The righty heaviness isn’t going away this year, edman and Carlson pretty much it from the left side!!

i didn’t dig too much into Mahle, figure if reds touch waino up cards will be able to muster a few at least!! The righty heaviness isn’t going away this year, edman and Carlson pretty much it from the left side!!

Yeah...yikes... don't forget our new friend Justin Williams tho :)

I also have really high hopes for DeJong. I don't want to see him be like what Piscotty became for us.

lol. I hate that the exact same name came to my mind!! I do think piscotty had some extenuating circumstances but regardless I agree we don’t want that to happen. I remember 2 years back I was touting Dejung as having a similar career trajectory as Story! I might have been a tad off there!! Lol. He quickly going from a guy I had really high hopes for to someone I want pushed down to 7th in order, lol. Guess it my fault for putting such high expectations on him but it really looked that way early on to me!!!

lol. I hate that the exact same name came to my mind!! I do think piscotty had some extenuating circumstances but regardless I agree we don’t want that to happen. I remember 2 years back I was touting Dejung as having a similar career trajectory as Story! I might have been a tad off there!! Lol. He quickly going from a guy I had really high hopes for to someone I want pushed down to 7th in order, lol. Guess it my fault for putting such high expectations on him but it really looked that way early on to me!!!

You should know from your experiences with Yadi that you need to kill the high expectations. Cuss Paul out and demean him in order to motivate and inspire him! :D

Yeah...yikes... don't forget our new friend Justin Williams tho :)

I don’t even know who the hell he is or where the heck he came from! Didn’t know he was lefty! Lol. The last 2 years when we were hearing bout all these young outfielders his name never came up!! My brother said his barrel rate and exit velo been pretty strong, they supposedly excited bout it, of course it very hard to trust cards evaluation process of outfielders in particular! I’d love nothing more for him to play well enough bader loses his starting gig while he out!!

Fun talk. Unfortunately I gotta get back to this damn project my mom asked me to do. I’m always getting stuck with these things! I have 2 other brothers, wtf!!

Waino having his typical struggles in cincy! He always has the worst luck here, I mean don’t get it twisted he gets smacked around some but in between hard hits he always gets these bloopers and seeing eye singles falling on him. Cards offense not doing shit so pile on reds!!

But yeah lots of runs like you said especially vs Waino

i love cashing a over by 4th inning!! :)

Great American park been a freaking house of horrors for waino last several years. I doubt the ump was all that relevant but he did have a awful history with him. Prob shoulda bet reds but they were favs and I try to avoid those, Ff -.5 woulda been a good plus money play.

O’Neal is 0 fer 3 with 3 k’s today. Ugh. I still want to see him in the lineup every day. Let him get 500+ abs and see where the chips fall. Up until this point anytime he had 2 bad days in a row he got yanked out starting lineup. Not only is playing everyday gonna help him but gotta think there a lot more pressure when you know a few bad days and you be sitting!

I shoulda just made a Cards season-long thread for us Banky but you always give me crap for not contributing enough (rightfully so!) lol

I shoulda just made a Cards season-long thread for us Banky but you always give me crap for not contributing enough (rightfully so!) lol

I was waiting to see it you have it up one of these days!! You know I’m not gonna take the initiative to do it! Lol. The problem is after you start them I often find myself talking to myself! I don’t like that! I don’t mind carrying the conversation but someone else gotta chime in!!

I was waiting to see it you have it up one of these days!! You know I’m not gonna take the initiative to do it! Lol. The problem is after you start them I often find myself talking to myself! I don’t like that! I don’t mind carrying the conversation but someone else gotta chime in!!

I can't tell by looking at the in-game thread that you don't like talking to yourself ;) but to be fair after a while you do express some measure of exasperation. Maybe i'll start one after the semester. When i'm home I can actually watch the Cards since i'll no longer be in freaking blackout territory!

I can't tell by looking at the in-game thread that you don't like talking to yourself ;) but to be fair after a while you do express some measure of exasperation. Maybe i'll start one after the semester. When i'm home I can actually watch the Cards since i'll no longer be in freaking blackout territory!

lmfao. Fair enough.

Why does Castellanos have to be such a dick?

I’d be a dick if they plunked me with a heater after i hit a bomb, and then jumped on my back with a knee when I slid into home! Lol. He shouldn’t have showed off on his hr so much!! We don’t take kindly to that!!

Back