The Saints and the Chargers

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
So, I'm wondering why two of the things I liked the most today I was so off on.

This is an honest question, I'm not looking for 'cause you're an idiot' or whatever, I'm really trying to figure this out.

Here were the things I was willing to overlook in Tampa:

The heat.
TB off a loss, first game at home.
How TB has played NO tough in years past.

Here's what made me hot on NO:

Embarrassing loss on national TV to start the year.
No offensive production in week one and a team that got worn down by Seattle and started to give up points.
A better QB
Cadillac hurting.

Maybe it's just one game, and you can say NO just didn't show up. But this one is confusing to me.

Likewise on SD.

Again, there were some things I overlooked willingly:

Norv Turner as head coach.
LT calling the Pats cheaters.
Phillip Rivers not looking terribly good last week.

I do have reasons I bet this team, and again, maybe it's just gone wrong. But right now I'm looking at these two teams and they do not look of the same class and I'm wondering how others felt about that going into this game.

Maybe SD has taken a step back, or maybe they've only taken a half step back and NE has really taken a step forward.

This is more of discussion of the teams in question I'm thinking of, and would appreciate thoughts.

SD with Norv in control will go nowhere. He had not proven yet. P. Rivers doesn't have the skill to lead his team to Disneyland. Keeping LT out of preseason game wouldn't do any good for the team.I understook that they keep him fresh for the season rather than risking injuries but it certainly affected the flow of the Off. unit. Let Marty ball go to get N. Turner is a bad decision by the mgnt. They lost to NE last year in the playoff game can't be blamed on him because he had no handle on the def. player fumbled after they got the turnover.

Hopefully some more experienced cappers will jump in, but I will throw out my two cents. By the way, I was with you on NO, but against you with the Pats. My thought on NO were that they were on the road against the Super Bowl champs, and realistically you expected them to lose. They actually played Indy tough through the first half before being blown out in the 2nd half. TB had played Seattle tough through a half, but after having a terrible season last season, and having trouble settling on a QB this season, you just don't think of them in the same class as the Saints. This game and the Cincy game were really no brainer bets for me, which should have set off alarm bells. Looking at NO going forward, I'm wondering two things: are they missing Joe Horn, because they aren't stretching the field they did last year, and what's up with their offensive line, because they aren't opening the running holes they did last year. Not sure what is going on with them, but I will stay away for the rest of the season as they could be in for a big letdown.

The Patriots pick was a desperation pick for me because I had gone 1-4 in my early bets, and I wanted to do a monster bet at the end of the day to catch up. And I just asked myself, if you wanted to win money, who would you trust? Brady and Belichek or Rivers and Turner? That answer was frightfully easy.

Rivers doesn't have the skill to lead his team to Disneyland.

That's really funny. I like it.

are they missing Joe Horn, because they aren't stretching the field they did last year, and what's up with their offensive line, because they aren't opening the running holes they did last year.

Two really good questions. I don't know the answers, either. I do know that Brees really isn't a field-stretcher kind of guy, though. He's just generally extremely efficient. That's what brought his career back in SD. When he learned to just take what people gave him he became someone to fear because he can throw a great medium ball and his decisions seem very solid, generally.

Now if teams are loading up the middle somehow, you're right, he's going to have to find a way to get over the top of them once or twice to back them off, but they also need to find a way to run--something that speaks to your other question.

Again, I don't know. I know I was told that their line was supposed to be fine going into the season. That was my issue with them all last year, I never understood how that defense and that offensive line jelled like that.

Maybe they both played over their heads given the emotion surrounding the team and the town, I don't know, but when Jeff Faine gets shown the door in Cleveland and the next year is starting in the NFC Championship, I can only shake my head.

Maybe that step to 8-8 that the Saints vaulted over last year in their worst-to-first turnaround is what they're going back and making up for this year.

I'm not sure yet, but they've thrown a wrench into my thoughts on 'em.

As for NO,yes you are right, TB almost alway gave NO hard time over years. After all summer preparing for their season opener against the champ with all the hype ,the big ambarrassing loss on national TV game is a let down. NO is not the team make to turn around quickly.You can wait until week 5 to jump on its banwagon after the break vs CAR. By that time you will have a favorable odd I think.

I think the problem with N.O. is their defense. Look at what an avg offense did to them today. The cornerback, i forget his name, yeah the one Reggie Wayne destroyed in week 1 got burned by Joey Galloway today also. Look for him to get benched.

It's Jason David and he isn't going to get benched. He has been used to the Cover 2 and is still learned how to play true man to man. He got the big bucks for a reason and they aren't going to bench him. He is by far their best corner, which doesn't say that much.

Norv Turner sucks and I still layed money with him being the hC.

great OC

Horrible HC.

I dont know what the hell is wrong with the saints. I was way off on both of these plays.

It's Jason David and he isn't going to get benched. He has been used to the Cover 2 and is still learned how to play true man to man. He got the big bucks for a reason and they aren't going to bench him. He is by far their best corner, which doesn't say that much.

Mike Mckenzie>>Jason David

NOLA Saints:

O-line overperformed last season and is now being exposed. They give Brees no time, hence the high-octane offense is gone.

Sean Payton needs to learn to run the fucking ball on 1st down! I'm sick of watching an incomplete pass on 1st, run up the middle for 2-3 yds on 2nd, then the defense knowing the Saints are going to pass on 3rd -- it's too fucking predictable and hopefully Payton realizes that soon or the Saints will be a below-.500 team this season.

Against the Bears in the NFC champ game last year, Payton acknowledged that he did not use McAllister enough versus the Cover 2 scheme the Bears run on defense; he vowed to not make the same mistake. Colts and Bucs have Cover 2 defenses, and Payton still does not use Deuce(I believe the stat is 20 carries in the first 2 games). And Payton did not use Eric Johnson, the TE, versus the Bucs -- I am beginning to doubt Sean Payton's competence as a head coach in the NFL.

Oh, and the Saints defense is still shit, but that should be obvious to everyone.

The most confusing thing to me is Tampa's loss to Seattle. I know traveling cross country hurts, but you think that wouldn't be as bad in your first game. I think Seattle is just not good, so that loss doesn't make sense with this win. This might just be a case of Tampa being underrated and NO being overrated; but their lack of offense just doesn't make sense.

I was against you on the the SD pic for one reason and one reason only.
Phillips is NOT the TRUTH, he is SUSPECT, I've been saying it since the beginning of last year. Oh do not overlook the FACT that the Patriots are the superior team. The Pats are flat out a better football team which is why they won. Great statement made by Billichek and co.

As far as NO is concerned I totally agree with you here. I have no idea how these fucking pansies gave this one up. It is completely beyond me. Fucking Tampa Bay are fyou ucking kidding me.....This bet single handedly fucked my day up. Unbelievable

New England has taken a huge leap forward as far as talent is conerned. Mark my words that trio of WR's is going to dominate this season. I've been trying to tell everyone about that cutter ass dude, Welker. He was owning yesterday along with Moss. I love the pats because they aren't scared to throw the ball down there throats. I love how Billichek went for that TD at the end instead of the FG. Thats how you make a statement.

Last edited:
was against you on the the SD pic for one reason and one reason only.
Phillips is NOT the TRUTH, he is SUSPECT, I've been saying it since the beginning of last year. Oh do not overlook the FACT that the Patriots are the superior team.

You got that right, on both counts. It looks like Sophomore Slump time for Rivers and yep, the Pats are just better this year. Flat out better.

You're also right no Bill B., that's exactly how you make a statement and bettors appreciate that s**t.

There's just so much heat on that team right now, I don't know how much I can bet 'em. Because you know what happens when every single person tries to climb on board the gravy train.

was against you on the the SD pic for one reason and one reason only.
Phillips is NOT the TRUTH, he is SUSPECT, I've been saying it since the beginning of last year. Oh do not overlook the FACT that the Patriots are the superior team.

You got that right, on both counts. It looks like Sophomore Slump time for Rivers and yep, the Pats are just better this year. Flat out better.

You're also right no Bill B., that's exactly how you make a statement and bettors appreciate that s**t.

There's just so much heat on that team right now, I don't know how much I can bet 'em. Because you know what happens when every single person tries to climb on board the gravy train.

I know all to well JP beleive me, as soon as people start riding the train is exactly when it crashes, but I do believe this time is different, at least I hope:prayer. The PATS really are the REAL F-IN DEAL. I see no weak points on there team and when Seymour and Harrison comeback its CURTAINS. You are looking at this years superbowl team, IMHO. They have too much great talent and coaching to fail this year. Billichek is a BEAST :cheers:

Whats are your thoughts on tonites MNF game. I'm leaning towards to philly -6.5 and the under. BOL

I have some thoughts in the Skins/Eagles thread. Let's just say I'm pretty high on the Birds.

I like 6.5 more than 7, for obvious reasons, but my hope and feeling is that shouldn't much matter unless Philly turns the ball over a lot.

Currently I've got a pretty good sized play on the Eagles. Nothing through the roof, but larger than average.

I didnt see the Saints game so take what I say with the proverbial grain of salt, but I was under the impression that Payton was a good coach. Maybe thats just because he seems to own Jim Johnson, but whatever. The only thing I can think of with the Saints is last year they were riding the whole 'we're america's team and playing for the katrina victims' angle. This year thats not there. Its gotta be somewhat of an emotional let down. Itll be interesting to see how they play at home.

As for the Chargers, New England just wanted it more. And Rivers played like shit. And they got down early and when that happens, LT gets taken out of the game to a certain extent and thats not good for San Diego. I wouldnt be ready to give up on them though, theyve faced two pretty damn tough defenses so far and think they have the talent to bounce back. Id be shocked (SHOCKED!) if they didnt win the AFC West.

The most troubling development of the weekend for me at least is I fear we are going to be hearing more of the 'No one respects us' angle from the Patriots all year. Give me a fucking break. Nobody wants to hear it and youre cheaters. YOU ARE FILTHY NO GOOD DIRTY ROTTEN CHEATERS. I cant wait till the Karma Gods blow out Bradys ACL in week 11.

Back