The state of the MLB game...

DeadEyeDuckie

Pretty much a regular
Hey guys, just my personal opinion...but it seems to me like the game of baseball (at least at the professional level MLB) has really changed when compared to the past 10-12 years. Now this is just me talking of pure observations and noticing of things, without actually going and diving into databases and pulling percentages and number charts...

It seems like there's a ton more infield hits in games nowadays. Is this because teams are shifting too much? Is it simply just "ahhh, tough break" or "oohh dribbled that ball down the line"?

What has happened to the batting average of MLB players? When you look at a lot of teams' lineups, you'll find AT LEAST half of them are below .250 and there's a good chance there's one guy playing who is below .200. Are teams just this bad? Or is their approach to hitting changing that much nowadays?

And from that take on approach to hitting....what constitutes a "good" offensive player? ALLLLL the various metrics come into play, statistical analysis, data mining..blah blah blah....can spin an argument that a guy who hits .222 and has a OBP of .300 and hits 20 home runs is dangerously talented? 10 years ago we would've viewed this guy as just an inconsistent guy with some pop to his bat maybe...but nowadays teams would be happy to have them. It feels like if today Adam Dunn were still playing and in his prime, he would be rewarded like a god. Low batting average, doesn't offer any speed on the bases or on defense, but I'm sure we can spin a bunch of metrics of how the .195 batting average is well worth the 35 home runs on the year.

Some thoughts/rants on the MLB trades/movement

Seattle acquired Cameron Maybin. Umm, I'm taking it as a sign that since the Mariners haven't been in this type of a playoff chase in a loooong while, they weren't quite sure what to go for. Getting a failed prospect who can play just defense and pinch run was a nice "safe" play....but not enough to get them going. They're offense, which I've been waiting to slump (and now it is) needed a jolt. A LOT of guys overperformed in the first half, coming up big in tight moments or crucial games. Management buying into this and taking at as signs all these guys are ready to turn the corner. Wellll, maybe they are. But what if...only half of them are? What if...only one of them is? Mariner brass apparently did it's research and felt none of these guys would regress enough to the point their offense would fall apart and hurt their playoff chances. Well...the team has now lost 4 in a row...struggling to score runs. Tsk tsk.

Quick...name a "bigname bat" who was traded at the deadline and when he arrived to his new team, he actually contributed significantly? Like he made that big impact people were hoping he would. Didn't start off weak/bad, but came on strong with his new team. Anyone? Anyone? I'd say Manny Ramirez at the Dodgers. When he arrived his bat was hot and making some plays for them. AND he actually helped straightened the youngsters on that team, who were Ethier and Kemp. Now the Dodgers have another "prized pickup", erhm..2 of them actually in Machado and Dozier. Pretty interesting, your team had a pretty successful first half of the season and then you do and re-do half of your infield. I picture nice defensive plays on the infield by both Manny and Brian...but at the end of the day, considering how inconsistent the entire Dodger lineup can be...success/failure during their term as Dodgers will both fairly and unfairly be observed by what they do at the plate...and in clutch moments. You didn't bring in Machado to get a 2 out single when your team is down 3. You brought him in to be at the guy standing at the plate in a clutch moment and whether or not he can knock in a run in a TIGHT game remains to be seen.

Phillies got Cabrera from the Mets. Great pick up. Maybe a one year rental, but this young group knew what position they needed help in, and filled in perfectly. They'll take whatever offense he gives, and don't get me wrong, he can still hit. Young Phillies squad wanting to make the postseason, they got a guy who's been there before and his hunger to take them back will help.

This goes back to my point EARLIER about Seattle bringing in Maybin. Everything I just said about Cabrera for the Phillies....none of that applies to Maybin for Seattle lol. Seattle didn't bring in a guy that can rely on his postseason experiences, and postseason chases (just trying to get in) to help rally the troops.

Anyone with any thoughts? Not just on trades/movements but also on how the game has changed from 10 years ago

I apologize in advance I didn’t read all way through post as I’m in bit of a rush but yes game has changed a ton. Those infield hits result of shifts but so are the low batting averages. If they had these shifts in last 3 decades the batting avg be similar to these. Shifts are taking away a unreal amount of what used to be hits. Used to be pull hitters would get plenty of ground ball singles thru holes but now that traditional hole between either 3rd and short or 2nd and 1st simply isn’t there. Sure hitters could adjust and slap ball other way but then it wound seriously effect their power/slug numbers for which how they get paid.

Another drastic shift in the game and one I could really do without is the acceptance of strikeouts in name of launch angle and swinging for the fences every pitch. Think this a direct result of the golden steroid era as without juice guys have to take this approach to put up comparable hr totals to that time and again that what gets them paid. I can’t stand how this has all but killed fundamentally sound situational baseball. Guys are not willing to sacrifice a ab to make contact and move runners over, not even for a rbi! Believe the 42% (give or take it been few weeks since I saw number so may have changed a little) of the time a runner scoring from 3rd with less than 2 outs is a all time low for the game and flat out sickens me!!

Then there the philosophy in pitching where everyone willing to sacrifice efficiency/working deep into games for strikeouts cause there no need to get past 5 innings when teams have a stable full of flamethrowers with one filthy secondary offering to come in for the 6-7-8-9th. Obviously besides shifts this another reason batting averages are down, didn’t used to be that you got 2 occasionally 3 abs vs a guy throwing as hard as he can while willing to throw plenty of balls then next 2 abs coming against guys throwing even harder!! Of course the shift in pitching philosophy helps lead to the swing for fences approach as it increasingly difficult to string together hits with all these factors working against hitters.,

I’d love to read all of your post and discuss more later but think things above pretty well outline/explain your question about batting averages.

Oh most definitely, this whole "launch angle" thing...I admit it's interesting and kind of cool from a statistical point of view, and pretty cool to analyze. But I feel like it's really hurt what used to be fundamental hitting. The use of computers/technology and sports science might actually hurt us a bit here. What's a "pure swing" anymore? I kind of view the launch angle effect on MLB like the 3pt/uptempo effect in the NBA. Kids see the uptempo/fast offenses and 3pt shooting in the NBA, and that's all they want to do now. We see evidence of that as the "big men" are no more. Kids are seeing this need to launch the baseball and are going to study it and try do it...and the evidence/trade off for that is the horrible batting averages/strike outs we've mentioned.

ADD generation wants runs. ADD generation does not care about small ball and strategy. It's not marketable either. Baseball will be in huge trouble once cord cutting generation takes over and cable TV packages die creating major issues for teams and their massive TV deals.

Mariners might get the most important pickup among all of the deadline deals when Cano's suspension is up in 10 days, I like the top 5/6 in their order.

I just realized the Braves batting line up...they have back to back hitters who are batting over .300 (Freeman and Marky Mark). Shit...just give them the trophy already for that feat alone.

Mariners might get the most important pickup among all of the deadline deals when Cano's suspension is up in 10 days, I like the top 5/6 in their order.

He won’t be allowed to play in playoffs tho correct? Think that how rule works.

Was never a Werth fan. Sorry he feels that way but it seems a little over blown or overreactive.

Back