Thoughts on This And a new Trend

My thoughts are that he's right. The dude left immediately, not at the end of the season. I understand why he may have done so, but that doesn't mean Stoops isn't right.

My immediate thought is, I wish Jayron Kearse had done the same thing instead of sticking around to lose the national championship for us.

Few thoughts:

A. Coaches are not held to the same standard as players are. A coach will up and leave the second an offer comes in, so why not a player? However, I do get that coaches usually leave after the season, not during. However, they still leave behind kids whos homes they sat in and promised to be their coach. This is the weakest of my points, but I do think it holds water.

B. The NCAA is crooked and the players don't get paid. I actually would love to see this happen more. What upside does this kid have to continue playing? Some shitty bowl? What does he have to lose? Millions and millions of dollars if he tears an ACL.

Im shocked it doesnt happen more often. I was rooting big time for fournette to not even play at all this year. Once their team is out of the running for the playoff, I support this decision 100%. The NCAA Does nothing for these players and they don't owe the league or the team a thing. Granted, if Oklahoma was undefeated it'd be different, but passing up a chance to make a run for the Sugar Bowl to guarantee you stay healthy and make millions is just a smart business decision.

Stoops comments are self-serving and there is no fukkin way he wouldn't bail mid-season if offered to jump on a HC opportunity....fukk him

Any kid that makes a rationale decision to look out for himself and his future should be applauded....I am sure it wasn't an easy decision.....fukk stoops again

Quite frankly, I wish more kids would do this....not sure Fournette should even be back playing (I know he is healthy, but what happens if.......)......I look at a guy like Luke Falk at Wazzu...Pirate runs this guy out there concussion after concussion...a couple more and his days may be over......if he does stay healthy, the kid may have a long career in the League as a back-up QB/spot starter.....UW just lost a Azeem Victor for the season and he has already said he plans to come back for his senior year...kid is so talented that he should just get healthy and think about the paycheck

It's all about the kids.........fukk stoops again

Stoops comments are self-serving and there is no fukkin way he wouldn't bail mid-season if offered to jump on a HC opportunity....fukk him

Any kid that makes a rationale decision to look out for himself and his future should be applauded....I am sure it wasn't an easy decision.....fukk stoops again

Quite frankly, I wish more kids would do this....not sure Fournette should even be back playing (I know he is healthy, but what happens if.......)......I look at a guy like Luke Falk at Wazzu...Pirate runs this guy out there concussion after concussion...a couple more and his days may be over......if he does stay healthy, the kid may have a long career in the League as a back-up QB/spot starter.....UW just lost a Azeem Victor for the season and he has already said he plans to come back for his senior year...kid is so talented that he should just get healthy and think about the paycheck

It's all about the kids.........fukk stoops again

yup well said. completely ridiculous to think that a guy like fournette could cost himself millions in an awful game vs florida that means nothing

[FONT=&quot]I can't (sit this one out)," he said. "It's the last home game. I want to be able to experience it with my brothers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I could have sat out (the season) but that's not me. I believe any athlete or any competitor loves to compete no matter what the circumstances. I would never jump ship on those guys. That's my character, how I was raised, how I was brought up. Despite when your back is against the wall, you're never going to give up."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fournette has a family to provide for with his daughter, Lyric, turning 2 years old in January. But he's going to miss the innocence of being in college.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It really is (a tough decision)," he said. "You think about everything you are leaving behind. You know you are going to have new things when you go but you also have memories and experiences you are leaving behind. It's fun, college is college, your best years. I love college, I love everything that it comes with."[/FONT]

I guess Fournette never heard of Marcus Lattimore.

Lattimore only got 1.7 million from his insurance policy, doesn't make up for what he lost out on with a pro career and being a first round pick.

I guess Fournette never heard of Marcus Lattimore.

Lattimore only got 1.7 million from his insurance policy, doesn't make up for what he lost out on with a pro career and being a first round pick.

yeah insurance is a pretty weak consolation when you consider ALL the money you could potentially make as a pro in terms of all contracts, endorsements, and then even a future in TV or coaching that you can get if you have a long career and learn a ton

I bet lattimore would go back and take away a few days of "experiences with his bros going to battle" or whatever cliche they wanna use, knowing what he knows now.

F Stoops and any coach who says this, but I would def want the pulse of my teammates and what they thought about this prior to doing it. Not all of them, just my closest bunch.

Mike Stoops' comments are not only self serving, they are as hypocritical as anything ever said.

A few years back Oklahoma was playing for the national title and had a lot of high draft choices on the team. Every one of them, when asked about leaving early or any other draft talk, said, "that's for the future, right now the only thing on our minds is this game." That had been drummed into them by the coaching staff and they bought in.

At the same time, Mike Stoops was negotiating for the Arizona job and a few days before the game left the team, flew to Arizona, and held a press conference and spent a couple of days recruiting. OU named Venables DC and the team got back to work.

Then Mike Stoops decided it would help him get publicity if he showed up at the game so he flew back and spent the days leading up to the game holding press conferences and appeared on the sideline at practices and during the game. So much for being a distraction to the team goals.

So not only is Mike Stoops a hypocrite, he is as big a hypocrite as you will find in college football.

Heard on the radio last night that the player was out for the season. Is that true? If so, then who cares if he leaves? Yeah it's kind of shitty to bail on your teammates but are they going to be there to support you if you get more hurt and undrafted? Though I can't imagine that he will be able to train anywhere that will be as nice as what OU can provide, not only in terms of facilities, but support, nutrition, etc. But I guess that would require him remaining a student

Back