The team that will win the superbowl is....

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to do this for all major sports...posted all over various sites..

1. Early January - Giants to win the SB - Win
2. Late November - Kansas to win the NC - Win
3. Mid April - Lakers to win the NC - Loss
4. Mid April - Pens to win the Stanley Cup - Loss
5. Mid April - Cubs to win the WS - Pending
6. Late May - Germany to win the EC08 - Loss
7. Mid August - Oklahoma to win the BCS - Pending

2-3 record with two pending that dont look too bad right now. All the losses were runners up so I was pretty damn close

So the last few years, if you really look at it, a lot of unexpected teams went to the superbowl, and some even won.

2007 - Giants - very few people could have predicted that they would have been in the SB. - Patriots - not a very big suprise
2006 - Bears - how many were saying Rex Grossman is taking us to the superbowl? Colts - not a very big suprise
2005 - Seahawks - they were talking about, but not in seriousness, same goes for the Steelers.

So really, despite what the experts saying the best teams dont always get there, a lot of times they lose in the 1st round, the grind of the season is tough I suppose or the hype gathers up around them, and really, anything can happen. So basically its not as easy as just picking the Patriots and the Colts and counting the money, but...I still went with mostly favorites...

I narrowed my picks down to a few, Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Saints. The reason why I went with mostly favorites is because I think the league is full of parody, there are a ton of question marks, a ton of teams might improve, but might not. A few teams added a few pieces to the team but that doesn't always necessarily mean that they are gonna put together a good year.

Patriots +300 - The division is still no good, earlier today, we find out Lospman is starting for the Bills. The dolphins still suck, and the Jets are still questionable. When the Favre trade went down I assumed they would still suck, but the more I look at it, they could have potential to beat the Pats. They have a tough schedule, they play the Steelers, they play the Colts. Teams dont always last, I think this is a sucker bet for people to take who are thinking, well they almost went 19-0 last year, why not just win it all this year. Dont think it happens, the team is getting old. They make the playoffs, but they dont win the SB

Colts +875 - these seems like great odds, and this is even better then my OU pick when it comes to odds. But this team has some question marks. Bob Sanders, hasnt stayed healthy in a while. Freeney, had a bad year last year. Harrison is in trouble with police and is coming off an injury. And Manning is coming off an injury. To many injuries and what if's for this team this year. Also lets be honest, other then 2006, they have sucked in the playoffs, something always happens. The division is also improving, the Jags are getting better and always play well against them, the Titans might be better.

Saints +1700 - I really just added this in for flavor. But at the end of the day, too many question marks for them also. Without mccalister this team cant be that good, he is the anchor of the team. He is already injured I believe and he will keep getting injured. If he stays healthy the whole year, then they can do it. Thats a huge IF. Brees will be fine this year and they have Colsten and Shockey..who knows, maybe, but I dont think so at the end of the day, even though the value is great, the division isnt very good IMO. They dont get it done in the playoffs.

Chargers +530 - The value isnt as good as I would like it to be, but these guys are my pick. The one thing that worries me is how will LT handle not having Micheal Turner as his backup. Backups like Turner can be huge for teams, maybe LT will be the same, maybe his production stays the same. But Rivers is improving. The division is improving. I dont like any of the teams in this division, the Raiders spent a lot of money, but I dont know if that means theyll be good. Some say that money was misspent. I hate Mike Shanahan, and Herm Edwards, it has always been BEYOND me why this guy (Edwards) is considered a great coach and why he isn't unemployed.

My Pick: Chargers +530 to bet 1 unit to win the Superbowl

Why I didnt pick my Steelers at +1700? No line simply, I think theyll have a tough time making the playoffs

Here are the rest of the futures from bookmaker...

<table class="matchupBox fontsize12" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="banner"><td colspan="2">NFL FUTURES - Aug 21 </td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="leftColumn"><small>5:00 PM</small></td><td class="rightColumn"><table class="noTopPadding" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="banner"><td colspan="5"> TO WIN SUPERBOWL XLIII-2008</td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10601</td><td class="teamCell">ARIZONA CARDINALS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10601_0_3500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+3500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10602</td><td class="teamCell">ATLANTA FALCONS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10602_0_15000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+15000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10603</td><td class="teamCell">BALTIMORE RAVENS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10603_0_9000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+9000</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10604</td><td class="teamCell">BUFALO BILLS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10604_0_7000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+7000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10605</td><td class="teamCell">CAROLINA PANTHERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10605_0_2000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+2000</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10606</td><td class="teamCell">CHICAGO BEARS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10606_0_4000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10607</td><td class="teamCell">CINCINNATI BENGALS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10607_0_4000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4000</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10608</td><td class="teamCell">CLEVELAND BROWNS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10608_0_3500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+3500</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10609</td><td class="teamCell">DALLAS COWBOYS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10609_0_350_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+350</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10610</td><td class="teamCell">DENVER BRONCOS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10610_0_4500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4500</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10611</td><td class="teamCell">DETROIT LIONS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10611_0_4500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10612</td><td class="teamCell">GREEN BAY PACKERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10612_0_2000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+2000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10613</td><td class="teamCell">HOUSTON TEXANS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10613_0_4500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10614</td><td class="teamCell">INDIANAPOLIS COLTS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10614_0_875_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+875</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10615</td><td class="teamCell">JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10615_0_1200_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1200</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10616</td><td class="teamCell">KANSAS CITY CHIEFS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10616_0_12000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+12000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10617</td><td class="teamCell">MIAMI DOLPHINS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10617_0_12000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+12000</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10618</td><td class="teamCell">MINNESOTA VIKINGS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10618_0_2000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+2000</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10619</td><td class="teamCell">NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10619_0_300_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+300</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10620</td><td class="teamCell">NEW ORLEANS SAINTS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10620_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10621</td><td class="teamCell">NEW YORK GIANTS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10621_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10622</td><td class="teamCell">NEW YORK JETS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10622_0_2500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+2500</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10623</td><td class="teamCell">OAKLAND RAIDERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10623_0_5500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+5500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10624</td><td class="teamCell">PHILADELPHIA EAGLES</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10624_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10625</td><td class="teamCell">PITTSBURGH STEELERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10625_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10626</td><td class="teamCell">SAN DIEGO CHARGERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10626_0_530_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+530</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10627</td><td class="teamCell">SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10627_0_5500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+5500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10628</td><td class="teamCell">SEATTLE SEAHAWKS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10628_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10629</td><td class="teamCell">ST. LOUIS RAMS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10629_0_5500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+5500</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10630</td><td class="teamCell">TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10630_0_1700_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+1700</label></td></tr><tr class="evenRow"><td class="rotCell">10631</td><td class="teamCell">TENNESSEE TITANS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10631_0_4000_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+4000</label></td></tr><tr class="oddRow"><td class="rotCell">10632</td><td class="teamCell">WASHINGTON REDSKINS</td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"> </td><td class="selectCell"><label class=""><input name="game" value="744989_0_10632_0_2500_TNT" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+2500</label></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

The leadership! The result in the last 2 years was the same but this team looked a lot better in the playoffs IMO last year, and the fact that he was injured in the last game and still decided to play says a lot about him*. His numbers were worse, but I think as a player he got better...hope that makes sense...sort of.

The leadership! The result in the last 2 years was the same but this team looked a lot better in the playoffs IMO last year, and the fact that he was injured in the last game and still decided to play says a lot about him*. His numbers were worse, but I think as a player he got better...hope that makes sense...sort of.
I completely agree and I hate Rivers. :shake: He's showing the same signs that Eli Manning did a few years ago with stepping up as a leader. You know it's coming if they can keep that team around him

I'd say he got better as a leader than as a player from what i seen last year. Then again with his oline not up to its 2006 level maybe he did get better but his olines worse play did his stats in like it did his knee?

I often wonder the answer to this.

How many Super Bowls would San Diego have won during this same stretch if they left Brees on as the starter when the team finally was coming together. Just curious.

They go on for the last 8! Now I kind of hope that the Dolphins win because I cant cheer for the Chargers no matter how much money ill win against the Steelers

Back