Thoughts on Seahawks @ Eagles...

Aztec4Life

Montezuma Mesa Survivor
Just thought I'd get some discussion going on this game. I copied and pasted this from my other thread.

Seattle +3 @ Philadelphia --> They may be lucky, but the Seahawks have been playing much better lately. The Hawks are 4-1 SU & 4-1 ATS in their last five games, with their lone loss/non-cover coming in an overtime loss at Cleveland. The defense has responded in key situations, and Seattle continues to effectively pressure opposing QB's. Philadelphia did look very good against New England, but it has to be somewhat demoralizing to lose such a hardfought battle against the undefeated Patriots. I expect more of a flat performance this week from the Eagles, which could help the often slow starting Seahawks.

Also, compare the turnover margins the past 5 weeks...

Philadelpha is -8

Seattle is +3

I'll take the team that has been doing a better job at not turning over the ball. I'm fairly confident that Feely will not have a repeat performance this week, if a hobbled McNabb doesn't start. But the biggest key will be Hasselbeck, who should have success against the League's 29th ranked pass defense. As long as Seattle sticks to more of a no-huddle, hurry up offense (with the pass setting up the run), they should be able to move the ball and score points thoughout the game. And, few people are aware that Seattle's defense gives up the 4th fewest points in the NFL. The secondary has been solid for most of the season, and rarely gives up passing TD's. If the Hawks are smart, they will put 8-9 in the box to shut down Westbrook, and force Feely to beat them with his arm. And you can't overlook the Seattle special teams unit, which has been stepping it up lately, as the return game has provided both points and momentum-sparks.

Just a few more stats for you guys...

Seattle is 4-2 ATS in their last six games against Philadelphia.

The visiting team is 4-0 SU & 4-0 ATS in the last four matchups between these two teams (both of Seattle's victories were shutouts).

More than anything, I'm riding the hot SU & ATS team here. Hasselbeck wins the duel with Feely.

Prediction:

Seattle 30
Philadelphia 27

:cheers:

Hey Aztec, I will in on likelihood be passing this game, but I do lean the other way...

Yes, a little bitter about my Ram loss the other day; I know you were on the other side, but I'd call Seattle a lot more lucky than hot. IMO, no way they win that game if Bulger goes the whole way. 2nd straight roadie for seattle and they got a divisional with Az on deck. FWIW...Holmgren is 8-15 ATS in the eastern time zone coaching seattle. I will agree that their defense is slightly underrated, but that 4th fewest points scored is at least partially attributable to playing SF twice, already.

GL this week Aztec; I'll be passing our game but I definitely lean BYU. Have you seen the rushing numbers that we've given up? Also, almost 700 total yds to TCU LW...the most ever by the Aztecs.

Last edited:
Hey Aztec, I will in on likelihood be passing this game, but I do lean the other way...

Yes, a little bitter about my Ram loss the other day; I know you were on the other side, but I'd call Seattle a lot more lucky than hot. IMO, no way they win that game if Bulger goes the whole way. 2nd straight roadie for seattle and they got a divisional with Az on deck. FWIW...Holmgren is 8-15 ATS in the eastern time zone coaching seattle. I will agree that their defense is slightly underrated, but that 4th fewest points scored is at least partially attributable to playing SF twice, already.

GL this week Aztec; I'll be passing our game but I definitely lean BYU. Have you seen the rushing numbers that we've given up? Also, almost 700 total yds to TCU LW...the most ever by the Aztecs.

Thanks for the feedback bro! Yeah, TCU opened a can of whoop-ass on us from the 2nd Quarter on. Not a very inspiring performance by the defense, to say the least.

I definitely agree that Seattle's defensive statistics are skewed by the pair of dominant wins against San Fran. However, in this past Sunday's game against the Rams, Bulger had completed less than 50% of his passes & tossed 1 INT prior to getting knocked out. Not sure how effective Bulger would have been, but...you may be right.

Also, I'm curious as to how many times the Seahawks were favored when going 8-15 ATS?

I have a problem w/ the SU/ATS record on the road...the STL game should put it at 1-5 honestly....

Sea just doesn't travel well and this is an elimination game for the Eagles..

That was a game that will give them confidence IMO not demoralize them...

Shit, their head coach actually used the term moral victory in his post game presser..

Also they may have found a QB who's competent...which Donavan hasn't been for the better part of the 07 season.

I have a problem w/ the SU/ATS record on the road...the STL game should put it at 1-5 honestly....

Sea just doesn't travel well and this is an elimination game for the Eagles..

That was a game that will give them confidence IMO not demoralize them...

Shit, their head coach actually used the term moral victory in his post game presser..

Also they may have found a QB who's competent...which Donavan hasn't been for the better part of the 07 season.

Jump - Not sure what you mean by --> the STL game should put it at 1-5 honestly....

Of course it's just my opinion, but Seattle actually hasn't done THAT bad on the road this year. In their 5 road games this year, the Seahawks are 2-3 SU, but one loss was in OT to Cleveland by 3 (bad call by Holmgren), and the other was a gift to Arizona, with Seattle fumbling less than five yards out of field goal range at the tail end of the game. The Pittsburgh loss...they just got waxed, plain and simple. We haven't been good on the road this year by any means, but we definitely haven't been dog-shit either. Two of those losses were by 3 points.

I guess Philly's Sunday Night loss could be a morale boost. The Eagles showed everyone that they can play and possibly beat the best team in football. I just really think Feely comes crashing back down to Earth this week. Not saying he'll be god-awful, but 1-2 INTs wouldn't shock me. And Greg Lewis won't have another game like that for the rest of his career.

I'm sticking with my guns, and taking the points.

:shake:

It should read 1-4, not 1-5 ..was a typo...if the journeyman QB doesn't fumble the ball there it's a good chance 1-4 SU on the road is what they are...I don't consider that good...not at all..and not something I'll wager on...

that's all I meant dmac.

Jump - Now I gotcha! I hate that you and horses lean the other way, but...I'll still go with the team that's essentially one play away from being 5-0 SU & ATS in the past five weeks.

Thanks again for the feedback bro!

Isnt there some stat about west coast teams playing 1 oclock games on the east coast?

This games do or die for the birds...they know they pretty much have to win out at this point and gained alot of confidence from the New England game

In three previous meetings against the Eagles, QB Matt Hasselbeck has been sacked 11 times (including a career-high seven back in 2001) and has a 58.8 passer rating, his lowest against any NFC team.

Generally West Coast teams traveling to play an East Coast game in the early slot don't fare well.

The other problem is that Seattle isn't a very good road team in the first place.

I think the weather is key here, and I'll likely come back to this thread later with thoughts as I honestly don't know what the line is, my guess is either Seattle -3 or Seattle +3, or it started at one of those and has moved off it.

At Philly better than -2 I'd think about it, ML as a dog. But that's assuming no McNabb. Which may sound weird, but with McNabb in there you can't guarantee the offense will run through Westbrook, with him out you can. So then you're looking at Westbrook vs. Hasselbeck as the guys who are going to dictate the game. Westbrook's better, and he's at home.

Back