Thoughts on Hawaii Bowl Total

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Seems to me that most games so far have gone under. I think this is partly due to rust and also due to problems cappers have had due to new time rules this year.

Here's another one I think will also go under: Hawaii Bowl. I know, alot of people think this will go over the 72 total. However, my thought is that ASU's D will keep Hawaii to a manageable number---say in the low 30s. ASU itself will score about the same in a close game. But if the game goes the other way and is one sided, I see a high 30s to low to mid 20s game. Either way it goes under but the winning side changes depending on scenario. Therefore, the total play may be better.

Will this game go over or under the 72?

Let me know your thoughts.

If a team can limit their turnovers, and keep Arizona St. pinned inside say, their 30 on each drive, then I don't see the Scum Devils putting up more than 21-24 points

I don't know much about Hawaii though, so someone would have to tell me how they are based on turnovers and punting, etc.

All this being said, Arizona State CAN be scored on. And WILL be scored on by Hawaii. I've seen the ASU defense in person and meh, they're overrated. If Hawaii (which I know has a good passing attack) and Colt Brennan can overlook the 1st and 2nd recievers, and have enough time to get to the 3rd reciever, then they'll have fun passing against this D.

I would not play the total, but if I had to, it'd be the UNDER 72

One sloppy quarter for either team and you've got yourself an under, but lets just say that Hawaii may be the better side ;)

tough to call...I noticed the first quarters have been killers for passing offenses in early bowls..I think the under is 5-1, they can't seem to find a rhythm yet, but it is different for hawaii since they are at home....tough, but I will never forget that Houston/hawaii bowl game game a few years ago..I think the total was 81 or 82 and it went over...gl.

Only one game ASU has played in has gone over 72 (vs. Nevada at home in 2nd game). Hawaii has gone over 72 a number of times but only over 80 once.

Looking at the last game Hawaii played at home vs a decent defense (vs. OSU), the total score was 67. I think we will be looking at another similar total score.

ASUs got the Pac 10's 2nd best defense. I see it going something like 34-31. Im going to put a medium-sized bet on the under. Plus Im just looking at that 73-point o/u, I mean thats over 18 points a quarter. And both teams have pretty good run games, as well, so its not like it will be ALL passing. Im going to wait til tomorrow for an hour before the game. I bet it jumps to 73.5-74.0 by then.

Don't be fooled by ASU being rated the 2nd best Pac-10 Defense (although I could have sworn they were ranked #1)

Below is a list of defenses I'd take ahead on them in the Pac-10

In no particular order,

USC
UCLA
Arizona

and MAYBE Oregon State

Ok...so thats not many defenses, 4 at most :an_roll_laugh:

but still, they arent the best Pac-10 defense, nor 2nd

If it goes over the total it will be because of ASU, I think you can lock Hawaii in for 35+... I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU score only 17-24 pts in this one...

I will be looking into this much harder tomorrow

its me... sponjah808 i bet all you guys think that im nobody because i am new here, but I am from hawaii , born and raised...... i follow hawai every game for the last 4 years ever since timmy shave the points chang used to play... ILLL TELL YOU ONE THING.. he used to throw games .. but thats besides the point... hawai is good.. the bust up the bad teams, but when it came to the big teams, they struggled.. i went to three games this season...nevada, purdue, and osu, i bet against hawaii on all three... honestly, its hard to bet on hawaii because you dont know if the team that comes here is gonna come to play or vacation.. Hawai has been good at the half for most part of the season, and with the heartbreaking loss to osu, i think they should come out strong, laying that much points to a team who could run over hawai is scrary.. Hawaiis D is overated with all coming from teams that overlook them because of years past or just cause they are that bad.. I did go to ASU for a year, and I know they are a party school... #1 in the nation a couple years ago... heres my view of the game...

hawaii and brennon will come out with something to prove. every time they play on espn, they suck... but they know that now, and they will show up for the half.. ASU might be drinking tooo much mai tai's and cruising in waikiki so it might take them a while to play ball.. hawaii at the half is my most confident bet, even though they might blow ASU out or ASU might come back or keep the game close. it could go both ways... so bettors be wary.. hawaii bettors love to make their calls about an hour before game time.. so ill post later... but hawai at the half is the call for now...

Sponjah808,
thank you for you r perspective, it is much appreciated. I have Hawaii in this one and it involves Colt Brennan. This may or may not be he last game but if it is, then it is going to be a great one. As stated by you, Hawaii doesn't get much TV attention here on the East Coast. This is our chance to see this kid in prime time and he won't disappoint. I think he will have the scouts drooling over his skills. Hawaii will score atleast 35 and all you need are a few stops on D to provide the victory. I think this will be a very entertaining game. Where's Hawaii GUy, I am sure he has the best perspective on this one!! Good luck to all.

Hawaii 45
ASU 27

I like that first half play sponjah808

In CA we used to get all the Hawaii games and that was a great way to finish off a sat. of watching college football all day. Exciting team to watch with some of the most rabid fans I have ever seen. But for some reason they stopped showing the games this year except for OSU.

I'm on the over. I think Koetter goes out swinging playing old fashion WAC football like he did at Boise St(and probably like he was suppose to do with Arizona St). I know Hawaii's good for 5 TD's. ASU's defense is way overrated.
I leave with a good trend from Statfox.

-Games with extremely high totals (63 or higher) have gone Over 65.5% of the time, 19-10, since ’92.

they dont turn the ball over much and the outcome of the game will depend on the play on brennon.. their punter is decent and the kicking game has come around from being so horrible before... this is going to be a sold out game with about 45000 or so people just like the last two.. the TE for asu is verry good and hawaii has had big problems trying to defend Tight ends, especially when he comes out of the block and sneak out for the pass. brennon will pass the 5000 yard mark as well as the TD record... hawaii people love to bet on hawaii and the over so the lines here will probably jump up mto about 8 or 9 by game time, as thats when all the houses start to get plays...

Merry X-mas eve everyone....

I'm thinking that a tease to Hawaii (pk) / Over 64 is a damn fine bet...anyone jumpin' aboard?

Hawaii (Colt Brennan) and June Jones have too much riding on their performance tonight to come out flat....and, as someone mentioned earlier, Dirk Koettner is looking for a gig as an offensive coordinator..no way he goes conservative....:wacka wacka:

Mully :drink: :cheers: :drink:

Back