The "Sheed Wallace Rule"..i.e. new officiating standards for 06-07

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
NBA promises zero tolerance for drama queens

The NBA might have given its players something to complain about this season -- something other than the new basketball.
In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.
"The thought process is we have the best athletes in the world, playing a spectacular game as well as it has ever been played," Stern said. "In my view it detracts from it, when a small handful of players spend their time negotiating and slowing the game down, at least in the perception of the fans, by engaging in an enterprise which is not productive."
Stern said a crackdown was long overdue.
"All it does is show a less attractive side to the greatest athletes in the world," Stern said Wednesday. "The coaches don't mind this because, as a result, it means the player will get back on defense rather than staying down to argue a call he didn't get on the offensive end."
Rasheed Wallace, for one, told the Detroit News he took the league's crackdown personally.
"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."
The league's fine system, which was introduced last season, includes a $1,000 fine for each of the first five, $1,500 for the next five, $2,000 for the next five, $2,500 for the ones that follow, and, in addition, a one-game suspension for every other technical after the 15th.
"What happens if I am one of the captains?" Wallace asked the News. "Does that mean I can't talk to them? You can't talk back to them like they're your mom and dad. It's like they're saying, 'If you say something to me I am going to put you on punishment.' That's how it is. I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."
Wallace was issued 16 technical fouls last season and a one-game suspension. It's reasonable to think, if referees consistently show zero tolerance, he could double that total.
"It'll be an adjustment for everybody in the league," the Heat's Dwyane Wade told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Heat coach Pat Riley believes players will still be able to express their opinions to officials, but will have to police their body language and tone of voice.
"They are going to be very conscious of player complaining," Riley said last week. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the officials. They're just telling them to cut it out."

Others want credit for new rule..including one Dwayne Wade..lol

MIAMI · It hasn't been labeled the Dwyane Wade Rule.

But, in some respects, an impending crackdown this season on demonstrative displays of displeasure with referees could place plenty of focus on the Heat guard.

Never one to hide his frustration over the lack of a foul call, Wade will find less tolerance this season than last season, when his nine technical fouls tied him for eighth in the NBA.

"They're going to be very conscious of player complaining," coach Pat Riley said of the dictate handed down by the league at a recent coaching meeting. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the official and they're just telling them to cut it out."

Wade acknowledged Friday that the zero-tolerance approach was made clear at a Tuesday officiating seminar at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"It'll be an adjustment for everybody in the league," the fourth-year guard said. "I think the main adjustment will be for your reaction after you make a mistake yourself or miss a shot yourself.

"A lot of times, you might say something loud, maybe a cuss word loud, or kick the ball or throw it against the basket support. And now that's a tech. I think that's going to be the biggest thing for me."

Riley, who grew agitated at times last season when Wade's displeasure with the officiating would leave the guard trailing a play defensively, said he will talk to his floor leader.

"It's how you approach them and how many times you approach them, and what you say to them," Riley said. "They're going to be open, always, to very positive dialogue. But if you come at 'em and you do things that sort of mock and humiliate them or you cuss at them, it's going to be automatic. They're not waiting."

Wade said one factor that remains in his favor is being a team captain.

"A lot of times, if you're a captain, they will listen to you after the fact," he said. "You can't go to them in the heat of the battle. You have to wait until things calm down."

Its obviously a touchy subject around league. A few ejections last night in preseason and many technical fouls. McMillan was visibly frustrated with the calls and FT's shot were enormous in each game.

Something to keep an eye on.

Sheed could well surpass 100 T's this season. Wade may even get suspended..lol.

i Always like To see a Football player who when Following a Touchdown simply Tosses The ball To The zebra And Trots Toward The Gatorade cooler.

This new hoops rule made me Think of That. ill like it if it encourages Guys To Just keep quiet And move on when Theyre whistled.

:shake:

It should be the AI or toine rule.. those guys bitch more than my ex girl

Will players be allowed to wear "tights" again this year?

inside1-2006-2-10-bucks-tights.jpg

"It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

an_laugh.gif
not in this case dumbass!!

Back