This Sean Avery situation is a JOKE! - Stars cutting him?

wreck

Pretty much a regular
Stars: Avery won't return
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> Associated Press

DALLAS -- Whenever Sean Avery is ready to return to the NHL, it won't be with the Dallas Stars. The combative forward was eligible to return from a six-game suspension Sunday, but the Stars instead announced Avery will not rejoin the team -- ever. "You have to do what's right for both parties, and that's what we're really trying to do," co-general manager Brett Hull said.

Avery was only 23 games into a four-year, $15.5 million deal when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman suspended him for a crude remark about ex-girlfriends dating other hockey players. Simmering tension between Avery and his teammates and his coach boiled over in the aftermath, with the dressing room united in its stance against him ever wearing a Stars sweater again. "I thought [Sean] could bring a little bit of a change in our locker room and on the ice which I thought was missing," Hull said.

"Obviously, it went overboard and didn't work out." Details of Avery's departure still must be worked out. He could be traded, sent to the minors or bought out next summer. The club said it will work with Avery to try making this an amicable divorce. They won't try voiding his contract on grounds he's violated the conduct clause. Yet there's no telling when Avery will play again.

He's at an undisclosed location seeking treatment through a program set up by the NHL players association. When he was suspended, Avery told the Stars he needed help dealing with anger issues. Hull said Avery is in a 10-day, voluntary program that could be extended if counselors determine he needs a longer stay. Avery's agent and publicist did not immediately respond to requests for comment. "We don't want to ruin Sean or his career.

We want him to get better," Hull said. "The team needs to move on and start winning and he needs to take care of himself. ... As a hockey player, I think there's no question he can be an asset. That said, he's got to fix the demons he has. It becomes such a huge distraction that it almost takes away from his ability to play the game." Avery is a two-time league leader in penalty minutes who prides himself on doing and saying things to irritate his foes. He savors his reputation as the NHL's most-hated player and contrasts it with a well-publicized interest in fashion. He's dated actresses, been written up in People magazine and spent this summer as intern for Vogue magazine.

The fact he has a publicist makes him unique among NHL players. Although Avery had been fined and NHL rules were changed because of his antics, he'd never been suspended by the league until Dec. 2, when Bettman punished him only hours after his now-infamous line. The Stars were in Calgary, Alberta, so it likely was aimed at Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf, who is dating actress Elisha Cuthbert. Avery also has dated supermodel-actress Rachel Hunter, who is now dating Los Angeles' Jarret Stoll. Reporters were gathered to ask Avery about comments he'd made about another Flames player, former scoring champion Jarome Iginla.

Dallas coach Dave Tippett was furious because Avery defied him by even speaking to those reporters. The next day, Tippett made it clear he didn't want Avery back, as did team leaders Mike Modano and Marty Turco. "Their voice was heard loud and clear," Hull said. When Avery was a rookie, he was teammates with Hull and even lived in Hull's home. Knowing Avery so well, Hull thought he was just what the Stars needed after losing to Detroit in the Western Conference finals, and he persuaded owner Tom Hicks to sign him as a free agent.

Instead of getting over the hump, Dallas has dropped to the bottom of the West. Injuries are mostly to blame, but Avery's presence didn't help. "I honestly believe the issues that Sean had really kind of festered when he came to Dallas and things didn't work out for him as he had planned, as we had planned," Hull said. "But I think a lot of those things were brought on by himself. It's a two-way street. You have to be accepted, but you have to do everything you can to be accepted. It was just a bad situation." Hull was surprised that Avery didn't know better. "I don't know how many times you can go through the league office before you realize you can't do this any more," he said.

Because the Avery signing backfired so quickly, questions have been raised about Hull's ability as a talent evaluator. He said Sunday this was just a learning experience, noting that "there's a lot of teams that have made mistakes." "Disappointed? Yeah. Frustrated? Yeah. You can pick [an emotion], they've probably been there over the last few weeks," he said. "We're going to continue to do things that we think can help bring a championship to Dallas." The 28-year-old Avery is on his fourth team in seven seasons. He came up with Detroit, was traded to Los Angeles and then was dealt to the New York Rangers, who didn't re-sign him when his contract expired. Will a fifth franchise want him? "There's no sense talking about it until he gets better," Hull said. "At that point, all you can do is pick up the phone and call people. It's hard enough to make a deal with two healthy players."

A trade would be the easiest way out, if there are any takers. The Stars probably won't cut him because they would owe him $4 million for each of the next three seasons. They're more likely to hold his rights until July 1, when they could buy him out for two-thirds of the balance ($8 million, instead of $12 million). Avery also could be sent to an AHL team, with the Stars paying his salary; if he didn't show up, he wouldn't get paid.

Should Avery play in the minors, he'd go through re-entry waivers on the way back into the NHL. If a team claims him, the Stars and the new team would split the salary.

HOLY shit! Is this league run by prudes or pussies? Because this has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen in a professional sports related suspension and now termination.

Where is the player's union in this whole situation? I'd sue the fuck out of the Stars if I was Avery.

And I love that he's at a 'treatment center'! for saying sloppy seconds? You need a fucking treatment center?! FUCK BETTMAN FUck those sensitive pussies.

When did the NHL become a knitting circle?

HOLY shit! Is this league run by prudes or pussies? Because this has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen in a professional sports related suspension and now termination.

Where is the player's union in this whole situation? I'd sue the fuck out of the Stars if I was Avery.

You are correct sir. He should not have even been suspended a minute for this comment. A lot of his teammates must be partaking in sloppy seconds of some kind or another.

I disagree . I think its nice to see an organization show some class and not allow immature behavior that distracts the attention away from the team and puts it on player . Probably would guess they were just looking for any excuse to get ride of him .

Do we want athletes to be players or entertainers ? Certainly not a role model in this situation...

Thats just my opinion . We have to get back to the mentality of having standards and rules for athletes to go by . Otherwise you have the Clinton Portis' of the world going on radio shows mocking their coach. It just doesnt do any benefit and we all know kids will immitate what they see or hear ....

right there with t/wreck here.

he didn't do drugs, didn't rape somebody, didn't shoot himself in the leg illegally and wasn't banging hookers...

I dont think the NHL should have suspended him but I do think Dallas has every right to. Its one thing to insult a player but his girlfriend is a bit in poor taste, I mean it isnt wrestling. Hes a decent player though, he was never drafted which is worthy of some respect.

I dont think the NHL should have suspended him but I do think Dallas has every right to. Its one thing to insult a player but his girlfriend is a bit in poor taste, I mean it isnt wrestling. Hes a decent player though, he was never drafted which is worthy of some respect.

i guess i am just in agreement with what BAR said .. off the ice incidents like wife beating , drug use , etc etc etc ... hell tochett has a job and he was in a gambling ring. just seems way out of whack proportionally.

I disagree . I think its nice to see an organization show some class and not allow immature behavior that distracts the attention away from the team and puts it on player . Probably would guess they were just looking for any excuse to get ride of him .

Do we want athletes to be players or entertainers ? Certainly not a role model in this situation...

Thats just my opinion . We have to get back to the mentality of having standards and rules for athletes to go by . Otherwise you have the Clinton Portis' of the world going on radio shows mocking their coach. It just doesnt do any benefit and we all know kids will immitate what they see or hear ....

Wow this post pisses me off. Is there something in his contract about not being immature?

Is there something that that says he has to be classy and has to be a role model. No.

And about your players or entertainers.

They should be both. Sports in no different from a movie, its entertainment.

Fuck that and fuck the NHL. Avery is a star player, and they cut him. This league will never have any success with a retard like Bettman running the show

They may say there not cutting him because of what he said but a bigger reason has to be the fact that his teammates hate him.

Brendan Morrow who is the Stars Captain said before the season that he hated Sean Avery and did'nt want him on the team.

His own teammates didn't back him up with this. Compare this to When Todd Bertuzzi punched Steve Moore in the back of the head and even his teammates backed him up.

Avery doesn't listen to the coach at practice (this has been documented by TSN with multiple stories)

He has violated team rules before and violated team rules when he was with New York and with Detroit, he also when he was LA was let go and not resigned for making fun of Dustin Brown (who was a rookie) for having a lisp.
This led to multiple fist fights in the Kings dressing room.

Avery is fucking scum and the "sloppy seconds" comment was probly the least discusting thing he has done. The NHL doesn't need crap like him in the league

Sean Avery is nothing if not immature. Dallas knew this when they signed him. There has never been a question about it. So if they want to pretend they got suckered now, well, that's just foolish.

This whole thing has been stupid. Dallas can suspend him if they like, that the league did smacks of overreaction, but hell, they can do whatever they like it's their f**ked up league. What I don't get is how someone, anyone, hasn't gotten out in front of this thing and made the point that, long before now, this whole thing should have gone away. That it continues to stay in the press just makes everybody involved look worse.

Is there something that that says he has to be classy and has to be a role model. No

im not sure the ins and outs of his contract, and I would be willing to guess there is something in his contract about representing the teams... but I do know there is something in the rule book that he could be suspended for...

fact is, him teamates cant stand him down the line, nobody in the league likes him... he;s not even the guy you hate until he's on your team. His time ran out, and Dallas was looking for an out.

Do I think his comments were bad? no... inpoor taste... yes...

Funny thing is that he was probably sloppy 82nds.

I agree with Nut FWIW

Dallas was looking for an out.

That was the key. And, as usual when it comes to all things hockey*, I agree with Santa.

(* Currently what the Toronto Maple Leafs organ-i-zation is putting on the ice does not qualify as hockey.)

(* Currently what the Toronto Maple Leafs organ-i-zation is putting on the ice does not qualify as hockey.)

as long as it turns out like the Penguins when they stunk after Mario and landed Sid and Malkin

as long as it turns out like the Penguins when they stunk after Mario and landed Sid and Malkin

Like how we did that?

=)

Leafs are playing too good to have a chance at Tavares, then need to start putting Cujo and his 3.9 Goals against average and .850 save percentage out there a lot more.

They really need to start tanking cause after Tavares and Hedman the draft is supposedly no where near as good as last year and Atlanta/Tampa/New York Islanders are big points behind them.

Why on earth is Cujo still in this league?

Not to s**t all over various fan bases, but this economy in the lower 48 really might thin this league to the size it should be.

They reason this happened is because Avery is a goof, hes fucked up alot and the stars are saying the teammates all hate him.

Are you allowed to fire someone because their co-workers hate them though ?

If this is allowed , it seems they can almost cut anyone for any reason.

Are you allowed to fire someone because their co-workers hate them though ?

Kind of. Think about any job, if everybody hates somebody, once that guy (or girl) f**ks up it's that much easier to fire them because nobody really wants to work with them and the company is likely better through addition by subtraction.

The agreement's Paragraph 2 (e) directs all NHL players "to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally."

Its in every contract... they can do what they want, and I think are being fair to him

The in the real world arguement doesnt apply folks . I was a bond trader and I had to sign a contract . It's like anything else you dont really read whats in the contract when your 26 or 27 years old but you know if fuck up or do something negative if the firm wants to fire you there is probably something that can cite as reason for letting you go. Look at the crazy language in sports contracts . Remember the whole Jeff Kent thing in SF a few years ? Get a DWI or drug possession and your really fucked in that world. Why not look at like this . I have so much to LOSE why do stupid things or say stupid things that will draw negative attention to me ? Is my livelyhood worth being a wiseass ? Lets not forget he does get paid its not like that are taking away his salary . Whats the PA going to argue ?

How can you say what Avery did isnt that bad though ? People rip apart all these NBA and NFL guys for the BS they pull . Your a hockey player why are you talking about who you date ? I know because its all about I . Jeter is annoying interview to watch but thats why he is America's boy . He steers clear of shit and he is banging every chick out there. Thats total classless IMO and if I own that team its going to piss me off that someone I PAY is acting like that . Take a step it further everyone knows the NHL is the lowest drawing sport here . You dont get much attention is that what you want in the press ? Is this the attention you want ? Okay , its not the same as getting busted with drugs , gambling or achol related situations . Those are also addictions for people who cant control that behavior . I understand the no harm mentality you guys have and everyone passes unflattering comments. This doesnt have to happen and thats the bottomline.

If Dallas wants to cut ties with him thats there right .

Coach said dont speak to the media and he did which makes even worse this happened because he was warned. Thats insubordination in the real world.

It comes down to how you want your business run . Every place has different rules . I got suspended in college for falling under the credit limit for 2 weeks . No games or practices and it cost me ALOT . It wasnt NCAA mandated but it was the school's right to kick me off the team for 2 weeks . I fucked up and paid the price . Rules are Rules and I think we all agree that this world needs some rules and guidelines . We also need to start realizing we have to follow these rules otherwise people just do what they please . That mentality will never work.....

maybe its a smoke screen and maybe its a step in the right direction...All these guys that act out verbally always seem to be team cancers anyway. So its never just 1 thing and it never stops after that ....

I think its fair DAL decides his fate especially if they are paying his contract out
:shake:

They may say there not cutting him because of what he said but a bigger reason has to be the fact that his teammates hate him.

Brendan Morrow who is the Stars Captain said before the season that he hated Sean Avery and did'nt want him on the team.

His own teammates didn't back him up with this. Compare this to When Todd Bertuzzi punched Steve Moore in the back of the head and even his teammates backed him up.

Avery doesn't listen to the coach at practice (this has been documented by TSN with multiple stories)

He has violated team rules before and violated team rules when he was with New York and with Detroit, he also when he was LA was let go and not resigned for making fun of Dustin Brown (who was a rookie) for having a lisp.
This led to multiple fist fights in the Kings dressing room.

Avery is fucking scum and the "sloppy seconds" comment was probly the least discusting thing he has done. The NHL doesn't need crap like him in the league

Regardless of what sort of "scum" he is...

Some of the biggest sports stars ever were also the biggest asholes....

I think everybody agrees that Avery's comments were classless, SN. It just feels like an overreaction.

That said, I completely agree with you (and Santa, and others) in that it's the Stars' absolute and total right to overreact. If they don't want someone classless on their roster, then good for them, cut him. That said, there are a lot of worse folks in major sports, guys who are more of a cancer or simply just bad people, but they have jobs and those teams are happy to have them (cough, Chris Henry, cough), because they're talented.

The bottom line is, if you're talented, teams (or companies) will always make excuses to keep you or hire you, even if you're an *sshole. But if you're an *sshole, you need to accept that you can be fired just that much quicker from any job because, well, you're an *sshole.

I think it feels like an overreaction because its so often allowed without consequence. If you did that at work and talked about someone's coworkers wife or girlfriend you would probably be in a meeting with HR or compliance shortly . If your boss told you to do something that was in his right to then again would you not possibly be out of a job .

Love the way you finished it . There will always be that 1 time when you just go to far . Even if its not the worst thing you did or ever done. Patience wears thin ...I think alot of times organizations are like us on the outside looking in . Then when tha bad apple is aprt of them and they realize maybe everyone was right . It's a new realization. Avery may have and done said all the right things when he needed to and once he got the deal started acting like the person Dallas was warned about but maybe they never witnessed .

Talent goes a long way but when your not producing those are the guys who get kicked to the gutter quick ...

If he was terminated and not paid there is an arguement it was an overreaction but I dont see what his beef is .

As a boss I've always been a fan of what I call the 'If/Than Rule.' And that's this.

If you're going to be an *sshole and hard to work with, you better be extremely talented.

If you're not going to be extremely talented, you better be great to work with.

Because one needs to make up for the other. In this case, Avery's a d*ck, but he's simply not talented enough to justify his continued employment where he is. If he were more talented, they'd find a way to keep him there (see: Owens, Terrell)

But I think you're totally right, when you're on the outside looking in it all looks different. You think, 'well, they just don't know how to handle a guy like that, we could make it work.'

Same story with girlfriends, by the way. You always think you're going to be the one it's going to be different with.

Thats exactly it JP. Everything has some sort of "curve" to it. Like I always say level playing fields do not exist its impossible thats what makes us human . To expand on the last part you mentioned its the same thing when it comes to looks. Just about everyone would admit minus a monumental disaster we would always be willing to give someone more attractive another chance , even in the workplace.

If Avery was a good guy and just had a moment it would pass . On some level there is that segment just waiting for him to fuck up again and get it on all tape. Unfortunaetly another part of human nature is we seem to like watch train wrecks . I give TO a pass to a degree because I dont think he is right mentally . Which is only worsened by having YES people in your life. Great example Brittney Spears .

It was just the last straw and while it wasnt something unforgiveable it was just a sign the kid dont get it . We tell him not even to speak to the media and not only does that he says something that draws attention and disgust on some level....

The flip is look at the talented kids especially in the NFL that just never get it and wind up losing it all . Just the RB's alone lately in football with Henry , Phillips , etc , Michael Vick .

Regardless of what sort of "scum" he is...

Some of the biggest sports stars ever were also the biggest asholes....

The problem with that is that some of the biggest assholes can be some of the best teammates.

Avery is far from that, he is hated by many of his former and for now, current teammates, He is not talented enough to be disliked within his own dressing room.

You guys are fucking idiots and need to walk out the door one of these days because I hear people say worse shit then this everyday on the sidewalk

Not to mention that Sportsnut has somehow gotten that TO has mental problems by watching him 4 hours a week and watching him play football at that.

I think Dallas is using Avery as an excuse. If he was so hated why didnt one of them try and tune Avery up a bit.

If the NFL was as strict as the NHL, we would be watching the neighboorhood kids each sunday.

Alex, you're totally missing the point... Its not about going outside and hearing other 'worse comments, its not about the comments itself but its about a breach of contract and league rules... Debate the rules / stipulation in any NHL'ers contract all you like, thats fine and a totally other story...

Regardless if you believe it ethical or not on workplace drug testing... if its in your contract that you have to take drug tests and pass... well then you dont do drugs or you face the consequences... if its in your contract you're not an asshole and not representative of the team to the community then well you dont go in front of a camera after being asked not to speak to the media by the head coach and call TSN over to say what he did.

Avery is getting it pretty good IMO... he could be totally released, but the Stars are going to honor the remainder of his contract unless picked up by another team... they dont have to.

Back