thoughts on international bowl

fairmountbull

Well? How do the bulls stop donald brown? They did have an answer for miquele lewis of ball state- plus their pinnacle was winning mac championship- I remember ball state playing rutgers last year- they had no answer for ray rice- yes the bulls hung with missouri but we have seen true mizzou! Huskies roll cuz I'm ready to go- not to mention 3 dogs cover today- 1 fav in cfb and one in the nfl- thoughts?

Gotta think the Bulls are the motivated team here...just my opinion.

i see the teams as mirror images of one another in a lot of ways but with uconn having the better athletes. The two big edges for buffalo seem to be the motivation you point out and the fact they have the much better qb. love both coaches.

its in toronto right?

gotta be more buffalo fans there youd think

plus buffalo has that coach everyones always talking about...

(thats the extent of my "analysis" of the international bowl)

Yeah, we need Husky's take on UConn.

This is a big game for Buffalo. First bowl ever, I believe. I have this feeling it's going to be like a home game for them.

I just know UCONN Qb is dogshit, but the RB, Brown is the shit. GOtta think Buff stacks the box and makes them throw. This is the advantage of having 4 weeks to prepare for a game like this from Buffalo perspective.

<!---------------------INLINE TABLE (BEGIN)--------------------> <table id="inlinetable" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="10" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Buffalo at Connecticut Matchups</th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">QB</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">RB</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">WR</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">OL</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">DL</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">LB</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">DB</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">ST</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">Coach</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="center" width="62">Overall</td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td align="center" width="62">
2084.gif
</td> <td align="center" width="62">
41.gif
2084.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
2084.gif
2084.gif
41.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!---------------------INLINE TABLE (END)-------------------->

Buffalo offense vs. Connecticut defense
RB James Starks' 1,308 rushing yards make him the second leading rusher in the MAC, and the junior became the Bulls' all-time career leading rusher in the regular-season finale. The 211-pound Starks is quick enough to turn the corner and strong enough to churn out the tough yards inside, but he will have his work cut out for him against a stingy Connecticut run defense.
The Huskies make up for their lack of size up front with quickness, and the defensive line should continue to be disruptive with DE Cody Brown, who has 15 tackles-for-loss, leading the way. In addition, MLB Greg Lloyd is expected to return to the lineup after missing the regular-season finale against Pittsburgh due to personal reasons. Lloyd and SLB Scott Lutrus have the range to help keep Starks bottled up. QB Drew Willy has put up impressive numbers this season, throwing for 3,091 yards and 25 touchdowns compared to just five interceptions. The senior can attribute a considerable amount of his success to WR Naaman Roosevelt, who finished with 1,312 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns. Roosevelt has the body control to make acrobatic catches in traffic, and he played his best football down the stretch. In addition, Ernest Jackson is an excellent No. 2 receiver. However, don't expect the Bulls to have much success moving the ball through the air either. Only seven FBS teams give up fewer passing yards per game than the Huskies, and CB Darius Butler is expected to return from an ankle injury that forced him to miss three games. Look for Butler to line up over Roosevelt in most situations, and he has the man-to-man cover skills to keep the talented receiver under wraps. In addition, Willy shouldn't have much time to survey the field. While the Bulls have struggled in pass protection, the Huskies' pass rush has racked up 27 sacks. <!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (BEGIN)--------------------> <table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="225"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="1" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><center>Connecticut vs. Buffalo</center></th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="225">
</td></tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="100%"> <table align="center"> <tbody><tr><td align="left"> </td> <td align="center">vs. </td> <td align="right"> </td></tr></tbody></table>
When: Jan. 3, ESPN2, noon ET
Where: Toronto, Ontario
Preview: Upstarts Buffalo, UConn face off </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!---------------------IN LINE TABLE (END)--------------------> Connecticut offense vs. Buffalo defense
RB Donald Brown averages better than 28 carries per game, and he leads the FBS in rushing ypg with 151.8. He is a slippery open-field runner who possesses outstanding vision and quickness. That doesn't bode well for a Buffalo run defense that's giving up an average of 4.6 yards per carry. OC Keith Gray along with OGs Moe Petrus and Zach Hurd should control the middle of the line of scrimmage working against DTs Anel Montanez and Ronald Hilaire. Meanwhile, OTs William Beatty and Mike Hicks are capable of sealing the edge working against DEs Mike Thompson and Andrae Smith. In addition, 193-pound SS Davonte Shannon and 195-pound Mike Newton can get engulfed when they line up close to the line of scrimmage, so the Bulls aren't in a position to consistently load up against the run. The lack of a consistent passing attack to keep opposing defenses honest makes Brown's production on the ground that much more impressive. QB Tyler Lorenzen is completing less than 50 percent of his passes, and he has thrown eight interceptions compared to just two touchdowns. In fairness to Lorenzen, he has battled injuries and the play of his receivers has been inconsistent at best. That said, there's reason to believe that Lorenzen and Co. will end the season on a high note. The Huskies' pass protection has been sound for the most part and only two FBS teams have recorded fewer sacks than the Bulls (12). With that in mind, Lorenzen should get enough time to scan the field, and his receivers should get enough time to separate from the coverage.

Special Teams
The Huskies replaced PK Tony Ciaravino, who has connected on nine of his 15 field goal attempts, with Dave Teggart earlier this year, and he's made the most of the opportunity. Teggart has connected on 12 of his 13 field-goal attempts, and he has a long of 47 yards.
In comparison, Bulls' PK A.J. Principe has two game-winning overtime field goals this year, but he's connected on just 10 of his 15 field-goal attempts and he has a long of just 40 yards. Don't be surprised to see Buffalo special teams coordinator Aaron Stamn stack the line of scrimmage and get after Connecticut PT Desi Cullen. Why? The Huskies have had six punts blocked, including two that were returned for touchdowns.

Prospects to watch
2084.gif
RB James Starks -- Starks lacks prototypical elusiveness, but he has the burst to turn the corner and he runs hard between the tackles.
QB Drew Willy -- Willy is an effective game manager who is tall enough to scan the field from within the pocket and puts excellent touch on his short-to-intermediate passes. • WR Ernest Jackson -- Jackson has above-average size, and he does a nice job of shielding defenders from the ball.
41.gif

CB Darius Butler -- Butler is a playmaker who has excellent instincts and isn't afraid to jump underneath routes. He's also fast and fluid enough to turn and run with receivers in man coverage.
DE Cody Brown -- At 248 pounds, Brown's lack of size is an issue, but he's a disruptive run defender and he shows above-average closing speed when rushing the passer. • LOT William Beatty -- Beatty is a powerful drive blocker who plays with a wide base and drives his legs once in position. He's also a reliable pass blocker who gets set quickly and does an adequate job of shuffling his feet.

Scouts' Edge
The Bulls have momentum on their side. While they won the MAC conference with an upset over then-BCS buster-hopeful Ball State, Connecticut has lost five of its last seven games. That said, the edge in momentum won't be enough for Buffalo to overcome its inability to win the battles in the trenches.
The Huskies' front four will help slow the Buffalo ground game and get to Willy when he drops back to pass. On the flipside, look for Connecticut's offensive line to open up plenty of holes for Brown and give Lorenzen ample time to find the open man downfield. It all adds up to a comfortable win for Connecticut.

Prediction: Huskies 31, Bulls 17

Buffalos last 10 of season:

opp______score____line

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@BALST</TD><TD class=datacell>W 42-24</TD><TD class=datacell>W +15 road dog ats winner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>KENST</TD><TD class=datacell>L 21-24 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -9</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@BGREN</TD><TD class=datacell>W 40-34 x</TD><TD class=datacell>W +4.5 road dog ats winner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@AKR</TD><TD class=datacell>W 43-40 x</TD><TD class=datacell>W +2.5 road dog ats winner </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>MIAOH</TD><TD class=datacell>W 37-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@OHIO</TD><TD class=datacell>W 32-19</TD><TD class=datacell>W +1.5 road dog ats winner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>ARMY</TD><TD class=datacell>W 27-24 x</TD><TD class=datacell>L -10.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>WMICH</TD><TD class=datacell>L 28-34 x</TD><TD class=datacell>L -1.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@CMICH</TD><TD class=datacell>L 25-27</TD><TD class=datacell>W +7 road dog ats winner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datacell>@MISOU</TD><TD class=datacell>L 21-42</TD><TD class=datacell>W +31.5 road dog ats winner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tough to say either team has more of a "motivation" edge with all the Buffalo talk on ESPN.

UConn has only been in the FBS a few years now...they, if any team knows, know how important bowl games are...

And how sweet the victory is...

UConn has only been in the FBS a few years now

Can somebody explain to me why it became the "FBS," when, and what the hell that's all about? What happened to D-I?

Not sure but I think it's the 1st time I've ever used the term "FBS".

I think I even said 1-A and 1-AA in the NFL Late Night thread

Actually, I think they changed it to FBS or whatever so it would have more of a "name appeal"...Unlike 1-A and 1-AA

It's FBS and FCS or some crap. It just makes people get confused

"Hey I play at URI, they're in the FCS."

"Oh nice, I saw the Utah/Alabama FCS game last night, it was good"

"Oh yeah....FCS...."

they switched D1 to FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) and and d1AA to FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) to remind people on a daily basis how asinine their system is

they switched D1 to FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) and and d1AA to FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) to remind people on a daily basis how asinine their system is

No possible way that's what it stands for. I mean, I'm not trying to call you a liar, Smoke. You know I'd never do that to a fellow Eagle fan, but, you know, get the f**k out of here. That's the dumbest naming convention I've heard since . . . since . . . I don't know, the Oklahoma City Thunder? The Bowl subdivision?? What the f**k?

i like buffalo 1H, the public is all over uconn thinking they're going to have a strong start. the lines already moved from -3 to -3.5 and its still favouriting uconn.

cant but think that everyone that got crushed by the bama loss last night will be trying to chase back their money for tmr's game until the nfl wildcard later on in the afternoon.

also, i live in toronto and i know for a fact that most of the crowd will indeed cheer for buffalo, i think there have a strong start and maybe uconn finds a way to pull off the w in the fourth, but i think it'll be a close game throughout with buff stacking the box and making uconn throw. it might be like the ECU game today with ECU leading at half and then UK pulling away

:cheers:Didnt Buffalo as in the Bills play in Toronto? If so those players said the crowd was a joke and I bet Buffalo thinking home field edge as well that day .

Put it this way Pitt and UConn are very similiar teams grantd Pitt probably rates a tad stronger . Buffalo played @ pitt early on when they were struggling and lost by 11 catching 13 . Buffalo did a good job with TOP and Pitt had just 7 offensive possessions all game and scored on 5 with 3 TD s and 2 FGs and puntd on the opening possession.

Simply put Buffalo beat Ball State for one reason and it was turnovers ..
1st TD by Buffalo after a fumble recovery and they started at Ball States 25 , then Ball State answers in the 2nd Q with 10 straight , credit Buffalo for opening the 2nd H with a nice drive for a TD but Ball State quickly answered and led 17-14 and then Buffalo fumbled at their 38 yd line. Ball State moved the ball and FUMBLED themselves but Buffalo went 92 yds for a TD so took away 3 or 7 already winning and gave it to Buffalo , now Ball State ball again and again they drive to the buffalo 25 and AGAIN a fumbled picked up and run74 yds the other way . Now down 21-17 they just lost another FG chance or TD opp and gave the opponent 7 so down 28-17. Ball State moves the ball but stalls near midfield and TOD , punt by Buffalo afterwards to Ball State who again fumbles and sets up a short field inside the Ball State 30 , moments later another gift wrapped TD which is the 4 the one for Buffalo , Ball State scores a TD to answer quickly , Ball State tries the onside but fail and short field for Buffalo they hand to it to Starks and he takes it in for anither RD , Ball State moves down the field and INT.....

So 5 Ball State turnovers led to 28 Buffalo points but also erased 6-14 for Ball State and they had the pick near the red zone lasy drive. Buffalo won by 18 but those turnovers represented as much as a 42 pt swing and at least 30 something ...

Buffalo allows 420 yds away and UConn just under 300. Previous 2 meetings in o4 an d05 Huskie shutouts. Dont be fooled by the Pitt score they had 220 yards offense but busted 2 long TDs and had a pick 6 .

You have a veteran Big East team who lost badly its last home game on senior day , who lost their bowl game last year , playing a team who making a bowl alone is historically but also won the conference championship after a 2 TD doggie upset of Ball State...Lorenzen struggled badly after his return but they have had tons of time to practice. Much like ECU today the MAC Champs could start fast and then fade .

Would guess we see a 7-14 pt win by UConn as the team is healthier then its been in awhile and is like a mid major in many ways lacking bowl history . SO any bowl game win is significant still..while a MAC Championship and any bowl game is huge for Buffalo....

Strong lean to UCONN , Uconn and under teaser , plus the TT Buffalo under as breaking 21 would suprise me without help and they just got 28 off turnovers and another after a late onsides kick...

college fb and nfl is 2 different things nut. most of the crowd tmr will be from buffalo unlike for the nfl, it'll be half and half. doubt there will be many uconn fans at the centre tmr

what about first half nut, what are your thoughts? read that buffalo starts slow, so was leaning under and maybe uconn, but public is all over that

I like UConn alot here but I try to stay away from taking 1st H favs makes no sense really IMO. So if I were to make a 1st H play it would be Buffalo in terms of value and I like the point about ECU and Kentucky as its a similiar situation .

I dont think home field is something that Buffalo has though . I understand people will be rooting for them and stuff but the Bills said the crowd had no clue how to react . Which makes sense if you ever went to a Buffalo game and hung with those maniacs , Actually enjoyed my trip up their immensely a few years back. To me home field is about comfort and the definition of home is comfortable surroundings . Regardless of who is cheering for who that doesnt matter to me unless you have 100,000 screaming fans. Both teams are in a unfamiliar setting . The value of home is the aspect of people preforming better in comfortable situations . It's easier to give a speech in fron of friends then strangers type logic. Plus its buffalo not USC..hell Buffalo doesnt even get any money I dont think for this just part of the 40 dollar tcket sales..

I doubt the majority of tickets are written on Conn tmrw as Buffalo is getting all the press , off a championship upset , has the whole historical aspect and coaching aspect with Gill making the news and Conn is just a team who got stomped vs Pitt . Buffalo is 6-0 ATS away and seems like the perfect spot to get a blemish. I just dont see them scoring more then the 14-17 range and thinking 27-17 game ...

Teased the Under and Conn already getting 57.5 Under and -0.5 . Also teased Uconn and Ohio State ..

Rode Buffalo last game just not vs a legit defense ..:shake:tired now getting some sleep

Will be on UConn and probably still interested in the under. Not sure about a 1st H total but lean that way prefer the game plays here not 1st hs..

No possible way that's what it stands for. I mean, I'm not trying to call you a liar, Smoke. You know I'd never do that to a fellow Eagle fan, but, you know, get the f**k out of here. That's the dumbest naming convention I've heard since . . . since . . . I don't know, the Oklahoma City Thunder? The Bowl subdivision?? What the f**k?

:36_11_6: I shit you not...its completely ridiculous

hey hey im here..

i know Uconn had somewhat of a disapointing season, and itd be easy to think they wont be motivated.. but they are still VERY excited.. this is a team that is making its 3rd ever bowl experience.. 1-1 in previous bowls.

ANYWAYS. I thought there was a lot of value at the opening line, but now at 6.5 it makes it tough..

In my personal opinion, and honestly without the HOMER involved, I think Uconn handles them today. They are bigger, stronger up front which means D-brown goes off per usual.

Also, Buffalo has a great offense. However, Uconn has a great defense. I think the MAC-skill level shows as Uconn's secondary is very, very, very good. Darius Butler comes back today after missing 4 games.

Just my thoughts guys. I think this line is low enough to make it think buff has a chance, but i dont see it happening

Husky I agree with your Homerish comments ...cause they are valid IMO ! lol..

Played Buffalo , 1st H under 26 , Under 23.5 TT Buffalo , teased Uconn and Under then smaller one Uconn and over...:shake:

The funny part is I typed Buffalo but uhm I played UConn ..just realized that now...

so Husky I was really in 100% agreement with you if one couldnt figure that out from my earlier comments....my brain is just fried..

Congrats and GL

Back