The wait between College Football Saturdays is excrutiating..

gridironguy

Pretty much a regular
College Football is the best sport in the world, IMO, because the teams only play 12 regular season games each and so much is riding in each game. College Football Saturdays are like a spectacle in sports -- so incredibly exciting, especially the last 2 Saturdays with all of the huge upsets (except USC losing of course, dammit!!!)

Being huge fans of College Football can also be excrutiating because waiting all week for our big Saturday to get here is so tough..

6 weeks in the books already -- it goes too fast..

i am finding more and more that I have trouble sleeping on Friday night in anticipation of the greatness that is to come

i am finding more and more that I have trouble sleeping on Friday night in anticipation of the greatness that is to come
LMAO...Last Friday I couldnt sleep because I was so excited for the Illinois/Wisky game...College Football is amazing:smiley_acbe:

This year, college football is excrutiating for me......because! I'M LOSING MY F...ING ASS OFF! I still can't believe that USC straight up loss. I can't wait for college basketball!

I've always been a die hard NFL fan first and this year I find myself enjoying college football on saturdays a lot more than the NFL especially this week, i was so disappointed with the NFL games this week

This year, college football is excrutiating for me......because! I'M LOSING MY F...ING ASS OFF! I still can't believe that USC straight up loss. I can't wait for college basketball!

college basketball might be just as bad now with the 1 year out of high school rule now. I think there's gonna be more parity. I hope i am wrong on all accounts but we will see i guess.

college basketball might be just as bad now with the 1 year out of high school rule now. I think there's gonna be more parity. I hope i am wrong on all accounts but we will see i guess.

the 1 yr out of HS rule was put into place last season, which is why Kevin Durant and Greg Oden (amongst others) went to college. the rule actually worked the opposite than you think, as it created less parity.

the top schools got the top HS players, and they stepped it up another notch. if you notice, last season there were very few upsets in the NCAA tournament. it's because the top teams were so dominant.

more top HS talent going to college = more dominance for the top teams who all of the best players.

I honestly have to drink on Friday nights to sleep....plus, if I have a big play going off at 9 am (pacific) it makes it that much more difficult...and forget trying to get back to sleep if I wake up at 6 am....

I love college hoop -- especially the fact that there are games every day - and I win more on college hoop...but there is nothing like saturday college foots.

I know what you're saying...there's nothing like being a Golden Gopher fan this time of year....ahhhh

the 1 yr out of HS rule was put into place last season, which is why Kevin Durant and Greg Oden (amongst others) went to college. the rule actually worked the opposite than you think, as it created less parity.

the top schools got the top HS players, and they stepped it up another notch. if you notice, last season there were very few upsets in the NCAA tournament. it's because the top teams were so dominant.

more top HS talent going to college = more dominance for the top teams who all of the best players.

Right but what you arent factoring in is longevity and team chemistry.
The first couple years you may very well be correct. But look at George Mason. They were all older guys who meshed together and played as a team. Durant and Oden werent your average freshmen by any means. We may go 10 years before seeing a NCAA freshmen comparable to either of these guys much less two guys in one year.

And Texas has never been dominant and last year was no different.
Now had Durant stayed 3 years Texas would have a championship to show for it. Likely the same with Ohio State but they wouldnt have been able to play for the title cause they got busted cheating/recruiting correct?

I think the rule is stupid. In one year your telling me these kids are going to mature and learn what not to do? Bottomline: The average person given an enormous amount of money with little to no true hard work to earn it will likely waste said money and find trouble.

Right but what you arent factoring in is longevity and team chemistry.
The first couple years you may very well be correct. But look at George Mason. They were all older guys who meshed together and played as a team. Durant and Oden werent your average freshmen by any means. We may go 10 years before seeing a NCAA freshmen comparable to either of these guys much less two guys in one year.

And Texas has never been dominant and last year was no different.
Now had Durant stayed 3 years Texas would have a championship to show for it. Likely the same with Ohio State but they wouldnt have been able to play for the title cause they got busted cheating/recruiting correct?

I think the rule is stupid. In one year your telling me these kids are going to mature and learn what not to do? Bottomline: The average person given an enormous amount of money with little to no true hard work to earn it will likely waste said money and find trouble.

I think we'll see plenty of freshman who are at or around the level of Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Those guys left HS in June 2006 and just 4 yrs earlier, in June 2002, two guys left HS named Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony. Their graduating class, thanks to them, was called one of the best HS graduating classes in history in terms of pure basketball talent.

Lebron of course went straight to the NBA, and Carmelo led his class right to the Final 4 in 2003 and cut down the nets for the championship that season.

There is tons and tons of HS talent again this season, and you will see this fall that the top schools they go to will have major advantages over the teams they play.

To your point about Texas not being a power, that is changing ever so slightly under Rick Barnes. They did make the Final 4 in 2003 and had a pretty nice team the past few yrs even before Durant go there.

Ohio State went from a disappointing 2006 tourney to a Final Game appearance thanks mainly to Oden and Mike Conley, Jr, the two superstar freshman.

Super-talented freshmen will typically beat avg, but seasoned juniors and seniors. George Mason was a once-in-a-lifetime, perhaps twice in a lifetime run by a double-digit seed. They are the exception, not the norm.

The great John Wooden once said: "Give me young, untested talent over experience any day of the week".

bc you follow Lang!!

:cheers:

Back