Thoughts... NFL talking about becoming college like in one capacity

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
NFL competition committee is discussing the possibility of limiting defensive pass interference penalties to, at most, 15 yards.

Not sure how I feel about it, even though we hate referee judgment (I get it) if anything there should at least be intentional vs unintentional PI. DBs in the pros are fast enough to make up the time to clip a WR that has them beat at times and ruin a big play. Last thing I really want to see is a muddied up game because of obvious intent to stop a big play.

But no doubt it would be great for some of those 50/50 type calls to be limited to 15 yds as opposed to the refs simply making the catches for the offense with a flag.

I‘m all for limiting the power of the refs to decide games. They are incompetent, often willingly so, and should never be allowed to take a team down the field

In those really obvious kind of occurrences KJ I think the NFL needs some kind of red card like in soccer. Same thing in basketball which would be a technical foul I think that happened in Duke game Sunday

The NFL competition committee appears to have unanimous agreement that controversial catch rulings involving Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson should have been ruled complete, according to Giants owner John Mara. So the committee, meeting in Indianapolis... https://t.co/OuKLHmdt4W

also not saying give more reviews, but make it like anything over 40/50 + yards gets a review?

final 2 mins covered anyway

my worry with 15 is some of these guys are too smart, if a corner gets beat on off the line on a go, or juked on a sluggo hes just gonna trip the receiver

"my worry with 15 is some of these guys are too smart, if a corner gets beat on off the line on a go, or juked on a sluggo hes just gonna trip the receiver"

In theory the timing of those types of play are more defensive holding than PI.

What I'd liked to see is the PI from an underthrown ball be 15 yards at most. Ideally it should be even less or eliminated. Why reward a team for poor execution?

The new 15 yard rule is going to be strategic.

It makes dbs play the odds and coaches like Belly will use this new rule to their advantage.

Ex- Guys like Antonio brown go deep a lot, especially at home, Aj Green also went deep a lot.

If I’m a Db and Brown or Green pass the 20 yard mark and are running a deep pattern I’m not sure Belly doesent just automatically grab Brown or Geeen. Nartavoous Bryant also goes deep a lot.

In the patterns they run deep the dB will just mail the receiver because now 2 things will happen.

1- The refs may miss the flag and not call the penalty.

2- the refs call pi but it’s only 15 yards.

So if brown or green go deep and the defender is close it makes sense to interfere and take the 15 yarder and hope in best case the ref doesent throw the flag.

The catch rule should be amended to this:

A player must complete the process of the catch by securing the football with the side of the football that the Wilson Logo is present. Then the player must have the football no more than 6 inches from their chest.

Not sure how I feel about it, even though we hate referee judgment (I get it) if anything there should at least be intentional vs unintentional PI. DBs in the pros are fast enough to make up the time to clip a WR that has them beat at times and ruin a big play. Last thing I really want to see is a muddied up game because of obvious intent to stop a big play.

But no doubt it would be great for some of those 50/50 type calls to be limited to 15 yds as opposed to the refs simply making the catches for the offense with a flag.

Agree with this post 100%

You know there are college players that are smart enough and fast enough to intentionally PI on a big play to only give up 15 yards. I actually think what KJ said should be the rule for both leagues.

Bout fuckin time

the days of chucking it up and gettin that call should be over

agree with teed a bit too........if a guy gets beat and is yanked from behind, well.....

After an Elite style workout I have the answer for the Nfl with regards to the pass interference penalty.

The penalty shall be as follows.

1[a] A defensive player interfering with a receiver downfield will be penalized 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

1 A defensive player committing intentional interference by tripping tackling and by making no attempts to make a Legal football play on the receiver will be a spot foul penalty.

The refs have the discretion to rule it intentional or football related interference just like they do on roughing the kicker or contacting the kicker.

In summary all pass interference is 15 yard penalty from line of scrimmage and the refs have the discretion to call a spot foul on a defender who does not make a legal play on the football.

This is the solution.

This ability of the refs to call a spot foul will result in no defenders committing intentional interference.

Defenders would have no advantage to pull down receivers.

Back